What articles would you like to see?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: What articles would you like to see?
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #0
As you've all probably noticed, Drakefyre and I are locked in an article war. I'm one ahead of him at the moment. :cool:

But hey, while we're churning them out, we might as well help out as much as possible. If there's some aspect of design you'd like to see illuminated, post here and one of us will be onto it and typing up an article before you can say "pack of ravenous wolves".

Also, it might be interesting to see what everyone's favourite articles are so far. :)

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #1
I would like to see an article on how to create atmosphere.

And which article did I like the best? Bob.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4268
Profile #2
An article on Dungeon Making would be Cool :)
Also one on Making custom graphics :)

:D My Favorite Article: Creating Compelling Characters :D

--------------------
He strikes silently with large claws..........and webbed feet!
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #3
A couple of good articles on dungeon design already exist at the Designer's Forum.

Dungeon Design, by Alcritas

The Evolving Role of Dungeons, by Drizzt

Custom graphics - I think Tim Farland had a guide to making custom graphics, but it's probably gone now. :(

Atmosphere - Tough one! It's a somewhat intangible thing, could be pretty hard to nail down in an article. I may give it a shot, though.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Apprentice
Member # 4185
Profile Homepage #4
There is a custom graphics database for BoA called The Louvre, which also has a guide to creating custom graphics yourself. It's not like easy to create graphics even with a guide, but it's still better than a article if you want to try it out. I'll put a link here.

The Louvre - Creating BoA graphics

Draw a lot of graphics and have fun! :D

[ Wednesday, April 21, 2004 01:10: Message edited by: Rufo ]

--------------------
Rufo, Vahnatai Ka, Te Pinoat
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #5
Article : Tricks to develop a strong main plot from a story plan/base idea.

Better title required! :D
Apprentice
Member # 4191
Profile #6
I'd like to see something to do with making puzzles, what's an RPG without at least one interesting puzzle?

On the favourite article thing? I don't want to choose, they've all been interesting, inspiring and useful.

--------------------
Beebop, who has a great chuckle at Alorael's changing signature only prefers to be witty in his own, and occasionally moronic, way.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
I also would like to see an article on puzzles. I don't really know how to create them, and yes, eventually I will go back and play BoE and see how the masters have done it, but some general direction in the matter would be greatly appreciated.

My favorite article was Bob, too.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #8
The already existing dungeon articles are excellent, but it would be nice to read a new article on dungeons, this time taking into account BoA's engine.

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #9
I have read the two articles about dungeons, interesting. They aren't technical at all and could apply to BoA. But ok they quote BoE examples.

About one advice I read, "Make sure there are at least two interesting events or encounters per level...". Well after to have play few Reamlz, Neverwinter and even Warcraft 3 RPG user made scenario, I'd say that the best is that everything should relate to story (not necesseraly the main plot of central subject ;) ). Any fights, any action, any puzzle, any places, any quest should have a story or have a bit of story wich is a part of a story.

In short put scenary and sense everywhere and avoid throw in your scenario anything without scenarized it and gives it sense.

[ Wednesday, April 21, 2004 14:58: Message edited by: Vent ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #10
I just want to say that an artical war should be avoided do to the fact that it might turn the articals into nothing but wasted space in an efort to get one more artical then someone else.
I would much rather have a few really good articals then alot of bad ones.

Just remeber that the articals are for those (AKA: me) that need help in getting their great idea out in a way that is fun for everyone.

Don't loss focus and keep up the good work all you artical writers.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #11
That's why I haven't put one out for a while - I've been busy and, while I could have whipped something up, I didn't want it to be complete crap and an article just for the sake of being an article.

But tomorrow, I think it should be finished and well.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #12
If anyone is interested in articles of a more technical nature (tutorials or how to's, etc.), I'd be willing to throw a few into the pot. Just let me know what subjects you'd like to see covered. I'd hate to spend time writing one that's either too simple or too complicated for what people need. :)

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #13
That's another thing I was thinking about - I wanted to do something more BoA-specific, but I didn't know what to write about. Khoth suggested messages, which I might write about next.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #14
Yeah, messaging was one thing I had thought about, but by all means, have at it. :) I think there are plenty of subjects to go around. Like "faking" item descriptions, making a new type of container, various forms of creature AI, repurposing graphics, special encounters... the list goes on. :) I'm sure some people might even like a tutorial on dialog that depends on the state of a SDF, or some other of the things that seem simple to the "code jockeys" among us.

That first (faking item descriptions) may be what I tackle first, unless someone would really like to see something else.

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by The Creator:

Atmosphere - Tough one! It's a somewhat intangible thing, could be pretty hard to nail down in an article. I may give it a shot, though.
That would be great. Some remarks about this article but this time before you write it.

EDIT: Deleted in to put it in a different topic.

[ Monday, May 03, 2004 19:08: Message edited by: Vent ]
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #16
This could easily be an article, were it not for its poor English.

IIRC, however, you are not a native speaker (thus making your rants coherently is a large plus). I would nevertheless suggest that you use an English spellchecker on Microsoft Word.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 4238
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Tentacle Monster:

This could easily be an article, were it not for its poor English.

IIRC, however, you are not a native speaker (thus making your rants coherently is a large plus). I would nevertheless suggest that you use an English spellchecker on Microsoft Word.

Rather than spending hundreds of dollars on software you don't really need, there are plenty of free spell checkers:
http://www.spellcheck.net/

Unfortunately, Vent's writing suffers more from grammatical problems than spelling. Just out of curiosity, what is your native language? I can tell it's not German (I can usually recognize typical German->English idiomatic mistakes), but that's about it :)
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #18
Well I tried to follow your advices to use a tool for spell and grammar checking. In fact yes there wasn't that much spelling error. About grammar, I used word and well it didn't detect a lot of stuff. At least it forces me to rewrite some sentences but my goal was just to cheat it not to write right sentences, something it didn't learned me. :D

So did it really worth the sweat? I don't believe in it because those sort of tools are far to be very efficient.

I didn't resist to add some more into this already long post, oops. :eek:
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
I didn't resist to add
Your native language is a Romance language, isn't it? I want to say that you sound French, but I'm not sure why I think that. The "didn't resist" thing is a Romance language characteristic, though.

[ Tuesday, April 27, 2004 18:31: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #20
:D , ok but beside this highly interesting problem, any comment on "Word" english style? Did it really worth it?

EDIT : "Word" hates my frequent and cute "really" I put everwhere, is it just a snob or this really doesn't mean anything?

[ Tuesday, April 27, 2004 23:20: Message edited by: Vent ]
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #21
I know which language it is, but I cheated.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #22
I also know what language it is, and I also cheated.

--------------------
====
====
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #23
Ok, well I had no doubt about it. :rolleyes:

At least it will save me time and I'll stick to savage posting with some effort. :cool: