6 and a half hours later...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: 6 and a half hours later...
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #25
True, Imby, but I skipped over the spoiler one, and the others after should either have the same mark or not give hints. Ah well. I'll probably just grab my sister's book and find out soon enough anyway.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #26
[i] -----SPOILERS----- [/i]

*sobs melodramatically* Sirius! My poor Padfoot! I bought the book in an Italian airport and read it all on the plane ride back to Philly. My friends, who hadn't bought the book, all told me not to tell them what I was crying about.

Incidentally, the British edition, as all the English-language bookstores in Italy are run by Brits, is only 760-something pages.

I had sworn bloody revenge on J.K. Rowling for killing off Snuffles, but then I figured...he didn't really die...he just kind of fell into the Twilight Zone...so maybe he'll come back or something in book 6 or 7 for a visit to the land of the living, and I wouldn't want to kill J.K. before she wrote the next 2 books. When she's finished Book 7, I'll find her house and burn it down.

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #27
I can help you on that, RoR. I'd be glad to do so.

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #28
Fell into the Twilight Zone? Um, WTH? :P
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #29
She's just high or something.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #30
I heard he was duelling a Death Eater in some underground chamber, and fell through a 'magical portal of death' or something like that. That's only a garbled rumor passed on through word of mouth, mind you. I haven't actually read this far myself yet (My father and my sister take turns reading it at the moment, so I don't get to read. ;) )

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #31
Just a little moment ago, my mom called to me from downstairs, and when I got there, she shows me this.. this.. this brick of a book. The new Harry Potter, in english. It's the only one we've bought, and this.. is here. I get to read it now, I don't have to wait until next year. You know what? It makes me darn happy ^_^.

Oh, and I should say it'd be easier to read if they'd made the book slightly longer (the size), and the text smaller. Now it just looks awkward.

--------------------
Ah! My Homepage - In Finnish and English
Geneforge - The Maps
My Elfwood Gallery - Stories I've written in english
The WALL - Forums in Finnish
Waiting for medication. I could really use some.
Warrior
Member # 2128
Profile #32
closes her Eyes

Aaaaargh! I´ve got mine since monday. In english, of course, the german one won´t come till november, 11th.
I´ve made it to page 220, and I won´t read here any further until I´ll have gone through all 766 pages.

Sorry enough a chatter friend accidentaly spoiled yesterday who dies :-(

Its really good to read, but after reading the first four books in my last summer holidays I might be in good training (my abilities in english are more passive than active).

Harry Potter is so fantastic. It would be even better, if it wasn´t so popular ;-)
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #33
She announces in advance that someone is going to die, then gleefully critically injures main characters one by one. Cruel and evil :P

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #34
Ahem. The only one I know of is Arthur Weasley, who is bitten by a snake under mysterious circumstances (too vague to be a spoiler). Any others? :confused:

--------------------
---
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #35
quote:
Originally written by Iolanda:

Harry Potter is so fantastic. It would be even better, if it wasn´t so popular ;-)
A very good point. Despite the fact that the books are quite good (I won't give them more than that, there are several authors miles better but less popular because they sometimes leave more than a line aside for description...) the whole cheering-mass-of-zombies-wearing-pointy-hats-outside-the-shop thing makes me wonder if I'm not actually turning into a braindead 8-year old, as most of the fans seem to be...If it wasn't for that, I'd probably be more enthusiastic about them. (And my parents wouldn't think they were the work of the devil...)

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #36
Wait. You're joking, right? :eek:

I mean, HP is not the best book I've ever read (It doesn't even come close to Anne McCaffrey or David Eddings, which are also pretty mediocre IMHO), but to say it's the work of the devil is going a little far, eh? :P

I know that some schools/libraries have banned the books for that reason, but I can't really believe it. Anyone that thinks it's harmful, or 'satanistic' in any way has obviously never read it. :rolleyes:

Or did you just exaggerate?

--------------------
---
---
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #37
I didn't. My parents have actually gone as far as to ban the book from the house, it's so 'evil'. (And you thought Sir David was strange...)

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
La Canaliste
DELETED
Member # 21
Profile #38
I can understand why they might think it is evil, but not if they have actually read any of the books.

The themes are things like the battle of good and evil, the importance of friendship and trust, staying true to oneself in the face of provocation, that who you are is defined by the chices you make much more than by who you are born.

All those things seem perfectly compatible with Christian faith to me: the use of magic seems a device to allow a young protagonist the freedom to have these adventures in a modern setting.

However I am a woolly liberal who likes fantasy and rpgs, so what do I know?

--------------------
KazeArctica: Oh yes.
KazeArctica: Oh YES
Warrior
Member # 43
Profile #39
It strikes me strange--we read Harry Potter (well, my oldest son who is 9-1/2 and I) here, and I've gotten into numerous discussions w/ people who think that the novels are antithetical to Christianity because there's "witchcraft" in there. Almost universally, they have not read so much as one of the novels, and are basing their opinion on second- and third-hand information in articles which are so misleading that I would call the articles lies. As an example, one article claims that the Harry Potter novel supports a world view in which "there is no good and evil, there is only power, and those too weak to see it," and attempt to bolster that claim by giving a page citation. What they fail to do--thereby lying by omission--is note that those words were in the mouth of a villain (who ends up defeated a few pages later).

