The Time has Come

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Time has Come
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #100
If you like, we could start taunting people like Alec or Scorp. Is that what you would like to see for parity? I mean, we already taunt Drakefyre, *i (well, you do), Alorael, and the rest of them. The only difference I see is that they are smart enough to not over react.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #101
Drakefyre and Alorael don't post garbage. You, on the other hand, have made more than your fair share of suspect posts and threads. I could name others, but I really hope your all not seriously that oblivious.

--------------------
You lose.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #102
Oh, come now. We taunt Salmon all the time. It just encourages him.

Dikiyoba.

Edit: Typo.

[ Wednesday, April 09, 2008 11:21: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb ReloadedEpisode 5: Spiderweb Resistance
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #103
Hmm, further proof of my earlier theory that the Spiderweb community drives away all but the most stubborn and annoying potential members. You clearly have no business being here, Diki.

--------------------
You lose.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #104
quote:
Originally written by LakiRa@:

quote:
Originally written by Jeran:

Fat chance with the history that currently only tracks the last 50 posts
It probably suits you :P

p.s I only said it sucks

How dare you rationalize yourself in front of me!

*Checks stats*

Oh dear, I seem to have exhausted my lore: (What the hell I'm talking about) uses for today. It feels vaguely terrifying...all alone in the sea of darkness. Will saves all round!

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #105
Those of us who try not to be too annoying are just being meta-stubborn: no so-and-so Spiderweb groupthink is gonna make a monkey outa us, bub!

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #106
Well, it appears that my attempt to get this thread back on track was wildly successful.

*sighs*

Alright, lets get this over with.

quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

quote:
Originally written by Blades of Grass:

Believe it or not, post content is the biggest contributor to how people are judged here.
Well, that's the biggest pile of crap I've heard on here in a while. I haven't forgotten how you all treated me when I was a new member, and I'm sure Nioca and Nalyd haven't forgotten how miserably you treated them. On the flip side, I can name multiple low numbered members that post total garbage whenever they are around, yet they are not given nearly as hard a time as newer members who post legitimately (except by me, of course). How can you say people are judged by their content when these are the conditions this board is living under?

Tullegolar, you're making one faulty assumption in this tirade of yours: You're assuming that the higher member numbers are posting entirely legit, and they're not. Back in the day, Nayld and myself were deserving of the miserable treatment that came our way (and really, there wasn't much of it; well, for me, at least). I mean, take a good look; I was a spamming moron, and Nayld was obsessed with "-X-'s big book o' personalities" or whatever it was. Both of us eventually stopped the noobish behaviors, and lo and behold, the treatment stopped too.

[ Wednesday, April 09, 2008 11:42: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #107
Nalyd agrees, but would like to add that there were several other short-lived gimmicks thrown in there as well. Worse ones.

Good job, Alo!

[ Wednesday, April 09, 2008 11:46: Message edited by: Prophet ]

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.

Indeed, mortals, we envy you.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #108
quote:
Originally written by Alo, Nioca, Nalyd, Dikiyoba, and Salmon:

(a bunch of stuff)

*nods*

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #109
Damn it Nioca and Nayld! You bastards never have my back! After all I've done for you! We registered at the same time, I considered you my forum brothers, I would always stick up for you when no one else would. You can consider that time over! You're on their side now. A dream come true for you both, I'm sure.

quote:
Ephesos:
Baaaa.

[ Wednesday, April 09, 2008 12:01: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #110
Posts aren't evaluated in a vacuum, and I don't even think they should be. If you've built up a history here, you have a known personality, and you've made yourself clear with content before, you're given some leeway with posting junk. Some of your junk is also taken ironically (yes, even when it shouldn't be). More posts and having been around longer means you've had more of a chance to build up that perceived identity that allows you to get away with things.

The other side, though, is that if you make a terrible first impression it will stick around for a while. Think of it like food coloring in water: it only takes a tiny drop of dark coloring to stain your reputation if your total posts just wet the bottom of the glass. Generate enough presence and the dye gets diluted away.

