The meaning of life.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The meaning of life.
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #0
Here it is:
The most consistently asked question from the ask me anything forum:
What is the meaning of life? 42.
answer choice 42: immortality.
the hitchiker's guide to the Galaxy has some very interesting things to say about immortality. involving a rubber band.

(yes I am responsible for this topic on desp. I forgot my password there, though.)

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #13 Stand clear the closing door.

That's treason.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP productions co, inc)
Lifecrafter
Member # 521
Profile Homepage #1
IMAGE(http://starterupsteve.servepics.com:60000/funny2/congratscares.jpg)

--------------------
I am not really here.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #2
The answer doesn't do us much good since we still don't have the question. Obviously nine multiplied by six does not give forty-two as the answer.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #3
Amen to that, Ikari.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
SCORPIUS HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!!!
Member # 314
Profile Homepage #4
That whole "42" thing is so overused. It's almost as bad as that Stalin (mis)quotation that everyone sticks in their sig.

--------------------
CLICK HERE IF YOU LOVE JESUS

ADoS is like a magical punching bag that swings into your fist even when you're not trying to hit it. -Djur
Triad Mage Banned Veteran
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #5
It's not exactly a misquotation, you fool.

--------------------
desperance -- je me souviens
arena -- et je me souviens de vous
SCORPIUS HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!!!
Member # 314
Profile Homepage #6
Although you can give and take a little when translating from Russian to English, I've seen some way off ones.

Also, you suck, Alec.

IMAGE(http://www.comedyfactory.com/petsimages/trev22.jpg)

[ Friday, April 11, 2003 15:10: Message edited by: Vladimir Scorpius ]

--------------------
CLICK HERE IF YOU LOVE JESUS

ADoS is like a magical punching bag that swings into your fist even when you're not trying to hit it. -Djur
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #7
I prefer how the Python boys asked the question. :D I can't see this topic surviving much longer unlocked though, regardless.

BTW, before the Enlightenment, people didn't bother asking about the meaning of life. For all its faults (and I am not a fan), the Church gave them one.

EDIT: To preclude any misunderstanding, when I wrote immediately above that "the Church gave them one", I meant a meaning of life, not any breach of clerical vows of celibacy at the expense of an unreasonably compliant Medieval peasantry (though there was that too).

[ Friday, April 11, 2003 15:19: Message edited by: X ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 521
Profile Homepage #8
The celibacy didn't start until the late middle ages.
Medieval or Dark ages is religious bigotry.

--------------------
I am not really here.
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #9
Nononono. Celibacy in monks started with the rule of St. Benedict, early 800s, beginning of the middle ages. The council of Elvira (1260) imposed it on all clergy.
But whatever.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 521
Profile Homepage #10
Monks did not interact commonly, but rather vicars did, and 1266 is the last 4th of the middle ages from 600 ad to 14 ad.

--------------------
I am not really here.
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #11
quote:
Originally posted by Permutonominus Rex:

the hitchiker's guide to the Galaxy has some very interesting things to say about immortality. involving a rubber band.

I think immortality involved an accident with two rubber bands, a bottle of liquid insta-lunch, and a badly tuned ion thruster. Or something like that. All attempts to duplicate the process resulted in death, disfigurement, or both.

[ Friday, April 11, 2003 19:29: Message edited by: Captain Crunch ]

--------------------

~ §øСüm
©ÿªñ¡Ðë ~
Mission Ridge -- All Your Snow Are Belong to Us.
Apprentice
Member # 2865
Profile Homepage #12
I thought the meaning of "life" was:

the general condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism,a means of reproduction, and internal regulation in response to the environment

Beyond the sarcasm, the meaning of life is obviously to wonder what the meaning of life is. Or was it to find the meaning of life, and to wonder how knowing it changes anything?

In any case, Spider Dude doesn't know, doesn't care, doesn't wonder, and doesn't ask/tell...
except on the occasions when he does know/care/wonder/ask/tell.

--------------------
Don't fear the end. Fear the pain that will accompany you along the way.

SPIDER: Why would I use venom to knock my prey out? It's not like I plan to eat them. I just like to watch them suffer.

Spider Dude: Anybody know who Lupus Flame(Member 347)is?

Logging off...
You have now safely shut down the Internet.
Infiltrator
Member # 1817
Profile #13
The meaning of life according to a little 8 year old girl: Lollipops.

--------------------
Quote of the Day

"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a
white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, The Swiss hold the
America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance, and
Germany doesn't want to go to war."
Shock Trooper
Member # 764
Profile Homepage #14
My meaning of life is to travel the world going to all the strange unexplained scientific phemomenon places and to have s..e..x.

