Geneforge 4: "Not a Shaper"

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Geneforge 4: "Not a Shaper"
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #0
From the Spidweb newsletter, on Geneforge 4: "And, unlike the earlier Geneforge games, you will NOT play a Shaper."

To me, at least, this comes as a welcome change after G3. I'm psyched. So... whaddaya think? Human, servile, or minotaur?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 6629
Profile Homepage #1
Human or minotaur. Not a servile.

A servile's plot would go some thing like this: Servile born. Servile plant crops. Servile gain intelligence (somehow)

Then: Servile get killed by scared humans/sholai/shapers

Or: Servile wins war after many unbelievable plot twists.

--------------------
"When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #2
There are lots of examples of serviles who didn't follow those paths. Most productively, the G2 Awakened. If they could modify themselves to use magic, shaping doesn't seem like it would be so out of the question.

The Awakened may be gone, but it does seem that Jeff will have to invent some kind of third element, some "other" (much like the Vahnatai in Ex/Av) in order for the story to really progress at all. The war is too massive, the powers involved too great, for anything interesting to happen otherwise. I suppose this could be the Sholai's cue to return.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6629
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
If they could modify themselves to use magic, shaping doesn't seem like it would be so out of the question.

I disagree. one of the things which 'was' the Geneforge trilogy was the fact that you could join any of the sides. As a magical Servile with an army of creations, I wonder how many Shapers are going to let you join them...

[ Thursday, January 05, 2006 20:44: Message edited by: Inthrall ]

--------------------
"When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane."
Warrior
Member # 3480
Profile Homepage #4
I would rather be a dryak then a servile.
Posts: 169 | Registered: Wednesday, September 24 2003 07:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #5
Hmm. Khyryk and Sharon, perhaps, if they decided to grow spines. You're probably right, though. So, barring a minotaur invasion or a truly horrendous Avernum crossover, that suggests either the Sholai or a regular joe.

I suppose Jeff could surprise us by replacing the shaping mechanic with something else. I'd sure be surprised...

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:

The Awakened may be gone, but it does seem that Jeff will have to invent some kind of third element, some "other" (much like the Vahnatai in Ex/Av) in order for the story to really progress at all. The war is too massive, the powers involved too great, for anything interesting to happen otherwise.
Maybe some creations could get (somehow) too much intelligence and rule some lands like humanoid beings! :D

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
Like the drakons in GF2?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #8
You could still have the Awakened. Maybe not a bunch of magical serviles, but a group of disaffected ordinary humans with some intelligent serviles around. The problem with the Awakened is that they have an admirable cause but no power to support it. Which is probably the only reason their cause sounds good.

At least the joining the Awakened got decent ending for them in G2.

Dikiyoba.
Apprentice
Member # 5900
Profile #9
Well, I had no good expectations for Geneforge 4, but the "Not a Shaper" thing had me sitting up straight and reading the e-mail again. Now I'm looking forward to it.

Hopefully, we'll get more of a plot and less combat in the next game.

Hmmm... unlikely, since it'll be an all-out war.

Bah.

Make that just "more of a plot", then. And maybe the opportunity to change someone's point of view without having to rip out their eyeballs?

RAmpaGE.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #10
Yeah, I read too the news mail... "Not a shaper"?
If you aren't a rebel instead, all the philosophy in the game can disappear? I mean, I will like be a Drakon for example, but by this way nobody probably ask you what do you think of the serviles status, how do you feel under the Shaper's Mighty Power...

Well, the Drakons are intelligent, but I think that they primary istinct is kill, kill, must kill someone, just KILL!!! :D

Another question: all the things that I made (and killed) in GF3 for avoid a world-war are useless? :mad:

One day, I belive we'll start GF5 with a fully-power Shaper... :rolleyes: :P

Finally, I think that: in GF4, you will be a boy without family, because they are killed by rogues (what a pity :( ...), and you will travel (and fight) around the battlefields, looking for a Shaper school for be trained. :cool:

What do you think of that post, people?

