It's the A2Template!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: It's the A2Template!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #50
He's tried that, and the trouble is that to recreate Avernum towns accurately, he sometimes needs to put walls directly behind tall pillars.

quote:
Regardless of that, it is almost impossible to place it without altering the wall configuration - and that simply hasn't been very successful.
See?

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's just cosmetic, after all. Regular pillars will work just as well.

[ Friday, October 14, 2005 02:51: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #51
Did he try that? I didn't see anywere a post were he said that. Well, doesn't matter. Still, if at one side a wall stands than you still have maybe two other spots to place it, or is a corner we are speaking about?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #52
Sorry about the hiatus, and not responding if anyone has emailed me about this. I am still working on it, just got caught up in an exam a week ago, and have been practicing far too much geneforgery.

I have got Almaria & Blosk mostly done, The Castle & Patrick's Tower completely done. I have about 2 other towns in varying stages of completion.

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #53
This is one of those utilities that may not meet with immediate acclaim but will probably turn out to be useful in the long run. Don't get discouraged by the apparent lack of response; many designers (probably including me) will use this eventually.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5821
Profile #54
I was thinking of doing something in that area/time myself but i just don't have the time or patience to build it all myself. it's be great if you could send me a copy. my email is gwn2 (at) kent (dot) ac (dot) uk

cheers
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #55
On Kelandon's site you can download it if you wish. Just go to SW's homepage and click "Neat stuff," and scroll over to BoA. There you will find a link to Kelandon's page.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #56
My page is also, you know, linked in my signature. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #57
There are, literally, a ton of minor oversights in that version. Work is progressing on v 1.0.whatever. Mainly focusing on documenting deliberate changes, fixing bugs and adding the towns. So if you plan to use the template - as it is now - you can save yourself time and trouble by simply making changes that are easy to export to a different scenario. Essentially: alterations of the terrain are going to need to be redone if you use the improved version when it comes out, so stick to things like dialog, scripts and towns.

--------------------
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #58
Question- which version of the ToM will you include?

Will you include multiple ones?

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #59
Well, he's mostly basing it off Avernum 2, so I'm assuming the Avernum 2 tower.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #60
Update:
Documentation is coming along nicely. I've made a few modifications to scripts, simple ones mainly. 'Balancing & Corrections' of items, monsters. If that ain't your thing, then it will be simple to remove those changes.

Almaria, Blosk, The Castle, Patrick's Tower and Silvar are all done for! Uh... creatures, floors, items and terrain.

Cotra Ruins, Formello are both at the 20~30% terrained stage. ToM A2 is just after finding an 'origin', and is barely started.

Details:
Scripting for towns will be restricted to descriptions of what stuff looks like. E.g. the little blurb about Rone's lil' room in the Castle being done in the Vahnatai style only recently, etc. Or for placing the quickfire in that 'treasure room', inside the laboratory in Patrick's Tower.

Scripting for towns will also include naming NPC's that have actual names. E.g. Kelli from Patrick's Tower, Patrick, etc.

Magic doors that have differing TUS, STR and Unlock Doors requirements, as well as being able to be unlocked by the spell... after removing the magical part of the lock? It is now possible. Minor modifications to the door.txt and magicdoor.txt scripts, but modifications that shouldn't have been necessary, IMHO. They are backwards compatible with previous 'versions'. (I.E. Jeff's originals. And there was much rejoicing.)

@TM I said in a previous post that I might be making all the towns that I listed. I'll now say that I will be making them.

There will be the six major towns as they are when first entered in Avernum 2, minus dialogue. A second version of Cotra - as it would've been if it wasn't hit by that Empire raid. Angierach - because I'm making a reconstruction for the scenario that I will be making out of the template. Patrick's Tower - because I already have, and because I felt like it. ToM A2 Version - because the scenario I will be making off of the template is set inbetween A2 and A3. ToM A3 Version - for other's convenience.

(The template is basically going to be everything that I am reconstructing - before I modify anything for the changes that would have to have taken place over the course of the Avernum/Empire war.)

I've tried my hand at custom graphics - I just pray to god that Kelandon will convert the Windows version for me when I'm done - it'll be a true pain to... uh... 'borrow' someone's Mac, learn how to use it and then convert the scenario myself.

Final size is likely to come in at around 2 to 5 meg's when zipped, unless I cut down on graphics: which I WILL do. The scenario, when done is looking to be a bare minimum of 2Mb. The scenariodata.txt file is already at around 1000+ lines of code. But it is neatly set out, and documented.

Final Blurb:
My software design and development teacher would be so proud that... I'm finally documenting my code.

*sniff sniff, wipes eyes* It's a penguin!

[ Monday, November 21, 2005 16:18: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #61
quote:
Originally written by CPeters:

Almaria, Blosk, The Castle, Patrick's Tower and Silvar are all done for!
Oh no! Did the shades get the Castle and Patrick's Tower, too?

But seriously, I'm hosting an apparently completely out-of-date version on my website. As soon as you have a new version to release, feel free to send it to me to replace that one.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #62
quote:

@Overwhelming: My email to you bounced - not sure why. Will retry in the morning.
That's strange, as I receive other emails through it. Please, try again. If you're not successful, just PM me, and I'll PM you an alternative email address.

boa.center(at)gmail.com

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Warrior
Member # 5274
Profile #63
quote:
Update:Documentation is coming along nicely. I've made a few modifications to scripts, simple ones mainly. 'Balancing & Corrections' of items, monsters. If that ain't your thing, then it will be simple to remove those changes.
Well congrats on getting this far. When I first heard about this it seemed like such a mind bogglingly large task that I assumed you would eventually be defeated by its magnitude and left as a shattered husk of a man.

