"Georgians Plan Whites-Only Prom Party"

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: "Georgians Plan Whites-Only Prom Party"
SCORPIUS HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!!!
Member # 314
Profile Homepage #25
Once again, SMoE, living in a small town doesn't justify racism. I live 1 1/2 hours from the nearest large city, but I don't chain black people to the back of my pickup and drag them around until they're dead.

Face it, SMoE. Of all the "civilized" countries, yours has the highest level of racism. By far. No one here will dispute that.

--------------------
CLICK HERE IF YOU LOVE JESUS

ADoS is like a magical punching bag that swings into your fist even when you're not trying to hit it. -Djur
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 147
Profile #26
quote:
Originally posted by M. Boeh:
Racism is alive and well (must I bring up Pim Fortuyn?)
OK, so it's not exactly what Djur wrote, but it made me laugh.

The area I live in is effectively a white enclave. Not deliberately, but merely because most of the Asian immigrants went to the mill towns of the north of England. I can't say I've ever really known any black people well, although I'm friends with a number of Indians. I've never seen racism, but when the owner of the local Chinese takeaway moved across town, he soon moved back due to the appalling racist abuse prevalent there.

Racism isn't just due to the amount of people of race X in an area. It's simply because race X is different from room Y and if there's one thing that unites all morons everywhere, it's neophobia.
Triad Mage Banned Veteran
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #27
Actually, Scorp, I'd put that title on Japan. They're vicious xenophobes there, much more so than we are.

--------------------
desperance -- je me souviens
arena -- et je me souviens de vous
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #28
EDIT: I spent a while typing this, so I thought I was posting right after Scorp.

quote:
Face it, SMoE. Of all the "civilized" countries, yours has the highest level of racism. By far. No one here will dispute that.
I'm glad America has risen from "...screwed up the ass" status to "'civilized'." I would dispute you, Scorp, if I count as "someone here." The anti semetism in Europe is rather rampant and not at all acknowledged. Perhaps since the news services don't report on that so much, you don't hear about it, but I think you should "face" the fact that there is hatred everywhere, and quite a lot of it, not just in America.

[ Saturday, May 03, 2003 14:03: Message edited by: Sir Motrax of Exile ]

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #29
Anti-semitism is not anywhere near as pronounced as color-racism in America.

--------------------
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #30
Or other race-racism in Japan, Alec? My teacher told me that a lot of Japan is racist, but I don't know much about that... please explain.

And Alorael, I meant just these people who are planning the thing. Ignore the prom. Show them that they don't even matter, and that everyone disagrees with them. I think that's a pretty good solution.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #31
Are there anti-black rallies and riots in the US?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Babelicious
Member # 39
Profile Homepage #32
Yes. Klansmen rallies all the time down south.

--------------------
desperance.net - honestly, no biting.
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #33
"Ignore it and hope it goes away" is how AIDS became an epedemic.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #34
Klansmen are not representative of even .5% of the population. There is more to fear in Europe.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Babelicious
Member # 39
Profile Homepage #35
I doubt that anti-Jew rallies in Europe are any more representative of the population than Klan rallies are here.

--------------------
desperance.net - honestly, no biting.
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #36
[um, never mind. reading comprehension problems]

[ Saturday, May 03, 2003 15:24: Message edited by: RentBoy ]

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #37
But Klansmen and other demonstrators are just the most visible and most vocal hate-groups. There are probably far more people who are just quietly racist. And even more than that there are probably people who wouldn't describe themselves as racist, but woudl say that they are uncomfortable around other races or religions.

—Alorael, who also thinks America's problems are more visible simply because America is the meltingpot. There are people of every race and religion in America. More homogeneous populations are less racist simply because there is less to fear or hate. That's neither an excuse nor the only reason, of course, but it is something to keep in mind before holding up other countries as examples of tolerance.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #38
The British National Party (fascists, for those who don't know), have gained 16 local council seats in Britain in the past two years, most of them very close to where I live. Of 20 000 seats, it may not seem like much, but it makes them the second largest party in the local city of Burnley.

