Geneforge world geographical questioning.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Geneforge world geographical questioning.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #0
What is the name of the geneforge world? What is the other continent controlled by shapers? Where are the Sholai from? Maybe the sholai are the Empire people from avernum games? :eek:

[ Saturday, March 10, 2007 14:12: Message edited by: Dark Mage ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
Geneforge and Avernum are entirely separate worlds.

—Alorael, who will leave it there. There are many reasons why a link is implausible, but more importantly there are no signs that anyone in Geneforge is from the Avernum games or vice versa.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
I'm pretty sure the Geneforge world as a whole doesn't have an official name, so you may as well call it Nairamre.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #3
There is no name for the world, really. The continent that Geneforge 4 takes place on is called Terrestia. It's pretty much the biggest landmass encountered so far, so it's as close as you'll get for a name of the world.

The Shapers live on the same continent, but on the Western half, so it has the same name. We don't know how big it is, there could be a lot more, or not. We don't know the name of where the Sholai live. We do know the Ashen Ises. And we assume that Drypeak Vale is somewhere in Western Terrestia.

--------------------
You lose.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #4
Ignore Crypto. Call it GeneWorld.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Warrior
Member # 8285
Profile #5
If the Shapers rule the world maby its called Shapetopia???

--------------------
A duke is just a duke but you see, I am "The Duke"
Apprentice
Member # 3612
Profile #6
The world of Geneforge is as big or small as you want to imagine. I'd imagine it is very much bigger though since crossing a zone on foot is sometimes refered to as a days journey.

I'd guess the Shaper's main continent would be many hundreds of zones across. I don't think it is even fully colonized because they are still building colonies and shaping plant forms that haven't spread across the world yet. I'm guessing "middle ages" population levels, small pockets of population centers, and many miles of wilderness.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #7
Well, their main continent would probably be in much better shape than Terrestria, even before the Rebels attacked.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
Originally by Dark Mage:

quote:
Where are the Sholai from?
The only description Dikiyoba knows of for the Sholai lands comes from Masha in G1. It is a cold, harsh, icy land somewhere across the western sea.
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #9
I wonder if we ever will get to see the more settled continent of the Shapers. It is said that that is where the most Shapers are, so far you have stayed on (or just off) of their second, less settled continent.

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #10
BELIEVE me that if one day jeff makes a game based in a very populated continent it would only be in case that the entire continent is dying and you won't see almost anyone anyway...Just think; Terrestia should be great but it's destroyed...Valorim should be great too, specially Tinraya but it were a mess in A3.

If we ever see Pralgad we will only be there to see the ruins and ashes of the great continent. THAT IS WHAT SPIDERWEB GAMES ARE ALL ABOUT.

Edit: Sorry for taking pralgad as example, it may be confusing to some new people, pralgad is the capital continent in avernum games but it's the biggest continent I can think of.

[ Tuesday, March 13, 2007 12:42: Message edited by: Dark Mage ]
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #11
Well, it makes sense that we never see densely populated areas. As the adventuring type, your character needs monsters, rogues, and other baddies to kill. Those are prevalent in the wilderness, not in and around cities. And densely populated areas don't have nearly as many quests, because there are couriers and guards and such to help keep order. Finally, doing dialogue for all the people would just be too difficult to do. So we're stuck in areas without a lot of people.

Dikiyoba.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #12
Yeah you're right, otherwise the game would be about assassinating people or releasing a deadly power or something intended for killing people, not monsters.
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #13
Don't the Shapers control two continents?
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #14
Yeah, the one we haven't seen is where there power base is

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #15
I'm pretty sure it was just one continent, where did you hear two?

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #16
I think it was somewhere in GF3. It wasn't in GF1, since it only referred to it as the Mainland, and I don't think it was mentioned in GF2 either.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #17
It's worth pointing out that G1-4 all occur relatively close to each other. Sucia Island, while in the middle of the ocean, is described as being not too far from Dillame (yes, Dillame is mentioned in G1). Drypeak Valley is just west of Burwood Province, and the Ashen Isles are north of the northeast part of Terrestia.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Slarty:

Sucia Island, while in the middle of the ocean, is described as being not too far from Dillame (yes, Dillame is mentioned in G1).
Really? That's strange. If the Sholai lands are West of Sucia, but Sucia is East of Terrestia (it would have to be in order to be near Dillame) then wouldn't that mean Trajkov would have to pass Terrestia in order to get to Sucia? Great, I feel like one of those nerds that over-analyses Star Trek or something.

--------------------
You lose.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #19
Well, who knows what that one Sholai meant by the western sea. Western relative to the Sholai homeland, maybe?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #20
But it wasn't Masha who said the western sea. It was the PC (though indirectly).

Hmm. Does it ever say that the Sholai are from the west? They traveled across the western sea for sure, but could they have sailed from the south or north?

Dikiyoba.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #21
Thyey probably came from the Northwest or something. They most likely came from the north since they came from a cold and icy place. They also could have come from the south.

A much less likely scenario is that the map isn't up=north, down=south etc.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #22
I apologize for this image's condition, imageshack likes to butcher them when I choose the resize option.

Anyway... does this seem at all plausible?

IMAGE(http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/3471/geneworlddi5.gif)

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #23
Terrestia definitely isn't the only shaper continent.

From the Geneforge 3 intro:

IMAGE(http://www.anthonygoreham.net/jpg/gf3introscreenshot.jpg)

Sorry Tully, time to redraw the map...

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #24
Damn it, you couldn't have posted that when I asked about it a few posts ago? Oh, well. Just imagine another continent to the South or possibly West. North is unlikely since that is where the Ashen Isles are and East is unlikely because then they would have to pass Sucia to travel between the two.

Does anyone have the exact "Western Sea" text?

Hmm... what if the world is round?

--------------------
You lose.

Pages