Macintosh Architecture Poll

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Macintosh Architecture Poll
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #0
As I like to create bits of software for this community, largely for use with BoA, I'm interested to know what types of Macintosh systems people around here use.

EDIT: Curse you UBB! I swear I said the first question was to use checkboxes! So, uh, kindly interpret the first question as "Which version do you use most frequently?"

Also naturally enough, as I'd like serious answers to these questions, could those of you who don't use Mac just refrain form messing with the poll please? You can always post in the thread if you have a burning desire to tell us what kind of Windoze box you use. ;)

[ Tuesday, May 06, 2008 18:58: Message edited by: Niemand ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 29 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=dBpLNpCojxxU"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=dBpLNpCojxxU"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
"Verbs for the weak!"
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Shouldn't the first question have used checkboxes instead of buttons?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
Probably. I have both an Intel running Leopard and a PowerPC with Tiger.

—Alorael, who also finds the incompatibilities irritating. And he's still waiting on a way to get decent virtualization of OS 9.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #3
I would like to point out that my edit above was more than a hour before Thuryl posted. He should read more. :P

As to incompatibilities, what has annoyed you say greatly, Alorael? I'll admit that the lack of Classic is an irritant, but aside from that I'm finding quite little to bother me while using a setup equivalent to yours.

--------------------
"Verbs for the weak!"
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
Incompatibilities is really the wrong word. I just miss a few Classic programs and have to suffer through the usual pains of computer migration.

—Alorael, who spent an inordinate length of time trying to remember or find the name of the file that allows command line conversion of .lit to HTML. Only afterwards did he remember that he could just use Microsoft Reader now, if he really wanted to.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #5
1) 10.4, because I haven't scrounged up the money (or motivation) to make the crossover to 10.5 yet. I also use an original iMac with OS9. It sucks, but it does run the old software.

2) My own MacBook is Intel based.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

ET reminds me of myself before I was taken into a small chatroom by TM, Alec, and various other members. They then proceeded to beat some sense into me...
-Lt. Sullust

My website: Nemesis' Refuge (Last Update: 3/16/08)
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
At the moment I'm using an Intel iMac with OS 10.4, but soon I'll switch to a shiny Macbook pro with 10.5, so in the poll I entered Mac OS 10.5.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.
Co-designed with Nikki: El Presidente.

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 15187
Profile Homepage #7
At the moment, I'm using an imaginary Mac. It's sort of like a phantom limb. I know it's gone, but I refuse accept it.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #8
My 1st-gen MacBook Pro is running Leopard, and my desktop PC may be running Leopard, but if you were to ask me in any official way, I would say it isn't. :P

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #9
I'm using Os 7.0.1

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
I'm using a MacBook and mostly running Windows XP on it: things just sort of turned out that way. It's got 10.5 installed on it too, of course, but when I need a Mac, I normally use my old eMac, which runs 10.3.9.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #11
Thanks for your info everyone, this was interesting. Frankly, I'm surprised to see how fast the adoption of Leopard and Intel systems have been. However, I also see that it's probably not going to be time to drop support for Panther for a bit of a while yet.

--------------------
"Verbs for the weak!"
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #12
When my iBook G4 with 10.3.9 finally dies or Jeff's new games no longer run on it, I'll upgrade. At least it has Classic for OS 9 games.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #13
I run a G4 here with both OS 9 & 10.4. I've had it for 4 or so years now, and I intend to run it another 3-4. It's ridiculous to spend thousands of dollars on a new computer every 2-3 years. Who came up with that system, and who buys into it? I had my previous Mac, a Power Computing clone, for a good 8 years.

I have no need or intention of upgrading to 10.5. One day when I finally replace my mirror-doored friend here, I suppose I'll finally get to play Civilization IV. So far, that's my only real lament. I'm a nostalgic sort. I like to go back and revisit old stuff from previous OS's. Heck, I even have emulation software to run my old Apple ][ stuff, if I ever really feel like it.

