I can't quite figure this out.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: I can't quite figure this out.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #0
What, exactly, does the BoA hintbook contain? It seems unusual, since the allure of BoA is the custom scenario capability, which doesn't lead themselves readily to a published hintbook.

Anyone with the hintbook feel like telling me what all it goes over? It just seems strange to me.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
It *is* quite strange. It goes through the four included scenarios the same way that the other hintbooks go through the games. That is, it looks exactly like the A3 hintbook and does the same things: lists where to get spells and potion recipes, tells how to beat the scenarios, and includes maps. It's kind of a rip-off, because you can just open up the scenarios and get the same information, but whatever.

I think it is another symptom of Jeff's clear belief that his scenarios are the most important part of the Blades experience. He advertises BoA as having four main scenarios and then maybe someday there will be supplementary ones, too. I could go on, but I'd be dredging up old issues that have been beaten to death already.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4133
Profile #2
I rather like the hintbook. It's something tangible I can put up on a shelf, along with other game manuals and boxes. It provided easy answers to some questions I had, and saved me from having to dig through unfamiliar script files for the answers I wanted.

Also, it's a reasonable excuse to give Jeff more money, and lord knows he deserves it.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #3
Hmm... ah well. Not getting the hintbook, then.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #4
You could wait for the walkthroughs to be published :)

--------------------
fishing
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #5
I disbelieve that I'll suck badly enough to need them.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #6
There are - except VoDT in the manual - another two walkthroughs already online: ASR and ZKR. I didn't use them, so I don't know, if they are exactly the same. They might be at least similar.

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
They're for the BoE versions, so they're not quite the same just in terms of the minor differences between BoE and BoA.

More significantly, though, they're not nearly as thorough.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #8
I gave only a quick look but I think the BoA hint book is much better done, but not free. :D

I used once not to read it but to only find one answer to a special problem. I found the solution in one minute and spoiled me nothing.

I think that if you want provide a hint book for your scenario, the BoA hint books could be an excellent example to follow.

But perhaps a sample set of html files could do even better with the same idea.
Infiltrator
Member # 1886
Profile #9
Actually, I wish Jeff could have put in at least a little bit of information about how to use his scenarios as working examples of scenarios (like how he specifically set up shops, or how we could edit them). It probably would help people with making their own scenarios. I'd start working on a few myself, but I'm too lazy. :P I'd be willing to help anyone who is good with the editor come up with ideas though. :cool:

--------------------
The Home of 8-bit Theater!

Some cool WoT art here

Nono! Bad Surfer!!

This is it, The Document That no Evil Overlord can do Without
Posts: 505 | Registered: Saturday, September 14 2002 07:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Mmcd:

Also, it's a reasonable excuse to give Jeff more money, and lord knows he deserves it.
Amen to that!

Half the time I'm almost tempted to send in donations just out of appreciation.
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #11
Why not send donations to your favourite Blades designers? They put in thousands of hours of work and don't get a cent.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #12
EDIT: Double post. Hate that.

[ Tuesday, May 04, 2004 15:20: Message edited by: The Creator ]

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Shock Trooper
Member # 3683
Profile #13
If it is any good as AV hintbooks, then it might worth it. I prefer holding (tangible) paper in my hand while playing games than go back and forth from hint file to the game.

By the way, if Jeff wrote those hintbooks himself, he probably should do some spellcheck before publishing them. Although they are not very important factor, I think the books reflect professionalism of the company somewhat.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Wednesday, November 12 2003 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by The Creator:

Why not send donations to your favourite Blades designers? They put in thousands of hours of work and don't get a cent.
Not only that, Jeff barely acknowledges the efforts of scenario designers. He gets all the money and all the credit. Even nice e-mails giving feedback are most appreciated.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 4334
Profile Homepage #15
I don't get the hint books, why do people always need them? You just play the game read what people say, explore and that its not that hard at all... But asking questions from people I don't mind, because you're not getting all of it, and also reading the hint book takes away the fun of the RPG eh? Who agree's with me on that?

