Important Message About Board Upgrade

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Important Message About Board Upgrade
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #0
In the very near future, we will be pulling the trigger on the long-awaited upgrade of this board's software. Sadly, as we are paying the company to do the upgrade for us, we do not have an exact time/date when the upgrade will take place. All of the old articles and accounts should stay in place. If any interested parties want to do a backup just in case, we wouldn't object.

We will be upgrading from this archaic version of UBB.classic to UBB.threads 7.2. This new board software will have many new features, including some very helpful anti-spam upgrades. We think that the new board will be faster, better, and easier to maintain.

We selected UBB.threads because we felt that it had the best chance of being able to maintain the old board posts. Since the primary purpose of this board is to provide an archive of hints and information for players of our games, this was, by a long shot, the most important consideration. If there is a different sort of board software you prefer, we regret your disappointment.

One unfortunate effect of the old board software is that we have a HUGE number of spam accounts. Thousands and thousands. This slows the board down and causes all sorts of problems. To deal with this, once the new board is installed, we will be deleting all accounts with a post count of zero. We will be really careful to make sure that legitimate accounts are not harmed, but some step along this line is absolutely necessary.

That is the important information. We hope to see you all in the FUTURE.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
This is very good to hear.

Since the content will be transferred, I'll try to make my archive transition seamlessly to archiving the new board. I'm skeptic of UBB, but admittedly it's the easiest upgrade path.

(I just hope that the "Threads" in its name does not indicate we get threaded views instead of the flat views we have now. Those really are an abomination if you want to read a thread from start to finish, and they encourage derailing the topic instead of bringing it back on track.)

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Apprentice
Member # 7776
Profile #2
In before the bot boot.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #3
Originally by Arancaytar:

quote:
(I just hope that the "Threads" in its name does not indicate we get threaded views instead of the flat views we have now. Those really are an abomination if you want to read a thread from start to finish, and they encourage derailing the topic instead of bringing it back on track.)
http://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary.html

It seems to be okay. There also appears to be a topic with 2749 replies, so presumably UBB will no longer be a hazard to RPs and other really long threads.

Dikiyoba.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb ReloadedEpisode 5: Spiderweb Resistance
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
Woo, pretty.

It's a pity that most of the social toys/features (photos, shoutbox, events calendar) will probably be left off here to conserve resources.

Edit: Also, I forgot about the Endeavor.

Simple thing - if member numbers are conserved in spite of deletions, it will continue as it is now. If they're reset, I'm afraid the Endeavor will have to be shut down entirely while I think of a way to support the old and the new data.

[ Wednesday, April 30, 2008 18:14: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #5
It looks like a major improvement. And it looks like avatars may grace SW yet again. It has my approval.

--------------------
In other news, I told you so. :P

--------------------
Nioca's Citadel
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally in yinboi's first ever post:
In before the bot boot.
Heh, I wonder how many other lurkers should be posting to save their accounts right about now.

Question: How will the deleted accounts effect the numbering system?

Edit: Upon closer inspection, it is likely the person I quoted is not a lurker at all.

[ Wednesday, April 30, 2008 19:11: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #7
Well, I'm glad to see the removal of the spambots. Maybe the "Welcome to our newest member" feature (if there is one) will actually have some meaning.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Warrior
Member # 14343
Profile Homepage #8
Wouldn't spammers be people with lots of posts?

I mean, if they were spamming topics all the time with ads and stuff....

It would be people who only unlurk once a year to ask for help who would have the lowest post count I would think.

--------------------
"And if I had the choice I'd take the voice I got / Cause it was hard to find. / You know I've come too far to wind up right back where I started." - Concrete Blonde (True)

http://tobylinn.awardspace.com
http://toby-linn.stumbleupon.com/
http://www.flixster.com/user/tobylinn
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #9
Will member numbers be maintained?

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
Based on nothing in particular except making programming easier, I'd guess that deleting members will have no effect on existing numbers and that new members won't fill in the gaps.

UBB.threads has all kinds of nice and all kinds of useless features. We'll probably start with a nice, flat forum and minimal frills and be happy, then tweak from there.

