Idea for realsing creations

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Idea for realsing creations
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #25
If the game were restructured to include creating defensive strongholds and your own little guarded safe-havens periodically as a part of strategy, then maybe these immobile creations could have a purpose.

For instance, suppose that randomly spawning monsters could appear even without NPC spawners around under the premise that the area is not cleared. Going back to town would be a long, involved, and dangerous process, so you need to create your own points to rest at along the way.

Your own spawner, revitalizing vats, etc., would have great use then.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #26
That and lets say part of a quest would to build up the defenses of a town or village before it gets attacked.

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #27
Then your quest or mission would have to involve acting as a conscripted commander of the defenses or something to that effect. Sounds like RTS to me.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #28
There are already several places where you have to defend things. There's no RTS involved. Turrets and other fixed defenses would require some time to set up, though, and time usually isn't something you get a lot of before defending.

—Alorael, who wishes the cowering civilians who are supposed to be protected at all costs would cower more and valiantly charge less.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #29
Ooooh..releasing your creations sounds interesting. Too bad the shapers made their creations not able to reproduce. Poor rogues. They get fragged without even making out with their own kind.

--------------------
Oh you're a cute Adze-Haakai you are..
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #30
Not true. Or not always true. At least some creations are able to reproduce and are in fact encouraged to do so in order to save valuable shaper time and energy.

—Alorael, who thinks this may relate to creation type a bit. Nobody is horribly disturbed by, say, mating fyoras. Even artilas are probably okay as long as they aren't disturbing the peace. Vlishes, on the other hand...
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #31
Perhaps some areas should have wandering rogues that come from mating, rather than always from a spawner. It would be like extermination of rabbits... that breathe fire.

--------------------
====
====
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #32
From what I remember, which admittedly isn't much, spawners weren't the major source of rogues in any game past GF1. They certainly aren't in GF4.

—Alorael, who actually hasn't been running into all that many rogues at all. It's the creations that have perfectly legitimate and organized reasons for wanting to eat you that you have to worry about now.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #33
You should go back and look at Litalia's island-terrorizing spawners in GF3.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 7385
Profile #34
I think many of these ideas could have great usages if their were more attack/defend scenerios. You could build stationary creations to help defend the town, or, if you're playing for the other side, you could let loose an army of rogue fyoras in the shaper capital or whatever. (Please let us see it, Jeff!)

P.S.
In the begining of GF4, it says that Dangerous creation are never made capable of reproducing.0

P.P.S.
That would be a good way to get free new creations... "Select Eyebeast 1. Option-Click Eyebeast 2. Select "Mate". *screen goes black* Enjoy your newly created Eyebeast!"

--------------------
The Lottery is a tax on people who can't do math.

Live forever or die trying!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Originally written by Azdimoyne:

P.S.
In the begining of GF4, it says that Dangerous creation are never made capable of reproducing.

They said that in Jurassic Park too, and we all know how that turned out :P

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #36
I have no doubt the creations can get around any controls the Shapers could impose. What they can't get around is Jeff's G rating.

Anyway, Eyebeasts just like to watch.

[ Sunday, August 20, 2006 12:49: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 7333
Profile #37
I actually like the idea of creating creations that can mate. It would just have to be set up where it wouldn't be as effective as shaping one but still useful enough to be a viable way to make new creations if you aren't in a rush for when they have to join. It would also require you to keep the mother unit alive until it could lay an egg of give birth, and then you'd have to keep the offspring alive and manage to level it up until it developed into an adult creation after reaching a certain level.

It's not really that bad of an idea, or probably even that hard to implement, but I still doubt it's going to happen any time soon.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #38
If creations can mate, then our PCs creations shouldn't be able to. That's just cheating practically!

--------------------
Pass the sauerkraut and chips please.
Warrior
Member # 7099
Profile #39
I dont like the idea of releasing creations. Bad idea. Andas for the mating thing. Only Serviles can mate remember? Duh. Also, even if it were possible... Naw, i dont like that either. I'd much rather be able to make my fyora into a cryoa. That would be sweeter. And both resemble pokemon to much

--------------------
I like everyone...I just like some people more than others!
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #40
quote:
Andas for the mating thing. Only Serviles can mate remember? Duh. Also, even if it were possible...
It is possible for creations to mate. Here:

text1 = "This battle alpha is extremely old. He may be the father (or mother, you're not sure) of this clan. He stares morosely into the fire. He is not as strong and confident as the others.";

This was in G1. I was also under the impression that the reason most creations weren't able to breed was because they were shaped specifically not to.

--------------------
"I knocked him out, but I managed to hit the reply button before he fell down."-The person behind him.
Warrior
Member # 7099
Profile #41
quote:
Originally written by Major:

quote:
Andas for the mating thing. Only Serviles can mate remember? Duh. Also, even if it were possible...
It is possible for creations to mate. Here:

text1 = "This battle alpha is extremely old. He may be the father (or mother, you're not sure) of this clan. He stares morosely into the fire. He is not as strong and confident as the others.";

This was in G1. I was also under the impression that the reason most creations weren't able to breed was because they were shaped specifically not to.

Lol, oddly, i havnt played all of GF1 yet. Sadly. And in GF2 it says something about only serviles can mate. Either in the very begining, or when you encounter the guardian looking after his serviles, and you can convinve him to help you kill rouges in the next section. Sry, i can never remember names

--------------------
I like everyone...I just like some people more than others!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #42
That's because, in general, they're bred not to be able to mate. But then there are Shapers who let them breed because it's more convenient then shaping a lot, or the ones where shaping them not to breed doesn't work.

--------------------
====
====
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #43
Serviles and ornks are generally made to be able to breed. The other creations have it all buried in their DNA somewhere, I imagine.

To me, this whole topic deals with a fundamental question about how creations and their shapers are related: why do our creations tie up our maximum essence reserves for as long as they are alive?

--------------------
====
====
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #44
Originally by Garrison:

quote:
To me, this whole topic deals with a fundamental question about how creations and their shapers are related: why do our creations tie up our maximum essence reserves for as long as they are alive?
Mostly just for game balance. However, NPC Shapers have difficulty keeping their creations under control if they are trying to control too many, so Dikiyoba suspects that the connection between a Shaper and his or her creation is mostly mental.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #45
I was always under the impression that the essence was tied up in the creation to keep them alive. If the essence wasn't with the creation it would die immediantly.

--------------------
Pass the sauerkraut and chips please.
Warrior
Member # 7067
Profile #46
quote:
I was always under the impression that the essence was tied up in the creation to keep them alive. If the essence wasn't with the creation it would die immediantly.
No, that wouldn't work. Because you can't absorb a rogue creation. So it's probably more of a mind thing.

--------------------
"I knocked him out, but I managed to hit the reply button before he fell down."-The person behind him.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #47
Essence is used to create instant creations and to keep them from melting into sludge. Unfortunately, absorbing them requires willingness, so when they go rogue they also abscond with your essence.

Permanent creations grown with vats and tubes and big crystals don't permanently tie up essence, sometimes breed, and are far more likely to develop egos that cause them to go rogue, start rebelling against their erstwhile overlords, and so on.

—Alorael, who is sure that the ornks are behind everything somehow.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #48
That is the connection between releasing creations and essence. If essence were, in the context of the Geneforge universe, being constantly used to maintain the very physical form of the creation, then releasing it would be impossible without permanently reducing your essence cap. It just doesn't make sense; that is, unless you shape something out of your own essence and then fortify it with a shaping vat while reabsorbing what it originally drained from you.

--------------------
====
====
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #49
Drayks are able to mate (refer to G1).

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche

Pages