"Georgians Plan Whites-Only Prom Party"

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: "Georgians Plan Whites-Only Prom Party"
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #50
Touch is the socalled 'primary sensory awareness'. It is the first sensory awareness a babe has to experience to develop a 'feeling of identity'. Babes, who are not touched, die. Babes, who are not touched often enough, have difficulties later on to feel themselves. They grow into children who do not know how to draw a line, they cannot feel themselves and their own needs clearly. There are whole bunches of therapists working with such children, trying to help them.

Touch reaches more than the skin. If we can open to it, it touches us deeply.

--------------------
Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #51
For some reason, homosexuality is one of the most feared and despised ways of being different from "normal." Any excuse that can be thrown up against giving legal support to homosexuality will be thrown up, because there are people who will do anything to keep those sodomy laws on the books.

—Alorael, who would really like to know if anyone tries to enforce those laws. As far as he knows there has only been one recent trial for a crime against those laws, and arrest warrant was not for sodomy.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #52
There's two cases regarding homosexuality on the docket this session for the Supreme court:
Lawrence and Garner v. Texas and
Matthew R. Limon v. the State of Kansas.
Then there's Bowers v. Hardwick (1986), which upheld state sodomy laws.
http://www.supremecourtus.gov

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #53
ef, wth was that about?

Alec, please explain about the Japanese.

Oh yeah, and for the last time (hah!), I only think we should ignore this one incident. By ignore, I mean shun. Which is pretty much the same thing, for those of you who don't know. But all I'm saying is, we should ignore (shun) this whites-only prom so that NO ONE but those racists who started it goes, and everyone else goes to the normal one, pretending the white one doesn't exist. I don't know about you, but I know that if I planned something and everyone shunned it, I would rethink my opinions.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
SCORPIUS HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!!!
Member # 314
Profile Homepage #54
quote:
Originally posted by ef:
Touch is the socalled 'primary sensory awareness'. It is the first sensory awareness a babe has to experience to develop a 'feeling of identity'. Babes, who are not touched, die. Babes, who are not touched often enough, have difficulties later on to feel themselves. They grow into children who do not know how to draw a line, they cannot feel themselves and their own needs clearly. There are whole bunches of therapists working with such children, trying to help them.

Touch reaches more than the skin. If we can open to it, it touches us deeply.

ef? I want you to look at your keyboard. There's a cord coming out of it. Follow the cord to the back of your computer.

Now unplug it.

--------------------
CLICK HERE IF YOU LOVE JESUS

ADoS is like a magical punching bag that swings into your fist even when you're not trying to hit it. -Djur
Shock Trooper
Member # 1506
Profile #55
The last big thing about sodomy laws I heard was a bunch of fundies trying to get a would-be judge arrested so that she (a lesbian with a partner) could not be appointed.

A site I've always found useful for updates on GLBT issues is morons.org. (WARNING: This is a very socially liberal site. Some of you may not like it. That's not my fault. Unfortunately, sometimes it is so liberal some of the posters in the threads are quite anti-Christian, but the writers are certainly not. So I'm not responsible for anyone being offended. And of course it is quite biased against fundies and their ilk. Oh, and cute puppies and children who don't know all the dirty words shouldn't visit either.)

Also, as far as I know the Japanese are rather notorious for being anti-anyone who isn't Japanese. I hear it's near impossible making a living there if you don't at least look Asian, and if you are a Japanese-(insert country that's not Japan here) you might still have trouble. But I've only heard this from a friend or two who went there.

Sir David, I'm not sure "shun" and "ignore" have quite the same meaning, and neither of them seem to describe your idea. I think the proper word would be "boycott." I'm not sure they would rethink their opinions though. When a person is surrounded by people who believe differently than they, they usually become more defensive of their own beliefs, not more open. I think you may have experienced this yourself on these boards when you say something incendiary and no one agrees with you.

--------------------
desperance.net -- Come on in, we don't bite. Well, I don't.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #56
There may actually be at least one somewhat respectable reason for a government not to recognise same-sex marriages. Being legally married can entitle one to certain financial benefits, such as lower taxes; it could be argued that these benefits are intended to encourage people to marry and thus have children, who can go on to contribute to society. Gay couples (with the exception of a few lesbian couples who choose assisted reproduction) are unable to conceive children, and the government therefore has no reason to bribe gay people to get married.

There are, of course, plenty of objections that could be made to this argument, and it gives no reason for homosexual activity itself to be banned. Nonetheless, this is a point of view with at least some validity. In some ways, it might be most satisfactory for all concerned if the government stopped giving official recognition to marriages altogether.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #57
There's still adoption. And really, what is wrong with same-sex marriages? I have not heard one single coherent argument against them.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #58
One of my co-workers recently 'married' his same sex partner in a commitment ceremony. They've also recently put down the deposit on their home, taking out a mortgage to purchase it.

My co-worker tells me that they did consider adopting a child, but decided against it. One of their reasons for deciding not to adopt was that they considered the impact on a child of being raised in a family structure that society still frowns upon (and in the case of some individuals, actively hates). Would that be in the best interest of a child? They concluded that it wouldn't be, and decided against adoption. Which is a shame as I think my co-worker would be a great parent, better than a lot of straight people I know.

One of the issues they do face is of superannuation. My work based super fund will pay a pension to me when I retire, and when I die will pay a reduced pension to my partner (or would, if I had one). Partner is defined as a person of the opposite sex that you are either: (a) legally married to; or (b) currently in a de facto relationship with and have been de facto with that person for a certain period of time. The super fund doesn't currently allow for same sex relationships. It doesn't seem fair to me.

--------------------
We meet and part now over all the world;
we, the lost company,
take hands together in the night, forget
the night in our brief happiness, silently.
-- Judith Wright

My website
Posts: 512 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #59
For all that's been said, I sort of agree with Sir David. When they start developing extra fingers and webbed feet from inbreeding, they're hatrdly going to be poster boys for that exalted White Race of theirs anyway.

The main reason homosexuality has been the subject of prejudice is that it's non-procreative - hence no new little citizens to tax, spend and go join the Army. And it crosses usually strictly-defined lines between gender roles. There was particular fuss about a man being passive (receiving) in ancient Greek (and to lesser extent, Roman) society as this was seen as 'womanly' and women weren't typically prized in these very patriarchal societies. I guess tht's why they did't think to take turns eiher....

Anal (and in Scotland. once a Calvinist heartland) oral acts regardless of the gender of those concerned were technically banned in UK too up until the Sexual Offenses Act only a couple of years ago finally took Henry VIII's prejudices off the statute book. Never heard of any prosecutions for decades though, not least because homosexuality had been legalised back around 1964, along with laws concerning suicide and capital punishment being liberalised.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #60
Yeah... shun, ignore, boycott... well, I guess boycott is closest. But to me, shunning is a form of ignoring. Anyway, I say why not boycott? I don't think that would strengthen their beliefs...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #61
Sure it would. It's pretty easy to maintain your beliefs if you're convinced the world is conspiring against you to make sure you'll be ignored. After all, if everyone who disagrees with you is evil, it's easy to disregard their opinion.

[ Monday, May 05, 2003 17:13: Message edited by: Thuryl ]
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 147
Profile #62
The sex laws in Britain are a mess. Up until around 1830, I'm led to believe that non-vaginal sex, whether heterosexual or homosexual, was a death penalty crime.

They're reforming them now, however, and aside from a few issues which might unintentionally criminalise naturists, it should make a coherent set of laws.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #63
Uh, Thuryl, so does arguing against it. The only thing we can do is make them live with it.

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Pages