Meanwhile, G5 is getting close. I can feel it. I can taste it in the water, like blood drawing a shark from afar. Mmmmm.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator N:R Items The Lonely Celt A5 Items A5 Map
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

I'm using a MacBook and mostly running Windows XP on it: things just sort of turned out that way. It's got 10.5 installed on it too, of course, but when I need a Mac, I normally use my old eMac, which runs 10.3.9.
Out of curiosity, why are you using the eMac for Mac stuff? Why not the Macbook?

Synergy: seconded, though I must say that I completely abandoned OS9 when I got my OS10.4 iMac. I thought I'd be using the older one for some old games and such, but it appeared that actually most of the programs I used on OS9, have replacement that usually is just as good or even better. What I do play from time to time is Dark Castle and Beyong Dark Castle. However, not that Return to Dark castle is out, I may abandon those.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

Out of curiosity, why are you using the eMac for Mac stuff? Why not the Macbook?
I've got files on it that I haven't bothered to transfer over yet, and there are one or two programs I use that don't run properly on Intel Macs. Also, sometimes it's nice to have a numeric keypad.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Also, sometimes it's nice to have a numeric keypad.
Very much so, but that's just impelled me to invest in a keyboard that can sit on my desk when my laptop is at home.

—Alorael, who knows he'll have to get used to Apple's new keyboard (and, for that matter, Mighty Mice) eventually. For now he's steadfastly holding on to his old and rather grimy keyboard from circa 2000.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Silver Fists of Fury:

Very much so, but that's just impelled me to invest in a keyboard that can sit on my desk when my laptop is at home.

—Alorael, who knows he'll have to get used to Apple's new keyboard (and, for that matter, Mighty Mice) eventually. For now he's steadfastly holding on to his old and rather grimy keyboard from circa 2000.

Seconded, all. Not having a number pad is a huge inconvenience when using the 3D BoA Editor (for the primary example of my necessity for an actual keyboard). Now, me being too cheap to actually go out and buy a keyboard, I actually did go into the garage and find one from a 1st generation iMac that wasn't being used. Knew it'd come in handy eventually!

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

ET reminds me of myself before I was taken into a small chatroom by TM, Alec, and various other members. They then proceeded to beat some sense into me...
-Lt. Sullust

My website: Nemesis' Refuge (Last Update: 3/16/08)
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #18
Oh my, the mighty mouse. I think I put up with it for about two days before going back to my previous one.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #19
I've had no problems with my Mighty Mouse in the 8 months that I've been using it. Its the bluetooth mouse and for a keyboard I have the really thin one but it hooks up to my MacBook with a UBS cables. Never had any problems with it and it feels a lot more comfortable for me to type with then the older blocky keyboards.

But I might just be the odd sheep in the flock here.

--------------------
"The President finally had what he wanted. The President had a planet. All to himself." -A Planet For The President
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #20
I agree with you. I love the new keyboard and now have a hard time typing on everything else. The mighty mouse is also great. The only problems I've had have been me clicking too far back and causing that to click both buttons, and temporary things like the trackball getting mucked up.

--------------------
Ornks, Guac, Gazers. 'Nuff said.
=:T:=
Lifecrafter
Member # 375
Profile #21
OS 9 here. I'm drowning in nostalgia.

--------------------
"I liked white better."
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #22
I hate the Mighty Mouse. I find it incredibly uncomfortable. I love Apple, but the seem incapable of making a decent mouse. (Remember the old hockey puck mice?) However, I absolutely love the new slim aluminum keyboard. It is incredibly comfortable to type on.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #23
I really don't see what's the problem with the mighty mouse (except the scroll ball getting dirty and not responding). It always works great, and I have no problem whatsoever with right clikc. Almost all my friends do, and I don't know why.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #24
The mighty mouse cramps my hand something fierce. I generally like the concept of it for non gaming users, but it's also difficult to use in gaming when I may need to quickly switch between mouse buttons. My scroll wheel would gum up weekly and have to be rubbed with cleaning solution to work again. I quickly reverted to my old standby the Microsoft Wheel Mouse. This has to be one of the most comfortable mice I've used, and It's simple and responsive. A great mouse for any computer. At work we buy these by the case for our Mini's, iMacs, and PC's.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=008

--------------------
http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join.asp?idr=412684821
alexkaltsas.com

Pages