The 2008 Elections

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The 2008 Elections
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #50
That's certainly what I would expect. If your airfield is insecure enough to have a hail of sniper fire, you shell the surrounding hills and send in a battle group to secure it. You don't land high dignitaries and tell them to keep their heads down.

If your airfield is secure there are no hostile snipers, but if you are still in a potentially dangerous country, then I expect you still tell the dignitaries to keep their heads down and run, just in case. If some of these dignitaries remember that experience as involving a hail of bullets, they're pretty out of touch, but not necessarily lying.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #51
What disturbs me about that story is that while backpedaling, she marginalizes the experience had by the Bosnian kid. I'm sure that kid had a very favorable impression of the visit at the time, but if she hears that the First Lady blanked on the whole thing her impression would likely change. And this stuff is coming right from the mouth of the person some want to represent us on the world stage. Gaffe or not, it is unprofessional.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #52
Salmon, what happened to "if you want me to vote for your guy, promote him, instead of dumping on the other candidate"? Or was the case only when there was no dirt to dump on Hillary?

Yes, everybody knows that for you this episode was as significant as Obama's camp accusing Bill Clinton of racism while claiming to promote racial reconciliation.

Or Obama picking Farakan's quote as the title of his book while claiming to promote racial reconciliation.

Or Obama refusing to shake Hillary's hand while claiming to be able to befriend the Republicans to pass things in Congress.

Or Obama claiming consistent anti-war stance, despite having identical voting record to Hillary once he actually got to US Senate. (It doesn't matter what speeches he gave when he was so insignificant that there are were recordings of his "famous" speech made, it matters how he voted once he actually got a chance to vote on these issues.)

Or ...

So it wouldn't really be in Obama's interest to turn this election into a mud slinging contest, because there is far more mud that could fly his way than Clinton's way.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #53
Huh. I just thought I was playing fairly. You seem to be willing to vote for Hillary because your see danger in Barack. I am pointing out the danger in Hillary as a reason I prefer Barack. I didn't want to take a road you seemed unwilling to travel.

--------------------

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #54
The first post was fine. Perhaps even the response to my post. Just repeating the same thing three times in a row even after everything was said on the subject felt a bit exessive to me.

And now back to your regularly scheduled political arguments. :)

[ Wednesday, March 26, 2008 12:26: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #55
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

The first post was fine. Perhaps even the response to my post. Just repeating the same thing three times in a row even after everything was said on the subject felt a bit exessive to me.
Zeviz, at this point you just sound as if you're complaining about not being allowed to get the last word.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #56
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

Zeviz, at this point you just sound as if you're complaining about not being allowed to get the last word.

That was more related to an IM conversation we had the night before, so admittedly I should have sent it via PM instead. Anyway, what I was complaining about was people harping on the same thing after everything was said about it. (Note that I don't usually get involved in public debates and even on this thread I didn't reply to people who argued with my posts, so having the last word, or even the second word is pretty low on my priority list.)

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #57
That's good... :P

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #58
Possible reasons for the gaffes made by Clinton and Obama in recent days.

And yes, that will have been the fourth time I mention the Bosnia sniper gaffe. :P

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #59
Just for you, Salmon.

--------------------
You lose.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #60
I don't have so much reason to care about this now, thank goodness, but I glanced at those lists. Man, people are getting nitpicky now; this is just not productive.

To seize on the one example I personally know well: for Obama to call himself a law professor when he was technically only a 'senior lecturer' would only be misrepresentation if he were addressing the University of Chicago faculty club, or something like that. And even then it might not be, depending on how particular Chicago faculty are in their colloquial terminology about job titles.

At many other schools than Chicago, analogous non-tenured positions are called 'Adjunct Professor'. And throughout North America, Assistant Professors normally never have tenure, and even Associate Professors sometimes do not. All these non-tenured people are normally called professors even within academia; and calling them professors is certainly the only reasonable way to explain to a general audience what they do.

[ Friday, March 28, 2008 01:50: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #61
Unless you simply say "taught at the law school," which puts _what_ he did even more plainly.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4638
Profile #62
I found this post on Slate interesting:

Slate

--------------------
Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #63
There really didn't seem to be anything controversial in that sermon...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #64
Isn't it sad that how a candidate conducts themself during this lengthy interview process is even more important than actual qualifications? I'm not sure that anyone can perform at our expectation levels for as long as this travesty continues. I predict more gaffes, more desperate low level campaign workers digging up more dirt, and less actual content until this whole thing is straightened out at the convention.
Even then, it will be messy, with the Democratic Party having within reach two of their gold medals. Now if only Hillary was black, or Barack was a woman....

--------------------

Pages