Geneforge world geographical questioning.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Geneforge world geographical questioning.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #25
Ack. ET, I have to apologize; Drypeak isn't west of Burwood, it's west of Illya. I mixed up the province names.

Anyway, that doesn't look terribly plausible.

I looked up the "western sea" references in G1. There are actually two. One is just the narration, as Dikiyoba pointed out. The other is Gnorrel (the leader of the Takers, and Trajkov's ally). Here's all the relevant text plus the text about Sucia and Dillame's location:

GNORREL: "There are humans on this island, who have come from far across the western sea"

MASHA: "We are people from land far away. Icy land, harsh, across sea. We are great explorers, so we came here." This makes sense. No Shaper has ever crossed the western sea. Some consider it to be impassable.

ENDING: You depart Sucia island at last, setting course for the mainland. The island was not as remote as you imagined it. It is only fifty miles from the nearest Shaper settlement. Fifty miles and two centuries. In but a day, you arrive at the coastal settlement of Dillame. There are a dozen Shapers there, working to tame this wild coast, populate it with friendly fauna, and make it safe for settlement.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #26
I suppose if we can't make the geography make sense, we can always assume there's more than one settlement named Dillame.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #27
I've got it! The world is round! Assuming the Shapers know that the world is round (most early earthly cultures had no trouble with this one) and also assuming that the 'other continent' is where the capital is located (Dillame, one of the bigger cities in Terrestia, is refered to as 'wild') then I can explain the rest!

The Western Sea would be named for it's location relative to where the capital continent is, same with the Eastern Sea. Thus, Terresita is across from the Eastern Sea. However, since the Shapers are unable to traverse the Western Sea, they probably assume (mmm, ethnocentrism) that there must be nothing out there and the sea therefore loops around the globe where it then borders with Eastern Terrestia. That explains why the Western Sea borders Eastern Terrestia.

Little do the Shapers know, the Sholai lands are right in the middle of their supposesly monolithic Western Sea. Behold:

IMAGE(http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7741/mapensiect3.gif)

--------------------
You lose.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #28
Actually, the Shapers do know that the Sholai live across the Western Sea. And, since their lands are referred to as cold and hostile, try moving them up north, so they're not in between the two Shaper continents.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #29
They know now, of course, but what I'm saying is that they didn't know it when they named their seas. As for the Sholai continent being more North, that is one possibility, but not the only reason as to why it might be so cold there. Ocean currents and elevation are just as likely. I'll leave it as an ambiguous blob for now.

[ Friday, March 16, 2007 17:27: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #30
I'd thought of this idea myself, but there are a couple of problems with it. For one thing, I don't think we ever hear "western sea" used as a proper noun rather than simply a descriptive term.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

I'd thought of this idea myself
I said it first! I get to name it! 'The Tullegolar Projection' should do.

Anyway, I don't think capitalization is necessary when your seas are named just for their directions relative to a specific point (the Shaper home continent). When the PC thinks "no Shaper has ever crossed the western sea" he is clearly refering to a specific sea, and most likely not just the sea west of Sucia.

--------------------
You lose.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7723
Profile #32
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

[QUOTE]Great, I feel like one of those nerds that over-analyses Star Trek or something.
Yeah, I think your feeling is dead on. :P
Shock Trooper
Member # 7143
Profile #33
I always pictured the two Shaper continents connected, but having some geographical obstical between them (ie mountains) or something like North and South America.

--------------------
"After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one."
- Cato the Elder (234-149 BC)

"The mind, if it exists, is nothing but an unfortunate after effect of the brain process."
-Kripke

"One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly."
-Friedich Nietzche
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #34
The two continents connected makes sense to me too.

--------------------
Milla-Displacer Beastie

This is also a good site
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #35
But then where would I put the eastern sea?

--------------------
You lose.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #36
quote:
Originally written by Stillness:

quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

[QUOTE]Great, I feel like one of those nerds that over-analyses Star Trek or something.
Yeah, I think your feeling is dead on. :P

*Reaches for phaser rifle*

Are you suggesting something?

--------------------
The force is with ME! I'm not so sure about YOU!

Trust me, you do not want to click this link

Pages