It's the A2Template!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: It's the A2Template!
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #25
Cpeters.

Can you email it to me as well?

micael456@AOL.com

Thanks!

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #26
This looks pretty awesome. I can host it for you — what would you like the page to say?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #27
Did you send it already? Cause I didn't get it as yet.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #28
Well, it's hosted on this page. If you'd like me to change anything, I can.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #29
@Kelandon
Sorry for not responding promptly but I 'work' irregular hours - much like Jeff really come to think of it. I don't have any problems with the page, but adding a link from http://home.sanbrunocable.com/~tommywatts03/ to http://home.sanbrunocable.com/~tommywatts03/A2Template.html seems logical. If I've just overlooked an already present link, then disregard this.

Also, forgive my ignorance, but the *.sit format, I'm assuming this is Mac's native archive format? I'm sure I've got a utility that can open *.sit files, but do other Windows users? (Does it even matter really? Isn't almost every scenario maker a Mac user?)

Either way if the link that says "Avernum 2 Template v1.0.zip" is pointing to a *.sit file as it seems to be doing... that's misleading.

@Archmagus Micael:
I've just sent it to you, it is in *.zip format (don't have a utility that can create *.sit files, but aren't you a Windows user anyway?) Otherwise grab it from Kelandon's site.

@Overwhelming:
I have no idea why Hotmail hates me but it wont send you the file, sorry about that. Either that or I'm somehow screwing up your email address.

@Anyone even mildly interested in this...
Please, give the scenario a once over and report any stupid mistakes to me: xoid (at) hotmail (dot) com

Finally: I should have documentation listing deliberate changes from A2's terrain in a couple of days - its mostly done but the prolific swearing in it needs removal - don't ask.

[ Thursday, September 29, 2005 19:36: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #30
For the record, it's in .zip format on my site. The link was bad, but it's fixed.

There is already a link from the front page to the host page.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #31
Sorry, I'm as blind as a bat then. Similar thing happened with Wikipedia earlier today - I really need to get my eyes checked. That and I really need to stop typing.

--------------------
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Warrior
Member # 5802
Profile #32
i love it! avernum 2 allover again! this time in BoA! :D its a great idea and i think it would be a great idea (with premission with JV) remake avernum 2 for BoA :)

just an idea...

--------------------
If Skribbane dosn't kill me, canisters will.

"You suck." - TM
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #33
One should DEFINITELY not make a playable duplicate of A2 in BoA. It would probably violate some copyright laws, serve no purpose (if you want to play A2, play A2, not BoA), and take too much work to justify such a useless end.

However, this project (re-making the areas from A2) is different and potentially very useful to designers.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #34
I could not agree more, Kelandon.

@Grape slime: Regardless of the legality - there are so many differences between the two engines that game balance alone could take upwards of four months to tailor suitably. Just the terrain was upwards of an 18/7 endevour(sp?) for two weeks straight (plus a one week hiatus for sheer laziness). Scripting everything in, plus cross platform enabling the scenario (graphics formats people...) makes a singular effort to be improbable in the extreme.

It really should have gone without saying:
A complete remake of Avernum 2 that Jeff would be unable to charge people for without investing time on altering BoA's code - for yet another remake - is a very real and totally justified reason for Jeff to sue.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5802
Profile #35
true... i dident think about that... oh and one question

will there be towns? formello,Gandrik ect. like that? or just outdoors?

--------------------

"You suck." - TM
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by CPeters:

Not a chance in hell of reconstructing all of them. Major towns, (The Castle, Tower of Magi, etc.) are a strong possibility. Primarily dependant on whether others already have, or failing that, I might decide to include it under a second scenario file like I'm (inevitably) going to do with the Vahnatai's lands.

Read the thread next time.

And why the new name, Grape Slime? Don't we have enough Archmages floating around?

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Warrior
Member # 5802
Profile #37
quote:
And why the new name, Grape Slime? Don't we have enough Archmages floating around?
its my name on AIM ^_^

quote:
Read the thread next time
oh and to the missing that part is cus i had my eyes dialated i couldn't see O_O

EDIT: cant get qoutes to work right >_>

[ Sunday, October 02, 2005 18:48: Message edited by: Archmage Mycroft ]

--------------------

"You suck." - TM
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #38
Had your eyes dilated? Was it Atropine?

