What feature that the Avernum series lacked would you most like to see in BoA?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What feature that the Avernum series lacked would you most like to see in BoA?
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #51
That's why lord Jeff needs to make it to where the game creates a file that stores custom item graphics so that the items can be transfered between scenarios.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #52
IIRC, Pygmalion will do that. So ha.
Warrior
Member # 2788
Profile #53
Martial arts - if we're talking of actual, combinatory moves a la Diablo 2 or Street Fighter, that'd be great. If it's meant as another special skill, rather se diverse melee options.

--------------------
For forty years I've been selling water
By the bank of a river.
Ho, ho!
My labors have been wholly without merit.

-Harada-roshi.
Apprentice
Member # 2959
Profile #54
I think you should be able to be a Vahnatai.

I mean you can be a Nephilim or Slitherzaki from Avernum 2 onwards so why can't you be a Vahnatai from Avernum 3 onwards. They could have a high exp penalty and come with nice bonuses to all spells and maybe a slight bonus for melee weapons. You could also have a slight frailty effect where they take slightly more damage.

--------------------
http://www.evula.com - EVula's Lair
http://www.ev-nova.net - The YAY!
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #55
I would like them to bring back poisons for weapons. The tool use skill could determine how well you are at apllying the poison to your weapon. Then all the "posion potions" would actualy have a use!
BoE Posse
Member # 2475
Profile Homepage #56
I thought poison potions existed in Exile, but you could only use poison to put on weapons.

[ Saturday, May 17, 2003 17:32: Message edited by: xxo ]

--------------------
http://members.aol.com/risberg/blades/

Eternity approaches.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #57
Poison potions just poison you. And do other nasty stuff. Poisons, like xxo said, are what's applied to weapons.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #58
Having poisons back would be nice, although they probably won't come back since it would require new engine coding even for poison application, let alone alchemy and deciding which monsters should drop it.

—Alorael, who can't say he used poisons much. He always hoards his limited use items until they are absolutely necessary, which in his mind is never.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 2709
Profile #59
Less standard spells, more unusual ones. Definitely. Although let's not be too hasty about getting rid of any, because I find almost every spell useful at some point in the game (except terror.)

(Random Thought) A really neat spell would be something that pushes an enemy back a few squares, say, 4. This would come in handy no matter what level you're character is at. In the beggining a tough Melee creature, like a bandit or nephil leader, could be pushed back from your party so the mage and priest could deal with it. Later on, it could have multiple targets, or enemy mages would use it on your fighters. Makes for some really interesting strategies (AKA every fighter know it, every fighter hasted, fighter attacks melee and casts spell so creature can't attack back)

--------------------
Looks like someone needs to stick their head in some Ice Water...
Apprentice
Member # 3006
Profile #60
Vahnatai PCs.
Get Magic bonuses every few levels or something.

It should have been in Avernum 3 and it should be in Blades.

What'dya think
BoE Posse
Member # 2475
Profile Homepage #62
Well,
SPOILER ALERT
There couldn't have been Vahnatai PCs in A3, because they were your enemies then.

[ Tuesday, May 20, 2003 19:01: Message edited by: xxo ]

--------------------

Eternity approaches.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #63
quote:
Originally posted by Bren92:
Vahnatai PCs.
Get Magic bonuses every few levels or something.

It should have been in Avernum 3 and it should be in Blades.

What'dya think

Because Vahnatai are more dextrous than nephilim, almost as strong as sliths, and generally too powerful as a race.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Apprentice
Member # 3012
Profile Homepage #64
when is BoA coming out and are there and screenshots? will the graphics be better or the same engine used for it.

--------------------
hey mate, gimme some money, i dont know where my next meal is coming from........

Neither do i mate, i dont know if its gonna be maccas or KFC, now **** off outta here you homeless **** with one thong, go get urself another thong you homeless ****!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #65
BoA will come out in winter 03-04, and we should see screenshots by october or november, but possibly earlier. It will use the A3 engine and most of the same graphics.

--------------------
====
====
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #66
Unfortunantly, Capture Soul and Simulacrum won't be in BoA, at least that's what I've heard.

Has Jeff(or anyone else.) decided which spells would replace Capture Soul and Simulacrum? Or will they stay?They're my favorite mage spells, because you can choose what you summon.

--------------------
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #67
quote:
Originally posted by Drakefyre:
Because Vahnatai are more dextrous than nephilim, almost as strong as sliths, and generally too powerful as a race.
Um, I thought one of them in A2 said that they didn't even have the physical strength of humans and had to rely on their magic (probably blessing and shielding) in melee combat.