--------------------
Its like a jigsaw puzzle with all the wrong peices...
Apprentice
Member # 1420
Profile #16
Hintbook pros & cons:

Pro:
1. Tangible counterpart to the software (mentioned by several above.)
2. Great to find out what you missed after playing through one or more times.
3. Some spells and especially some rare items are almost impossible to find from all but the most thorough game play.
4. Maps. Some people like the hard copy.
5. Lists of spells. Again, some people don't want to toggle to the on-screen display.
6. There is usually a section on "things to try after you've played the game." These might include humorous dialog or less plot-related stuff.

Cons:
You've mentioned some of them. The obvious problem is that many players have absolutely no willpower. The mere presence of the hintbook insures less satisfying gameplay.

[ Sunday, May 09, 2004 10:47: Message edited by: Soul of Wit ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #17
I don't really get the point of the BoA hintbook (I was expecting more from it), but I like the other hintbooks. Without the A3 hintbook, how could I be completely sure that I had finished every single subquest in the game?

Besides, certain spells (Haste in the Trilogy, although not in Blades) just *need* to be learned at level 3, and sometimes that can be obscure. Yes, hint sites have that information up now, but if you bought the game within a week after it came out, those hint sites weren't up yet.

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #18
I would've thought publishing a "How to use the BoA Editor" book/reference guide would be a better source of moolah. I know that there is existing documentation, but if it was presented in a manner that you could either just have sent to you, or download print out and bind, then hell, wouldn't that want to rock?

Maybe we should set about making our own? Pester top-knotch designers for their tips and tricks, write up tutorials on actual design - not just *how* to use the Editor, but how to use it well. TM's always getting ancy about town design (read his review of Babysitting), maybe he'd like to write a section?

I'm thinking kind of along the lines of the EV Bible, remember it?

Md.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #19
If I'm not mistaken, Matt Burch wrote the EV Bible, and he was also the one who programmed EV.

Still, it's not a bad idea. Among my half a dozen things that I'm intending to do in the near future, I'm going to write a tutorial on cut scenes. (I've made two HUGE ones for the scenario I'm doing right now, both 1000+ lines of code, so I think I've pretty much got the hang of it by this point :P )

Erik Westra is already trying to compile a work like what you describe, I think: the BoA Editor Cookbook. I believe he said at one point that he would encourage others to donate.

--------------------

Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #20
The EV Bible was pretty much like the BoA docs appendices, if I remember correctly.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #21
Alright, alright! :P

The EV Bible Annotated Edition... It was the nonsense Burch first hacked out with a whole stack of slighly more legible comments, tips, tricks, etc.

Drakefyre is probably a good person to approach on design type stuff, he certainly pushes for the "motive" aspect of a scenario - ie. WHY are you there and WHY is that Evil Acolyte trying to subvert the town.

Perhaps if a giant list of "Aspects to Designing Scenarios" could be compiled, things could be submitted to it and revised, commented on, etc by others. Large topics like Town Design could be broken into smaller aspects.

I dunno, hell, I haven't even double-clicked on the Editor yet (damn uni), so I'm not exactly in any position to make judgements.

Md.
Warrior
Member # 1345
Profile Homepage #22
hint books...hmmm. I would only get it because I miss the days when some games (rpg, adventure, etc) came with a thick REAL manual, made up in the context of the game, that you could flick through for ages before even starting the game (thinking of the original BG). Now you get stupid pdf manuals on the cd, but nothing will ever beat the fact that you used to get more then just some cardboard and a cd when you purchased a decent game (off the shelf).

I suppose thats one reason why piracy is really up, cause the games are all contained on that small digital format we know of as the cd. I mean, if shelf games still came out with manuals and stuff like that I personally would think about buying the better ones instead of just getting a friends copy.

Getting back to the point, I personally don't buy hintbooks, usually can figure the game out by myself. BUT there are people that enjoy playing games that unfortunately cannot figure out some of the more complex puzzles in games. Some people just aren't good at problem solving. its too bad, but the hintbook is there for those people.

In the case of BoA, i mean the scenarios aren't that difficult for me, but they very well could be difficult for other people. and those that dn't know how to open up the scenario and disect its inner workings.

--------------------
I may come across sounding more official then I actually am. Or not.