It's the A2Template!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: It's the A2Template!
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #0
EDIT: Critique this, now. I command you.

---

I'm making a scenario that is set inbetween Avernum 2 and 3, taking place (roughly) from Angierach to Almaria. While it is debatable whether the scenario will see light of day. (Yes, it is somewhat large, but I have oodles of time to waste, so that is not the concern...) Regardless, the terrain for these areas is still done.

I've got roughly 15~16 of the 49 sections of Avernum 2 recreated, and was wondering if anyone would actually like me post the scenario, before/after I start making towns. (I will not include any NPCS, special encounters, etc.)

I primarily envisage people using it as a template for scenarios taking place around that area/time.

Note(s): There are subtle differences between Avernum 2's wall configuration and the ones I use - I altered the wall configuration in a few areas so that there was no 'clipping'. Area descriptions also more closely follow the 'contours' of the object they surround now. There are NO terrain #255 "solid stone" and #71 "pit" mixups like in Avernum 2.

(What is he talking about, you ask? Ensure you have the Orb of Thralni for most of these, you can walk through the walls in some places... Check out Angierach, the 2x1 pit to the right of Kothtar, and the secret passage past the Lair of Sulfras - where the Jade Halberd is. Sloppy, sloppy, Spiderweb.)

Apart from that, I have differed from less than 20 squares of the 2304 squares per section.

[ Wednesday, December 28, 2005 13:35: Message edited by: CPeters ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Sure, send it my way. tomwatts (at) berkeley (dot) edu .

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #2
Yeah. Same here. When the outdoors is done, send it my way. My email address is

micael456 (AT) aol (DOT) com

Whether I will see fit to use it or not is another matter, but I was thinking about doing something similar. However, I just don't have the time.

Thanks!

EDIT: Does this include the Vahnatai Lands? Or just Avernum?

- Archmagus Micael

[ Saturday, September 10, 2005 23:05: Message edited by: Archmagus Micael ]

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #3
UBB = Double Post

[ Saturday, September 10, 2005 23:05: Message edited by: Archmagus Micael ]
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #4
... from Angierach to Almaria.

Basically, the Great Cave and some stuff west of it.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #5
Send it to me, as well. If you want, I can post it in the Blades of Avernum Center site.

boa.center (at) gmail (dot) com

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
Yes, sure! Nice idea, And it will be nice to start wandering in Avernum again.

B.J.van.Soldt (AT) inter.nl.net

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #7
Ahem:

nottmforestweloveu (at) yahoo (dot) co.uk

Thanks.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Warrior
Member # 5274
Profile #8
Sure, I'd love a copy

loki (underscore) 72 (at) hotmail.com

--------------------
I assume my reputation for arrogant presumption precedes me
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #9
Got another trio of sections from around the center of Avernum done ontop of whatever else.

@ Drakefyre: Yes, my scenario only fills about 10 sections, but I needed to tack on another two or so sections to prevent the appearence of the world suddenly ending. Got kind of carried away doing that done more than I needed to and figure I might as well finish the job. At a rate of 2-3 sections a day, shouldn't take too long to finish up the entirety of Avernum 2's terrain.

@ Archmagus Micael: Didn't think about the Vahnatai. I'll finish up on this [Avernum proper] then most likely end up doing the Vahnatai's lands as well. Damn you for stirring another plot line idea in my head - even If I never get around to making a proper scenario set in the Vahnatai's land, I'm still gonna end up making the terrain for their lands so I at least have the possibility of doing so at a later date.

[ Monday, September 12, 2005 03:13: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #10
I'd love a copy, personally.

EphesosSH (at) aol (dot) com

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #11
I was thinking, are you going to send it when the terrain has been finished? I'm getting very curious...

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #12
Considering that none of you are mind (can't believe I added a 'not', even after the fifth revision of this post, note to self: stop editing my posts, and stop writing posts late at night.) readers I should have made myself clear - sorry about that. The original post was simply to gauge interest in the finished product. I will release it to the public when I'm done recreating the terrain.