(Sorry, just had to ask... amazing how the stuff from Thuryl's thread keeps popping up elsewhere.)

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #39
Cleanning up of the documentation - 'cause I'm one lazy n00b. Regardless, not a single bug report yet, or someone asking: did '(insert location here) really look like that?'. I have found a couple of niggling little oversights and have about 85% of Silvar done.

Currently planning only to do these towns, might include a couple of minor ones that I rebuilding specifically for my planned scenario. Cities/Forts in bold are going to be done last, as they are not intended to be include in the template. If someone asks for one of those in bold to be included, it will be. Version one dot whatever will take longer though.

AlmariaAngierachBloskCastle, TheCotra (Repaired)Cotra (Ruins)DharmonFormelloSilvarTower of Magi, The (A2 Version)Tower of Magi, The (A3 Version)

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #40
REQUEST:
Windows Avernum 2 savegame, high level party is preferable, from someone who isn't a kleptomaniac. This is because my level 46 powergamer / kleptomaniac / wizard / priests have had an... unfortunate tendancy to pick up almost everything that isn't nailed down. So reconstructing the towns, even with a basic inventory is prooving considerably difficult. That is unless you don't want a reconstruction that is even mildly accurate.

To anyone wondering: I am not going to include the entire town's items. There are numerous reasons for this. Cheap and useless items: clothing, ropes, buckets, trash, saws, bars of iron, sticks, rocks, etc, will be included. Armour, magic items, weapons, cutlery, crockery, etc, will not be.

PROGRESS REPORT:
I have fixed up literally hundreds of errors. Mainly to do with the fact that it is often difficult to differentiate between two floors when the only difference between them is a small gray line in the lower right hand corner. I've added in a couple of area descriptions, some trees, signs, and rocks that I missed the first time round. I have also cleanned up the wall configuration in a couple of spots, and the garden surrounding The Castle is now a lot closer to the original.

I won't be releasing this version yet, I still have a dozen sections to clean up, but I've been getting very quick at this, I got through about 30 sections in a couple of hours last night. I am going to wait until I have the bulleted list in the post above done before sending Kelandon this version.

This version, once done, will include documentation of deliberate changes, and my reasoning behind them.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #41
It looks really very, very good. Now that you are planing on making towns it will only get better. What I was just wondering: does making a scenario about only a small part of the Avernum 2 world using this scenario made by Cpeters also against copyrigth laws?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #42
I could have speculated on what exactly Jeff would find acceptable or not, but I'll refrain. I would prefer him to repsond to this personally.

Knowing that Jeff rarely reads the forums, I emailed him, asking him to do so.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #43
I'm pretty sure that unless you're copying dialogue and quests and so on, you're fine. I replicated three towns from Avernum 1 in Bahssikava, and he didn't seem to mind.

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #44
I also sent Jeff an email, asking him about this. What I was thinking about: copying the entire Vanhatai lands (not the dark waters, just the Vahnatia lands) and maybe make a scenario in which you are sent from the tower of Magi to the Vahnatai lands in order to help them with something. I'll prbably continue with an other idea which I think is much more interesting, but to have the option is nice.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #45
This is about as close to a cut-and-paste of the email I received from Jeff. Interesting to say the least, but unsuprising, considering previous emails.

quote:
From : Spiderweb Software Inc. {spidweb(at)spiderwebsoftware(dot)com}
Sent : Tuesday, 11 October 2005 2:42:57 AM
To : "Clint Peters" {xoid(at)hotmail(dot)com}
Subject : Re: Could Jeff settle this, please?
quote:
This is referring the Avernum 2 Template that I made. There is a question of legality of the scenario, plus any derivatives.

Whilst any number of members on the forums could argue the case one way or the other, I would prefer Jeff to state under exactly what conditions legal action would be taken. Preferably on the forums so no mistake could be made.

(Feel free to copy this on the boards.)

This is the sort of intellectual property weirdness that gives people fits. Obviously, writing your own version of Avernum 2 from scratch and copying the data files would be a Bad Thing. But remaking Avernum 2 in MY game? Heh heh.

