Beta Call for Exodus

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Beta Call for Exodus
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #0
Yes, you read the title right. I'm asking for beta testers for Exodus, the sequel to Bahssikava. I'm not completely finished with alpha testing, but I'm far enough that I'd like to begin collecting testers.

Exodus is a large scenario, with 28 outdoor sections and 60 towns, and I'm hoping for a lot of feedback from testers. In addition to the usual bugs, combat balance is likely to be a very serious issue at first, for reasons that will become obvious when you get the scenario.

Beta testing this scenario is going to be a lot of work. I won't require that my testers have any experience with beta testing or skill with BoA scripting, but I will require that my testers keep in contact with me fairly regularly (at least once per week). Also, I want my testers to answer my questions; if I send an e-mail asking if you've used any spells more than others (or whatever), I'd like a response that actually answers the question. Finally, I require that my testers keep a reasonably good attitude: constructive criticism is good, but sarcastic or hostile comments will not be tolerated.

Ideally, depending on interest, I'd like to do three rounds of testing: first with a small group, working with basic bug and balance issues; second with a larger group, checking balance and bugs further; and third publicly with anyone who's interested, fine-tuning whatever remains. This means that I'd really like the first group of testers to play the scenario twice, which is a pretty large time commitment. If you know that you probably won't be able to do this, let me know down below. Also, the scenario may well not be very much fun when the first testers get their hands on it; with combat balance still up in the air, beta testing the first beta version may be much more work than pleasure.

If you're still interested, fill out the information below. (The last two questions (EDIT: Now deleted) are just for my own information.)

Name by which you'd liked to be credited:
E-mail address:
Operating system (Mac, Windows, etc.):

It's likely that I'll wait until I have a reasonable number of testers who would be suitable for the first group, and then I'll send out the scenario. I'd expect testing to start in a week, give or take.

EDIT: By the way, you can say that you don't want to be part of the first group but that you still want to test. I'll just put you in the second group or possibly keep you on hold until the third group.

EDIT 2: Questions changed to reflect current status.

[ Monday, July 10, 2006 16:28: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4847
Profile #1
Name by which you'd liked to be credited: don't care about 'credit'.
E-mail address: maigreman@yahoo.com
Operating system (Mac, Windows, etc.): Topanga windows
Do you want to be part of the first group of testers (bearing in mind the time/energy commitment that it entails): Sure, why not. Bear in mind that you endanger kittens at your own peril.
Do you have a save file for a party that has just finished Bahssikava: Yes.
Do you want to use the Beta Testing Center: Don't care.

--------------------
You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #2
Name by which you'd liked to be credited: ™
E-mail address: terrorsmartyr @ wi . rr . com (minus spaces around the punctuation)
Operating system (Mac, Windows, etc.): MacOS v10.2.8
Do you want to be part of the first group of testers (bearing in mind the time/energy commitment that it entails): A better question is, "do YOU want ME to be part of ANY testing group". ^_^
Do you have a save file for a party that has just finished Bahssikava: Probably. If not, there's always the HLPM/Artifacts Hall.
Do you want to use the Beta Testing Center: Don't care; your call

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #3
Name by which you'd liked to be credited: rakshasi
E-mail address: rakshasi1@msn.com
Operating system (Mac, Windows, etc.): Windows
Do you want to be part of the first group of testers (bearing in mind the time/energy commitment that it entails): It's summer vacation and I have no friends. :(
Do you have a save file for a party that has just finished Bahssikava: No. I could whip something up, though.
Do you want to use the Beta Testing Center: I don't care, but I don't have an account there.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #4
Name by which you'd liked to be credited: Thralni is fine
E-mail address: B.J.van.Soldt (AT) inter.nl.net
Operating system (Mac, Windows, etc.): This depends on how my new computer will respond. I'm hoping to test it on an intel Mac with system 10.4.7, but if it doesn't work, I'll do it with Mac OS 9.2.2.
Do you want to be part of the first group of testers (bearing in mind the time/energy commitment that it entails): Sure!
Do you have a save file for a party that has just finished Bahssikava: I'm sorry, no. is this really necessary? I did play the scenario, so I know what's going on.
Do you want to use the Beta Testing Center: I would think its handy, but only if you would want it. My username there is Thralni.

I would be delighted to help. My vacation just started, and my own scenario will be released, if betatesters manage to do everything wuickly, in two to three weeks, i think. I just finished the final alpha on it, so I'll have plenty of time, i think (assuming my new Intel Mac which I'm going to but today will do everything as I want it to do it).

I don't know if i will be able to participate in the second round, though, but the first one I will certianly do.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 5186
Profile Homepage #5
Name by which you'd liked to be credited: Universe_JDJ

E-mail address: universejdj@gmail.com

Operating system (Mac, Windows, etc.):

I can test under the following operating systems:

* Windows Vista Beta 2 (if BOA installs correctly)
* Windows XP Pro/Home SP2
* Windows 2000 SP4
* Windows 98
* Windows 98 SE

Do you want to be part of the first group of testers (bearing in mind the time/energy commitment that it entails):

Yes. I have plenty of free time.

Do you have a save file for a party that has just finished Bahssikava:

Yes.

Do you want to use the Beta Testing Center:

It's not a bad idea. A folder on a service like Esnips where testers can upload reports might be easier though.

[ Sunday, July 02, 2006 23:05: Message edited by: Universe_JDJ ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
My exams are over this time next week, so I can give it a try. Unfortunately, my schedule is unreliable and I might have to suddenly drop out although I will do my best.

