Released: Blades Forge

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Released: Blades Forge
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #75
Also, I have just realized that in adding avatars to the forum, I have wreaked monstrous havoc on the front page by placing avatars there too - including Nikki's, in all its full-page glory. I'll have to cut down those sizes somehow, and probably remove them from the front page to improve load times.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #76
Um, yeah, it's not just on the front page it's doing that. It's doing it on the Scenario pages (see AGB's entry for a particularly nasty example), on the scripts pages, and on the Graphics pages. Yikes.

The latter two (scripts & graphics) aren't that bad a problem, but on a scenario node, it'll compress and shove text aside. With a small avatar, this is a mere annoyance. With a larger one... well, it isn't pretty.

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #77
Policy 1: Avatars are now limited to 80x80, scaled on upload. I know that gigantic avatars can be fun, but I think this is a pretty sensible limit.

Policy 2: Avatars are only displayed next to comments or blog/forum posts. This will avoid collision with the complex scenario page template, and clutter on the "utility" nodes of graphics and scripts.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #78
I liked my massive Kate Nash avatar. :(

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - from the bottom of the sea.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #79
It was very You, to be sure. :)

(And part of the reason for the mass rescaling, admittedly...)

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #80
What, was it bigger than mine? I think mine was 150x150 pixels...

Edit: I wish the Recent Posts page would tell the absolute time of the post, rather than the relative time (or both, I suppose). (eg, "February 7, 2008 at 6:18" instead of "1 hour ago".) Is that doable?

[ Thursday, February 07, 2008 15:19: Message edited by: Celtic Minstrel ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #81
Nope, not really. The relative times are deeply in core, and can't be replaced.

Also, Nikki's avatar was 450x450. Beat that.

--------------------
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #82
quote:
Nikki's avatar was 450x450.
Uh, I assume you're working on this, but I think you mean is. At least, it still is on the front page. Although you have successfully banished a number of people's avatars, including mine.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
"Verbs for the weak!"
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #83
Sorry, not reproducible. I logged out to make sure, and see all avatars at their new rescaled size - yours is working too.

Have you tried clearing your cache?

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #84
I checked, and it was tiny, too. To be honest, I'd assume it would be scaled automatically. I just rathergleefully didn't tell anybody that it wasn't.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #85
quote:
That's easy to explain, but tough to fix.

- I use Views to show graphics and scripts in tables. These are shown with a brief description .
- When adding the "body" field of a CCK node (which all of these are) to a View, this body field will include all the other fields of the node (thumbnail, script source, etc.), which would look stupid in the table. There is no way to access only the text of the node.
- To solve this, I make the View show only the teaser of the node, and make CCK hide the other fields in the teaser.
- The result is that the front page (also showing only teasers) will display very little information.
- To solve /that/, I replace the front page with yet another View that shows the entire node.

The end result is that the front page displays full nodes, and ignores teaser cut-offs. I have a few vague ideas how to work around this, but haven't yet tried any of them.
By fixing a bug in the Views module, I have been able to get rid of all this mess. The front page now displays teasers as it should.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #86
With any luck, the release of Drupal 6 will soon receive a good deal of online publicity. However, if you are wondering when it will be deployed on the Blades Forge (currently on the Drupal 5.x CVS branch), the answer is unfortunately not very soon.

Firstly, I'm waiting for the CCK and Views modules to be ported - those are two hugely popular addons that the Forge is using to provide all those content types (Graphics, Scenarios, Scripts, etc.) along with the overview tables to search the site.

Secondly, there is a good deal of smaller contributed modules that will take some time to get ported.

Thirdly, I've written tons of custom code myself, which won't be easy to update for the new API. And that doesn't even count the five core "hacks" (/~username URLs, say) I've had to place in the code in order to get it to do what I wanted when writing a module was not possible.

