What feature that the Avernum series lacked would you most like to see in BoA?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What feature that the Avernum series lacked would you most like to see in BoA?
Apprentice
Member # 3038
Profile #77
dual wield (just tone down weapon damage duh),and more uses for secondary skills like Arcane Lore...like a mage who has certain benefits from his high arcane lore but can't concentrate as much on new spells...which would qualify him as a runelord ;)

edit: apart from toning down weapon damage...to dual wield effectively there could be something like the ambidexterity trait in Exile.The character would do more damage in the beginning,but later in the game when even fighters with only one weapon would hit the damage cap,he'd be still stuck with his exp penalty.

[ Wednesday, May 28, 2003 04:45: Message edited by: Runelord ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #78
With only two trait slots and the ability to reach the cap at even fairly low levels, I can't imagine that many people would choose ambidexterity besides new players who aren't aware of the problem.

—Alorael, who still thinks Jeff won't want to bother working in the programming for a minor and not even terribly useful change.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 3038
Profile #79
I would ;) and judging by the number of requests for it I'm not alone.How much tweaking would it take to implement it?
Shock Trooper
Member # 461
Profile #80
Ambidextrity would be either ridiculously overpowering or almost pointless if it were put in BoA (depending on if the damage cap was changed). Alorael did a good job explaining why. Are you seriously not gonna buy the game if it doesn't have ambidextrity in it? Although I admit it would be cool wielding two weapons with different abilities (flaming and icy longswords would be neat), it's not a big deal and would hurt the game more than it would help it.

Oh, and there haven't been very many requests for it.

[ Thursday, May 29, 2003 11:07: Message edited by: Jawaj ]

--------------------
"If you held a weapon to Fwiffo's head, he would say anything you wanted him to. In fact, if you held a vegetable to Fwiffo's head, he'd say whatever you wanted him to." - Spathi high council, Star Control 2.
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #81
quote:
more party members all require engine changes, [/QB]
Well, in Nethergate you could have more than 4 party memebers so that change shouldn't be to hard to make since the Avernum engine is based partly on Nethergate. Also it would be nice if you could target field spells like cloud of blades at ANY square even if it doesn't have a visible creature in it, so you could get rid of those nasty guardians, black shades, and other invisible monsters. Or at least make a reveal spell that will make invisible monsters visible.
Apprentice
Member # 3050
Profile #82
Me, although it would require, probably, a major Hardcode change, I would like to see different punishments for different crimes, like in Morrowwind.

I would like to see a different crime for theft, then say, for murder, wiping out a town, etc etc.

Also, again warrenting a hardcode change I imagine, making Lockpicking a crime, and possibly some sort of "thievery" skill where you would take stuff from people, rather then just laying around.

Just a few ideas ^_^

Be seeing you.

--------------------
And lo' thy Floodgates have opened once again, and the fetid sea of Darkness comes rushing out to consume the world of man. Their number is legion, and their power absolute, for nigh are the end of days, and who, now, shall intercede for the souls of men?
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #83
Actually, it sounds as though what you want will be accomplishable through scripts. I'm pretty sure there's a sample script of a door available on Spidweb's website somewhere, and you should be able to modify it to criminalize lockpicking. Wait for input from Drakefyre to confirm it, but I think you'll be in luck.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #84
Can you actually build in a punishment for making the town hostile in any way (theft, murder, alarm trigger)?

Like in Exile 3, when you piss off Fort Emergence, the Tower of Ghikra, or Erika's Tower, you are automatically killed?

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Shock Trooper
Member # 431
Profile #85
I'd like any good spell to replace that Cage spell... yeah, sometimes it was useful for God knows what (I never liked it, so I don't know), but there are so much better spells!

I also like the idea of text response... it makes the game more challenging... :P

--------------------
GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY TOMATO!
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #86
What about schedules? I was kind of surprised that all those shops stayed open 24 hours a day. Doesn't anybody sleep? Mybe this could be accomplished with code?
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #87
I'm almost certain that you could use the door locking script to make lockpicking illegal, no, wait, I am certain.
You could get it to check lockpicking against first aid skill if you liked, and then summon 12 dogs if your first aid divided by your strength plus dexterity equaled four and you fail to open the door while simultaniously being on horse back, if you really wanted to.

(The only bit that I'm unsure about is the horseback bit, I'm fairly sure of the rest.)

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Apprentice
Member # 3021
Profile #88
quote:
Drakefyre :
You can have less by deleting party members at the creation screen. If you want more than four party members, give Exile a try.

Yeah i know, i have all of the exile series :)

To Jawaj :
and that explains why my not buying avernum just for a couple of features isnt so unreasonable.

benefits of dual weapons:
-you get two attacks
-if both attacks hit then you do more damage at a given skill level
-it would be cool to be able to set the targets for the attacks separately but that wont happen because it would require an unreasonable amount of work for the game programer.

disadvantages of dual weapons:
-each attack does less damage at a given skill level (or the second attack does alot less and the first does normal damage)
-defense is severly reduced at a given skill level ( but not much worse than having just one one-handed sword and no shield)

basically having two weapons make a character more attack oriented. it would be an even fight between fighters of equal skill with one weilding sword and shield and the other with two swords.

even the xp penalty would be offset by the fact that the character should get more kills. (are xp assigned for kills or just evenly assigned over the whole party?)

