3D spiderweb games...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: 3D spiderweb games...
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
The glyphs on the computer screens, with the exception of the call traces, consists of reversed letters, numbers, and Japanese katakana characters.
IMDb is your friend.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
Originally posted by Felwynne:
Yes, ADOM is annoying but I keep trying. The field is littered with many fallen adventurers, many in the VD in fact! Of course many have been slain on their way to the balrog in Moria, on their way to Morgoth in various *bands, and Rodney has slain his share in Nethack. Yet we must persevere, be strong, have our "finest hour"...live up to the YASD we are destined to bear!!!! Dungeon Delvers Local 302.

John

Dying in the VD isn't that annoying. They've barely started. Dying in the BDC is much worse :P
I'll have to try Moria and a *band sometime, I've never got round to it.
Rodney has killed you? By that point in the game, I'm normally able to crush such pathetic wizards without even thinking about it.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #27
If having a moving north worries you that much, Alorael, get one of those swivel chairs. You may occasionally have to face away from the screen but with the help of mirrors all difficulties can be overcome.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Warrior
Member # 2893
Profile #28
quote:
Dying in the VD isn't that annoying. They've barely started. Dying in the BDC is much worse
I'll have to try Moria and a *band sometime, I've never got round to it.
Rodney has killed you? By that point in the game, I'm normally able to crush such pathetic wizards without even thinking about it.

As for Rodney....well that is why they have YASD :)

You should try a *band. There are some really good ones out there. If you do, definitely give ToME (Tales/Troubles of Middle Earth)a try. There are lots of character/class choices and the game is a blast; written very well and with a devious sense of humor in places. There is even an anime variant out now called, oh so creatively, Animeband. Also fun are Zangband and Hengband.

Hmmm, dying in the VD: Yes, not too annoying as it is early in the game but sometimes it just ticks you off. I played last night, went into the VD and started to open the first door out of the first room when "You feel a certain tension" message arrived. The room was filled with goblins! Evil, just evil. I went up 3 levels in no time though... :)

Moria is still a good choice too. There is a very nice build available that adds color and makes a few other tweaks to help with playability.

And Alorael is right! D = ancient dragon and d = baby dragon.

John
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #29
d is for canines. Jackals, wild dogs, and stuff.
& is for demons. Don't ask me why.
D stands for all kinds of Dragons.
(At least in ADOM)

[ Thursday, June 12, 2003 04:24: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #30
Nothing like the fun of playing one roguelike for a while, then switching to another where the letters mean different things. I've died multiple times because of that.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #31
"cute doggy..." - "ROOOAARR" :D :D

How about the key combinations?

(q)uaff makes you drink potions in Angband, while (q)uest brings up your quest list in ADOM. I imagine there must be worse - for example 'commit suicide' switched with 'scratch nose' :D , but I remember that one specifically because my first Angband death was caused by drinking a salt water potion, vomiting and then starving. Whereas my first ADOM death ws caused by drinking a potion of acid or something, vomiting, and starving. ;)

I haven't played Angband much, but I think the best thing about ADOM is the many ways you can die. For example, breaking your leg when repeatedly kicking empty air. Or doing yourself in with a rebounding energy bolt in a narrow space. Or being dissolved by an acid spitting slug. Or skewered by a moloch. Or fried by a booby-trapped door. Or sacrificed by an invisible stalker. Or... it's endless :D .

[ Thursday, June 12, 2003 06:19: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
---
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Warrior
Member # 2893
Profile #32
quote:
d is for canines. Jackals, wild dogs, and stuff.
& is for demons. Don't ask me why.
D stands for all kinds of Dragons.
(At least in ADOM)

Right for ADOM but not Moria and *bands. They use C for canines and the d,D for dragons. ADOM is a bit different in other ways too as it uses a different keyset rather than the traditional roguelike (Moria, Angband, and other *bands). And Nethack is different too. Once you get used to it it is easy to tell what is what.

Even though a lot of *bands now have some form of graphics, I never use them. ASCII is the best for these games.

John
Apprentice
Member # 3110
Profile #33
"Final Fantasy 10 had turn based combat."

Oh, and it's sooooo seemless, isn't it?

If I remember correctly one character model, representing your entire party, runs around on a field. When an (almost always invisible) enemy is encountered, the screen turns black, and you're brought to a new screen, with three of your chosen party members standing, feet anchored to the ground in one of a few dozen "one size fits all" environments -- scenes modeled to have the general look of whatever area you're currently running around in.

You then "participate" in these encounters by selecting commands such as "attack" or "magic" via a menu. After making a seletion, you sit back and enjoy the mini-movie. How ideal!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #34
There are probably some games that are more interesting than that. Even Harry Potter, where you just run around clicking at things to shoot pre-chosen spells and never run out of Spellpoints.

BTW: I seem to recall one strange trilogy of games with poor graphics, where the party is also represented by a picture of the lead character. Now what WAS the name of that game? ;)

--------------------
---
---
Babelicious
Member # 3092
Profile #35
Wait. Why would you want Exile with worse graphics? Isn't Avernum already bad enough?

--------------------
(( take my hand and join us ))
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #36
I've never played Angband or ADOM- can you download them anywhere?

I wonder what Exile would be like with ASCII graphics... Maybe someone could make custom graphics which make the party a giant 28*36 @... or a four by four D for dragons...

--------------------
~ørangutan

I want high-bit characters in my displayed name!!! :( :( :( (Or at least an exclamtion point!)

Eat pie!
BADGER!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #37
ADOM: http://adom.de
Angband: http://www.thangorodrim.net
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #38
I thought about doing something in BoE with ascii graphics, but the part of my brain responsible for saying "Noooooo!" did its job.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:

My Website
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #39
Might be a good idea, though, why not? Change terrain graphics to #, ., and ^ for walls, floor, and mountain, make a red D represent Drake Lord, g for goblin. With ascii custom graphics you could make SUCH a cool game!!! :cool:

Just kidding :P .

--------------------
---
---
Warrior
Member # 2893
Profile #40
quote:
I've never played Angband or ADOM- can you download them anywhere?

Get ToME (Troubles/Tales of Middle Earth) athe the Thangorodrim site mentioned in an earlier post. It has awesome choice of character races/classes, many quests, and is a blast to play. It is an Angband variant but is one of the most popular of the variants. It can be played in ASCII or with graphics (elementary graphics, ascii is better IMHO). It is available for windows, mac, linux, dos, and others. You can get ToME directly from the ToME site in the downloads section. There is even a dedicated forum on the same site for help and advice. And if you are new to roguelike games ToME even has in game textual helps (you can turn them off if you want) to help you get started. Well worth the download!

John

Pages