Avatars might return, but they could be here right now and they aren't. Accordingly, I must suspect that the rationale behind not having them (waste of viewer's time and bandwidth) remains in force. At least the new board will, if it's halfway decent allow limits on avatar size so no one will be stuck looking at paterick's abomination.

—Alorael, who might even have to dig out his old avatar for the occasion. It's probably knocking around somewhere on his computer for the occasion despite this being several computers later.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #11
As boards go, these boards don't have a huge population. I am optimistic that, once the bot overhead has been purged, we'll have the CPU power available to turn on avatars and other features. I certainly want to.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Apprentice
Member # 7775
Profile #12
Gah! Remembering a password I've never used before is a real pain.

I would like to submit a formal protest to Aran. Yinboi is not on The Grand Endeavor list. :(
Apprentice
Member # 8740
Profile #13
I'm not a spam-bot-thingy. Really, all honest-like. And I've got one whole post to prove it!
Apprentice
Member # 17415
Profile #14
I am wondering if, when we change boards will I have to go trhough 500 years of old email to find my password.

Or will the cookies still work and I can log in as normal?

I use firefox and am rather offened that you going around insulting me for something I don't do.

[ Thursday, May 01, 2008 09:07: Message edited by: BlueRivets ]

--------------------
It's a lonely thing floating out on the sea.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #15
VFAQ

#26: Why is my account not in the Endeavor database?

If an account exists, it will be recorded in the Endeavor database on the first 17th after it was created.

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #16
Every other board update I have experienced requires a new cookie. Firefox does store passwords for you, but it does it by form, so you might have to re-fill it in, but it is stored for you. What? You don't use Firefox? I suppose Earth Month is over, so it is okay to go back to global warming/recession/pollution/asteroid impact causing Microsoft products.
You know. The ImInUrPuter Exploring one. Yeah. Nasty stuff. Get Firefox.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #17
If you haven't deleted it just dig up the original email you got when joining for your password.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #18
Originally by BlueRivets:

quote:
I am wondering if, when we change boards will I have to go trhough 500 years of old email to find my password.
Change your password now and write it down somewhere you can't lose it.

Dikiyoba.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb ReloadedEpisode 5: Spiderweb Resistance
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #19
Man, this is more effective than Ep.1 for drawing out lurkers!

--------------------
Jim, the end of the world is here, the Xel'Naga have returned -Zeratul in Starcraft 2 trailer
I will rule this sector or see it burnt around me! -Arcturus Mengsk
We have cared for Auir and you people, even when you shun us for rejecting the Khala - Zeratul
No matter what name I have, people can call me Xel
Pylons!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by BlueRivets:

I use firefox and am rather offened that you going around insulting me for something I don't do.
Easy there, sailor. No reason to get offended. Salmon was only being sarcastic, and that's pretty normal here. I'm sure he meant nothing by it.

Now on topic:
Woot! I look forward to not seeing error messages. And avatars would be cool here, although I might have to find/make an original one, because I'm tired of using the same ones for everything.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

ET reminds me of myself before I was taken into a small chatroom by TM, Alec, and various other members. They then proceeded to beat some sense into me...
-Lt. Sullust

My website: Nemesis' Refuge (Last Update: 3/16/08)
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #21
I was offending Microsoft, not anyone registered on this forum.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #22
I find Firefox mildly annoying in that there are things I can do in html and javascript that are not yet supported by Firefox...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
真実長ガス
Apprentice
Member # 14311
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin Salmon:

I was offending Microsoft, not anyone registered on this forum.
question-why is the "offensive remark" after the post where he comments on the remark?

Edit: Woot! 25 posts!

Edit: really? i didn't see the part that said edited...sorry

[ Thursday, May 01, 2008 18:14: Message edited by: brock petersdorf-nelson ]

--------------------
you will submit to my will...MindDuel!
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #24
Because he used the edit button, not feeling like making another post for a somewhat meaningless reason.

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.

Indeed, mortals, we envy you.

Pages