The 2008 Elections

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The 2008 Elections
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #0
That's right. Come November 2008, voters everywhere will be coming to polling stations to vote for the Leader of the World. You see, His second term is coming to an end soon, and He cannot run for a third, thankfully. He's been the man in charge since the beginning of this dreaded period of time, and I'm hoping that we can get some real change in the higher ups come November.

In other words, who will you be electing God come 2008?

Poll Information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 28 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=tULLFLSElCOk"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=tULLFLSElCOk"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
"All (Spiderweb) servers should be taken down, erased, and then subjected to dissolution by alkahest." -Alorael
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #1
IMAGE(http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/875/grouchomarxja6.jpg)
:P

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #2
Why? You joke about this, but I think you are actually concerned about it. Adding Lenin? Marx? There seems to be no point in this, but before dismissing it as a failed attempt at humor, I'll wait for the explanation.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

Why? You joke about this, but I think you are actually concerned about it. Adding Lenin? Marx? There seems to be no point in this, but before dismissing it as a failed attempt at humor, I'll wait for the explanation.
It's something of a political/religious poll. For example, Marx and Lenin would be something of an atheist option, and Communism. Clinton and Clinton, as well as Obama and Hope would be a Democratic option, etc.

Of course, there are joke options.

--------------------
"All (Spiderweb) servers should be taken down, erased, and then subjected to dissolution by alkahest." -Alorael
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #4
IMAGE(http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q284/bobhiggins/LibertyWeepsBW.jpg)

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
BANNED
Member # 10430
Profile #5
Now we know why America elected Bush twice in a row.

But to be frank, while Obama may be 'inexperienced' (and associated with a 'black powah!' church), I find Hillary repugnant. From her voice to her crocodile tears, to her constantly mentioning her gender to win votes. Paraphrased: "We owe it to ourselves to elect a female president in 2008!" ie. Don't elect me because of my policies or competency... elect me because of my gender!
I wanted to pound the hag's face in when I heard that.

--------------------
"I am Barzhal, and I am here to ask you a question:
Is a man not entitled to the products of his own essence?

No, says the servile in Medab. It belongs to the oppressed.
No, says the Shaper in Terrestia. It belongs to the Shaper Council.
No, says the Trakovite in hiding. It belongs to no-one.

I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something
different. I chose the impossible. I chose… Ascension."
Posts: 136 | Registered: Wednesday, September 12 2007 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #6
Also, "I'm not going to play the gender card. But this is the first time a woman has run for President." :rolleyes:

Buddha and Confucius '08.
IMAGE(http://www.writespirit.net/religious_traditions/buddhism/Daibutsu-Buddha.jpg) IMAGE(http://www.historywiz.com/images/religion/confucius.jpg)

[ Saturday, March 15, 2008 17:04: Message edited by: Taliesin ]

--------------------
Love is the movement.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #7
I had just remembered, Jeff has some joke about a Scorched Earth Party.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

I had just remembered, Jeff has some joke about a Scorched Earth Party.
That's what I was thinking of (in a way) when I put him on the ballot.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #9
I always liked the Marx Brothers - Groucho, Chico, Harpo, and Karl (anyone else remember seeing them all together on TV?).

You forgot to include none of the above as an option.
Apprentice
Member # 13003
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Lepus timidus:

I find Hillary repugnant. From her voice to her crocodile tears, to her constantly mentioning her gender to win votes. Paraphrased: "We owe it to ourselves to elect a female president in 2008!" ie. Don't elect me because of my policies or competency... elect me because of my gender!
I wanted to pound the hag's face in when I heard that.

I thought Hillary was a guy...

--------------------
"Time Line? That makes no sense! Time is in circles! That is why clocks are round," - Michael J. Caboose
The Archives
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #11
Is that the Buddha from Lantau Island near Hong Kong?

I was actually looking for a serious topic as well, though I think we've had one. As the current President has demonstrated though, the holder of the office is hardly a god, and can be quite ineffectual.

I voted for Hillary in the Virginia primary, but would be fine with either Democrat candidate receiving the nomination. Whoever is chosen, I will vote for that person over McCain. We need a better economic policy, and with that I think more regulation will be required. While McCain seems a little more sensible than the current administration, I wouldn't hold my breath that he would take steps to do the right thing, as far as I'm concerned.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #12
I was reading that Mitt Romney could possibly be McCain's running mate, which would be strategic for him, because then he'd have an almost guaranteed win in Navada and Utah.
---
I think it would be cool if John Stossel was president, and I'm not joking either.

