Developer's Update

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Developer's Update
Apprentice
Member # 4016
Profile #50
Well, open source programs are usually free, but not always. It's not necessary, if it is traditional. Technically, anything is open source if it comes with the source code bare and open to easy editing for all. However, since the Open Source movement and the freeware movement are closely tied, they usually get associated with each other.

Here's the Wikipedia entry on open source, which explains it fairly well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source

Still, it's possible that your assertion is correct, though I'm not quite sure what the purpose would be.

[ Saturday, February 21, 2004 00:08: Message edited by: waitwhat ]

--------------------
[Guo_Si] Hey, you know what sucks?
[TheXPhial] vaccuums
[Guo_Si] Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
[TheXPhial] black holes
[Guo_Si] Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
[TheXPhial] lava?
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #51
I'm probably thinking of things like the GNU GPL. If you sell a GPLed program to someone, they can give it away for free to as many people as they want, as far as I can see.

I imagine the point of open-sourcing the editor would be to allow people to improve its interface. It would be difficult-to-impossible to restrict the distribution of modified versions to people who had bought the original, so there is not really any point in restricting the code to people who bought the original. After all, you can't make a playable scenario without owning the game (For evidence of this, see BoE)

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
Apprentice
Member # 3936
Profile Homepage #52
If it is made open source, I don't see how the source code would be distributed with the demo version without defeating the concept of shareware by making it possible to edit out the barrier. However, of course, the demo version could be a separate program that cannot be transformed into the full version at all.
Apprentice
Member # 4016
Profile #53
n00b

Sharewear can be broken quite easily, source code or not. If you look around on the internet, you'll find all sort of cracks of any sharewear game imagineable. Crackers found out how to break the password system long ago.

[ Saturday, February 21, 2004 01:40: Message edited by: waitwhat ]

--------------------
[Guo_Si] Hey, you know what sucks?
[TheXPhial] vaccuums
[Guo_Si] Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
[TheXPhial] black holes
[Guo_Si] Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
[TheXPhial] lava?
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #54
quote:
Originally written by waitwhat:

Sharewear can be broken quite easily, source code or not. If you look around on the internet, you'll find all sort of cracks of any sharewear game imagineable. Crackers found out how to break the password system long ago.
Evil!!! Stay awaaay!!!!! :mad:
That's just WRONG, not least because of your ABYSMAL spelling of Shareware! :rolleyes:
Besides, registered BoE was shipped on a floppy disc or CD, and all Jeff's other games use a different code based on one randomised the first time you start the program up.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #55
The full version of the editor for BoE was always free, so it follows that the full version of the BoA editor will also be free.

The character editor and main game package are the only things "sold" with BoE.
Warrior
Member # 246
Profile #56
quote:
Originally written by pie:

Evil!!! Stay awaaay!!!!! :mad:
That's just WRONG, not least because of your ABYSMAL spelling of Shareware! :rolleyes:
Besides, registered BoE was shipped on a floppy disc or CD, and all Jeff's other games use a different code based on one randomised the first time you start the program up.

You forgot about another game shipped on CD. Nethergate. I searched once for fun and never found a single site that carried illegally. So the CD idea must have worked to some degree.

As for passwords... they are easily broken. It wouldn't really surprise me if, once again, Jeff went with disks or CDs.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #57
Jeff wrote about this somewhere. Hard copies of games are a bit more expensive since you have to pay for the CD and postage. They can be put online for free. On the other hand, codes can be cracked, and you're always giving out the full game. Basically, it's impossible to prevent some pirating. It's a matter of maximizing profits despite that.

—Alorael, who would say that 90% of pirates would never pay for the game anyway. In that sense, it's not really a loss, just an irritation.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #58
BoA will have the registration code system to unlock the game and character editor.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 347
Profile #59
I only skimmed through the posts above, but is there anything more than wishful thinking concerning the BOA editor being open source? I could have sworn that this topic came up for BOE and Jeff said he would never make the editor open source.

--------------------
"Take a chance and make friends with the reaper..."
"The reaper follows me wherever I go, for I've tied him to my ankle."
-DarkFyre the Pirate
Shock Trooper
Member # 461
Profile #60
Read the first post of this topic, he said he was thinking about making the editor open source, though not the actual game engine.

