Greta or Alwan?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Greta or Alwan?
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #0
We all know that Greta is a rebel and Alwan a loyalist. Therefore, at some point you have to decide between them. This question may sound as whether you would have to be a loyalist or a rebel, yet while playing as a loyal shaper I liked Greta much more than Alwan. Did this ever happen to you? Therefore, whether you are a loyalist or a rebel does not matter. Who do you think is the best overall (this includes strength, arguments, beliefs, and everything else you can think of) Greta or Alwan?

Ps. I don’t think that there has been a thread about this before, but if there has I apologize and ask one of the moderators to please delete. Thanks

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 42 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=twHnKqHQlqps"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=twHnKqHQlqps"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #1
There hasn't been a topic specifically on which character is preferred. There is however a topic about why Alwan sucks and Greta doesn't.

Oh yeah, and I prefer Greta.

Edit: Here

[ Saturday, June 11, 2005 15:33: Message edited by: Azul ]
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #2
To over-simplify it, Greta can "kill things good", Alwan cannot.

Greta.

--------------------
A Sucaran Child is standing here.
You say, "hello"
The small child looks at Preserver Aldous wide-eyed and awed.
Warrior
Member # 5550
Profile Homepage #3
Alwan is a bastard who can't seem to stay alive. Greta all the way.

--------------------
Q: What is the sound of one hand clapping?
A: The sound of someone getting smacked upside the head.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a good side and a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Don't worry Alorael, custom titles are overrated.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #4
heh. Poor Alwan's 0:5

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Warrior
Member # 3340
Profile #5
I also voted for Greta, however in my current game, I am not using neither of them.

Just my shaper and my little 'pet' :D

James

--------------------
Sometimes I just don't know anything about everything -- or do I ?
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #6
Greta has a hard time to take a beating but can atleast pack a punch.

Alwan is rather useless, really.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Apprentice
Member # 5946
Profile Homepage #7
Alwan all the way. Greta is a nice gal who likes everyone and everything, and wouldn't have an original idea to save her life. She got kicked out for her beliefs, so what did she do? Try to right wrongs? Nope, she hid out around South End, looking for someone to follow, and then went on to complain about the player crowding out her beliefs?

Alwan at least is honest. He dares to be offensive, and makes his views clear when he disagrees with what the player is doing. He's ambitious, too, he wants to rule with an iron fist. He's actually got a personality!

There just aren't enough jerks like Alwan in GF.
Apprentice
Member # 5880
Profile #8
I have just landed on the fifth island. I have kept Alwan in the party since the beginning. I decided that:

People who say that Greta is better than Alwan in combat simply don't plan their battles well. Ever since start I maximized Alwan's defences, since I knew he will always be in the first line. Max dexterity, shield, ess shield and armor, augmentation, steel skin. Right now he is a killing machine. He can kill almost everyone we meet. If he can't -- he can hold them long enough for my PC agent to drop all the excess weight and join in the fight.

They both are great, you simply have to use them correctly.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
Do you play on Torment difficulty, though? On Torment there really isn't all that much you can do to prevent him dying if he's getting attacked. And since he can't do anything except hit things in melee, he's going to get attacked.

[ Sunday, June 12, 2005 15:57: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 5880
Profile #10
Eh... different difficulty settings?... come to think of it, all three games did mention something about difficulty from time to time....

No, I only play at the default difficulty settings. There can be no point in increasing it for me, for for complexity of tactics and strategy I play... another game. Guess will check the torment difficulty tomorrow to see how Alwan performs.
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #11
I am sure Alwan does ok at lower difficulty settings...

But he blows chunks on Torment.

He dies when stuff just looks at him funny. And yes, that is with all the important buffs...

Creations are better. Somebody or something shouldn't have to be buffed to the gills to earn their keep. A real Shaper has no time for coddling milksops... It's do or die in the Shaper army, and Alwan chooses to die.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Warrior
Member # 2607
Profile #12
Greta. I just prefer agents.

In my first game, both of them actually left and refused to re-join me. I was mainly rebel, but trying to stay a bit neutral. :rolleyes: Obviously, it wasn't neutral enough. Or maybe it was too neutral. Hmm...

