favorite character type?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: favorite character type?
Apprentice
Member # 5929
Profile #0
Pick your favorite character type

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 26 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=YryjCFmrwvVk"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=YryjCFmrwvVk"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Nothing beats Star Wars
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #1
Shaper. The Agent may be more powerful but the Shaper is the most fun to play. The Shaper is unique, there are very few rpgs out there with a character like the shaper but there guardian and agent type characters are common in most rpgs. Plus Shapers have the most replayability out of the three classes.
Warrior
Member # 2607
Profile #2
The agent.

It's strange, since in most games I prefer to use melee combat rather than magic. But, in Geneforge, this is what works best for me.

--------------------
1. Forge my Genes, will you!? (attack!)
2. That's all for now. Thanks.
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #3
Shaper.
Agent is fun and all but does not always suit my needs.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Apprentice
Member # 5880
Profile #4
How do you play as a shaper class?

I have tried to play all three games as a shaper class, and found it impossible to advance in the middle in the games -- my creations weren't powerful enough, I never had enough essence for spells, etc. What am I doing wrong?
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #5
I always play as a Shaper. If I feel like going into melee, I just shape a battle creation.

(In response to Ald's post)
As a shaper, you must invest heavily into intelligence to keep your essence up (I increase my intelligence every 3-5 levels and wear nearly all intelligence increasing items), otherwise your creations will suck it all up. I do these, along with trying to keep my creations up to date, and I get through just fine. And if you have up to date creations and you are still having trouble, augment them by spending their skill points in their stats.

[ Monday, June 13, 2005 05:51: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest ]

--------------------
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #6
Kind of depends on my mood. I agree that Shapers are most original, but sometimes the micromanagement of creation movement gets tedious. Agents are fun and easy to just blast things with. Overall, though, a Guardian might actually be most fun, because on Torment you really have to think a lot about what you're doing, and use all the tricks in the book.

I usually play an Agent first, because then I'll be able to concentrate on exploring and following the plot without having to think much about tactics. Then I try a Shaper, and try to play a different way (in G3, I went rebel). Last of all I try a Guardian, when I'm familiar with the game and want more tactical challenge.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Ald:

How do you play as a shaper class?

I have tried to play all three games as a shaper class, and found it impossible to advance in the middle in the games -- my creations weren't powerful enough, I never had enough essence for spells, etc. What am I doing wrong?

The Shaper isn't supposed to be a spellcaster so only put points into healing and blessing magic.

[ Monday, June 13, 2005 07:49: Message edited by: vicheron ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
Another thing you can do with Shapers — haven't tried this in GF3, but it worked well in GF1 and GF2 — is keep the same couple of creations all the way through and just keep boosting their stats. A pair of level 35 fyoras with nearly maxed stats is surprisingly powerful.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #9
1st. Shaper
2nd. Guardian
3rd. Agent

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #10
I always play through the first time with an Agent, and the next time with a Shaper. Agents vibe with me best, and are all-around strongest. I like the Shaper for the second game. so I can make all the powerful creations.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5368
Profile #11
Guardian. You say they suck ass? You are correct. That is the reason I like them.

While playing one of these bricks, you have to be careful and plan your actions ahead of time. You have to watch every step, make sure to conserve items, and actually play the game. Agents and shapers just go on genocidal rampages without thought to what they are doing.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Hectonkhyres:

You say they suck ass? You are correct. That is the reason I like them.
Are the Windows graphics more elaborate than on the Mac, or is there more in the 1.0.3 patch than Jeff has let on?

[ Tuesday, June 14, 2005 18:00: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #13
Guardian fo sho.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #14
I only ever play as a Shaper, although that has more to do with graphics than anything else. With the fabulous GF3 Shaper makeover, the choice is made even easier. The new Guardian guardian graphic is more bloated and ugly than the old one, and the Agent is still her neon-colored, thoroughly, unattractive self. Go on, call me shallow, but I've got a very aesthetic mind and the Guardian and Agent graphics just don't sit well with it.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #15
I agree the Guardian in GF3 is so stupid. Who designed it? :eek:

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Apprentice
Member # 5929
Profile #16
i thought the guardian looked sweet. much better then before

--------------------
Nothing beats Star Wars
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #17
My favorite's the guardian I love sticking things with swords. :D

And the new guardian look sucks. :(

[ Wednesday, July 06, 2005 04:05: Message edited by: Ghaldrings_doom ]
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Another thing you can do with Shapers — haven't tried this in GF3, but it worked well in GF1 and GF2 — is keep the same couple of creations all the way through and just keep boosting their stats. A pair of level 35 fyoras with nearly maxed stats is surprisingly powerful.
I'm new to the GF world, so maybe my tactic is wrong, but I use the shaper. I make creations and boost their stats (while trying to keep my essence high enough) until I can make an better creation. i absorb the old one, and invest my absorbed assence in a better monster. what is better to invest skillpoints in: intelligence (for essence) or strenght (for higher encumbrance level)?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #19
Definitely intelligence.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 26
Profile #20
Shaper. I prefer busting in and doing the John Wayne as opposed to all that sneaking with an agent. It makes me feel dirty.

--------------------
Not a signature
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #21
When I play as shaper, I invest heavily in intelligence at the start, but only put enough in shaping skills to get the minimum needed to make the most powerful creations I can yet learn the skills too. I then make creations as soon as I learn the skills for them focusing on ones with high levels at creation and keep them around until I can make better. I do not pump thier stats, instead making several different types of creation.

For example in geneforge 3 I make one each of thahd, fyora, and artilla as soon as possible (head to the testing grounds immediately after south end so you get artilla at an early level) until I reach san ru, at which point I upgrade to vlish, thahd shade, and searing artilla which should be several levels higher at creation than my origional ones, and upgrade the vlish to a terror vlish once I get a canister for it in the rebel camp, though it was a few levels higher than the vlish that may have been a mistake though as its ranged attack is useless against poison immune enemies which include pylons, turrets, golems, and clawbugs (if playing loyalist and you don't want to use canisters remember you can use up to 6 without any adverse effects from them so just use ones that are needed to get new types of creations available.) Once I reached Dhonals keep I added a glaak, and will probably replace the thahd shade with a battle beta once I find a canister.

Remember though you can only have 6 total types of creatures in your group which counts yourself, alwan, and greta, so if you have both you can only have 3 types of creations (I didn't take greta so I could have 4).

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #22
i have a small problem with greta. When i asked her if she wanted to join me, she refused and said it was to dangerous.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #23
Are you sure you were talking to Greta and not the cowardly student in the school? Greta meets you in the middle of village when you exit the school.

EDIT: About original topic of the thread, I prefer shapers, because they are the class unique to this game and fit best with the environment. All other RPGs have fighters and mages, but the whole idea of Geneforge is to make and manage your own army.

[ Wednesday, July 06, 2005 08:11: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

Are you sure you were talking to Greta and not the cowardly student in the school? Greta meets you in the middle of village when you exit the school.
So that's Greta, I didn't notice that there was an option to do that, well, I will try that then...

Speaking of Greta and alwan, is it a good idea to have them join you throughout the hole game, ot is it better to dump them on a certain time?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!

Pages