Living in an area with a lot of Asians, I see racism day to day. It is mostly fueled by ignorance and hatred, but also by a degree of fear; the Asians have a tendancy to go around in, for lack of a better word, packs for protection. This causes white people to club together out of fear, and the cycle goes on.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #39
Yes, I've read about that. There have been a lot of anti-Asian problems in northern England, around Lancashire.

--------------------
====
====
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #40
I hope I don't bore you with my anti-racist musings. The point about Burnley, Oldham and suchlike BNP heartlands is that they're 'White flight' areas where people that didn't like multiculturalism in Manchester moved on to. The BNP would have trouble surviving in Manc, in any sense. Sort of amusing low house prices than led to a big Asian influx - but the BNP are still marginal, frankly, and their politics 'last generation' with everyone except a vastly dwindling football hooligan culture. They're mainly getting votes only because the Tories are in such disarray.

Lone Flame says the KKK HQ is in PA. Has he seen rural PA? Real hillbilly country - with a past tradition that only skin colour put them 'above' equally impoverished rural Blacks. But the Klan is absurdly factionalised and living on 1860s / 1920s 'glories'. There was a KKK HQ in Slidell, Louisiana, when I passed through there. Dime a dozen, really.

EDIT: I was struck by what M Boehm said about prejuduce on grounds of sexual orientation, certainly more ancient than racism (principally an earl-modern phenomenon, as now understood). There are no anti-hate laws limiting homophic expression on this as on race issues in UK, and I understand prejudice is so deep that it's impossible to even get international conventions against it.

[ Sunday, May 04, 2003 10:38: Message edited by: X ]
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #41
Yeah. A prejudice that extends to the level of making something that defines a lifestyle illegal is terrible.

Any takers on defending anti-sodomy laws?

[ Sunday, May 04, 2003 10:48: Message edited by: el presidente ]

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #42
Sorry to be so ignorant. Is homosexuality illegal in your country?

--------------------
Polaris
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #43
Technically, only in some states. Texas, namely. Sodomy is illegal there, even between two consenting adults--police will break into the home of a gay couple and arrest them. Texas sucks.

Pennsylvania is one of the few states that has added homosexuality-based hate crimes to our hate-crime protection bill. Apparently, equal rights for people of different races and religions are permissible, but if you're defending people who are attacked based on their sexual orientation, they're "special rights." :rolleyes:

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #44
You said 'technically'. Does that mean that a gay couple, living together, would not be accepted by their neighbourhood?

--------------------
Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 58
Profile #45
I think the technically part refers to whether or not a homosexual person performs sodomy (and in some states oral acts) or not. I don't think it's illegal to be gay, just to perform certain acts. It's similar to the attitudes of certain Christian churches.
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #46
In some states, it goes so far as to make heterosexual non-copulative intercourse [i.e. the sort of sex which would never produce children] illegal.

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #47
I don't know what to say. Though I'm a woman I feel hurt.

Edit: Yes, Alec, that would be a logical consequence. Though of far less importance than interdicting a couple who loves to touch each other.

[ Sunday, May 04, 2003 12:05: Message edited by: ef ]

--------------------
Polaris
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #48
Massachusetts still has an old puritan law on the books that makes sodomy illegal. It's currently being challenged in court (there wasn't an actual conviction...it's a long story).
There are statutes that make anti-gay actions a hate crime, but at the same time, certain lawmakers are trying to pass a law defining marriage as only the union between a man and a woman.
Just when you think you're someplace liberal...

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #49
What I don't get is why people think that same-sex marriage is "anti-family," or will "break apart the traditional family structure." It's not like gay couples, if allowed to be married, are going to break into the homes of heterosexual familes and demand that they divorce or something. I honestly can't see how same-sex marriages could possibly hurt anyone. Why can't everyone just live and let live?

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.

Pages