Glad to know I was wrong.

--------------------
I assume my reputation for arrogant presumption precedes me
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #64
@Overwhelming: Since I am working on a vastly different version, do you want the:
Incomplete, non Mac-patible version that is still a work in progress.Older version that is slightly buggy and incorrect.Version I am working on, when it is actually complete.@Poit: I'll be the first to admit it was a big undertaking but I did say that I have oodles of time. I wouldn't have started if I didn't know that I could finish it. It was ambitious, yes, but I waited until I had about 13+ sections completed in a little under 3 days before I even dared to raise the community's expectations.
Frankly, it is not the sort of thing a n00b should undertake, but I knew I could cut it if I tried. That and I have worked with more complicated editors than blades. I don't claim to know it inside out, but I can't help but snigger at anyone who says that it is 'complicated'.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #65
quote:

@Overwhelming: Since I am working on a vastly different version, do you want the:
Incomplete, non Mac-patible version that is still a work in progress.Older version that is slightly buggy and incorrect.Version I am working on, when it is actually complete.

Send me the version that you feel it's better for sharing (probably, the one that you will keep updating). There's no problem if it's incomplete, you can always keep me updated as you progress in your work, and I'll keep updating it in the BoAC.

--------------------

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Warrior
Member # 5274
Profile #66
quote:
@Poit: I'll be the first to admit it was a big undertaking but I did say that I have oodles of time. I wouldn't have started if I didn't know that I could finish it. It was ambitious, yes, but I waited until I had about 13+ sections completed in a little under 3 days before I even dared to raise the community's expectations. Frankly, it is not the sort of thing a n00b should undertake, but I knew I could cut it if I tried. That and I have worked with more complicated editors than blades. I don't claim to know it inside out, but I can't help but snigger at anyone who says that it is 'complicated'.

Yeah look I don't think its terrible complicated but it certainly had the potential to be a mundane and thankless task. All in all I'm glad to see you stuck with it as this is the type of tool that will be very valuable to other designers over the years. Anyway congratulations, and I look forward to playing your scenario when it's ready.

--------------------
I assume my reputation for arrogant presumption precedes me
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #67
@Overwhelming: 'K. Sending snarky email w/ dodgy version now. I'm not joking about that y'know.
(What is this, like the 17th edit already?) Seems like that email bounced too. Probably a good thing really - the current version is that much different from the previous, but does need serious cleanning before release.

To quote the bounced email:
quote:
It is buggy, incomplete, the graphic sheets need a complete reworking, it needs converting to Macintosh format (something that I cannot do.), I'm certain than there is at least some swearing in the README file, the scripts have not been put through their paces to my liking, and there are a couple of "evolutionary dead-ends" somewhere in the folder as well. All in all, it is a god damn mess.
@Poit: I have no idea if the scenario I am going to "fork" off from the template will ever be made to my own exacting standards. I'm a pessimistic perfectionist with a penchant for procrastinating. Unintentional tongue twister. Heh. Hopefully, the template will be at an acceptable standard sometime soon. Apart from cleanup, some scripting, and proper documentation, I don't think that there is a helluva lot left to do.

[ Sunday, November 27, 2005 04:18: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #68
Hi. PMed you another email address. I have no idea why the email is bouncing. (!)

--------------------

--------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #69
Update:
Both of these lists are... rough, at best, but it is a half-decent indication of where I'm at.

What has been done?
Tower of Magi (A2 Version) is floored, terrained, and mostly creatured.In-house testing of most completed scripts is done.What still needs to be done?There are still seven towns left to be scripted. (Including the three mentioned below.)There are still three towns left to be creatured, floored, itemed, scripted and terrained.There are still five towns left to be itemed. (Including the three mentioned above.)

[ Thursday, December 01, 2005 02:33: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #70
You know that you're dedicated when you've been using Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V to get around the lack of functioning 'b' and 'n' keys and still manage to make progress. Heh.

Two towns complete, three more a mere test away from being offically complete. (Officially complete under my lackluster standards, of course. :P ) Many visual glitches fixed, an extra town added (it's near completion too, I might add...) containers you can open and close, plus lock, a complete rewrite of trap.txt script with 10 varieties of death dealing (most with a single target and area of effect mode), etc.

I am desperately hoping that I get have new keyboard by the time I get up this morning. Ain't it great when someone else does your shopping for you?

sigh. I'm dog tired, bored and unlikely to work on it for at least a day. G'night people.

[ Sunday, December 11, 2005 10:00: Message edited by: CPeters ]

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #71
New version uploaded to its page.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #72
quote:
Originally posted on Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page:
Clint Peters has recreated the outdoor sections from Avernum 2 in BoA scenario format. This is a utility scenario, and all are welcome to use it to help create new BoA scenarios (with appropriate credit, of course). Note that these are the outdoor sections only.
Slightly inaccurate. There are towns, and there is plenty of scripting goodness. Might also want to flag it as a work in progress. Needs polishing, but I wanted to release it now in preperation for the unlikely advent of my death. If you're smart enough to think that reason is a crock, then would you believe that I might actually like someone to test out the template?

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #73
That sentence was accurate at the time it was written. I'll fix it now, though.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #74
I know, but I was being facetious.

--------------------

Pages