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #13
quote:

I was reading that Mitt Romney could possibly be McCain's running mate, which would be strategic for him, because then he'd have an almost guaranteed win in Navada and Utah.
---
I think it would be cool if John Stossel was president, and I'm not joking either.

John Stossel is an idiot.

If Mitt Romney was added to the McCain ticket there is no way I would vote for McCain.

I would prefer Obama over Hitlery, but neither is a stunning candidate. Either will give the Republican party the impetus to present a more electable choice in the next election, effectively winning back the office in 2012.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #14
quote:

I would prefer Obama over Hitlery, but neither is a stunning candidate.
Is there a specific bit of Obama's policy that you revere or are you simply enthralled by his rhetoric like everyone else? Hillary is actually about as stunning as any candidate has been in a long time, with her Washington experience and firm stance on the issues. Plus there's Bill.

I wonder what would happen if McCain picked her as a running mate. I'd vote that ticket over Obama easily.

--------------------
You lose.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #15
quote:

Won't he anyway? I mean wouldn't NV and UT prefer him to a Democrat regardless of his running mate?

Also, no offense to NV and UT, but they aren't exactly the most pivotal states with regard to the electoral college...

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #16
This is my very first election. I'll definitely be voting for Obama in Primaries, but I'll vote Hillary if she is the Democratic candidate.

[ Sunday, March 16, 2008 05:18: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

My Movies

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Disappearer:

quote:

I was reading that Mitt Romney could possibly be McCain's running mate, which would be strategic for him, because then he'd have an almost guaranteed win in Nevada and Utah.
Won't he anyway? I mean wouldn't NV and UT prefer him to a Democrat regardless of his running mate?

Also, no offense to NV and UT, but they aren't exactly the most pivotal states with regard to the electoral college...

Nevada is usually a pivotal state in the main election, though not as much as others. Northern Nevada is more for Obama and Southern Nevada more for Hillary, but neither voted much for McCain. McCain actually was a distant third in the republican caucus, and I don't know too many people who actually voted for him. Nevada's probably the most liberal state in the union, but also highly religious. However, most people wouldn't vote for McCain solely because of religion, but if Romney's his running mate then it'd be a different case.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #18
Hey, where is "everything and nothing" option?

--------------------
Life is a neverending carneval where everyone has multiple costumes. I just hope mine are pleasing to the eye.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

Is there a specific bit of Obama's policy that you revere or are you simply enthralled by his rhetoric like everyone else?
Yes. After spending 3 trillion dollars in the "war" against terrorism under the current pro-security administration, I am seeking a new look at how to protect the country. Apparently, spending it into a recession is not going to be working, and I believe that Obama has a better shot at changing that course than do McCain or Clinton. I don't want more of that, and I think Obama is the only one of the remaining three to see that our actions as a country have created the terrorist threat. Heck, just eliminating support of the Saud family (friends of Bush) would eliminate half of the threat.

But, good question.

--------------------

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #20
quote:

quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

Is there a specific bit of Obama's policy that you revere or are you simply enthralled by his rhetoric like everyone else?
Yes. After spending 3 trillion dollars in the "war" against terrorism under the current pro-security administration, I am seeking a new look at how to protect the country. Apparently, spending it into a recession is not going to be working, and I believe that Obama has a better shot at changing that course than do McCain or Clinton. I don't want more of that, and I think Obama is the only one of the remaining three to see that our actions as a country have created the terrorist threat. Heck, just eliminating support of the Saud family (friends of Bush) would eliminate half of the threat.

But, good question.

The problem with Obama is that he has exactly same track record that Bush did in 2000: none. Sure, he will win the hearts and minds of the Iraqis, improve our economy, raise the standard of living, and put a chicken in every pot ... if you believe his unsubstantiated promises. However, he has absolutely no proof that he can do any of those things. Or, for that matter, that he can do anything more than give pretty speeches.

I know that 3 years in congress isn't much time to accomplish anything, but if Obama was half as brilliant as he claims to be, wouldn't he have at least something other than "hope" to his name? Every time he is asked for proof of his "judgment", he proves it by skillfully avoiding the question. Yes, he was against the invasion of Iraq back when he wasn't in Congress, but so was almost half the country, including every homeless man in Berkeley. However, once he actually got to Congress, Obama's voting record was very similar to Clinton's.

The most typical example of Obama campaign for me was an interview a couple days ago when reporter asked him to give an example of his "judgment" that didn't involve Iraq or Iran. He avoided the question. Reporter asked him again. He avoided the question. Reporter gave up and asked about any example of judgment. Obama said "there are lots of times when I have to show judgment. There was a vote on Iran several months ago..." The US Senate makes hundreds of decisions that affect every aspect of our lives. What has Obama been doing for the past 3 years, if after a year of being asked this question on campaign trail, he still can't give an example of a difficult decision he faced in some area other than his one favorite subject?

