6 and a half hours later...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: 6 and a half hours later...
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #50
Apparently you have to really feel it or something like that, or you need all the correct wand movements.

quote:
Mad-Eye Moody in book 4:
You could all point your wands at me and say those words and I wouldn't get so much as a nose-bleed
(Not exact, but pretty close)

--------------------
~ørangutan

I want high-bit characters in my displayed name!!! :( :( :( (Or at least an exclamtion point!)

Eat pie!
BADGER!
Warrior
Member # 2000
Profile Homepage #51
Rowling is being sued by a number of people for dirrectly stealing entire plotlines. In one case, besides a few of the main characters, ALL the characters names were stolen from another book. The whole 'He who must not be named' is a clear Sauron theft, as it clearly states somewhere in those biblical texts that is what he is known as. Not only that, anyone with a bit of sense relises that IT'S BEEN DONE. She has NOTHING orginal to offer us. Let's think...Kids born with special abilities. Not liked by normal society. So they run away to a little school with some uber-powerfull headmaster who teaches them to control their powers. Ira pointed out that all the X-Men had diffrent powers, yes. But still...and doany of people actually PLAY Exile? I mean The Tower of Magi? Of course, that's not really mainstream...but it was still several years before the first book. Anyway, the death of Sirius was anything but sad. We've been hearing the stupid unorginal writer telling us alllll about how some main character, close to Harry was going to die, how she couldn't even write it! How she CRIED when rereading it. This was a year ago. We wait, thinking it'll be good. Then they kill a idiotic pointless stupid dry B character who they tried to devolp (Poorly I might add) in the latest installment of an already silly series.
HP is only a trend. Like Pokemon. You can try and defend it, but before long you will understand...hey, we've already done this before. (I mean how was Pokemon NOT Magic Cards?)

--------------------
Since Imban Likes to Edit my Posts ...

... And Drakey likes to edit your signature. Stop it, Ed.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #52
Well, I think the books are indeed not as good as most fantasy books, and I sometimes have the feeling that I'm not in the right age group to appreciate them. However, it's better than I could do :P , so that's good enough for me. I'll read them anyway, because in order to know whether a book is good or crappy, I need to have read it myself.

I'm not defending them. But, LI, your post seemed to me just a little too aggressive. I'm not accusing you of trying to start a flame war, but it might result in one if there any with strong opinions to the contrary here. ;)

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #53
Uh, but Mr. Industrial is right. Who would want to argue?

*TGM runs, fast, trying desperately avoid all the weaponary thrown towards him*

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #54
I believe he's just decided to dislike her books, instead of remaining neutral and forming his own opinion. The books aren't that bad, but oh well.
*BURP*
I find my main problem with them is the frustratingly terrible over-use of improbable arguements. They go way beyond any normal person's capacity. There are several points in the story where I would have cut people's throats.

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain, ohhh, I'm tired of the strain and the pain.

Lair of Blades
Wise Forums
Desperance
Polaris
Bash
BANNED
Member # 3121
Profile Homepage #55
Yeah, I've found those points too. Want me to list some?

First Book, page 1
First Book, page 2
First Book, page 3
First Book, page 4
First Book, page 5
First Book, page 6...

..you get the idea?

--------------------
- WITH LOVE, THE OL' RELIABLE BOYLOVE, TO BE EXACT
Warrior
Member # 2000
Profile Homepage #56
I'm agressive because I used to be a Mod here and I can get away with creating flame wars and being agressive towards specific or general people. Despite what they say, you do not get equal chances as Mods. Or else Alec and TM would have been banned a long...long...long...LONG time ago. And me for that matter.

--------------------
Since Imban Likes to Edit my Posts ...

... And Drakey likes to edit your signature. Stop it, Ed.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #57
Amen to that.

OK so they're far from the greatest, but you have to admit, Fred and George made it a bit interesting, this time aruond anyway... and I like how she put someone like Snape in...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #58
I wanted to see Harry try to talk man-to-man with Snape, about his worst memory and his father. Not just get mindlessly angry.

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain, ohhh, I'm tired of the strain and the pain.

Lair of Blades
Wise Forums
Desperance
Polaris
Bash
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #59
I've always thought Snape was one of the most improbable characters in the book. He comes over as someone who never really grew up, but he's been accepted into a position of responsibility in the most important wizard school in the world.

On top of that, I'm really confused by the fact that they don't seem to every learn any 'normal' subjects. How do they get on without a basic understanding of maths, for instance?

