Really anticipated ideas for A5??

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Really anticipated ideas for A5??
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #75
Well, either command or control is already taken for the description screen, and a combination would be horribly annoying, so shift seems best. It's big and not easily hit by accident.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #76
The selling cursor is a very good suggestion. Alternately, just making the place you have to click bigger would do wonders. This is an example of an easily fixable interface problem.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 7032
Profile #77
But I also want to be able to organize my inventory while the merchant screen is open. And It did occasionally happen to me I accidentally sold an item I just wanted to move.

Just making the "selling-corner" bigger would cause more unwanted sells.

--------------------
_ _ _____________________________ _ _
Power to (the) Mas(ses)
Apprentice
Member # 8197
Profile #78
Bigger Inventory screen? In av4, when you had your inventory open, you could see all of the buttons on the right side of the screen, but you couldn't click them :( . So, why are they still visible if you can't click them?

[ Monday, March 26, 2007 07:28: Message edited by: Zalatar ]

--------------------
I forget... What do I do after I kill Pygoras?
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #79
I don't know if this has already been said, but I'm gonna say it anyway. Don't make movement in A5 like Geneforge and A4! Let us use the Numeric Keypad to move. It's easier , and keeps me from constantly hearing that 'click' sound that my mouse makes.

It's probably even too late to say something like that, huh? :confused: :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #80
"I don't know if this has already been said, but I'm gonna say it anyway. Don't make movement in A5 like Geneforge and A4! Let us use the Numeric Keypad to move."

Is this joke? You can use the keypad to move for both Windows and Mac Avernum 4. And, of course, I have no plan to change this.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #81
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

"I don't know if this has already been said, but I'm gonna say it anyway. Don't make movement in A5 like Geneforge and A4! Let us use the Numeric Keypad to move."

Is this joke? You can use the keypad to move for both Windows and Mac Avernum 4. And, of course, I have no plan to change this.

- Jeff Vogel

I love you, man.

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Apprentice
Member # 8411
Profile #82
I've read these forums many times as well as play all the games. But I've never posted here until now. To be quite honest I find A4 a major disappointment, the geneforge version of spiderwebs engine should have stayed with geneforge. It should not have been crossed over to Avernum, almost all of the artwork was also crossed over, I don't mind some artwork being crossed over, but when almost all of the art as well as char models, monsters etc is crossed over and a plot slapped on it kind of losses its uniqueness. I understand that a small company often needs to use their art in most of their games and not make new art because it consumes a lot of time. But please, at least make more unique art and not just copy it all.

Also the games seem to have been losing detail ever since exile and the first nethergate version. The move to avernum and geneforge seemed to show a lot less detail in the artwork as well as less non text content in my opinion.

Anyways, my two cents, I'm most likely going to be flamed but eh.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #83
quote:
Originally written by Drakemoore:

Anyways, my two cents, I'm most likely going to be flamed but eh.
You're not. Plenty of people here agree with you about A4.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #84
On the other hand, I've never played Geneforge, so the engine and graphics were pretty and new to me.

--------------------
We all agree on the necessity of compromise. We just can't agree on when it's necessary to compromise.
- Larry Wall
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #85
The best thing that was transferred from Geneforge was the character inventory system. Otherwise the older players hated large amounts of the Geneforge influence.

Jeff has said that most of our complaints will be addressed starting with a decent plot. Also the return of elevations and boats that made Avernum so special,
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #86
Originally by Randomizer:

quote:
The best thing that was transferred from Geneforge was the character inventory system.
Really? Dikiyoba hated that inventory/encumbrance system. Dikiyoba isn't really sure why it was so annoying to Dikiyoba, but it was.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #87
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Dikiyoba isn't really sure why it was so annoying to Dikiyoba, but it was.
You like organized inventory, with weapons separate from quest items, potions, combat items, etc. The Geneforge system doesn't separate stuff like that. Ergo, annoyance.

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #88
No, that's not it, because the inventory system in G4 doesn't bother me hardly at all. If anything, you have more control because you can put things wherever you want in the inventory now.

I guess it was a combination of factors that added up in a way they hadn't in other games, because almost everything that bothered me appeared in a different game without me having problems.

