3D spiderweb games...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: 3D spiderweb games...
Apprentice
Member # 3094
Profile Homepage #0
perhaps it's just me, but I would love to see some of the games here updated with a new game engine is full 3D... roaming around a landscape in 3D would be awesome especially with the detailed back story as we have with all Spiderweb games.

just a thought...

I'm out.

--------------------
My game will be out soon!...... no really it will!
Babelicious
Member # 3092
Profile #1
Hey, I'd like a pound of dope, a dozen loose women, and a quart of good vodka right now, too. Doesn't mean I'm going to get it.

--------------------
(( take my hand and join us ))
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #2
What, Geneforge and Avernum aren't good enough for you? *scoffs*

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
3D would make several things impossible:

a - Turn-based combat. Ever seen a 3D role play game with turns? They all involve either mashing a key or the mouse button, or complex sword movements that involve similarly complex key combinations, while the fight is in real time. I basically hate RPG's that aren't turn-based, because it makes me nervous to be under time pressure.

b - Cheap prices. Good graphics cost a lot. So 3D games would be more than double the prices we pay now.

c - Easy customization. If we get a 3D Blades of Exile, you can forget custom graphics; they'd be impossibly hard to make.

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 147
Profile #4
Baldur's Gate is turn-based, it just doesn't make it obvious.

I was satisfied with Avernum, but between playing Avernum 2 and 3, I played Fallout and some of the better Blades scenarios. It was never the same.

Easy customisation? You ever tried to use Blades. Horribly clunky tool. Those who have designed playable scenarios with it have much kudos.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
Baldur's Gate isn't really 3D anyway. While I don't see why a 3D game couldn't be turn-based, there are other problems. Foremost among those is Jeff. He makes the games by himself, for the most part. Paying for 3D graphics would not only make the games more expensive, but it would take more of them out of Jeff's hands. I'd guess that he wouldn't like that.

—Alorael, who is also a terrible navigator in 3D games. If north isn't up, he's lost. He gets enough of that in the real world without spending time wandering aimlessly to have fun.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Triad Mage Banned Veteran
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #6
Jeff is filled with all kinds of hubris. He abandoned BoE and got insulted when others offered to fix the glaring logistic errors he refused to. Then he got pissed off when scenario designers suggested improvements to his plans for BoA, going so far as to suggest that designers didn't count as customers. This was only helped by ignorant gits who had never so much as looked at BoE sideways swearing up and down that it wasn't possible to outdo Jeff's games and scenarios and there was no point even trying. "Does the player really want to play through 100 of your towns?", Jeff Vogel asked. Suggestion, Mr. Vogel? PLAY A COUPLE OF FREAKING SCENARIOS BEFORE YOU ADVISE US AS TO HOW THEY OUGHT TO BE MADE

All that considered, I'm sure Jeff is just going to jump on the chance to make a game with a 3d engine.

--------------------
desperance -- je me souviens
arena -- et je me souviens de vous
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 147
Profile #7
Don't be daft, Alorael. As anybody who bothered to play Avernum beyond the opening screen before hitting Alf+F4 or the Mac equivalent, they'd notice that north isn't up. It's an isometric view.
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #8
Final Fantasy 10 had turn based combat.
I don't see what Jeff being arrogant when it comes to BoE/A has to do with him making 3D games.
Besides, if he did try to make a 3D game, the graphics would most probably be abysmal, which would kind of defeat the point, and gameplay would probably be neglected.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally posted by Rantallion:
Don't be daft, Alorael. As anybody who bothered to play Avernum beyond the opening screen before hitting Alf+F4 or the Mac equivalent, they'd notice that north isn't up. It's an isometric view.
But in this Alorael was able to solve the problem by titling his head slightly, so it doesn't count.

--------------------
Need a pet? Need cheap labor? Buy a Moose!

Take the Personality Test! INTJ 78% 33% 44% 22%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
RPG for the sake of graphics and RPG for the sake of plot and game-play are too different things.

Games with good 3D graphics usually neglect the storyline, while games without good - or any - graphics concentrate more on plot and storyline.

An Example is: ADOM (Ancient Domains of Mystery), where you basically get ASCII-Code graphics, like:
########
#.^T...#
#._O.D.#
#*..@..+
#/######
(If you don't understand the image, you definitely missed something) :P
The graphics are horrible, gameplay is cool, if a bit clumsy.

--------------------
---
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Warrior
Member # 2893
Profile #11
At the risk of starting a war..... I like the games the way they are. The depth of gameplay is what makes the game fun, not fancy graphics. Also, these games play very well on my low end laptop so I can play when I want to with ease.