In short, expect the entire Ermarian Network to be on D6 before the Forge is, and expect it not before July. But I will work on it soon. :)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #87
Just a heads-up due to everyone re-releasing their scenario without spaces in the filename: The bug was supposedly fixed, so that scenarios with spaces now work just fine. If it's still not working for some reason, there is another unknown bug, and if you actually encounter it I'd like to hear more. Thanks.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #88
Yeah, they weren't showing up, but no error was being displayed, hence me re-releasing. I assumed that the fix was for new scenarios, and not one of the old ones.

Anyway, if I clicked on to one of my scenario releases, it showed me the file sizes for both the Mac and Windows download, but not the actual links.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #89
A minor thing...

I loaded a page while logged in, then left and came back later (leaving the page open). I decided to post a comment, but it turned out that my login had expired. Rather than presenting me with the option to log in, it simply reloaded the page – losing the comment box and adding a message at the top saying I was not validated to post comments (because I was no longer logged in). The problem here is that the comment I was going to post was lost.

Now, this isn't a situation that is likely to come up very often, but I would expect that if you try to do something that you need to be logged in to do, and you aren't logged in, it should present the log-in screen and then allow you to proceed with whatever you were doing.
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #90
quote:
Originally written by Celtic Minstrel:

A minor thing...

I loaded a page while logged in, then left and came back later (leaving the page open). I decided to post a comment, but it turned out that my login had expired. Rather than presenting me with the option to log in, it simply reloaded the page – losing the comment box and adding a message at the top saying I was not validated to post comments (because I was no longer logged in). The problem here is that the comment I was going to post was lost.

Now, this isn't a situation that is likely to come up very often, but I would expect that if you try to do something that you need to be logged in to do, and you aren't logged in, it should present the log-in screen and then allow you to proceed with whatever you were doing.

I disagree. In my opinion, not only should what happened to you continue to happen, but the Blades Forge should draw a number from 0 to 4 every time you try to post something, and if it's less than 2, it presents you with a screen that says "Ha ha! Idiot!" and makes you do it again.

--------------------
My Myspace, with some of my art
The Lyceum - The Headquarters of the Blades designing community
The Louvre - The Blades of Avernum graphics database
BoE Webring - Self explanatory
They Might Be Giants - Four official websites for one of the greatest bands in existence
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #91
quote:
Originally written by The Almighty Doer of Stuff:

I disagree. In my opinion, not only should what happened to you continue to happen, but the Blades Forge should draw a number from 0 to 4 every time you try to post something, and if it's less than 2, it presents you with a screen that says "Ha ha! Idiot!" and makes you do it again.
Someone's been spending too much time with UBB. :P

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

Remember, kids: every time you 'lol', God kills a kitten.

My website: Nemesis' Refuge (Last Update: 3/7/08)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #92
Unfortunately, this is beyond my ability to fix. Drupal 6 has better form handling, but (see above) it will be quite a while before the Blades Forge is ready to be upgraded.

I could place the comment form on a different page, but that would require an extra page load whenever you want to post - not worth the slight chance of being logged out in the mean time, I think. If the form page has been open for a long time, you should reload to make sure the form is still available - normally sessions don't expire that quickly.
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #93
What is the session expiration time? All I know is that I get logged out overnight. I didn't expect to get logged out in 3 hours. (Or maybe it was 4.)
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #94
In addition to the question above, I have a question about the Pied-Piper project. In the event of edited posts, does it keep a copy of the old version of the post, or does it replace it?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #95
They replace it, and the old version is not kept. There are a few problems that make keeping revisions very impractical.

• Signatures are archived as part of the post, and this isn't easy to fix. If you changed your signature, all your posts would be saved as new revisions. Lots of clutter.
  • The ppp_posts table is 1 GB big as it is, and only navigable through heavy indexing and optimization. Putting old revisions in it would make it too hugemassive.
  • If content is deliberately censored (through editing, not pruning) from the forum, it will disappear from the archive. If it were kept, I'd have to take a more active role in moderating it.

Pages