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #60
Well, they don't go to Hogwarts until they're eleven, so I assume they go to nonmagic school until then, or are homeschooled, or some such like.

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #61
Excuse me while I go look at my abridged edition of War and Peace. Ahem. Not even 700 pages. It's still a long and arduous read, and Rowling isn't a tenth of the writer Tolstoy was.

There's my issue with the Harry Potter books. As the fans have become more mindless and fanatical, they're willing to gobble down whatever tripe they can get their hands on, the more of it the better. Similar to Apple zealots.

Of course, I have an attention span just bordering on clinical deficit. Books longer than 200 pages begin to grate mightily.

I'm not trying to kill your fun here. I think it's great that people are actually reading something other than trash.

--------------------
You are my precious thing
Thing of speed and beauty,
You are my precious thing
As long as you remain beneath me
-- Big Black
Infiltrator
Member # 2242
Profile #62
Does Rowling plan on killing off characters in every book? When she killed of Cedric in Book 4, that was enough. If she thinks the books will sell if she kills off characters, she's wrong. She needs to come up with a better plot twist than that.

BTW - My friend (who completely hates HP) predicts that in the end Harry's parents will be magically revived by a magic thing and all will be happy.

--------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #63
I think the major reason people dislike Harry Potter is because they are the people who would normally dislike trends. I have to admit, normally I'm one of those people. I'm first to criticize and last to compliment.
However, I discovered a nice get-out clause for this stereotype I'd normally fall into. I discovered the books long before they became popular, and so avoided despising Harry Potter for all the merchandise.
I think they're great books. They've got children to read again - who doesn't want that? They may not be the best fantasy books. The Lord of the Rings and His Dark Materials series outstrip them in ever regard. But still, they encourage people to read more fanatsy books and again, that's a good thing.

And, if all other arguments fail, they're a few steps up the ladder from David Eddings.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #64
I really don't see the whole thing with the His Dark Materials series... I read all of them and really don't think they were all that good. I'm not just saying that because God dies, either. They just get a bit sappy and falsely philosophical... a little annoying... and there was something about his writing style that REALLY pissed me off, but I can't remember what it was. The plot was ok but the idea was just a little screwed up. Oh well. That's just my opinion, and I have heard others say the same thing, though apparently we're not the majority or it wouldn't be so popular.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #65
His Dark Materials managed to end every last book oddly / sadly.

Well, I'm pretty sure it did - I read the second book (The Subtle Knife?) exactly once and did so like 2 or 3 years before I read the third one, which I cannot remember the name of.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #66
I've met lots of people who completely disliked David Eddings' books; however, I haven't really understood this. I mean, he's not the best writer around, but what is it you don't like? The writing style, the length of the books, the constantly recurring theme?

He basically chose the same plot in a different setting with his two series (the Belgarath and the Sparhawk one), with those two principles (Orb/Sardion, Bhelliom/Klael), and he had rather repetitive writing, but it's not as bad as some of the authors around. For example, have you ever read Karl May? :P

The problem with Philip Pullman's (I think that the His Dark Materials series was by him, correct me if I'm wrong), is that he wrote a book intended - judging by the protagonists and the point of view - for children and adolescents, but then put a lot of obscure philosophical stuff in that would have only been understood by adults mostly, and to compensate he makes the philosophical stuff really obvious and the storyline really simple. I had this feeling when I finished the last book, that I was disappointed in the ending, but only because I hadn't really understood it. I intend to read that book again in maybe 10-20 years to see if my views have changed. ;)

--------------------
---
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #67
Y'know, I totally agree with Ed and Morgan and anyone else who say they don't like big trends. I absolutely despise those kinds of things. I just can't help liking the books of Harry Potter though. Everything else (merchandise, films, other random crap like that...) I just hate. It's like some other things, such as Big Brother, on TV. Total, utter boringly stupid crap, but I still watch it.

And whoever it was who posted before me (began with an A), I think you should read His Dark Materials again now anyway just to see if it makes a difference (How old are you?).

--------------------
~ørangutan

I want high-bit characters in my displayed name!!! :( :( :( (Or at least an exclamtion point!)

Eat pie!
BADGER!
Warrior
Member # 2128
Profile #68
Im at page 489, but I decided to look here anyway :D

quote:
Originally written by Firedrake221:

BTW - My friend (who completely hates HP) predicts that in the end Harry's parents will be magically revived by a magic thing and all will be happy.