Nioca, Nalyd, and you, ET, were given hard times because you posted in such a way that you were perceived as legitimate targtes of ribbing, both good-natured and not so good-natured. If you had posted differently it wouldn't have happened, and it in fact doesn't happen to many new members. They're less noticeable because they just make their posts and don't get embroiled in fights here.

—Alorael, who concludes that your complaints about the unfairness of Spiderweb are, in a sense, true. The step you're missing is that it's only true for a certain subset of members. There are plenty of ways to join inoffensively. Just because you find the need to be inoffensive itself offensive to your sensibilities doesn't mean Spiderweb should conform to your idea of acceptance of all, no matter how grating they may be.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #111
Also remember that people have their own personal reactions to the way others act, and those are legitimate. While as a whole it might be that certain members are ostracized it's not as if there's some kind of hive mind deciding that. I, for example, gave Nioca probably a harder time than he deserved, while I never had a problem with ET's remarks; just due to my own proclivities and hang-ups.

Also, while Alorael makes a good point, I don't think oldbies really receive better treatment. They may be tolerated more, but TM certainly attracted as much vituperation as any new member. Alec certainly attracted more flames. They are extreme examples of oldbies, but you are an extreme example of a newer member, ET.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #112
quote:
Originally written by Blades of Grass:

The other side, though, is that if you make a terrible first impression it will stick around for a while. Think of it like food coloring in water: it only takes a tiny drop of dark coloring to stain your reputation if your total posts just wet the bottom of the glass. Generate enough presence and the dye gets diluted away.
I can think of several members who made simply horrible first impressions, but that evaporated quickly when certain factors became known. Others made decent first impressions, and eventually soured their reputation. It is as much a function of individual as community, and is unlikely to change without a vastly different rule-set.

The reality is though, that you (ET) seem determined to change the type of community present here. I don't really know why, perhaps because the bar for entry is so low? But, that isn't going to happen. You aren't the force of personality that you may think, and the collective personality present is too much for any one person to re-direct. I doubt though that it would be satisfying to find a community which matches your desires, as then you would merely be a fish in the sea, rather than a community personality. Albeit, that personality is the crazy guy that wanders around in his boxers and bathrobe walking his cat on a leash while mumbling about non-existent political machinations and cabals.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #113
quote:
Alorael:
More posts and having been around longer means you've had more of a chance to build up that perceived identity that allows you to get away with things.
So you are now agreeing with my earlier assertion that people are judged by numbers here rather than content? You just said the opposite a few posts ago, why the flip-flop?
quote:
Nioca, Nalyd, and you, ET, were given hard times because you posted in such a way that you were perceived as legitimate targtes of ribbing, both good-natured and not so good-natured
This is a direct violation of the code of conduct. There are no "legitimate" targets of "not so good-natured" attacks. Some mod you are.
quote:
Just because you find the need to be inoffensive itself offensive to your sensibilities doesn't mean Spiderweb should conform to your idea of acceptance of all, no matter how grating they may be.
This is not the problem at all. I would never preach the acceptance of all members. I believe in giving new members a chance to prove themselves before dismissing them after only a few misguided posts (something this community does not do) and I also believe repeated offenses by senior members should not be so readily forgiven (another thing this community does not do). You punish people before they know what's going on, and you tolerate people that should know better. You all seem to have things completely ass backwards. It defies logic!

--------------------
You lose.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #114
quote:

quote:
Alorael:
More posts and having been around longer means you've had more of a chance to build up that perceived identity that allows you to get away with things.
So you are now agreeing with my earlier assertion that people are judged by numbers here rather than content? You just said the opposite a few posts ago, why the flip-flop?

A for effort. D- for comprehension.

More posts = more content = more data from which to extract valid judgments. So, where is the flip?

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #115
And why should members be allowed to post crap just because they've posted legitimately before?