--------------------
PhoenixNinjas!
Ninja-Moderation!
What we need is Urban Wisdom!
Vote Wise Man!
Shock Trooper
Member # 48
Profile #68
quote:
Originally posted by Starbridge42:
I think you should be able to be a Vahnatai.

...They could have a high exp penalty and come with nice bonuses to all spells and maybe a slight bonus for melee weapons.

How about this:

1. Only the Vahnatai may cast Capture Soul and Simulacrum (if these spells are going to be kept).

2. The bonus should apply only to Vahnatai weapons. That probably means increasing the variety of Vahnatai weapons as well instead of including only the old "Cursed, regular, fine, magic, alien" waveblade.

(A quick crazy idea:

Waveblade of death: Has a chance of instantly killing any living creature that has a head. :D )

--------------------
"Father, forgive them, for they don't know what they are doing.-Luke 23:34
BoE Posse
Member # 2475
Profile Homepage #69
quote:
Originally posted by y0d1n2a3:
1. Only the Vahnatai may cast Capture Soul and Simulacrum (if these spells are going to be kept).

They won't be.

--------------------

Eternity approaches.
Warrior
Member # 2155
Profile #70
What feature would I like for BOA to have as opposed to the rest of the Avernum series? More/better lighting effects. Instead of just darkening for night, being able to add colored tints to show effects of magic. Such as you walk into a dryad's grove and everything is really green, or an evil daemonic (yes, I do enjoy the old style spelling) altar emanated hellish energy and bathes everything in red. I know not the nature of programing, so I have no idea how hard/complex this would be to implement, but if it's possible with light and dark, maybe it would be feesible with other tones...

[ Saturday, May 24, 2003 06:53: Message edited by: Necris Omega ]

--------------------
Razordisk Frisbee Golf
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #71
Text Response, Field Spells including Quickfire, Fire and Force Barriers. And ability to vary lighting like in BoE.

[ Saturday, May 24, 2003 09:37: Message edited by: Hydrofishie ]

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
Shock Trooper
Member # 48
Profile #72
I'm not sure if JV would agree with these, but...

1. Make some "battle spells" be usable in town mode.

2. This may be annoying in some scenarios, but consider this: You enter an enemy's fortress. They attack you. In BoE or A1~3, you are safe if you leave that place. Consider adding an option that some of the defenders inside will chase you after you leave :eek:

3. Did anyone mention "being able to fight on horseback"? (Sure, you can make "cavalry" custom graphics and give them higher speeds, but there should be some kind of damage bonus or penalty for them...)

4. In BoE, Magic Map gives you the map for the whole city, but it can't be cast outdoors. In A1~3, L3 of this spell can be cast outdoors but never gives the play the entire map for the town.

Consider changing the spell to ->
L1: Shows a small area indoors. If used with a sapphire, shows the whole town.

L2: Shows a larger area indoors. If used with a sapphire, shows the whole town. Can be used outdoors to show a small area, but doing so consumes a sapphire.

L3: Shows the whole town indoors and a small area outdoors. If used with a sapphire, show the entire outdoor section (potentially very useful).

--------------------
"Father, forgive them, for they don't know what they are doing.-Luke 23:34
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #73
You can do #2 in BoE with exit specials and outdoor encounters.

--------------------
====
====
Apprentice
Member # 3021
Profile #74
first and foremost i'd like to see more flexibility with item equipping. its been a long time since i've been able to play my character in Exile(Avernum, whatever). apparently there was some sort of disease that crippled everybody's second hand so they can only hold shields. While it may not seem like much to some people I dont plan on buying BoA unless i can equip two swords.

also id like more flexibility with the starting party. especially number of party members. having four as the default is fine but the option for more as well as less should be available.

(I havent even gotten the demos for 2 or 3 because i doubt these were added, but i could be wrong. please tell if i am so i can try them out and possibly order them.)
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #75
Andy: Magic Map is a scenario designer's nightmare. It takes all the challenge out of exploration in many cases. In fact, I'd rather see a way to deactivate the automap entirely in certain areas.

Fighting on horseback, ambidexterity, and more party members all require engine changes, and thus will almost certainly not happen. Ambidexterity also has the problem of doubling the amount of damage done. With the cap at 200, damage is already high enough.

—Alorael, who thinks that choosing not to buy BoA just because of equipment restrictions is just a bit ridiculous. At least give the demo a try before refusing to buy.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #76
quote:
Originally posted by Bames53:

also id like more flexibility with the starting party. especially number of party members. having four as the default is fine but the option for more as well as less should be available.

You can have less by deleting party members at the creation screen. If you want more than four party members, give Exile a try.

--------------------
====
====

Pages