Beta Call for Exodus

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Beta Call for Exodus
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #100
E-mail. Bug reports by e-mail.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #101
The Exodus beta is now going public! That's right: even if you weren't among the select few chosen to be the first testers of the scenario, now you, too, can achieve eternal fame and glory by having your name in the readme of an actual released scenario! All you have to do is go to the Exodus page on my website, download the scenario, play it, and send me a report with any bugs or problems you encounter. It's that easy!

Seriously, I think most of the significant bugs have been squashed at this point (although I have no doubt that some are lingering still). I'm now equally interested in discussion points: is the acid damage under Manikoss excessive? Is Inferno (or Cloudkill or the Divine Slith Spear or whatever) overpowered?

Feel free to use this thread to start discussion about points that are more subjective, like these. Actual bug reports should be sent via e-mail, though.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #102
Yay for triple-posting! However, I wanted to bump and give new information as well.

New version. This version (finally) fixes the graphics, thanks mostly to Luz, who gave me good versions. Thanks also to one new tester who has already gone through and finished the whole scenario!

I'm leaning now towards reducing the damage done in Under Manikoss. Too many people think that having their health reduced to zero every few turns is too difficult. Are there any objections to me doing this?

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 5186
Profile Homepage #103
I doubt if there would be any objections. That was quite hard, and as I mentioned in my reports, if I didn't have a stock of potion form previous scenarios, it would have been very, very hard.
Apprentice
Member # 7490
Profile #104
Still one bug I've found that may have to be ironed out. In certain battles (the only one I remember for sure was the barbarian leader in Nakhtha), a message popped up reading something like "Skill too high. Resetting to 0." Is it meaningful?

(Note: this is in the PC version.)

[ Friday, September 15, 2006 11:36: Message edited by: Elninho ]
Apprentice
Member # 7491
Profile #105
Okay, I've finished the public beta, and already sent Kelandon an e-mail, but I forgot about an error that I saw earlier. Unfortunately, I think my save is already long past the error, so I can't give exact details, but I believe it was the second-to-last exile camp, and a "corner" or "edge" was missing. e58 or e59 (or a58 or a59) I think? Arg...
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #106
quote:
Originally written by Elninho:

Still one bug I've found that may have to be ironed out. In certain battles (the only one I remember for sure was the barbarian leader in Nakhtha), a message popped up reading something like "Skill too high. Resetting to 0." Is it meaningful?
I can't change this. This is how BoA responds to high-level parties. It has no in-game effect, though.

I'll put this in the readme, since it seems to worry a lot of people.

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #107
New version up. Inching closer to release.

Several people wanted me to reduce the webbing power of malachite slimes. According to the docs, the power of a creature's special ability depends on the creature's level, and (for obvious reasons) I don't want to reduce the malachite slimes' level considerably, so I can't do much about their ability to web.

My general feeling is that it's not a big problem, since the simplest thing to do is send in a meat shield (or some summons) to get immobilized and take damage while spellcasters and archers stand back and fire at the slimes.

However, I have reduced the amount of web the webbing aquamarine slime radiates. It was entirely possible for the whole party to get webbed to the spot and sit there for an extremely long time as the slimes tried to kill them.

I also cut the damage in Manikoss from about 900 every few turns to about 200-300 every few turns. I liked it better the way it was, but too many people complained.

I have just a few more things to take care of before I take the "beta" label off.

[ Saturday, September 16, 2006 19:11: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 7490
Profile #108
Am I hallucinating, or is Silthokh missing from the lava ocean camp? Ethass is irritated by him, and I see mats with merchandise on them, so in theory he should be around there - and the HINTS.txt file says the same - but I can't find him.
Apprentice
Member # 7372
Profile #109
IIRC, he's somewhat near the dock.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #110
He's the one standing right behind the mats with merchandise.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 7490
Profile #111
In my game, if I talk to the slith standing next to the merchandise, that's Ethass, and Silthokh is nowhere to be seen. I'm suggesting that this is a bug, because the merchandise had me expecting to see Silthokh right there, and he's not!