Anyway, I'm trying again as a loyal agent, and I still prefer Greta.

--------------------
1. Forge my Genes, will you!? (attack!)
2. That's all for now. Thanks.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #13
I think Alwan should have a (relatively weak) missile attack, but what he most needs is armor upgrades.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #14
Or a chance to learn some basic Guardian skills, like from Lord Ruhal or something. Or Grainer, in return for saving his sorry butt.

You know, Guardian skills... Like Quick Action and Parry.

Yes, and his armor sucks. Everything from the midgame on seems to hit him every time.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #15
I used Alwan and I thought he was good.

But I've never tried Greta.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #16
A little armor would go a long way for Alwan. He sucks a little less when his stats are maxed out, but I don't feel like waiting through the whole game for that to happen. Greta at mid-level is what Alwan will be at high-level (more or less), and she has the bonus of a ranged attack.

I had Alwan on Gull Island, and he was the least helpful there. The Drayks would blast him and run away. He's helpless against creations with ranged attacks, and a couple of Cryodrayks would be a better use of the XP.
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #17
Greta tends to get wasted after one hit. I get a Vlish bolt that hits me, takes about 40 out of my 70 Health. Greta gets hit with the same kind of attack, takes 72 damage and dies.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Warrior
Member # 4566
Profile #18
I picked Alwan because of 1) his meat-shield tendencies.
2) He at least has the decency to keep himself presentable(GF3 says that Greta is in need of a wash).
3) he seems like a real person! I mean, you can tell he was going to go out and kill every creation he sees until he gets hit in the face by an artila's acid. Greta, on the other hand, really didnt care that creations just killed many innocents.
and 4) at the same level, Greta was killed in 2 hits in the Creator battle in Greenwood, while Alwan stayed alive during the fight(I was killed, not Alwan :rolleyes: )

--------------------
samurai56:the video game guide you don't have to buy!
Apprentice
Member # 5925
Profile #19
As Delicious Vlish said, I would rather just have a powerful creation instead of either of them, but out of the two, i'd rather have Greta. I'm sure Alwan could be pretty strong too, but it might take some buffing.
Apprentice
Member # 5934
Profile #20
As soon as your enemies have ranged attacks, Alwan is a useless piece of meat. Well, he can be an alternative target... once or twice.

But generally I cant use him effectively, because he doesnt have a ranged attack himself.

My fav tactic is speeding my fyoras and cryoas up, have them attack once and then withdraw. The enemies follow but use too many AP so they cant attack back.

Doesnt work with Alwan of course.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #21
I agree with Fz. Greta's a snake who purports to be moderate and conscientious, but is really just weak-minded and willing to support and aid in the committing of atrocities when they suit her own, anti-Shaper biases. Alwan's honest, straight-talking, and has leadership qualities. He doesn't just toe the line or mindlessly follow orders like I initially expected he would.

As for their effectiveness in combat, it hardly mattered in my case. I employed creations extensively, and neither Greta or Alwan was involved in much fighting.

[ Sunday, June 19, 2005 14:05: Message edited by: Stugri-La ]

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #22
Both characters have personality flaws.

Greta is fascinated by the various Creators and wants to fix them. She has no concern as to what the Creators will unleash upon innocent people. I won't post an endgame spoiler, but she annoyed me with her ending comments, and came off as only caring for herself.

Alwan is very closed-minded. I respect his loyalty, but he has little to say outside of what the Shapers say he should think. He is right in that fixing the Creators will harm people, and that the rogue creations should be destroyed for the sake of public safety.

The Shaper's ideals of enslaving and controlling intelligent beings is comparable to the rebels disregarding human's safety and lives.

Edit: sp

[ Monday, June 20, 2005 09:16: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 549
Profile #23
Greta is a better henchman since she's more powerful and she's weak minded but Alwan is a better character.
Warrior
Member # 3629
Profile #24
Honestly, if you think Alwan sucks so much, just edit him to be stronger. There's nothing wrong with cheating in a single player game if it makes you enjoy it more.

Pages