First, I'm an obsessive-compulsive gamer who has to pick up everything I see right now and not later after I've killed off every monster in the area. But there's nowhere to put the stuff--I can't throw all the useless stuff outside and have it be gone forever, or jump zones to drop stuff off--so I spent a lot of time encumbered. Dealing with one encumbered person is manageable, but two or three or four is a real pain. And then, finally, putting everything down was slightly annoying because you have to move your mouse to all of the individual squares instead of just one repeatedly and drop it off in a small box in the corner of the screen as opposed to wherever in the main playing screen.

Dikiyoba.

[ Friday, March 30, 2007 14:57: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #89
quote:
Originally written by Arch-Mage Solberg:

I don't know if this has already been said, but I'm gonna say it anyway. Don't make movement in A5 like Geneforge and A4! Let us use the Numeric Keypad to move. It's easier , and keeps me from constantly hearing that 'click' sound that my mouse makes.

It's probably even too late to say something like that, huh? :confused: :cool:

I don't remember writing this! What's going on here? :confused:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #90
Eh? It's probably Salmon stealth-hacking your posts after that argument you had. Or you're contracting short-term memory loss. Taking any pills or medications? Oh, wait, you wouldn't remember. . .

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #91
quote:
Originally written by Meta-Undead Spokesmage:

Eh? It's probably Salmon stealth-hacking your posts after that argument you had. Or you're contracting short-term memory loss. Taking any pills or medications? Oh, wait, you wouldn't remember. . .
1. I don't believe Salmon hacked into my account.
2. I don't take any pills or medications.

But something is still not right! :(

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #92
You wouldn't happen to have a sibling who might post here, would you?

—Alorael, who advises you to invent one if you don't. They make great transparent internet excuses.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #93
Umm, whose phone number is that, Alo? If it is a phone number.

So, after beta-testing both A4 and G4, my feedback to Jeff has been to request more keystroke shortcuts for everything. Anything that is done with great repetition needs a non mouse-reliant, streamlined way to execute. Selling items was ironically faster in the older Averna games because you could leave the mouse cursor in one place and rapid sell item after item as they sprung up in the list display. That was okay, I suppose. I get irritated fast when I have to mouse from item to item to item to item to item to item to item and click in just the right little corner to sell things off, something done with GREAT repetition in all these games.

So, I pray twice daily to the gods of all that is holy and pure that A5 will include keystrokes to toggle through inventory and be able to sell item after item by hitting one key repeatedly or something of the like. Or do a group select in a capture window/box and be able to sell everything inside it at once. Or even sell all items from, say, slot 7 to slot 23, where you could type in 7 and 23 and convert everything in those slots to coin with one stroke of the Return key.

Oh please. Anything besides point and click. Mouse usage = carpal tunnel and cursage.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #94
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

I'm an obsessive-compulsive gamer who has to pick up everything I see right now and not later after I've killed off every monster in the area. But there's nowhere to put the stuff--I can't throw all the useless stuff outside and have it be gone forever, or jump zones to drop stuff off--so I spent a lot of time encumbered.
And to compound matters, sticks don't stack (and the same goes for many other items) so you soon run out of inventory slots...

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #95
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

Oh please. Anything besides point and click. Mouse usage = carpal tunnel and cursage.
And now you know why they call it a mouse cursor.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #96
quote:
Originally written by 458-218-9951:

You wouldn't happen to have a sibling who might post here, would you?

—Alorael, who advises you to invent one if you don't. They make great transparent internet excuses.

I do have a sister who uses my computer, but she knows NOTHING about these games. It had to have been by someone who knows the games (somewhat). But to say something like what was said (in what is supposed to be) my post is just totally retarded. I even asked her if she posted anything here and she told me that she doesn't visit the sites I go to. :cool:

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #97
Whoever posted it wrote just like you, and use the graemlins just like you...

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #98
quote:
Originally written by Hawkwind:

Aran's plot to take over the world with clones must extend to other Spiderwebbers...

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #99
quote:
Originally written by Hawkwind:

The writing could look like anyone's. The only way it 'looks' like mine is because of the graemlins. Anyone can use those just like me. :cool:

--------------------

Pages