Name by which you'd liked to be credited: Arancaytar
E-mail address: arancaytar.ilyaran@gmail.com
Operating system (Mac, Windows, etc.): Windows
Do you want to be part of the first group of testers (bearing in mind the time/energy commitment that it entails): I'll trust your rough draft...
Do you have a save file for a party that has just finished Bahssikava: Several.
Do you want to use the Beta Testing Center: Is that Overwhelming's BoAC, or did someone make something better since then? Otherwise, email would do just fine.

[ Sunday, July 02, 2006 23:04: Message edited by: Drow ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #7
Name by which you'd liked to be credited: Nikki

E-mail address: nikkisjeffery(at)hotmail.co.uk

Operating system (Mac, Windows, etc.): Windows '98 SE

Do you want to be part of the first group of testers (bearing in mind the time/energy commitment that it entails): Yeah, I have no college anymore, and no job, so I can concievably play BoA all summer!

Do you have a save file for a party that has just finished Bahssikava: Not yet, but I have one half way through DwtD that I could play Bass with today.

Do you want to use the Beta Testing Center: I'd rather use email and private messaging, but it's your call.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #8
Name: Niemand
Email address: chniwe(AT)hotmail(DOT)com
I will be in the first group if you want me. My work on Graphic Adjuster 2.0 is just winding down, so I think I have the time.
Party that has just finished Bahs: yes
Testing Center: That works for me if you want to, but it doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

(The last two questions are just for my own information.)
As a side-note: I'd like some people to use a party that has just finished Bahs, and I'd like some people to make a party in the way that I did (Artifacts Hall with some Canopy and Bahs equipment, then HLPM to level 55). If you don't have a party that has just finished Bahs, that's fine: you'll be one of the latter group.

Also, if there seems to be significant support for/opposition to using the BTC (which, yes, is Overwhelming's), then I'll go with majority opinion. Otherwise, I'll have to make up my own mind, which I haven't totally done yet, although I'm leaning towards using it.

[ Monday, July 03, 2006 06:36: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
*bump*

Continuing work. I could send out what I've got now, but I'd like to get a little farther in case any of you are crazy and catch up to where I am.

I'd really like some more testers, too.

--------------------

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #11
I'll indeed try to test on Mac OS 10.4.7, but if you have custom graphics, i have the feeling that they won't work. I, of course, could use Windows XP or Mac OS 9.2.2 in that case. I'll let you know if it works on Mac OS 10.4.7, and if it doesn't work, its up to you if want me to test on XP or Mac OS 9.2.2.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #12
I'd offer, except I'd almost certainly be very unreliable.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #13
I would offer as well, but my reliability is nil until August, and then it becomes spotty. That it took me this long to reply to the long awaited beta-call is guide enough, dontcha think? :)

--------------------
quote:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #14
Homey Maigre
TM
rakshasi
Thralni
Universe_JDJ
Arancaytar
Nikki
Niemand
A couple of others

Anyone else interested?

That's ten. If no one else signs up, I'll choose six and send out betas on Friday, wherever I am. Be sure to read the e-mail I send, because it will contain important notes and instructions.

The other four will get the betas in the second round, because I'd like fresh eyes to look at the thing after I do a bunch of tinkering in response to tester comments.

--------------------

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #15
...the suspense is killing me. No, really.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 6111
Profile #16
Name by which you'd liked to be credited: Raiden
E-mail address: tk3@jippii.fi
Operating system (Mac, Windows, etc.): windows
Do you want to be part of the first group of testers (bearing in mind the time/energy commitment that it entails): i would like to be part of second group
Do you have a save file for a party that has just finished Bahssikava: unfortunately word "just" has 2 meanings on my language,so i cannot be sure what you mean,in anycase if you mean group that has finnished bahssikava yes,if you mean has only finnished bahssikava then no.
Do you want to use the Beta Testing Center: i dont think it would hurt.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Raiden:

Do you have a save file for a party that has just finished Bahssikava: unfortunately word "just" has 2 meanings on my language,so i cannot be sure what you mean,in anycase if you mean group that has finnished bahssikava yes,if you mean has only finnished bahssikava then no.
He means a party that has finished Bahssikava and has not finished any scenarios after finishing Bahssikava. It's okay if it's finished other scenarios before Bahssikava.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #18
Otherwise, given Bahssikava's level, the only way it would be possible would be if you don't consider the HLPM a scenario, or if you're Creator.

Incidentally, I still don't know what the Beta Testing Center being referred to is? I could find only Overwhelming's, but that looks neither particularly alive nor very good...

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Drow:

Incidentally, I still don't know what the Beta Testing Center being referred to is? I could find only Overwhelming's, but that looks neither particularly alive nor very good...
As I said, I was referring to Overwhelming's thing. I'm now leaning towards not using it, because, well, why bother.

--------------------

BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Drow:

...or if you're Creator.
Not true. Creator could not beat Bahss with a level 1 party.

(Heck, he couldn't even do Canopy. But that's not much of an insult-- level requirements in BoA are much steeper in severity than they were in BoE. Imban wrecked B2 with a level 1 party and Thuryl did Echoes with the same, but those kind of stunts just aren't possible with this system.)

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #21
Goody! i got everything working on my Intel Mac, so I'll test your scenario on Mac OS 10.4.7.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #22
quote:

As I said, I was referring to Overwhelming's thing.
Sorry, I didn't read your earlier reply.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #23
I just sent the beta to the following people:

Homey Maigre
rakshasi
Universe_JDJ
Arancaytar
Nikki
Niemand

I'm holding the remaining testers in wait for fresh eyes on a more polished product. People can feel free to continue to sign up, and I might stagger in others as time goes by, possibly within the next few days or the next week or so.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #24
I have begun, and everything seems fine so far.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"

Pages