[ Sunday, September 17, 2006 10:30: Message edited by: Elninho ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #112
Leave town and re-enter.

If that doesn't fix it, send me an e-mail telling me exactly where you are in the scenario (which quests you've completed and so on), and if at all possible, send me a save file with which I can reproduce this bug.

I'm having a really frustrating experience with characters vanishing or not being named on other people's computers, and I can't reproduce any of these effects on mine. There is absolutely no reason that I can see why Silthokh would not be there, unless maybe you've just ended a cutscene and one of the endings is not right.

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 7490
Profile #113
All quests through the Lava Ocean have been completed. The guy's still missing, has been absent from all the cutscenes that have taken place, and is missing from the next camp.

Will send a savegame soon. (Not right now, I'm too busy at the moment.)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #114
quote:
Originally written by Elninho:

All quests through the Lava Ocean have been completed. The guy's still missing, has been absent from all the cutscenes that have taken place, and is missing from the next camp.
Aha! I unified the character IDs for identical characters in different towns. If he's not showing up at the next camp, either, you must have killed him at some point. How did you pull that off without causing hell?

--------------------

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #115
Windows users: I forgot to update the BMPs when I updated the graphics for the last version. Re-download if you get errors.

TM has suggested that the Slime Pit is too long. Thoughts?

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #116
quote:
TM has suggested that the Slime Pit is too long. Thoughts?
I would agree. I restarted the game, because I got stuck and have a question as to the why, but I completed the slime cave both times and stopped playing both times, feeling somewhat bored after a while.

After the mayhem of the B... Pit that to me is a highlight and so very enjoyable, this one seems unrelated to the mayor plot line of continuing your journey - more like a sidequest, at least at that point in time. Maybe that's why my patience wore thin. I prefered the next city. Though I was sent to M... to satisfy Legare's whims, I was at least exploring the place.

It's also where I got stuck. You released a new version and I restarted my game and am approaching M... again. What happened is that I couldn't figure out a way to leave the town alive and whole. Now I suspect that I should have been able to use the boat and that would indeed have solved my problem, but I can't board the boat, because the bridge is not linked to the shore. Is this meant to be so? Or is my computer creating problems for me?

[ Wednesday, September 27, 2006 00:05: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Rache's A3 Site reformatted 2/3 done
Rache's A3 Site, original version
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #117
Well, it's Kass's whims, not Legare's, but I guess that point hasn't been made in the scenario at the distance that you are.

You say that you can't figure out a way to leave Manikoss alive and whole? I'm not sure where you're having trouble. You go into the underground area, retrieve the two items you need, go back the way you came, and then walk out the east gate. None of that has to do with a boat...

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 7372
Profile #118
You forgot the part about staying alive.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #119
quote:
You forgot the part about staying alive.
Right. Well, if the boat isn't needed I've made a mistake somewhere, as just walking out is what the problem is. That's what I wanted to know, thanks.

--------------------
Polaris
Warrior
Member # 6912
Profile #120
how do i get into the library in the Possanatheon (i think thats right)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #121
The library? You walk through the doors.

There are some doors (that lead to a stairway to nowhere) that can't be opened, though.

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #122
I haven't played for a couple of days, but had time this evening and am confronting a problem again. I went to the peninsula, then (searching for a path to return to the camp) to Fort Alora. I opened the northern gates and went uphill until I reached the river. Then, using the stepping stones and flying the rest, I crossed the river and returned to the camp to report to Kass. Unfortunately Kass doesn't give me an option to tell him what I found. What went wrong?

--------------------
Polaris
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #123
When you "went to the peninsula," did you actually enter the town that is the peninsula?

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #124
Mmh. I'm not quite sure. I died in Alora and went back to a former save file. So this could be it. Thanks.

edit: I'm still puzzled as to what it was that got me stuck in Manikoss. It's not important, but I still wonder and would like to know. I send you a PM.

[ Friday, October 06, 2006 04:58: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris

Pages