HLPM v1.1.2 released

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: HLPM v1.1.2 released
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #0
Library updated to include Bahssikava and Backwater Calls. Small bug fix to the bug described by Thuryl here.

If anyone has any requests for the next version of the HLPM, now that I'm done with Bahs, I can probably put some work into improving this thing. Feel free to request new features.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
The only improvement I can think of is adding a greater variety of items to the shops, especially for higher levels. Given that there's a limit to how high-level a scenario can realistically be, though, that's not a huge priority.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #2
The librarian's dialogue wasn't updated.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
Also, SW's Finns are "inexplicable", not "explicable".

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
Okay, fixed.

And at some point in the near future I'll look into adding more items for higher levels. That's a good idea.

I'm thinking about moving the Arena out to another town and making it more varied, but I think I might wait for the rewritten editor in order to do that more efficiently.

[ Sunday, March 06, 2005 19:45: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #5
More items for the shops yes, Better variety more magical rings, bracelets etc. Perhaps somehow a merge between Artifact Hall and HLPM. So like the library, some items from every scenario would be available. Oh and at high levels like 60 and above the only monsters no matter the difficulty level in the arena are dragons. Maybe some more high ended badies. Possibly have the HLPM fit into the Avernum world in some way. I now Machrone does that to some extent. Perhaps thoughthere could be more.

[ Sunday, March 06, 2005 19:52: Message edited by: VCH ]

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #6
Could you add a couple beasties that are tougher than dragons for high level parties to fight in the arena. Here are a few suggestions:

1) Demon golems.
2) Purple Dragons.
3) Avatars-- I am guessing there is a Slith Avatar as well as a Nephilim avatar.
4) Ur basilisks.
5) Null Chitrach mixed with Dark Chitrach. (Bug Fight.)

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
The default Demon Golems and Ur-Basilisks are lower level than the dragons.

I could make new creatures for the uppermost levels. The reason that I didn't before was that I wanted to keep the custom objects script to a minimum and stick mostly to default items and creatures. But I could.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #8
i like the idea of more towns you know town one HLPM town two arena . . . . .
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #9
Another way to improve the arena would be to add a third option to the type of fights.
1) Melee combat.
2) Missile combat.
*3) Melee combat with a separated area like the missile combat area for archers.

Also one tiny peeve. You cannot collect any items dropped on the missile platform after you kill the creatures.

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #10
quote:
Also one tiny peeve. You cannot collect any items dropped on the missile platform after you kill the creatures.

why would you want to the are shops right around the corner you can get the exact same items a milline and a half times

[ Monday, March 07, 2005 10:52: Message edited by: hawk king ]
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #11
Sell them for gold, or to equip. I took a level 1 party and leveled to 15, but I still felt I had 'eh gold. So I fought and sold the items. But missile combat...

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by His Toastliness:
*3) Melee combat with a separated area like the missile combat area for archers.
How would this work? Monsters that have melee skills but are put at a distance from the party, which has archers? That seems kind of silly, because it'd be exactly like ranged combat except that the monsters wouldn't be able to hit back.

Oh, and yeah, I can probably work in some way to fetch the items from the other side of the chasm.

[ Monday, March 07, 2005 12:15: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #13
Is there some way you could fight your own party. Somehow a duplicate of each character?

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

Is there some way you could fight your own party. Somehow a duplicate of each character?
Somewhat. You can copy over stats but not items. I'm going to be really annoyed if anyone releases a scenario that does this before I get the chance to.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 4710
Profile #15
Just wondering if it would be feasible to incorporate the shop without having to use the level raiser. I sometimes enter the HLPM to offload my items or identify certain things I have picked up in other scenarios, yet it is impossible to buy say, items equivalent to one's level unless they raise themselves to said level in the HLPM.

Edit
Hmm, now that I think of it, since you set the utility so that the shops can be called only once, for this to happen the player would have to be given the option to call the shop when they entered the scenario or somesuch.

[ Monday, March 07, 2005 15:31: Message edited by: JMAN123 ]

--------------------
Life is short. Use a Mac.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
Since v1.1, it has been possible to do exactly what you're asking. Just walk into the Shopping Area. When the line comes up that says, "The HLPM reads your party as level [x]" as you're walking in, that means the shops have been set up.

The whole point of separating each part was so that each would function independently. You can use the Level Raiser to have a standard HLPM experience, but you can also use the Shopping Area for a between-scenarios shopping experience or the Arena for combat practice.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 4710
Profile #17
Alas, poor me, I had not put the updated version in my scenario folder. How foolish, no?

--------------------
Life is short. Use a Mac.
Apprentice
Member # 4191
Profile #18
How about the ability to bet on yourself winning in an arena battle. That way it could be used to make a little extra cash without having to fight enemies that drop items. You could also work in different odds too. A level 10 party vs. level 10 monsters might have 2:1 odds, but if they fought level 15 monsters they might get 3 or 4 to 1 odds?

--------------------
Beebop, who has a great chuckle at Alorael's changing signature only prefers to be witty in his own, and occasionally moronic, way.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #19
You would have
1) A separated area (raised ledge) with archer monsters-- that could not be directly reached by the party members.

2) In the open area in front of the ledge; a group of melee monsters.

Thus you would have to use a combination of melee and missile combat. This would be in a tight space-- so it would be a bit tougher than melee or missile combat alone.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 5362
Profile #20
I like the idea of more varied high-level monsters. Fighting dragons (or vanhati lords in ranged), from level 40 (or was it 45) onwards, gets pretty boring.
Shock Trooper
Member # 455
Profile #21
Increase the spell levels for sale in the shops. The HLPM party I created for Bahssikava had to start with spells that were, on average, less powerful than those thrown around by a party that goes through the Spidweb scenarios.

--------------------
Forgive them, for they are young and rich and white.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #22
Good to know. I'll take a look at the VoDT, ASR, ZKR, and DWtD scripts to see what spells are for sale there.

Any other item balance issues? Recipes? Anything with the shops?

[ Tuesday, March 08, 2005 14:31: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 455
Profile #23
The key word there is "average": the SW scenarios are committed to raising all spells to level 3, but after that, there's a good deal of variance between one spell and the next, depending on scenario design and player preference. My DwtD priest (level 34) has War Blessing and Repel Spirit at level 5 (and could have gotten the latter higher, if I'm remembering right), which is obviously a great advantage in Bahssikava, but perhaps not elsewhere; and, meanwhile, several of the party's other priest spells are at much lower levels. I don't know how you'd reproduce that in the HLPM without scripting some way of giving a player a lump sum of spell levels to apportion as he or she pleased. Perhaps a rough approximation is to make a new level of spells above 3 available every 10 levels after level 30? (So level 4 at 40, 5 at 50, etc.)

Needless to say, my level 40 PCs that have gone through A Perfect Forest and Canopy have even higher average spell levels, but Canopy is hardly where you'd go to benchmark sane game balance.

--------------------
Forgive them, for they are young and rich and white.
Apprentice
Member # 4390
Profile #24
I had a problem with the shopping area. I went to the selling area and sold a whole bunch of stuff I had from a few scenarios I played and instead of getting money for it, money was deducted from me. I tried using the green ruins to get the money back, but they didn't give me a dime. I used the shopping area without using the level-up area, if that could be a problem. I only needed to unload some extra items from a couple of scenerios.

Pages