The meaning of life.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The meaning of life.
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #50
I think the fact that we are the culmination of over ten thousand years of civilization clouds our judgement a bit. Our survival is pretty well taken care of, so we don't have to worry about scurvy and wolves every day. Reproduction is not a vital issue anymore, it's a choice. Your children are no longer necessary to ensure your security in old age.

Leisure and free time are a relatively recent invention (the weekend is only a litte more than a hundred years old), although people have always enjoyed merrimaking. Sure, it would be nice to leave a lasting mark behind, but who really can? Accountants, car mechanics, pizza shop workers?

We'll never know why or what.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #51
Everyone leaves a mark. It might be a small mark, like some hermit cutting down a tree, or a big one, like George Washington. But it's still a mark.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #52
People might not have had officially designated free time in the past, but they had scores of saints' days each year, including (hangover) St. Mondays, as E P Thompson is most celebrated for pointing out. They definitely had more free time in the real sense of the word, at least until industrial time was introduced. Is lolling around doing nothing meaningful though, or am I too hung up on this 'Protestant work ethic' thingy where only being productive in some way is?
Shock Trooper
Member # 2300
Profile #53
The 'weekend' originated for 'religious' reasons. Christians and Jews designate Saturday and Sunday as religious 'holidays' just like those saints' days X was referring to.

--------------------
Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally." - Soviet infantry manual, 1930's
Posts: 267 | Registered: Wednesday, November 27 2002 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #54
So now the only question is: Which of the millenium math problems is answered by 42?

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #13 Stand clear the closing door.

That's treason.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP productions co, inc)
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #55
quote:
Originally posted by ^^ilos:
The 'weekend' originated for 'religious' reasons. Christians and Jews designate Saturday and Sunday as religious 'holidays' just like those saints' days X was referring to.
By weekend I meant two consecutive days off. Up until the early 1900s, you were expected to work six days a week. Labor unions (the ones that Henry Ford hated so much) managed to push through the two-day weekend.
Also, in an agrarian society, work never stops. The cows still have to be milked on sunday, and the harvest has to be taken in whether it's Labor day or the Annunciation or whatever.
That's all I'm sayin'.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #56
Along with the increase in leisure time, we seem to have lost the ability to spend it in a leisurely way. How many people do you know who don't take weekends off? There may be vacations now, but they're often accompanied by Palm Pilots and portable computers. Yes, we relax more, but strangely many of the advances that should have resulted in less work have had the opposite effect.

—Alorael, who isn't sure if it's more fun to work on a holiday than it is to have no holiday at all. At least you know exactly why you're still out in the fields when you're not supposed to have the day off.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #57
What do you all think about those people who want to eliminate, or at least drastically shorten, summer vacation? I think that's crap, but hey.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #58
Definitely better to work on a hoiday - double-time and a leiu day thrown in where I am. There is something wrong with people who don't know what to do with themselves when not working though - they definitely need to give some thought to a better meaning of life. Maybe that's why scholl / college hols are so long (or maybe to work full-time and pay for their education then...)
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 147
Profile #59
In my opinion, the question is flawed. Meaning is utterly subjective.

If the universe occurred without a god, then no meaning is necessary. A thing is, but it doesn't have to have been created for a reason.

If it's a god, then there may be a reason, but with said god being all-powerful, omniscient and the like, the reasons are probably incomprehensible.

It's an over-simplistic answer, but then I've always hated philosophy of this kind. I tend to look for an obvious answer then go and do something that I feel is worthwhile. You can look for meaning or you can do something and perhaps find a meaning for you, even if you don't realise you have.
Lifecrafter
Member # 87
Profile Homepage #60
Well, the meaning of life is to live, basically, right, so as long a you are alive you should live, so the meaning of life is to live forever.

(isn't all reasoning, basically, circular)

--------------------
Tip of the Day: #13 Stand clear the closing door.

That's treason.
(THNIK)(Peculiar James, FP productions co, inc)
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #61
And, you should, use, less, commas.

Uhhh no one said anything about summer vacation yet... which is astounding, considering that usually 99% of General jumps on me after every post I make to contradict me...

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Warrior
Member # 2494
Profile Homepage #62
Yapiro Man thinks that that isn't true, iDavid (jks jks).

Yapiro Man believes that the meaning of life is subjective. It depends on what one thinks the word meaning is. As Rantallion said, it is definately flawed in some ways, it just depends on how one looks at it.

Yapiro Man believes in his religion to an extent. He believes that yes, there was a "creator" but has certain unanswered questions in the back of his mind such as: could the "creator" be just a regular life form from another planet? or could the "creator" not even have been a living life form?

--------------------
In a world of darkness, light is everywhere. You just have to look.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 147
Profile #63
Perfect example of subjectivity- Davey whining that 99% of General jumps on him to criticise every post he makes, the implication being that this criticism is unjustified.

Whereas an objective observer would most likely come to the conclusion that people tend to object to your posts when they believe that there is a logical fallacy in them and for the most part do it politely.

Sure, so I'm destroying my own argument by making this post. But I did have something worthwhile to say- If nobody wants to respond to a post of yours, that is your decision. And cloying self-pity does not change that.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #64
Uh... no. First of all, I wasn't really whining... if I cared that much, I would have left by now. Second of all, I'm sure it's not all unjustified, but it certainly happens more often than it should. Third, it pisses me off that people accuse me of being too unchanging, too unwilling to accept other views besides me own, when it seems to me that everyone else rejects my views, while clinging with death grips to their own. I have no problem with this, really, since everyone does it, but it seems that a lot of people haven't realized this yet. And how is it my decision that they aren't responding? I don't really care about that too much either, I was just pointing it out... I don't want sympathy posts or something...

And by the way, which argument of your own did you destroy?

And Yakiro Man, what do you think isn't true (jks jks)?

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 147
Profile #65
The one saying that you're exaggerating the amount of criticism you get.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #66
Oh. Good job.

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Pages