essence help

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: essence help
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #0
I'm new to geneforce, and i don't understand why my shaper has only 6 essence. before, when I started, he had about 30. Now he doesn't recharge to something more then 6, also when I'm at a pool that should recharge me. What should i do?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #1
Do you have any creations? If so, they will keep a portion of your essence until they are killed or you absorb them.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #2
Yes, I have two. The second creation however wasn't created by me, but it was a guardian whom I asked do join me, and he did. does he also take up essence?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 26
Profile #3
No.

--------------------
Not a signature
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #4
No, Alwan won't deplete your essence; only the creations you make will.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #5
Also remember you don't have to increase your creations stats when they level up as that uses up even more essence, and they still gain 1 point in each stat every 2 levels.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #6
When you are making creations, it tells you how much essence you are about to use up for this creation.

Alwan and Greta are the only two "creations" that don't use any essense even when you spend their skillpoints.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
Thanks, that's good to know. I hope I will master it soon, because I have trouble playing it after Avernum. What I can see though, is that it just doesn't atract me as Avernum atracts me.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #8
quote:

What I can see though, is that it just doesn't atract me as Avernum atracts me.

To be honest, I didn't enjoy Geneforge 3 at all. Geneforge 1 and 2 are wonderful, but Geneforge 3 is just a bore.

I can understand the comment about Avernum. After playing Exile and Avernum, Geneforge was completely alien. It took me a while to get into it, and once I did, I was hooked. Geneforge 1 is the best, and Geneforge 2 is slightly less compelling (although still great). GF 3 was a letdown.

If you want to get the best of Geneforge, try Geneforge 1.

[ Monday, July 04, 2005 00:35: Message edited by: Waylander ]

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #9
Geneforge 3 didn't appeal to me until I edited it to get more control over what happened within the game. I don't like being pushed to play a certain way to finish games. Granted you get three basic choices, but you have to pick between two factions and basically follow that one side throughout the game. I never played the first two, but I think I can safely say that Avernum is better for those who want looser character creation, particularly with BoA.

I still like Geneforge 3 a lot because of the story that unfolds. As long as I don't have to spend so much time managing the development of creations and stats, the game entertains me for hours. I also hate to admit it, but I prefer animated characters, Avernum's square to square standing/sitting sprites grate on the nerves after a while, because it reminds me of paper dolls. Not that there's anything wrong with paper dolls, of course, but they should not try to slay each other in bloody rage. It's just...wrong. But I can tolerate wrong. Besides, it reminds me of old text-based games, in a way, which I like.

Avernum has a better statistic system, and more depth to the towns, enemies, and people than Geneforge. The world of Avernum isn't as isolated as GF's. Different races to pick are also nice.

So let's see. Geneforge is great if you're into making monsters and discovering why everything about the mysterious Shapers works in certain ways. I love the concept of making monsters, so it sold me. The plot is pretty good too, but it only has a few main characters and tends to be predictable.

Avernum has a richer background story and world, and a plot with plenty of sidebars and twists to keep you engrossed. Plus, I think the sound that you make when you cast "move mountains" in Avernum is the greatest. ("Koooru!")

Geneforge is a gamer's RPG; it's less contemplative.
Avernum is a reader's RPG; it's more contemplative.

Since you play the trombone, I imagine you're more contemplative than many. It's the trademark of a creative mind, as far as I can tell. ;)

--------------------
Wu wei... it's the only way
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #10
After reading this stroy before my post, i think i can say that there three things I always liked in avernum and probably will never see again in a RPG:

It is relaxing in a way that you don't have to be ready for attacks all the time, because one thing you know for sure: I you don't take your turn, the enemy also wouldn't take his turn. So if you are just walking in a dungeon and you see that in front of you this haakai is blocking the way, you can be sure it wouldn't come running at you. It will only move when you move.

