Geneforge 4: "Not a Shaper"

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Geneforge 4: "Not a Shaper"
Warrior
Member # 6222
Profile #25
just one really, iirc.

basically, the sholai send someone over to try and find out what the heck happened to the group of sholai that ended up in GF1.
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #26
Where is this Sholai located, exactly?

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Micawber:

I'm predicting we play as human - with the opportunity to become mage, fighter or shaper as the game progresses.
Um...you won't be a shaper in GF4, and 'fighter' is kind of like 'guardian', and a mage has been overused. So I doubt it would be one of them.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #28
Just because you won't be a Shaper doesn't mean you won't be a shaper.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #29
Or you could be a Shaker, and use enchanted forges and large numbers of sticks to craft elegantly simple furniture.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Warrior
Member # 6632
Profile #30
quote:
I doubt you'll be able to choose a Drakon. They are born too powerful. In RPGs, you have to start with a lot of ground to cover in order to reach decent power - and that goes for Geneforge too, even if it's not that much of an RPG.

RAmpaGE.
But a three feet high baby drakon would work! Parents died, or the vat you were growing in got smashed by a passing adventurer. It would be cute, like a kitten.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Spring:

quote:
Originally written by Micawber:

I'm predicting we play as human - with the opportunity to become mage, fighter or shaper as the game progresses.
Um...you won't be a shaper in GF4, and 'fighter' is kind of like 'guardian', and a mage has been overused. So I doubt it would be one of them.

Duh. You missed the whole point. The new "non-shaper" game is likely to be exactly the same as before, but with a different starting point.

[ Wednesday, January 11, 2006 12:22: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #32
I believe there was one, sort of a diplomat.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 6222
Profile #33
quote:
Originally written by Contra:

Where is this Sholai located, exactly?
sort of near the entrance. towards the library i think is where i found him anyways.
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #34
That sounds gay. The Geneforge series revolves around them. If you can't play them, then the point of the game is ****.

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Originally written by Canned:

That sounds gay.
Please do not use "gay" to mean "bad" or "foolish." It constitutes mild hate speech (if I may use an oxymoron) and annoys me.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 5731
Profile #36
I think it would rock if you got to play as a shaped rebel. Like what Lankan becomes if you let him have the canister.

Think about it: when you leave him he says something along the lines of "I need time to get used to my power". Maybe you're some dopey fella who finds a canister and gets transformed into something more powerful. And as the games goes on and you gain experience using your powers, you find you can do more and more stuff (like shaping or really getting good at swinging that sword, etc.).

But... my money is on the Sholai.
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #37
The Sholai are too powerful look at Geneforge 1 they mowed you down until you were a very high lvl.

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Warrior
Member # 3480
Profile Homepage #38
Those Sholai had been using a lot of canisters.

[ Monday, January 16, 2006 12:33: Message edited by: Timber-Wolf ]
Posts: 169 | Registered: Wednesday, September 24 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #39
The ones in the northwest corner?

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #40
They were also experienced explorers as opposed to, say, an apprentice Sholai. And I never had a problem mowing down Sholai Scouts and not much trouble killing Sholai warriors. Mages and Augmented Shoalai were a different matter, but that's what my vlish were for.

Dikiyoba is noticing that a lot of characters in Spiderweb Software games in in -ai. Sholai, vahnatai, slithzerikai...
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #41
This whole "Shaped Rebel" thing won't work. That means you have to use Canisters to survive, meaning that you have to grow mad with power, and thus the game becomes very rigid, with only one way to do things.
However, as the war continues, the other magical sects that have been mentioned before (and I have mentioned this before) might very well have somehow gained access to Shaper arts, and studied it without using canisters.
..But of course, that would probably mean that you start out as an "Apprentice" once again. This is a pickle.
In either way, I am actually tired of Canisters by Geneforge 2, and really tired of them by Geneforge 3. The Geneforge world got so much possibility, so many chances of great roleplay. Intra-shaper conflict, sect vs sect conflict, Shaper vs Outsider conflict.
But I know this is too much to hope for, and that Jeff will continue with his original plot. I just hope it will have a new and intresting twist, now that we don't have to play as a Shaper.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #42
Well, Jeff did say somewhere that he wanted to make G4 very different than A4. Of course, that doesn't mean that G4 will be very different than the other three Geneforges.

Dikiyoba thinks that the Shapers should use the gene-viewing eyepieces to make creations evolve faster and easier and put anyone who modifies a human (or is modified) to instant death. No more canisters and an interesting plotline.
Apprentice
Member # 6525
Profile #43
Without shapers how will i justify my butchering of people who disagree with me?
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #44
Use the same reasons Sadam, Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot did.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #45
quote:
Originally written by Contra:

There were Sholai in Lord Rahul's Keep?
Yes there are. When you enter, turn left immediatly: the Sholai it's like a Elite Warrior ( it's blue)

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #46
Huh, I had forgotten all about that guy. Makes it sound as though G4 might feature the second Sholai expedition to Sucia Island (or at least, to the Shaper lands).

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #47
It's funny, because in the end text of G1 (if you play pro-Shaper) the surviving Sholai (the ones who don't use canisters) meet with the Shapers, the two cultures interact, and your character actually goes to Sholai lands.

Dikiyoba thinks that the biggest downside to G2 and G3 is the forced and rewritten history of G1.
Apprentice
Member # 6703
Profile #48
It's possible that the Shapers need to be totally wiped out to make room for wherever the story is going, and so that's why you won't be a Shaper in GF4.

Personally I hope that's where it is going. I have no respect for the Shaper Council and think they need to be wiped out for the needed change to come. I'd like to see the Shapers be totally destroyed in GF4, and then have GF5 come out where you personally are reforming the Shapers. As one of the new people remaking the Shapers you'd be at the very top and go turning towns to your side and gaining apprentices (I'm so sick of people calling me an Apprentice in GF3 where I could wipe the floor with them. I liked the power and respect more from GF2 where you didn't remain an Apprentice for long).

The Shaper art could be lost and rediscovered by you through a weakened Geneforge that just gives you enough power to start it out, and you have to go find all the old secrets and rebuild the empire.

You could still pick any path during the game and have it work out in GF4. The ending you pick to follow in the other games isn't always the ending that the next game is based on.

If the Shapers were about to be totally wiped out and destroyed, they may let a learned Servile or other creation work for them to save them, even though they'd probably destroy them after.

Or they could make GF4 be their Construction Kit/Blades of so we can make our own GF adventures. I like the Geneforge engine a lot, I don't really like the old Avernum engine so have no desire to play around with their kits.

Something new probably has to happen in GF4 to make room for GF5, or just in order to be different a big change is needed. They could make you be just about anything and force it to work with the story, desperate people accept help from many different sources.

It's time to wipe the council from the face of the world and make room for a new rebirth in GF5 I think.

I guess we all have our own hopes and dreams for the series.

I admit I have one more Island to do right now in GF3, but so far I liked GF2 a lot more. It felt like you had more freedom and more affect on the world of things, more choices, and a true feeling of power and change.

I haven't seen my first GF3 ending yet though so maybe I'll be let in on some information I don't know soon. I'm unsure how long the last Island takes to do but that's all I have left, so I'll see pretty soon.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #49
I would play a guard in Vakkiri.

"My feet hurt."

--------------------
One of these words is mispelled.

Pages