THAT would happen if HP was written in Hollywood. The books are getting darker and darker, so I guess, that we can be happy if Harry doesn´t decide to live as a muggle in the end of book 7.

By the way: Can somebody please explain me, why there was an other title of Book one in US (...an the sorcreres stone) and UK (... and the philosophers stone). Are the books translated an if Yes, why? I mean things other than spelling like color and colour, Is Us- and british english really so different?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #69
I've heard there is the difference of trash can and dust bin, and some stuff like that. ;) That's very interesting to me, because over the holidays I have to write a large essay on the evolution of languages. There is more difference between American and British English than you'd think. :D

It's a miracle they understand each other sometimes. :P

--------------------
---
---
Shock Trooper
Member # 3026
Profile #70
I find that HP has just such a really generic storyline, characters, message, etc. that it becomes really predictable after a while. I don't see what all the hype is about. There is no real 'underlying profundity' that I can find and I do not understand how so many perfectly intelligent adults can read something intended for nine to fifteen year olds. I'm not suggesting that people should only read something if it expresses intelligent and unique ideas and thoughts, and I think there's a place for literary bubbly, but ten year olds don't read Good Night Moon, so why should thirty year olds read Harry Potter? I'm just depressed by families who have more videos than books and sixteen year olds who think Thomas Hardy wrote War and Peace and kids who automatically write off the works of Shakespeare, Homer, etc. as being 'moldy oldies'.
I really think adults reading kids' books contributes to the degeneration of literacy in the middle class.

As for Philip Pullman, at least he attempted to pull off something interesting and unique. I do agree with Arancaytar, though, about his need to reorganize his audience priorities.

(Read Arancaytar's post below for the idea which used to be here. I garbled the last part of this post. It was late.)

[ Monday, June 30, 2003 13:17: Message edited by: The Great Regression ]

--------------------
And this was very odd because
It was the middle of the night
- Lewis Carrol

well well well aren't we resilient

Oh the fun

Most generalizations are, unfortunately, true.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #71
Things become popular because people like them, usually. :P

Some people think it's childish to adhere to the majority's views for the sake of being in the majority; it's just as childish to disagree with the majority for the sake of disagreing with it. People should form their own viewpoints no matter if they conform with the majority or not. For example, I mostly like classical music, like Bach etc, that is absolutely out of fashion, but that doesn't mean I'd be embarassed to admit if I enjoyed a song that is completely new and fashionable.

What I hate is people - not just children but adults in some cases - who speak of Tolkien as 'the guy who wrote the accompanying novel to that great fantasy movie, but who got loads of stuff wrong in his books'. Funnily, I read LotR exactly one year before the movie came out, so the film was a pleasant surprise ;) .

--------------------
---
---
Shock Trooper
Member # 3026
Profile #72
Nye thanks Arancaytar for saying what he tried to say but with a higher level of coherence and eloquence.

--------------------
And this was very odd because
It was the middle of the night
- Lewis Carrol

well well well aren't we resilient

Oh the fun

Most generalizations are, unfortunately, true.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #73
As does Sir David, except without the "what he tried to say" part.

Edit: I just realized that "Sir David thanks Arancaytar for saying but with a higher level of coherence and eloquence" doesn't make any sense... but you know what I mean...

[ Sunday, June 29, 2003 09:57: Message edited by: Sir David ]

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Warrior
Member # 2128
Profile #74
quote:
and I do not understand how so many perfectly intelligent adults can read something intended for nine to fifteen year olds. I'm not suggesting that people should only read something if it expresses intelligent and unique ideas and thoughts, and I think there's a place for literary bubbly, but ten year olds don't read Good Night Moon, so why should thirty year olds read Harry Potter?
That is a point I do not get.
Why shouldn´t I read a really good book for children? Have you ever read Michael Ende or Erich Kaestner? Their books are literature and really fantastic (forget about the "nerverending story"movies, even the first is lousy compared with the richness of Endes book).
I read for relaxing from a job with really non-trivial matter. I enjoy reading well written and intelligent storys, but mostly not high-literature. I like well-written crime storys, SciFi (much Ben Bova lately), well recherched historical Stories and Books about Mathematics and Physics. Are these Books for Children or not? I was 15 when I read "the pillars of earth" from Follet and "the name of the rose" from Eco...

[ Sunday, June 29, 2003 12:05: Message edited by: Iolanda ]

Pages