What feature that the Avernum series lacked would you most like to see in BoA?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What feature that the Avernum series lacked would you most like to see in BoA?
Warrior
Member # 2570
Profile #127
quote:
Originally posted by Desert Plah:
It sounds downright naughty.

A rating betwixt "PG" and "R". I've got the dilemma of feeling guilty and rating a scenario an exaggerated "R", or a misleading-and-harmless-sounding "PG".

Sorry for the last post.I was tired(posted it 22:34 at local time) and when i'm tired all kinds of stuff like that amuse me to no end.But the scenario is not for kids anyway.Four words:Concentration camps and bordellos.

--------------------
Speed and power!
Galaxies explode!
And Kekkonen shall descent to punish us all!
It's armageddon,it's armageddon!
It's the Day of Kekkonen!

"But Dirt Dragon rulz 0k.Dirt Dragon would HäX0r HAL 9000 in 10 seconds if he would get a keyboard!!!!111111YAY DITR DRAONG RULZ 0K YAY LOL OMG WTF!!!!!!11111"

Join our *wonderfull* "party" at The Club of All!

Join our *lovely* Cult at Dominions X!

Iä, Iä my brother...
Warrior
Member # 2570
Profile #128
quote:
Originally posted by Eldibs:
Here's 2 things I think BOA should have: The ability to make an item run a script through a special ability, and the ability to change an items abilities through a script.

That way, you could have more realistic (or strange) weapons, such as a sword that levels up, or a mace that gives you 500 gold for every 7 golems that you kill.

That would be *SO* nice.I could finaly make "Brew of Visions" that would do all kinds of funky stuff like healing the drinker and few steps later poison and dumpfound him.And the leveling up sword is already in Amazonian Saga,or that is what i hear.

--------------------
Speed and power!
Galaxies explode!

"But Dirt Dragon rulz 0k.Dirt Dragon would HäX0r HAL 9000 in 10 seconds if he would get a keyboard!!!!111111YAY DITR DRAONG RULZ 0K YAY LOL OMG WTF!!!!!!11111"

Iä, Iä my brother...
Warrior
Member # 2570
Profile #129
Actualy,ability to define both gender and ability to use the race of your characters in scripts would be well enough for me.

--------------------
Speed and power!
Galaxies explode!

Iä, Iä my brother...
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #130
The ability to make an item run a script through a special ability, and the ability to change an items abilities through a script is a grat idea. Think of this, you could have a particular weapon clasing and bashing sound for your special weapons. For expample I could have the sword Soultormenter to sound like a wind blow or have it play at least two difrent wind blows randomly when hitting a target, or have it gain levels with each monster killed exept for magical monsters with no soul.
So in the item creation options you could have
strength, weight, damage, special abilities and all those basic options plus an advanced options menu containing scripts such as play sound when hit, play sound when miss, trigger special when used kinda options. BoA could also limit the number of SPECIAL items and the triggers they have to prevent weird crashed or exesive memory usage like playing absurd long sounds or long specials one after another with every hit the weapon makes.

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #131
XYZ, please avoid posting multiple times in a row. It's looked down upon. There is an Edit button to, you guessed it, edit your posts to add more.

I'm only the messenger...

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3138
Profile Homepage #132
quote:
Originally posted by Kennedy:
I'm trying to remember if Exile allowed characters to choose where they could drop things or not. It would be nice if you chould choose where you drop your items rather than just having them all pile up at your feet. I also would like the ability to put things into containers. Then maybe you could create something like "recycling bin" where it gives you 1 coin for each pile of trash you put on the space.
I agree, especialy on tjhe put thing into dressers, drawers, etc instead of just taking them out. i e-mailed Spiderwed and requested that!
I'm glad someone agrees with me

--------------------
Help me out, click Here
Join it and get me some cash, and have fun!
Warrior
Member # 2570
Profile #133
quote:
Originally written by EEP_Karzoth:

XYZ, please avoid posting multiple times in a row. It's looked down upon. There is an Edit button to, you guessed it, edit your posts to add more.

I'm only the messenger...

OK,dad...
OK i won't do that again...
And i have pestered you enough.
Sorry.And i like many smaller post over a single giga post.

--------------------
Speed and power!
Galaxies explode!

Iä, Iä my brother...
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #134
I agree. But like I said, I'm only the messenger. The moderators don't really like multi-posts. I can see why but it's not my place to say anything about it.