[ Saturday, January 07, 2006 01:44: Message edited by: MagmaDragoon ]

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
BANNED
Member # 3688
Profile #11
Well, hopefully it will actually matter in the game. If you are not a Shaper, but can make creations and use magic at the beginning of the game, then it's not so interesting.
Warrior
Member # 5167
Profile #12
For now it seems that the story of GF is the Taker's story... with war and such.
So, we will be:
Drakon
Sholai
Outsider
That's the list.
Drakon will be the 'Shaper', Sholai will be the 'Guardian', and Outsider will be the 'Agent'.
Whaddya think?
Maybe we could replace Drakon with another thing, since it won't be tolerated around shapers. :rolleyes:
But i can't think of something other that these 3. Would be awesomely difficult, but also wonderful to do a Gene-vernum. :P

--------------------
Finished Sub2 levels:
Shop"keep"er
Machinery Complex
Machinery Complex2
Machinery Complex3
Machinery Complex4
Munchkin City
In progress:
None
Abandonned:
T.E.L.E.P.O.R.T
Sub-Way
Apprentice
Member # 5900
Profile #13
I doubt you'll be able to choose a Drakon. They are born too powerful. In RPGs, you have to start with a lot of ground to cover in order to reach decent power - and that goes for Geneforge too, even if it's not that much of an RPG.

RAmpaGE.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #14
I'm betting on the Sholai. But it would be a bit sad to lose the three shaper classes, since they were really pretty different from each other, and made it well worth playing each game three times. So I expect that either Sholai somehow end up having comparably different classes as well -- which wouldn't be so crazy, if that's just how magic works in this world -- or you do something early-ish in the game that effectively turns you into either an Agent, a Shaper, or a Guardian -- perhaps still with some extra Sholai abilities as well.

Or maybe you do get to play an Awakened post-servile, who has learned enough shaper arts to perform as one of the three shaper classes, but who is 'not a shaper' in the sense of not being part of orthodox shaper society even initially.

Either way, I'm expecting to keep basically the same three shaper classes, but with a few extra touches of chrome. I certainly can't see giving up the ability to shape creations. That's too big a part of what makes Geneforge cool and different.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #15
Personnally, I hope that you are a minotaur. I don't see what people have against them. They're as random as vahnatai were in Avernum.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #16
Well, the Vahnatai did get hinted at a lot in Exile before they made their grand entrance in Exile II.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #17
There is the possiblity of something completely new, you know. Being a servile would be too predictable/boring.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #18
So you're saying a predictable game would be un-spiderweb?

I'm predicting we play as human - with the opportunity to become mage, fighter or shaper as the game progresses.

EDIT: If not become, then at the very least, recruit.

[ Sunday, January 08, 2006 01:54: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Warrior
Member # 5167
Profile #19
Completely unpredictable?
We could be a golem.
THAT's unpredictable.
Really, my bet's on Sholai, or Outsider.
I can see the whole scene:
You run your shop. Takers come. They destroy shop. You run. You get some canisters. wow, i'm superman. You run more. You get in trouble with the Shapers. You run some more. You come to a choice: Run or Stop running. Stop running: You get killed THE END. Run: You get killed, but only farther in the Shaper's lands THE END.
GF5 restarts when GF4 left. You are a GHOST! The ghost of your Outsider/Sholai. You haunt people. You get levels. You are happy. Then, Luigi with his vacuum cleaner gets you. Too late to escape THE END.
That story is pretty unpredictable. and then in GF6 you are an Artila.

--------------------
Finished Sub2 levels:
Shop"keep"er
Machinery Complex
Machinery Complex2
Machinery Complex3
Machinery Complex4
Munchkin City
In progress:
None
Abandonned:
T.E.L.E.P.O.R.T
Sub-Way
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by genexile:

Completely unpredictable?
We could be a golem.
THAT's unpredictable.

If that happens, you'll have predicted it. Ergo, it's no longer unpredictable.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #21
Most likely we will play as a human who come across Canisters and thus stumble upon the shaper art, and from there becomes entagled in the grand metaplot.

..And Ghaldring, that Unsellable Trowel threat still stands.
Leave the minotaurs out of G4.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #22
The story could be told from the point of view of an unsellable trowel...

Dikiyoba.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #23
Perhaps the Shapers invade Sholai lands, or they come to them for help fighting the Drakons, or are chased to Sholai lands by the rebellion, etc.

The possibilities are endless. But I really think that they'll revolve around the Sholai - the random appearance in Lord Rahul's keep was not just coincidence.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #24
There were Sholai in Lord Rahul's Keep?

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

Pages