Whilst I'm on the topic of when I'll have it done: I've currently got about 4/7 of Avernum done, performing clean up on some sections and should be starting on the section containing the Tower of Elderan in 2 days at most.

I'm actually unsure of the logistics when it comes to emailing a fair sized attachment over my god-awful and slow modem - so I'm not going to send it to more than a dozen at most for the beta stage.

I should have the scenario (terrain only) ready for criticism in a week and a half, two at tops.

[ Thursday, September 15, 2005 06:39: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #13
I'm waiting for it to come. I would love to see it! Its a good idea. Are you also going to reconstruct the towns, do you think, or will that be to much work?

Anyway, I'm very anxious to see it, but don't make a hasty job of it. Take your time. (But not to much! :P )

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by CPeters:

I'm actually unsure of the logistics when it comes to emailing a fair sized attachment over my god-awful and slow modem - so I'm not going to send it to more than a dozen at most for the beta stage.

You can send it to "INSERT ANY NUMBER HERE" of people, and only have to upload the file once, so long as you don't send the emails separately. Example:

IMAGE(http://micael.tamarvalleyart.com/spidweb/ironycentral/emailtolotsofpeople.PNG)

And sorry if I inadvertantly caused you to think about the Vahnatai Lands. I've only just gotten past that part myself playing Avernum 2, so it's still fresh in my mind.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
quote:

You are compressing it, right? Zip before you send — this should make it much smaller. And Micael's right: just CC a bunch of people.

[ Thursday, September 15, 2005 06:26: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, emperor of Riverrod:

Are you also going to reconstruct the towns, do you think, or will that be to much work?
Not a chance in hell of reconstructing all of them. Major towns, (The Castle, Tower of Magi, etc.) are a strong possibility. Primarily dependant on whether others already have, or failing that, I might decide to include it under a second scenario file like I'm (inevitably) going to do with the Vahnatai's lands.

Incidentally, just past Dharmon and the front lines is a section you can never get into - reconstructing this from Avernum 1 would be a highly subjective measure. Fort Spire (or it's ruins would be here. I know for a fact that Jeff never had a full section here - just enough so that can see mostly into it. However - there are two overlooked spots that a very observant person can see the road ends abruptly into this section - one from the Scree Pits (easy to notice), and one from the section Erika's Tower is in (very difficult...) - so things may not line up exactly.

After going through Avernum 1 and investigating that section it is obvious that it will not properly fit into there. I am considering reconstructing this section and simply trimming some squares (approximately 5 to 8 would need to be) from the left edge. From a cursory inspection only a few minor side passages would be lost. Doing that section (Fort Spire's if you've already forgotten) will be a true *****.

(Insert proper name for a female dog, as in I'm putting my b... out to stud, where the astericks are. Funnily enough, I do actually breed labradors. If I ever post about it I'm going to inadvertantly be censored by this infernal bulletin board.)

I'm likely to end up doing it if even a couple of people show interest in my doing so.

Also, I am aware of how to use an email client. And of course I'm going to compress it - regardless of how small it is my connection is slow - even a quarter meg seems to take millenia. (Sorry if all that reads like a snarky comment - I'm grumpy and tired.)

I was merely unable to reconcile what to do if people pop up out of the woodworks, so to speak, and ask for a copy after I've already sent the email off. I'd prefer not to be constantly sending out mass emails if I can - so I'd prefer to keep the "beta" testing group relatively small.

God, can I even call it a beta testing group really? It's not like it's an effort worthy of the name - merely reconstructing someone else's work. For the most part anyway. Might it more appropriately be called: 'poor batch of saps I've conned into bug testing the evidence that I lack a real life'?

G'night people. I'm going to sleep.

