Should Geneforge have been a pure sci-fi game?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Should Geneforge have been a pure sci-fi game?
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #0
As is well known, the original plan was for Geneforge to be a fully sci-fi game, but this was changed because Jeff was scared that if it was too different, it wouldn't sell. The question is, would the sci-fi version of Geneforge (and resulting sequels) have been better than what we have?

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 25 user(s) have voted.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=ZaRXomfiChWa"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=ZaRXomfiChWa"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #1
The magic system could have been replaced with a more technological system with spells being gene enhanced abilities that draw from your bodies abilities. The explanation would have been ignored as long as the results were the same.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #2
I think it could have worked fine, but it would have been a bit less original. The current quirky mix of science and magic, which is vague on technical details but pungeant in flavor, is kind of different from anything else I know. The other science-magic mixtures I know seem to have physics as the dominant science component, and the mixture ends up being very abstract and antiseptic, with alternate planes and invisible mechanisms. Geneforge being a biological fantasy, the magic is all raw and messy, and this is cool.

If you like, Geneforge is science fiction, just set in a world where the laws of nature are rather different from what we know. The main difference I imagine it would make, for the game to be really sci-fi, is that everything would have to be a little more rigorously explained and consistent. And that might well be too tough a constraint for good game mechanics.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

The magic system could have been replaced with a more technological system with spells being gene enhanced abilities that draw from your bodies abilities. The explanation would have been ignored as long as the results were the same.
IMAGE(http://videogames-explorer.everyproduct.info/play-station/play-station-images/parasite-eve-playstation-007.jpg)

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 7276
Profile #4
I'm glad it is the way it is. Genetics and allied trades are very active right now. To make convincing science fiction would have required a lot of effort in learning what the science looks like now, science that is subject to change between game sequels. Convincing science fiction, like convincing historical fiction, requires more author research than it used to.

If it's going to be unconvincing, space-opera type science fiction, why not simply make it fantasy to begin with?

The stuff about DNA tinkering (with no further details on gene expression) is simply part of the setting for the adventure, and doesn't detract from the fun.
Apprentice
Member # 7333
Profile #5
I think it works better the way it is. A pure sci-fi game wouldn't necessarily be worse but the concept of a medieval, magic based society stumbling on ways to manipulate DNA with magic makes it more original. The way I see it, it's pretty much how life would be if alchemy had turned out to be a valid scientific theory.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #6
It doesn't really matter to me either way; I still would've bought it. Jeff has done a really good job on his games thus far, regardless of genre.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #7
I like how is it. I just love Medieval Times+Magic.

quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

As is well known, the original plan was for Geneforge to be a fully sci-fi game...
Oh. I didn't knew that. >_<

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #8
Could have gone either way, really. I really am curious as to how Jeff would do a futuristic society as opposed to the traditional 'olde' ones. But hey, he's good at what he does.
quote:
Detriot Dan:
magic based society stumbling on ways to manipulate DNA with magic makes it more original
Says it all really. Not sure how you could have made the game better than this.

--------------------
You lose.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #9
I couldn't answer yes to that poll, because now that I've seen the game, I like it the way it is and I wouldn't want it changed. But if Jeff were to do a pure sci-fi game, I think I'd like that too.

Dikiyoba.
Apprentice
Member # 7625
Profile #10
I would have prefered it to be purely sci-fi, magic could be replaced with psionic abilities, swords with guns, pods and the like with technologically advanced field healing methods. Would have worked fine.

--------------------
The ways to win: attack, attack, and attack some more.
Warrior
Member # 7276
Profile #11
Thinking about it, there's another reason why I like keeping it the way it is. In the game as it stands, genetically modifying a human has rather unpleasant side effects. He loses his moral restraint and self-control, or at least gets a looser grasp on them. It's an important part of the game, because it sets up some of the dilemmas that give the world its "cold" feel. In in a sci-fi game it might start looking like commentary on real-world genetic engineering, and as such would be distracting or repelling. I like it better as "part of the magic."
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #12
Good point. Some of the same issues that face real-world gentech are raised, of course; but the fantasy stuff gives it enough distance that you're not pressured into agreeing or disagreeing with any particular critique.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #13
I hope that the Geneforge series never changes drastically. I love the medieval setting plus magic plus the thing with the "scrolls." And the canisters full of mutagen are an interesting idea.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.