I mean hey, when I first came here I got told the same thing.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3096
Profile #135
quote:
Originally written by xxo:

quote:
Originally posted by y0d1n2a3:
1. Only the Vahnatai may cast Capture Soul and Simulacrum (if these spells are going to be kept).

They won't be.

Why? It WAS in BoE IIRC (and you didn't need a soul crystal to cast it)

--------------------
You go in, You go out, Repeat if necessary. - The Official Moron Guide For Sex

Be disgusted! (Not really)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #136
ADoS said that Capture Soul and Simulacrum will be replaced, and maybe Terror too. The former two spells are at least as useless as the third, IMHO.

While many players insist that Summoning sucks, I actually think it's useful in some places. CS&S, however, is ridiculously overpriced and gives only one monster. And when you are actually able to get the really powerful monsters captured, you'll usually not need them any more because you're strong enough to mash the enemies yourself. And with 30-40 spell points paid for summoning a single creatures, you can usually do a lot more useful things.

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #137
:eek: WHAT!! Simulacrum and Capture Soul eliminated!?... :(
Those spells were fun, and proved very usefull many times, ever tried using and army of hasted Ur-Basilisks!! or those acid spitting slugs!...its a lethal combo, thats how i got rid of the Doomguard and many other nasty monsters, I know, its energy consuming and to some its kind of weak and cowardly to hide behind summoned minions but hey, thats the purpose of magic!! to blow stuff up and summon creatures from a safe distance...waste terror, its useless, but dont waste Simulacrum and Capture Soul. ;)

A posible solution could be uniting both of these spell in one Mirror Soul Spell or something like that and fix the exesive energy consuming problem with an item like a ring of feedback that could reduce in 1/3 the energy cost of spells!!

[ Friday, June 27, 2003 18:08: Message edited by: The_Nazgul ]

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #138
First, you need to FIND the Ur-Basilisk, then you need to stay alive long enough to cast capture on it several times until it works. Basically, you can capture soul monsters only if you're able to kill one of them without breaking a sweat. Giant slugs are useful, I agree. Never get spell-casters however, they all spend their time blessing and hasting themselves instead of attacking the enemy.

The period of time between the point where you're able to capture, and summon useful monsters, and the point where you don't need them because you're strong enough, is rather short.

In any case, from what I've heard that CS&S is going anyway, it's a decided thing. And if you've ever tried persuading Jeff to make a change, you'll guess what it's like to persuade him NOT to make one. :P Good luck... :P

[ Friday, June 27, 2003 21:51: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 3096
Profile #139
My first double post! YEAH!!!!!!

[ Monday, June 30, 2003 15:31: Message edited by: Dacovind ]

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 3096
Profile #140
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

First, you need to FIND the Ur-Basilisk, then you need to stay alive long enough to cast capture on it several times until it works. Basically, you can capture soul monsters only if you're able to kill one of them without breaking a sweat.
SEVERAL TIMES????? I could catch anything (almost) in one try with CS at level 3!

OOC: If you're interested:
quote:
Dacovind's list of best CSed monsters:
Ur-BasiliskDark WyrmGazer/Mung Demon
IC: While we're talking about changing spells: What about adding a *Deva* with the *Divine Host* spell? :)
(With a better AI for the shades when he's alive?)
*silence*

Damn... :(

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #141
Cool idea. Now the next question: How do you script that? ;)

It's hard enough writing a good AI, it's harder to make it act stupid on purpose... :D

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 3096
Profile #142
No idea. :cool: Maybe like this:
if Deva=Alive
ShadeAI=Intel
else
ShadeAI=Idiot

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #143
Something like that, and I use 'like' broadly here, would be in the code. However, that doesn't save someone from having to program the differences between Intel and Idiot.

—Alorael, who isn't sure there is a difference between Intel and an idiot. Oh, wait... Ignore that OS discrimination moment, please. It was all for the sake of a bad pun, really!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #144
Maybe it could be done this way.

if Deva Hostile=Alive
ShadeAI=Hostile
else
ShadeAI=Neutral*

if Deva Friendly=Alive
Shade AI=Friendly
else
Shade AI=Neutral*

(neutral meaning it will attack the nearest creature hostile, friendly or even neutral.)

That would be easier to do and it will give the creature a new berserk feel to it when the Deva dies. :cool:

--------------------

Pages