You can explore the world in your own tempo and you can explore the dungeons in your preffered way. In geneforce you have to explore the dungeons in a certain, way and you can't really choose.

the third thing is the graphics of Avernum. I'm hooked on that sort pf graphics. I just find it more fun then all the beautiful good graphics and the good motions of the characters. Give me the old fashioned way. i don't like the Exile graphics because i do like the 3D world.

It will take some time until I start understanding the world of geneforce. but thanks for the advice, I will try geneforce 1.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
It's Geneforge. :cool:

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Manhood Typing Kelandon:

It's Geneforge. :cool:
geneforge? I alway read geneforce. thanks Kelandon, next time I wouldn't make such a stupid mistake (I think).
:)

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Apprentice
Member # 6051
Profile Homepage #13
I played one of the Avernum games. It was fun for a bit, but one of the things that turned me off is how gross most of the monsters were. I was battling giant roaches and oozing things all the time. Ok, there are oozing things in Geneforge, but at least no roaches.

Of course, I realize that some people might enjoy stomping huge roaches. De Gustibus non disputandum est.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #14
That's just A3. In A1 and A2, you battle against humans and humanoids for the most part.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by MUDdex:

De Gustibus non disputandum est.
I'm glad to say that I see learned people here! As much i know of latin and I know quite a few words, I'm not really able to translate that. Ego verba dicere non possum, quod ego heac non scio. (Maybe I made some mistakes).

EDIT:
Tell me if I'm wrong here, but the translation should be something like: "de gustibus (does this word exist in latin?) shouldn't be spoken about."
My English isn't so good, so I may have made a mistake in the English.

EDIT 2:
Oh... Thuryl got in before me, so just discrd the previous EDIT.

[ Monday, July 04, 2005 22:46: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
"In matters of taste there can be no dispute", more or less. It's a fairly common proverb among English speakers.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #17
Oh... I'm not English, so how can I know?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #18
It's pretty well-known from at least medieval Latin, if not earlier.

EDIT: My point being that your native language doesn't much matter; it's an old Latin proverb.

[ Monday, July 04, 2005 23:47: Message edited by: Manhood Typing Kelandon ]

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #19
Surprisingly, there aren't very many new Latin proverbs.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

Oh... I'm not English, so how can I know?
Not only I'm not English, I live in holland. We don't use this proverb, actually. So how should i know something I don't use? if you use ut, you shouls know the tranlation, but if you don't, why should I?

My point is, I can't know what it is, if I don't know it and I don't live in circles where its used.

EDIT:
Can somebody translate what i wrote in the previous post? (I'm just curious if somebody knows a bit of Latin).

[ Tuesday, July 05, 2005 05:35: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

Ego verba dicere non possum, quod ego heac non scio. (Maybe I made some mistakes).
Assuming you meant "haec" and not "heac," this looks to me like "I cannot speak words, because I do not know them." But it's probably better prose style to omit the unnecessary pronouns.

A number of us read Latin.

EDIT: And your location doesn't much matter. The proverb is Latin, not English, which means that everyone in Western Europe (or the descendant cultures) uses it to some degree.

[ Tuesday, July 05, 2005 07:50: Message edited by: Manhood Typing Kelandon ]

--------------------

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #22
The same proverb exists even in Russian. ("Don't argue about tastes.")

As for Geneforge 1 vs. Geneforge 3, the problem in Geneforge 3 is that you've already seen all of this before. In Geneforge 1, there is a whole new world with a big mystery. By the time it gets to Geneforge 3, you already know everything that is going on and keep waiting for your old friends Awakened, Barzites/Shloai, and Takers to show up and for Geneforge to make an appearance.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #23
I am sick of the Geneforge. Make a game without it.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #24
Zeviz: Yes! I've been struggling to articulate what my problem is with the plots of GF2 and GF3 compared to GF1, and that is precisely it. At least in the first half of GF1, I wanted to know what was going to happen next. By GF3, I didn't care at all.

--------------------

Pages