[ Monday, March 17, 2008 09:28: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #21
Okay, so what? I prefer Obama's rhetoric over the threat of more-of-the-same from Clinton or McCain. Both of them seem to be obstructionists, much like Bush, so I still am not swayed. My chief criticism is that I don't see either of them doing the things necessary to turn this country back from a slide into recession, and you've done nothing to dissuade me. Rather than bad-mouth Obama, talk up the other two. Tell me how they would do the things I want to see done.

--------------------

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #22
quote:

Okay, so what? I prefer Obama's rhetoric over the threat of more-of-the-same from Clinton or McCain. Both of them seem to be obstructionists, much like Bush, so I still am not swayed. My chief criticism is that I don't see either of them doing the things necessary to turn this country back from a slide into recession, and you've done nothing to dissuade me. Rather than bad-mouth Obama, talk up the other two. Tell me how they would do the things I want to see done.
Um, you do realize that Hillary and Obama promise exactly same things? They might heatedly argue about fine points of healthcare plans, but those fine points will change a dozen times during political process anyway.

Every list of campaign promises I've seen shows same positions for Hillary and Obama, with the only difference being how they are worded. This is why the campaign is so close: it's impossible to chose among the two candidates on issues. So the only question is: who has the higher chance of delivering on their promises?

And this is the area where Obama utterly fails, because even after 3 years in Senate he has no proof that he can actually do any of the things listed in his speeches. How will he reach out to Republicans, if he couldn't reach out to shake Hillary's hand? How will he solve the economic problems if can can't thing of any tough decision on domestic policy he faced in the last 3 years in Senate?

EDIT: The two questions I've posted in the end are not rhetorical. Obama's refusal to shake Hillary's hand was one of the most important events in the campagn for me, because we can see politicians' true character only when they think nobody is watching. And when somebody who builds his entire image around being "Mr. Positive" doesn't show common curtecy to his opponent when he thinks nobody is looking, that raises questions about the authenticity of his image.

And on the questions of carrying out policy, there are plenty of tough questions Senators have to struggle with: What is the best way to improve economy? How do we handle global warming without bankrupting the country? How much gun control do we need? What should be done about costs of healthcare? If a Senator doesn't find votes on any of these issues challenging, he is either blinded by fanaticism, or convinced that his decisions are always perfect. Neither of these explanations makes the candidate appealing to me.

[ Monday, March 17, 2008 11:35: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
BANNED
Member # 13806
Profile #23
quote:
Obama's refusal to shake Hillary's hand was one of the most important events in the campagn for me, because we can see politicians' true character only when they think nobody is watching. And when somebody who builds his entire image around being "Mr. Positive" doesn't show common curtecy to his opponent when he thinks nobody is looking, that raises questions about the authenticity of his image.
I would hesitate to accept authenticity on behalf of any politician's image, nevermind ones whose most common forms of expression involve shaking the hands of one's opponents.

And as for acting quickly: How many senators read any of the legislation they "pass" nowadays, anyway? Wanting to pass legislation and having a generally outwardly progressive agenda is preferable to not wanting to pass legislation quickly and having an outward progressive agenda, since the latter option leaves room for obviously non-progressive candidates to ammend their bills to the whims of lobbyists.

(Clinton, as an example, receives more money from the health insurance industry than any other Democrat. Of course, both candidates are tainted--just last week, Clinton met with Boeing, and Obama met with Bechtel.)

I would simply make the point that, even if candidates are utterly hollow and will never do what we want, voting for a candidate with publicly endorsed views you support at least increases public confidence in those views if your candidate performs well. She or he would be something of a spokesman for your positions if pandering them is required for votes.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #24
quote:
Written by Zeviz:
And when somebody who builds his entire image around being "Mr. Positive" doesn't show common curtecy to his opponent when he thinks nobody is looking, that raises questions about the authenticity of his image.

I see it the other way. Politicians that absolutely hate each other will smile and shake hands. If Obama doesn't like Clinton, and isn't in a photo op, then hell. He shouldn't shake her hand. Hell no. It doesn't mean he wouldn't cooperate with her, it means he isn't going to pander to some artificial measure of a politician.

Edit - Since this is merely a contest between two personalities, and I've picked the one you don't like, I should perhaps disclose that I have met Mrs Clinton in person. On the other hand, my brother has met Obama and seemed to think he was a gas bag. Either way, I'll be supporting one of them in November.

[ Monday, March 17, 2008 17:53: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]

--------------------

Pages