I have no idea why you would want to do this ... remaking Avernum 2 would be a TON of work. But heck with it. Go ahead. As long as Avernum 2 is being remade ONLY as a Blades of Avernum scenario, knock yourself out. I'll get a kick out of seeing how far you get.
--
- Jeff Vogel
Spiderweb Software, Inc
www.spiderwebsoftware.com

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #46
Funny that no one deigned to comment on that email. Anyway, an update:

I've found an irritating little problem with the BoA editor, when placing a floor underneath a sign, the sign becomes blank. It'll take me a day or two to ensure that every sign has writing on it.

I've also nailed down an almost embarrassing oversight: floor 3 - the one with the tiny gray speck at the bottom right is actually placed in the scenario now. That 'green splotchy crap of a cave floor' is also placed where it should be, including under terrain features that almost completely obscure them. Nothing quite like painting a 1 pixel wide border of red over one of those two floors' graphics in Avernum 2 (purple on the other one) and spending three days making your characters wander around aimlessly, 'eh? Boy, do I ever so need a hobby.

The itemised list of changes and reasons for them is coming along nicely.

Finally, I have completed an almost perfect replica of The Castle, including: creatures, floors, items, terrain, scripting of the little observations 'you' made in Avernum 2, e.g. "This dusty room is packed ceiling high with dressed blocks of stone, cement and other building materials. These supplies are here so that any damaged walls can be quickly repaired."

However, there are some problems. The big-arse 1x3 icon high pillar - I've scoured the documentation and found no reference on how to do this. I remember a while back somebody made the claim that is possible, but no reference on how to do it. I also took the liberty of adding three 'stone blocks' to the room that that description belongs to. I'm uncertain as to where a couple of the wandering guards should be placed exactly, so I will try to place them approximately where they are in Avernum 2.

The reason I am including scripting already done is because I want the towns in the template to be pre-made, like in Warrior's Grove. The script(s) should be relatively easy to modify.

Since I am forced to include a 48x48 town as the first town - at least, I think I am, I reconstructed Patrick's Tower for that one. As an interesting note: Captain Rabin's dialogue says that he has fifteen soldiers under his command, he actually has at least seventeen.

[ Thursday, October 13, 2005 20:33: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #47
quote:

The big-arse 1x3 icon high pillar - I've scoured the documentation and found no reference on how to do this. I remember a while back somebody made the claim that is is possible, but no reference on how to do it.
It may not be worth the effort. You can fake it with te_icon_offset_y, I think.

[ Thursday, October 13, 2005 20:21: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #48
I've tried screwing around with the offset and had clipping issues, the player being drawn over the pillar. I think it is possible with the bottom 2/3's of the pillar as the terrain, and the top 1/3 as the scond terrain though. Regardless of that, it is almost impossible to place it without altering the wall configuration - and that simply hasn't been very successful.

I can try placing it one space lower and having strange offsets, and manually blocking the correct square. Seems like a lot of trouble to go to, particularily if using the resulting pillar would be a counter intuitive task for those using the template.

An aside: I hate typos. Especially my own... "is is"... argh. Also, it just occured to me, I never got the 'leave your sanity at the door' greeting, does this only apply to new members, and not those who really only made one or two posts in an obscure thread three years ago?

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #49
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

quote:

The big-arse 1x3 icon high pillar - I've scoured the documentation and found no reference on how to do this. I remember a while back somebody made the claim that is is possible, but no reference on how to do it.
It may not be worth the effort. You can fake it with te_icon_offset_y, I think.

There is a very easy way to fix this. icon offset is for when you have an icon and want an icon on top of that. But, what I understand from what you said, you want an other icon on top of the other two. You simply have to make a third icon of the top of the pillar and place it on a square directly behind the rest of the pillar. I advice you to look at the scenario "A large rebellion"in town number 3. There you have the same pillars (if I think this the type of pilar you mean). if you put an other object, say, a chair, on a spot directly north of were the pillar stands, you'll see that the top of the pillar vanishes.

[ Friday, October 14, 2005 01:43: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!

Pages