Of course, this is coming from a long time player of Moria, Angband, and the like where an @ kills all kinds of other letters.

Gameplay is most important!!!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
I completely agree with you. Fancy graphics are just made to get the price up and to distract from badly designed gameplay. ;)

--------------------
---
---
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
I can handle north being any direction as long as it has the decency to pick one direction and stick with it.

—Alorael, who would agree that bad 2D graphics are fine and bad 3D graphics are terrible. Although 3D ASCII graphics do have intriguing possibilities...
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #14
3D ASCII? :eek: :eek: :eek:

*screams*

That sounds like a nightmare!!

Assuming you mean 3d pictures done with ascii. Making a 3d game that has 3d ascii symbols resembling monsters sound fun though. :D

--------------------
---
---
Warrior
Member # 2893
Profile #15
3D ASCII!!! Yes! Bring it on!
IMAGE(http://www.adom.de/adom/gallery/adom.jpg)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #16
Funny. Thats EXACTLY the picture I was thinking of when I posted!!! :D :D :D

--------------------
---
---
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #17
Ahh, ADOM, one of the most annoying games I've ever played.

But someday I will beat it with an elven wizard, dammit. Pity about all the dead ones being left behind. Oh well.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Warrior
Member # 2893
Profile #18
There's always @ out "puttin' on the ritz" right here!

Yes, ADOM is annoying but I keep trying. The field is littered with many fallen adventurers, many in the VD in fact! Of course many have been slain on their way to the balrog in Moria, on their way to Morgoth in various *bands, and Rodney has slain his share in Nethack. Yet we must persevere, be strong, have our "finest hour"...live up to the YASD we are destined to bear!!!! Dungeon Delvers Local 302.

John

[ Wednesday, June 11, 2003 16:20: Message edited by: Felwynne ]
Triad Mage Banned Veteran
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #19
Ya know, that could also be a reference to Angband.
No, wait. It couldn't -- D is demon, right? And demons don't tend to breathe fire...

--------------------
desperance -- je me souviens
arena -- et je me souviens de vous
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #20
Alec? D is an ancient dragon. :P
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #21
but there's a lot of mythological creatures whose names start with D. i just can't think of any now.

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Apprentice
Member # 3094
Profile Homepage #22
wow... interesting what this little message started.. lol..

oh the useless info I now have... kidding of course..

I posted that because I have pestered Jeff about doing a 3D on more than one occasion over the years..

I myself am a programmer... and would love to do a game with Jeff.. I am currently working on my own 3D game at the moment..

Arancayter, there are 3D turn based games out there... ahem..........Quest 64... one example right there...

alright a poor example (even though I like that game).

I was saying it would be cool if Jeff converted his games to 3D engine... 3D literally and figuratively adds a new demension to games... I just want my 3D avernum game..

I find it hard to get into Spiderwebs games anymore... the years have past and the games still look the same... personally if I had the time to work on 2 games at once I would put one aside and make some a little newer and up to date.. cause despite how people on this board perceive things up-to-date usually means a better chance of making a sale... but it's late and I am talking nonsense yet ..

peace.. I'm out.

again.

--------------------
My game will be out soon!...... no really it will!
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #23
quote:
Originally posted by Jigga:
Final Fantasy 10 had turn based combat.
I don't see what Jeff being arrogant when it comes to BoE/A has to do with him making 3D games.
Besides, if he did try to make a 3D game, the graphics would most probably be abysmal, which would kind of defeat the point, and gameplay would probably be neglected.

And I would like to call to your attention that FF10 sucked beyond mortal comprehension.
And, yes, I am an ASCII fan.

And for 3d ASCII, the shots from The Matrix in which they show Neo's view of the matrix code are pretty good.

--------------------

~ §øСüm
©ÿªñ¡Ðë ~
Mission Ridge -- All Your Snow Are Belong to Us.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #24
VWM, I don't care how many beings start with D. A D is an ancient dragon, and a d is a baby to mature dragon. After all my deaths, I ought to know.

And I have led my Vanilla Angband @ to victory over the great purple P. I cheated death like I was supposed to be able to reload, but I did it.

—Alorael, who finds the Matrix code interesting in that it isn't ASCII. It isn't binary, either. It isn't anything, since it apparently consists of strange, vaguely asian characters that mean absolutely nothing. Either coding advanced greatly, or Neo just hallucinates and gets lucky.

Pages