[ Thursday, September 15, 2005 22:49: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4423
Profile #17
It's a beta group because you're reconstructing someone elses work in a new form, which it may/may not have been originally designed to have done to it, and because you are changing a few things here and there, so it's not identical to the original.

If I remember correctly, the Tower of Magi was copied by somebody for BoE... I've never tried a conversion to BoA, but I'd think the basic terrain should transfer over without too much trouble, so you'd just have to check it all for accuracy. Much quicker than doing the whole thing yourself. There may also be other towns copied for BoE, but I'm unaware of any others that were not included inside a scenario, but merely the town.

If you upload it to a website, you can merely provide the link and anybody coming out of the woodwork can get it, without you needing to continually upload it. If you lack a website, I'm sure somebody around here would be willing to offer you some space on theirs. (I'd do it, except my host went down several months back and I haven't gotten around to finding a suitible replacement yet. Poor AloofHosting...)

[ Thursday, September 15, 2005 07:29: Message edited by: Master Xan ]

--------------------
"When your teacher needs a calculator to add up how many you missed more than you need a calculator to take a calc test, that's bad."
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #18
I am aware of why exactly beta test/ers/ing should apply regardless of my gut feeling that the effort is 'unworthy' of the title. So I'll be sticking with 'poor batch of saps I've conned into bug testing the evidence that I lack a real life'. For brevity it shall be shortened to beta test/ers/ing depending on what is referenced. :P

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #19
quote:

I was merely unable to reconcile what to do if people pop up out of the woodworks, so to speak, and ask for a copy after I've already sent the email off.
In that case, your friendly neighborhood beta testers can send it out for you. Heck, I could host it for download if you wanted.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #20
That would be very much appreciated Kelandon. For now though I'll be getting back to work, as I've been slacking off. Mainly reading too many webcomics for my own good. And being too wordy.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #21
An update if anyone is interested: I've completed the section with Bargha & Harston in it, almost finished the section with Formello in it. Over 30 sections done so far - including a reconstruction of the Chasm of the Spire - as accurated as possible given the circumstances.

By either the end of this week or the beginning of next I should have it completed. Would have had it sooner but the Waterfall Warrens were a true pain to reconstruct, that and unavoidable cave giants keep getting in the way of my surveying in the "Giant Infested Lands" section.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #22
Argh... never been too into using forums, here's hoping that bumping this thread by posting after myself isn't considered double/triple/whatever posting.

An update for anyone who hasn't forgotten about this little project of mine:

Reasons Why I Got Side-tracked This WeekCar troubles.High school graduation ceremony.I got sick.Needed a break.Read too many webcomics.Relatives visited.To put it in a nutshell; it is unlikely that it'll be ready until the end of the month. If Kelandon or Overwhelming really want to host the incomplete alpha, I'll send it along.
Note: Although all of the A2 areas are done are mostly correctly done - I'm not perfect - there is likely to be at least 1 screwup somewhere... - I've started to reconstruct a couple of sections that were inaccessible in A2 from the accessible version in A1. As such they will not fit in perfectly.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #23
Sure! Just send it with your author name and a small description to:

boa.center (at) gmail (dot) com

Take your time. :)

[ Monday, September 26, 2005 00:40: Message edited by: Overwhelming ]

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #24
Oops. I thought there was another seven sections to do, apparently there were only about four. I've done all that I can do - sections that I couldn't enter in A2 remain mostly incomplete. (Mainly to the north of Erika's Tower and west of Staging Ground D,which is just west of the Mass Teleporter.)

I have sent the complete-est possible alpha off to Kelandon and Overwhelming, hopefully there is nothing wrong with it. Or any obvious and stupid mistakes that'll make me red faced, for that matter.

There is an excess row and column of sections to the left and bottom of the scenario - this has to do with the fact that the riverways right at the edge in at least four sections. You could trim them, but I included them for completeness.

@Overwhelming: My email to you bounced - not sure why. Will retry in the morning.

[ Thursday, September 29, 2005 01:42: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------

Pages