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #116
Lego, you're silly. 'Cause it's fun, and because we have a good idea of when to knock it off.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #117
quote:
Damn it Nioca and Nayld! You bastards never have my back! After all I've done for you! We registered at the same time, I considered you my forum brothers, I would always stick up for you when no one else would. You can consider that time over! You're on their side now. A dream come true for you both, I'm sure.
Nalyd refuses to side with you when you're wrong. And Nalyd was a crappy forum member. On the issue of whether members, oldbies in particular, get more leeway than newer or less-liked members, Nalyd does think you are right. Judgment should be made on individual incidents, not on the overall forum record of a member, except when considering, say, a perma-ban.

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.

Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #118
quote:

This is a direct violation of the code of conduct. There are no "legitimate" targets of "not so good-natured" attacks. Some mod you are.
If the CoC was strictly enforced, then you would have plenty of company in the regular banning list. After all use of certain words and evading the autocensor to use them even when not fully spell out is a violation. Also for making attacks on other people after all your diatribes against the establishment.

quote:
+ Using vulgarity and/or obscenities in any language (whether it's in the open, masked, or abbreviated)
+ Any communication that is intended to harass, belittle, humiliate, threaten or cause embarrassment to a fellow member.
There is a certain tolerance in behavior. Some people get more because they are viewed as useful members.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #119
Nalyd: Poor Nayld, brainwashed into self-hatred. I mourn for you. You should change your signature to "Mourn for us, mortals."

Generic Mod: Useful members are allowed to break the CoC? How is that fair? All that accomplishes is a reinforced elitist system that scares off outsiders. And who decides what is useful? I could name a lot of members that have not posted anything 'useful' since I got here yet they seem to be on this unwritten list of 'tolerated.'

And another thing, why is it that I am the only one that is regularly banned? I post on the games forums all the time, I have debates with Jeff himself, he's said on at least one occasion that I make cool threads. Yet I am constantly punished for even the slightest infractions why? Because I choose to attack the offensive oldbies rather than the offensive newbies?

--------------------
You lose.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #120
Brainwashed? Only if reverse psychology is in full, unconscious effect.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #121
Yeah, so I hope that the new boards will have a fast reply option, since SV has made me lazy.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - forget about your house of cards, and I'll deal mine.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #122
quote:

And another thing, why is it that I am the only one that is regularly banned? I post on the games forums all the time, I have debates with Jeff himself, he's said on at least one occasion that I make cool threads. Yet I am constantly punished for even the slightest infractions why? Because I choose to attack the offensive oldbies rather than the offensive newbies?

You're on the list of banned and allowed to return, as opposed to the permabanned list with TM, Ed, and a few others that talked about cracked games to avoid the registration process.

If you were punished for the slightest infractions you would be banned again for language in this topic and attacking Nioca and Nalyd for not supporting you. The Establishment can deal with you when you attack him without our support.

I think your topics our probably why you get to come back. In some ways you provide something useful even if it's only as an example since TM isn't around to flame people when they get out of place.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #123
I think another issue here is that few people actually do bother with intentionally belittling/harassing, etc. Mostly it is sarcasm, however effectively written. What bugs me the most about you ET, is that you throw yourself in the middle of a discussion already anticipating getting hit with comments that you perceive as negative. It isn't exactly a self fulfilling prophecy, but you shouldn't be too surprised to find yourself pilloried when you jump in the middle of things. Like mentioned, it isn't your contributions (however philosophically misguided) to the games threads that put you at odds with the moderators, it is your insistence at being some sort of union leader for the under represented newbie. It's not your role, and never has been, especially in the public eye. If you want to lobby for something, there are effective ways of doing so. Calling the admins to task is not on that list.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #124
Why do you keep pretending to know me and/or what you're talking about, Salmon? What does any of that towards the end of your post even mean? I'm calling the admins to task? Why would I do that? They don't listen. Why do you think I'm trying to change things? I already made it clear that the only members that stay are stubborn ones, bent on keeping a backwards caste system in hopes that they will one day reach its pinnacle. No, I'm not trying to change things, just point out the shortcomings and hopefully diminish the pride you all seem to have invested in this nonsense.

--------------------
You lose.

Pages