--------------------
"I come back to you now, of the turn of the tide"--Gandalf Greyhame in the two towers.
----------------------------
"i am Aragorn son of Arathorn son of Isildur, son of elendile. Ellasar, elfstone Heir to Gondor".-- Aragorn in the Lord of the rings
------------------------------------
"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. What you must decide is what to do with the time that is given"-- Gandalf greyhame The fellowship.
-------------------------------------
"Fools speak becuase they have to say something, and the wise speak becuase they have something to say"-Me!
------------------------------------------
"Ash nag gimbatu, ash nac francartulouk, ash nac aratook"- The ringwaraiths
(TGM)
Veteran*
Member # 2286
Profile #15
Goal of life.. Hmm.. Stay alive.

--------------------
Meet the savior. KYMCO Super Fever will force you to do so. Haw.
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #16
The meaning of life is shopping. Welcome to Capitalism.
The real question is "What is the meaning of intelligence?"
Life is easy, but why can we wonder about it?

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #17
Is a purpose in life the same thing as its meaning? Plenty of people can have goals, but do they mean anything viz a viz life in general, that of others beyond themselves?

BTW: I thought compulsory celibacy amongst the clergy was a Counter-Reformation thing. Amazed it was actually imposed so early.
Infiltrator
Member # 1886
Profile #18
"Life, is a series of dogs."
"...that's the whole point of life. Not dying! I figured that out on my own in the third grade."

Both of these quotes come from my favorite comedian, George Carlin.

Personally, I think the whole life thing is when the universe in general went, "Oops! Oh great, now its got parasites*"

*The parasites are, of course, all organisms on any body in space.

--------------------
"The hippogryph is an amazing creature rarely seen outside of the wild. The tricky thing about hippogryphs is their incredible jaw strength. One terrible clamp of their beaks could rip a huge beast apart in seconds. Let's see what happens when I stick my hand inside..."
*roaring, SNAP!
*rider screams
—Hippogryph rider, WC III

Some cool WoT art here

Nono! Bad Surfer!!

This is it, The Document That no Evil Overlord can do Without
Posts: 505 | Registered: Saturday, September 14 2002 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 216
Profile Homepage #19
Life has no meaning you ragoteurs. We spend our whole lives looking for meaning that's not there, and endless struggle for the happiness that can never be achieved, and one's only recourse is to be content with knowing that life has no meaning and live with it.

There are hundreds of different religions out there, and who's to say any one is right or not right? And how can any intellectual live with a religion when religions are based not on fact but on faith, you just have to "believe"

And then crazy fanatics twist their minds into believing that every good thing was an act of their god and they think it's real, and they're happy.

And that's the question. Is it better to be an ignorant happy fool, or is it better to know the truth?

--------------------
Song of the Pack -- An Online Multiplayer Wolf RPG!~
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #20
The search for meaning is a luxury of the upper classes. I doubt a typical Cambodian rice farmer worries much why he's here.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 347
Profile #21
quote:
Originally posted by Ikari Gendo:
The celibacy didn't start until the late middle ages.
Medieval or Dark ages is religious bigotry.

Ikari is right. The Church decided to force celibacy upon its priests because they were having to give too much land to priest's sons.

--------------------
"Take a chance and make friends with the reaper..."
"The reaper follows me wherever I go, for I've tied him to my ankle."
-DarkFyre the Pirate
Lifecrafter
Member # 521
Profile Homepage #22
Not land so much, but rather children of vicars were often the next priest for the town. They were the ones who could read and write and had some power in the community. The church had voluntary celibacy since the beginning, but the big thing was to prevent a hereditary priesthood that would do a disservice to the faithful and corrupt the chruch,

One thing I do wish to say. Stop the bashing of religion, Feran. We should not be discussing it here and the discussion will cause a major flame war. It is none of my buisness what your beliefs are, and none of yours to know mine. Further, bashing any religion is a major breach of the C of C, one that I feel should be enforce more often.

[ Sunday, April 13, 2003 12:22: Message edited by: Ikari Gendo ]

--------------------
I am not really here.
Shock Trooper
Member # 216
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally posted by PBR:
The search for meaning is a luxury of the upper classes. I doubt a typical Cambodian rice farmer worries much why he's here.
Ehh you apparently didn't get it. I was arguing that people search for meaning in a meaningless world. The Cambodian rice farmer's meaning (in his perception) may be to grow rice.

Rice that is eaten, that is gone, that feeds a few out of a million, rice grown out of the billions of grains all over the world -- is his rice special? No. Is his life special? No. Half the world doesn't even know he exists. But for him, he has a purpose, meaningless as it is.

--------------------
Song of the Pack -- An Online Multiplayer Wolf RPG!~
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #24
There is no "goal of life." Well, there is, but it's different for everyone, I think. The best one I've seen so far here is "to stay alive". Good job, whoeversaidthat.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.

Pages