"Georgians Plan Whites-Only Prom Party"

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: "Georgians Plan Whites-Only Prom Party"
SCORPIUS HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!!!
Member # 314
Profile Homepage #0
It's good to see that kids today are still taking part in the time-honoured tradition of segregation.

quote:
Georgians Plan Whites-Only Prom Party
Fri May 2, 3:51 AM ET

By ELLIOTT MINOR, Associated Press Writer

ALBANY, Ga. - Gerica McCrary said she cried when she heard about the decision to hold a separate white-only prom only a year after she helped bring black and white students together in her rural high school's first integrated prom.

Many white students at Taylor County High School said they plan to attend next week's mixed prom, but a small number of whites said they also wanted a private party.

Juniors are charged with planning the prom each year and last year they decided to have just one dance — the first integrated prom in 31 years in the rural Georgia county 150 miles south of Atlanta.

Until then, parents and students organized separate proms for whites and blacks after school officials stopped sponsoring dances, in part because they wanted to avoid problems arising from interracial dating.

After school integration, separate proms were common in the rural South. Taylor County was among the last to cling to the practice.

Erin Posey, a white senior, said the entire junior class joined together in hosting last year's prom, but this year's junior class wasn't as unified.

"I think a lot of seniors were disappointed," she said. "Now we have to choose between two groups of friends."

The school has 439 students, 232 of them black. McCrary, who is black, and a white friend passed out fliers informing students of all races that they would be welcome at the May 9 prom at nearby Fort Valley State University. The private prom is Friday night 50 miles away in Columbus.

"I would have liked to see it together this year," said Gerard Latimore, a black junior class president who helped organize this year's integrated prom night. "My class would have, too. It just didn't happen this year."

Gerard's mother, Glenda Latimore, a 1972 graduate, attended a segregated prom. She said relatives in Philadelphia and New Jersey laugh when they read about Taylor County's prom.

"It seems like it's something secret," she said. "The white people are afraid to speak up against the separation.

"But I went to a black prom and I had fun," she added. "It didn't kill me, so I tell my son, 'Just go to the prom and have fun. Don't come out hating anyone.'"
Here's the URL: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030502/ap_on_re_us/separate_proms_4

And here's the banana: IMAGE(http://crowbarmarkpics.homestead.com/files/banana.gif)

[ Friday, May 02, 2003 09:23: Message edited by: Vladimir Scorpius ]

--------------------
CLICK HERE IF YOU LOVE JESUS

ADoS is like a magical punching bag that swings into your fist even when you're not trying to hit it. -Djur
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #1
Er - what "problems of interracial dating"? Sounds like some people need access to a bigger gene pool to me (see a particularly disturbing account in 'Lost White Tribes' about the rednecks of the Caribbean, who apparently preferred incest to 'breeding out'!)
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #2
Where did America get such racist pigs?

We have similar sections of society, most of them part of the British National Party, though it seems souther America is far, far worse then anything we have over here. It's nice that portions of America are still bringing racism and intolerance to new levels.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #3
Well, if whites get to meet blacks in a social situation, they might end up thinking that black people are not subhuman, and that's just one step away from them being a crazy liberals and secret communists until they die from smoking hash and getting AIDS.

Note to the less intelligent people here: I did not mean the above paragraph.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #4
In answer to your question, Morgan, White people owned Black people a lot more recently in the American south than in UK. I think the Russians abolished serfdom before the US abolished slavery, in fact. There were only a fer years in it, anyway.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
And after all, it has only been thirty-some odd years since the schools were integrated, and the South has its bigoted reputation to uphold.

At least most of America is past that. It's only in the extremely remote backwaters that still resist new inventions like fire that racism is present on that kind of scale (by percent). There are bigots everywhere, but at least they are a minority almost everywhere else.

—Alorael, who has been in some of those very small, rural Southern areas. They're actually quite frightening, especially when you are mistaken for another devoted Christian when, in fact, you are nothing of the kind.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Member # 314
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally posted by Alorael:
At least most of America is past that. It's only in the extremely remote backwaters that still resist new inventions like fire that racism is present on that kind of scale (by percent). There are bigots everywhere, but at least they are a minority almost everywhere else.
Actually, pretty much all of America is still racist. White people in the north still make substantially more than their black counterparts.

And ask any northerner if they'd be afraid passing a group of black teenagers on a street at night.

No, Alorael. When it comes to prejudice, the United States has only changed superficially since the 1950s.

--------------------

ADoS is like a magical punching bag that swings into your fist even when you're not trying to hit it. -Djur
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
That's true. But America on the whole is no longer consciously, intentionally racist. Now it's a much harder problem to deal with because most people aren't even willing to admit it is a problem.

—Alorael, who also doesn't think the skewed earnings are entirely due to racism. Much of that problem is from socioeconomic leftovers from slavery and segregation. When you start out on the bottom and everyone is against you, it's hard to get back to the top. Racism is undoubtedly still playing a role, but it isn't the only cause.

[ Friday, May 02, 2003 10:08: Message edited by: Alorael ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 216
Profile Homepage #8
Alorael- If they were so backwater and unknown then they would not have made an article in a major media provider.

America on the whole? Most of America is a little bit racist, while a great portion of the south is strongly racist. Old habits die hard.

[ Friday, May 02, 2003 10:17: Message edited by: Feran ]

--------------------
Song of the Pack -- An Online Multiplayer Wolf RPG!~
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #9
Feran, they are backwater and unknown. That doesn't mean a major paper can't report on the subject. It's an interesting story, so they decided to put it to press.

And Scorp, I'm a northerner, and I don't much care about passing a group of black teenagers at night, as long as they aren't carrying knives or pointing at me. Just like I wouldn't be scared of a bunch of white teenagers unless they were carrying knives or pointing at me.

I do agree with Feran, that old habits die hard. It sadly will be quite a while before racism is really ended, anywhere in the world.

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Member # 314
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Motrax of Exile:
Feran, they are backwater and unknown. That doesn't mean a major paper can't report on the subject. It's an interesting story, so they decided to put it to press.
They aren't backwater and unknown. It's an hour's drive from Atlanta. Maybe you should look at a map before decreeing your fellow countrymen, people you haven't even met, as hicks.

Don't forget that you have people like Trent Lott sitting in Washington D.C., shooting their mouths off like Klansmen. Is the Senate backwater and unknown?

quote:
And Scorp, I'm a northerner, and I don't much care about passing a group of black teenagers at night, as long as they aren't carrying knives or pointing at me. Just like I wouldn't be scared of a bunch of white teenagers unless they were carrying knives or pointing at me.
Have you seen the United States army lately? Or corporate offices? Qualified black people are less likely to be promoted. Period.

quote:
I do agree with Feran, that old habits die hard. It sadly will be quite a while before racism is really ended, anywhere in the world.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. We're not talking about ending racism. I think most people would just be satisfied to get it below the levels of 1940s Germany.

--------------------

(TGM)
Veteran*
Member # 2286
Profile #11
In case you speak of Hitler's hatred towards jews, it's never been that bad after, and I'm not sure if before that.

--------------------
Meet the savior. KYMCO Super Fever will force you to do so. Haw.
Member # 314
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally posted by The Rasmus:
In case you speak of Hitler's hatred towards jews, it's never been that bad after, and I'm not sure if before that.
I speak of the disinterest and sweep-it-under-the-rug attitude of Germans during that time.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #13
Scorp, an hour's drive away from Atlanta isn't just country, it's COUNTRY. Albany is near the Florida border, another state renowned for its progressive social standards.
Racism is nothing new. You Canadians have it, Europeans have (those damn asylum seekers/immigrants/etc.), every freaking continent has it. Group mentality. Point at those different than you, treat them different, etc., to make yourself feel better.
BUT! Look at the response here. People know about it, talk about it, etc, realize it's a problem. So all is not lost yet. When you take your rightful place in your white corporate haven of choice after you graduate, you can pressure management to be more evenhanded.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #14
It really depends on your background. If you grew up in a white neighbourhood and then moved to the inner city, you're going to have tension. There are plenty of mixed gangs (and couples) that I've seen. It's more of a background thing than anything.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Member # 314
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally posted by RentBoy:
Scorp, an hour's drive away from Atlanta isn't just country, it's COUNTRY. Albany is near the Florida border, another state renowned for its progressive social standards.
I didn't realize that living in the country was a Licence To Hate. Anyway, as I said, racism has nothing to do with being from a rural area or the southern USA. The Rodney King case demonstrated that. As did so many other similar ones.

quote:
Racism is nothing new. You Canadians have it, Europeans have (those damn asylum seekers/immigrants/etc.), every freaking continent has it.
Some more than others, unfortunately. (And that's the point, by the way.)

quote:
BUT! Look at the response here. People know about it, talk about it, etc, realize it's a problem. So all is not lost yet.
Response? Take a look at the messages that readers posted at Yahoo after reading the article:

"No white man ever kidnapped a black. The blacks were captured by rival tribes and sold to slave traders. You obviously are a typical woman with no clue other than what's on sale at JC Penny's."

"but theym black wimuns sho is fun fo this white boy ta stick his hard wood into...they curly hair is tough and wirey as a brillo pad, but they black bubble buttt and feet in dey air sho makes me blow my wad"

"Hey, don't knock the Germans. It took half the world to beat them in the 40's. Everyone in Europe is still scared half sh!tless of them. If they weren't lead by such pansy ultra liberal scum, they'd have kicked Iraq's a$$. Leave the Germans out of this."

Or how about the briefly titled thread, "blacks are to blame for slavery"? I mean...MY GOD...the ENTIRE discussion forum was filled with this crap. In short, the "hope" you speak of is non-existant, RentBoy. America is screwed up the ass.

quote:
When you take your rightful place in your white corporate haven of choice after you graduate, you can pressure management to be more evenhanded.
The majority of my office is non-white, so I won't be worrying about that anytime soon. (Welcome to Toronto.)

--------------------

Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #16
This is so dumb... if I were down in that area, I would do my best to get everyone to attend the normal prom, black or white, so there would be like 3 people at the white-only prom, preferably all of the same sex, and having been ditched by their dates for even thinking about attending the whites- only prom. Anyway, up here, there are almost no racists, and even those are mostly ignored, except for when they get beat up. True, I do get scared when a group of angry-looking ghetto black kids walk in my general direction, even if they're not looking at me or even thinking of me. But then, I get just as scared when the same group comes towards me, looking the same way, but with a different shade of skin. I have some very good black friends, and most of them are in the ghetto, s it's not just that I'm afraid of the ghetto or something... anyway, those fools down there deserve to be ignored. Completely.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Triad Mage Banned Veteran
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #17
Racism is a funny thing because it's only visible in hindsight.
As a matter of fact, the majority of racism comes not of particular effort but of a matter of course. "It's always been that way", and so on.
That's what many people don't understand about the Nazi era and more pronounced racism in earlier days. It's not the loud, highly opinionated few, but the quiet, deeply prejudiced masses that define racism.

--------------------
desperance -- je me souviens
arena -- et je me souviens de vous
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #18
But ya know what's really funny about racism... The KKK capitol of the world is in Pennsylvania. Everyone always thought it was in the South. But it makes sense when you think about it. Ever wonder why there aren't many blacks in Pennsylvania?

Cause Pennsylvania is full of white power fanatics.

But here's the true definition of KKK white power... Being able to get off the couch and go to the fridge to get a beer for you and your sister/wife/mother, while blaiming the blacks for your life sucking.

Now there are some white dudes out there who will call me a racist for saying that. Unto them I say, I'm a white guy, you friggin idiot.

Also racism in the South for the most part was brought upon Southers by the Northerners. The North hoped to divide the South and use the blacks against the whites during reconstruction. And let me tell you something about that: It worked. And I'm pissed at the South for letting the North win 2 times in a row.

Sidenote: I'd also like to despell a common misconception about the South. It's not the land of the inbreeders, nor has it ever been... Well, unless you count 2nd and 3rd cousins. But anyway. That little award goes to the Mid-West farm belt area, which also seems to be very white.

Btw, just in case I didn't mention it, racism isn't limited to just white people. Racists come in every color.

[ Friday, May 02, 2003 17:18: Message edited by: Lone Flame ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally posted by iDavid:
anyway, those fools down there deserve to be ignored. Completely.
No, that's the wrong attitude. If there's racism there, there's racism elsewhere. And it is a problem that needs to be adressed. Shoving the matter into a corner solves nothing.

—Alorael, who believes that as long as racial pride and racial acknowledgement in general exist, racism will exist with them. The only time race can truly not matter is when nobody is any more aware of it than of eye color. That will never happen, though, so in the meantime it is necessary to deal with racism, often with race-conscious methods.
Apprentice
Member # 2944
Profile #20
It's ignorant to think that racism is only, or primarily, a Southern issue. I went to college in North Carolina and live in New York City now. Race relations in New York are much worse. It's not even close in my experience. The level of racial hostility and general ethic Balkanization in New York is out of control.
Babelicious
Member # 39
Profile Homepage #21
As a person pigeonholed as "queer," I understand what it's like to be looked down upon by society. I don't get the full brunt of it like outed homosexuals do, but I see just enough to understand what it's like.

Right now, I'd say the cultural bias against g/l/b/t individuals is greater than that against any racial or ethnic minority, even Arabs; that isn't to say that, in general, many racial and ethnic minorities have suffered much more from institutionalized discrimination than any other sort of minority.

I agree with Jeronimus; it's not just the Deep South. Just because there are some rich black CEOs in New York doesn't give the entire North and Southwest a pass on racism. Racism is alive and well in the United States (and elsewhere; must I bring up Pim Fortuyn?), and it goes in all directions.

--------------------
desperance.net - honestly, no biting.
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #22
I know a lot of people who dismiss racism as a thing of the past. As much as there really needs to be more support and acceptance of GLBT people, people have to realize that there's still a lot of work to be done against racism as well. Statistics show that the majority of hate crimes are racially motivated, followed in reasonably close second by crimes committed against gay, lesbian and transgender people.

The problem is that racism is a really, really touchy subject, and that makes it difficult for people to talk about it--and it's only when people talk about it that any progress is made towards ending it. As with any discrimination, I think discussion and education are the keys to solving the problem. It may just be my Quaker philosophy speaking, but it seems to be working at my school.

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #23
Racism in the South isn't that different than anywhere else, it's just more overt and crude. Let's remember that state-sponsored discrimination only ended forty years ago.
These things take time, and will never entirely go away.
And Scorp, if memory serves, you work at a Government Ministry, which has equal opportunity employment laws and racial quotas to meet. Wait till you get to the private sector; an entirely different game with entirely different rules.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #24
Scorp, being able to point to a place on the map doesn't make it more or less backwater.

And just for interest, here's a link to that school's demographics:

http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/browse_school/ga/2557

quote:
It's an hour's drive from Atlanta
Driving 150 miles in one hour would get you one hell of a speeding ticket, aside from the high chance of getting into some catastrophic accident. And I doubt you could have pointed to Butler, Georgia on a map before this article was published.

Your quotes from the yahoo forums are exactly what we've been saying all along - racism isn't nearly finished.

quote:
America is screwed up the ass.

Scorp, will you ever let go of this rhetoric, or will it follow you to the grave?

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00

Pages