The magic in Harry Potter is clearly a literary device within the tale which is primarily a coming-of-age story. It is also quite clearly unrelated to anything like real-world Wiccan practice, and is nothing more than an alternative science (note that the wizarding characters describe things such as electricity and telephones as "Muggle substitutes" for magic).

I find the books quite enjoyable and well-written. We also aren't going in for much of the hype--we have copies of all 5 books (so far), the 2 movies on video, and my oldest son has most of the Lego sets as well as a computer game. For our copy of the last book, we didn't go to the bookstore and get into the midnight madness parties--it was pre-ordered from Barnes & Noble and arrived on Saturday via the FedEx guy.
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #40
Hmm. I read an article in the Onion about J.K. Rowling and how she sold her soul to Satan for the ability to write the books and get them to sell (the Onion, for those of you who don't know, is a parody newspaper with fake satirical articles) and some fanatical Christian found it online and tried to pass it off as real.

And no, I'm not high. If you read the part I'm talking about, it makes no mention of him actually dying. It just describes his fall through the mysterious archway, but not once is the word "death" or any of its derivatives used.

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #41
btw: Omlette, how come your parents allow you to these boards - and the rpg games - at all? I mean, in fantasy rpg there's more magic and more demons and other stuff than all the HP books combined. :confused: Or do they just 'censor' the books, and not care about computer games?

What I also wonder about is why the LotR books by Tolkien never caused so much antipathy (as far as I know). I know Tolkien was a devout roman catholic, but what about J. K. Rowling, is she an atheist, or why would people react so much differently? :confused:

--------------------
---
---
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #42
quote:
Omlette, how come your parents allow you to these boards
Omelette is supervising the computer room in his school.

--------------------
Polaris
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #43
Yeah, I think it's really dumb that people are banning Harry Potter, but there have been a lot of cases where kids called in to ask how to jinx their parents... apparently, some kids take this all a little too seriously, maybe that's why people are concerned.

As for the book, I finished it last night and I must say, it was much better than all the rest. Of course I still felt like pulling my hair out every time she put somethign exceptionally childish in there (the trash can that eats things, burps, and then spits the waste out.... *shudder* That pissed me off, and so did all that kind of stuff) but overall it was good. One thing I don't understand is, if Harry et co can beat these Death Eaters relatively easily, why are they so feared? I mean, a couple stunning spells and they're out... and these are just kids, after all...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #44
Uh, it's a rape against literature and intelligency, what can you expect?

--------------------
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #45
I don't know, my "intelligency" seems fine after reading all five books. Don't know about you, though.

--------------------

BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #46
Well excuse me for probably misspelling something dear GRAMUR WNECH, I happen to dislike HARYH POTRAH, mainly because it's world sucks. If they can say "DIE", and thus kill someone with no difficulties, it's not a good thing. Once again, excuse me, perhaps I should go get a gun and give the trigger a good squeeze.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #47
I found the article Mangophobia mentioned! :) Click here This is actually a copy of a chain letter that copies the joke article from the Onion site. ;)

Oh, btw, I've run a search on "Harry Potter" + Rowling + Satan. Most of the pages I found are either jokes and parodies, or unavailable (taken off the web by their respective authors as likely as not, to retain a shred of a reputation as sane people :D )

I did find a few that made no mention of being jokes though. That's what scared me; I don't know they're serious, but if they are... :rolleyes:

Harry Potter: A new twist to Witchcraft

The Devil's Storiyteller

By far the funniest site I found was this:

Harry Potter: Satanic Godsend Mainstreaming Witchcraft

It complained about satires written about the matter - because 'some Good Christians take the joke seriously, write chain letters, and are maliciously given a bad name'. It amuses me no end, because in effect, they're saying satires are dangerous because Christians are too stupid to recognize them. :D

[ Thursday, June 26, 2003 08:22: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
---
---
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #48
I think that if anyone thinks that Harry Potter is the work of the devil, or if they start worshipping Satan or practicing the occult having just read it, they are STOOPID!! No exceptions.
(I can take people not liking it, but only if they've read it) (And you'd have to be pretty stupid to believe that the London Times is a real newspaper. Just the Times. Bet someone going to come along now and prove me wrong and then I'll be the stupid one.)

Though I have come across some pretty obsessive sites in the past, listing, for instance, every single word different in the American and British versions (kinda weird really, things like "trash can" and "bin" or "cine-camera" and "video camera" and even "shan't" and "won't". But it is true that an American might not understand half the stuff in the original version. Even talking to an American you don't understand half of what each other says sometimes)

Anyway, how come Dragyn Bob had a book with at least 160 more pages?

[ Thursday, June 26, 2003 09:00: Message edited by: The Great Orangutan ]

--------------------
~ørangutan

I want high-bit characters in my displayed name!!! :( :( :( (Or at least an exclamtion point!)

Eat pie!
BADGER!
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #49
I talked to TM about this briefly - if spells are so easy to learn (seemingly, only the words of power are required for most of them), why did Harry try to disarm Voldemort rather than try to simply off him when they dueled in Book 4?

Pages