--------------------
"If you held a weapon to Fwiffo's head, he would say anything you wanted him to. In fact, if you held a vegetable to Fwiffo's head, he'd say whatever you wanted him to." - Spathi high council, Star Control 2.
BANNED
Member # 3298
Profile #61
Will be other languages avialable in BoA(I mean in main program and scenaries)?
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #62
Main program - No.
Scenarios that come with the game - No.
Other scenarios - Only if the designer decides to make it in another language. If BoE is anything to go by, another No.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
BANNED
Member # 3298
Profile #63
Hmmm, I successfully translated A1,A2 into Russian(partialy), and think that i'll translate BoA too.
I eaven possibly may release translation patches(but not now - my computer isn't working, but i'll repair it soon).
Why don't Jeff release versions for other languages? It can be easely done if he will make something like "Translation Studio"( for those, who can't do translation work by resource editor). So users will be able to make "language files", which can be posted in main spidweb's page. It is not hard work to make main BoA programm support multilanguage.

Don't hurt me for bad English it's not my native language.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #64
Well, why don't you email Jeff and talk to him about it?

And a scenario in French may be received well.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 4034
Profile #65
there will be more advanced graphics right based on real life?
In A3 I get tired of walking on lava and not sink to a grisly death. or not being able to destroy items by throwing it into a river of lava or water.

[ Tuesday, March 02, 2004 08:05: Message edited by: Chuck ]

--------------------
"When one thinks to him or herself about who they really are, They usually come out of it empty handed for the question be -not who am i-, but -what have i acheived?-"

Experimental forum
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #66
Probably no.

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #67
Actually, most real lava rapidly forms a reasonably solid crust as it cools; you can walk over it if you don't mind getting your feet horribly burned. The item thing is a reasonable point, though, I suppose.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 4034
Profile #68
quote:
Actually, most real lava rapidly forms a reasonably solid crust as it cools; you can walk over it if you don't mind getting your feet horribly burned. The item thing is a reasonable point, though, I suppose.
Well the Lava part is right unless its contiually heated by an unseen force, and the ability to destroy items(particuarly the Xain skull) would make a nice plus + to the game.

--------------------
"When one thinks to him or herself about who they really are, They usually come out of it empty handed for the question be -not who am i-, but -what have i acheived?-"

Experimental forum
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #69
[/QUOTE] and the ability to destroy items(particuarly the Xain skull) would make a nice plus + to the game.[/QUOTE]

I find it sufficient to just drop an item outdoors if I want to get rid of it forever, I usualy do this with the trash. Though the ability to drop an item in the water and have it stay there, (like if you drop an item while on a boat) does seam a bit odd. Maybe the water is just really dense and that's why the greatsword is able to float on it?
Warrior
Member # 4034
Profile #70
Or the sword is really light.

--------------------

Experimental forum
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #71
Sure, but if you check the weight, you'll find that it's not.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: Never Proved to Be a Contributory Factor to Stomach Cancer
Warrior
Member # 2155
Profile #72
quote:
Originally written by Chuck:

there will be more advanced graphics right based on real life?
In A3 I get tired of walking on lava and not sink to a grisly death. or not being able to destroy items by throwing it into a river of lava or water.

I think it may very well be possible to implement this by scripting the original terrain properties but being wrong is something I excel at.

---Your errorous maniac, Necris Omega

--------------------
Razordisk Frisbee Golf
Warrior
Member # 4034
Profile #73
Well I am glad a few people agree with me so far.
Thanks for the support
*CHUCK FOR PRESIDENT* Lol jk :D

--------------------

Experimental forum
Apprentice
Member # 4067
Profile #74
I would have said the best method of ensuring maximum income would have been to use a demo version that is capped and has no activation keys system and use a secure server( or just part of a server) with SSL for people to download the full version when they have paid, would require some overheads setting up the server to handle it and would also require orders received by post to be manually added to the system but overall when impletmented would offer the best compromise.

--------------------
conjecture ~ you can not prove you exist, thus you do not exist.

Pages