[ Monday, June 02, 2003 11:29: Message edited by: Bames53 ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #89
Experience is distributed equally, not by kill. The ability to do 400 damage in one round would far outweigh any defense penalty, and even a second attack with only half the strength would be too much. Lower the damage of the second hit too much and it's worthless at lower levels, though.

—Alorael, who doesn't see the point to the discussion. Jeff won't do it. Changing the inventory and equipment system would take too much effort, and if he's willing to spend time he should work on more important additions that people want, like NPC's.
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #90
I love those games, where the more levels your characters are, and depending on the 1 weapon you have equipped, you could attack about 10+ times :P

--------------------
—Zxquez Zolohahni
Xerch'de/Rate.
Apprentice
Member # 3050
Profile #91
I agee about that schedule thing. I mean IMHO there is not much of a point in a game having a Day/Night cycle without NPCs reacting to it. Have some places open at day only, some at night(Medieval Dicos?) and some 24 hours a day(Medieval 7/11?) ^____^

--------------------
And lo' thy Floodgates have opened once again, and the fetid sea of Darkness comes rushing out to consume the world of man. Their number is legion, and their power absolute, for nigh are the end of days, and who, now, shall intercede for the souls of men?
Apprentice
Member # 3084
Profile #92
I'll add my vote for a text entry field. It would allow the obvious plot devices (non-multiple-choice riddles and passwords, etc.), but I can think of another capability that text entry might allow.

Party/PC possession of custom items might be transferable from one campaign scenario to the next if the following conditions are true:

1. Both scenarios support the same custom items.
2. The earlier scenario closes by giving you an alphanumeric code which records all of the items you possess.
3. The subsequent scenario opens at or near the equivalent of a "baggage claims counter," where you can enter your code and retrieve your custom items.

Certainly this would require careful scripting to encode/decode the custom equipment lists, but text entry would at least allow easy player input of such codes. (I suppose that the same thing could be done with a LONG string of traditional multiple choice responses, but simply typing in a code would be much easier for the player.)

Also, it's inevitable that some players would try to decypher/hack the codes in order to give themselves ridiculously powerful inventories. I'd argue that this is fine for two reasons.

First, players who enjoy finding cheats often derive more fun from "unmasking" the codes than they do from actually playing the game (and aren't we playing to have fun?). Second, it's not as if BoA will be a MMORPG (thankfully!) ... i.e., cheaters aren't cheating anyone but themselves.

Of course, like most everyone else here, I don't know the exact designer capabilities that will be available in BoA. Maybe my idea won't be possible after all, with or without text entry. Still, it's worth considering until we know for sure.

[ Monday, June 09, 2003 10:58: Message edited by: Churl ]
Warrior
Member # 3082
Profile #93
Spells. I want to see more spells. Old spells, new spells, unique spells, wierd spells, field spells. mindduel, barriers, quickfire, area effect spells, drain spells, debuff spells...
Drop terror and give us bind foe back. To balance it (level 1 was overpowered), simply make level 1 slow one enemy and keep the rest as it was.
Apprentice
Member # 3083
Profile #94
I agree i always liked two blade its halpful for 1 PC partys by doubling your max damage.

--------------------
The living can not understand the beneifits of death.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #95
In Exile, the Black Halberd and two waveblades do virtually the same amount of damage. In Avernum 3, the damage cap is 200, so there is no way that dual-wielding would increase that.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #96
Or each sword could count as an individual attack, in which case the damage cap would effectively be raised to 400 and everyone would use two waveblades (or whatever overpowered weapons appear in Blades).

—Alorael, who thinks the balance on combat has already suffered from A2 to A3. There's still no need to make it even worse in BoA.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #97
All I know is that I got mad whenever I'd attack those last Vahnatai guys (some super-vahnatai, i forgot their name) that the 192 to 199 damage I was dealing at the time didn't kill them in one turn... they had like 200 something health.

Which is good... I really didn't ASK for my ultra-awesome warrior, who is human I might add, to deal max damage with every hit. It took the challenge out. I play Morrowind now...

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #98
Would it be possible to implement gender in Blades of Avernum? So we could choose wether our character is male or female?
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #99
Well you can pretty much do that now... (graphics selection)

I'm curious as what you think the advantage of choosing a sex is?

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #100
Men's room, ladies' room. I'm sure all those designers out there will be able to think of other uses.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 1373
Profile #101
I think you should be able to use papyrus and have a mage write down a spell and create a scroll for a non-magic character.

Also, I think that there should be a quest list for A1.

--------------------
"So long, and thanks for all the fish!"
-Douglas Adams

Pages