Is it old?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Is it old?
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Nicothodes:

Anything with Buster Keaton is awesome.
Great! Another Buster lover!

Quite a lot of my favorite films are from the 60s, but that's not so old. I look at a lot of old black&white films, but my favoritesare by far Casablanca and the most Hitchcock films (especially Psycho).

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Travian The Roost
Do you know what is the answer to the greatest question ever? It's here.

I like the French. They always go ^^. It's even infectious, if you catch the joke ^^ .
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #26
quote:
"What would you do if you were stuck in one place, and every day was the same, and nothing you did mattered?"

"That about sums it up for me."
Remember, don't mix beer and wine, don't drive on the railroad tracks and DON'T go drinking with hobos :) Ned ryerson!!!!!! I did the belly dancing in the school play. XD

--------------------
Vivan los Drayks! Viva Khyryk! Vivan los Serviles! Vivan los Travokites!
Tastes like Bambi, delicious
No matter what name I have, people can call me Xel
Pylons! this is what you send to blizzard if they cancel Starcraft 2.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #27
Shame on me for forgetting It's a Wonderful Life and The Gods Must be Crazy.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #28
For nostalgia, I recently saw The Exorcist. It caused me to seek out the theme music, Tubular Bells, which kicks slightly less ass than Lucifer himself. It's been at least a year since I last viewed The Shining - far too long when scenes like this one abound. Here's Johnny!

In new movies, I thought Cloverfield was a long-due modern adaptation of the monster movie genre, but nothing groundbreaking (ooh, a pun). Tideland fascinated me, but I feel I didn't grasp it entirely. Since it was written by Terry Gilliam, nobody can really expect to. Hard Candy has aired here at least half a dozen times recently - it was also sufficiently cool.

I've got to say, my favorite remains V for Vendetta. I've seen it plenty of times, and it never fails to drop me on my knees. In fact, it is the only film ever to actually make me cry. I'm almost certain someone will comfort me and subsequently explain why V for Vendetta is a product of media whoredom.

--------------------
"Write a wise saying and your name will live forever." - Anonymous
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #29
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

It's a Wonderful Life
Good movie. However, when every television station broadcasts it at least twice each week during the month of December, it has the unfortunate side effect of being rather annoying. It seems like somebody in the entertainment industry wants to beat this movie to death.

[ Tuesday, February 26, 2008 14:52: Message edited by: The Mystic ]

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #30
They show it so often because ages ago someone forgot to fill out the right paperwork so it went into the public domain, so they don't have to pay to air it on television.

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #31
The gods must be crazy was hilarious, he disabled the guards by shooting a laxative pin at them XD, all about Choke-a-hola.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #32
Help!, which is not quite as good as Yellow Submarine, but features Ringo much, much more.

And that's no bad thing.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - Come back to Camden, and I'll be good.
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #33
The animated movie the Yellow Submarine is as close to LSD as you can get, have that with pizza and warm milk, oh boy you gonna have some strange dreams, just don't call me when your cat is threatening to rape your bananas unless you give him a cardboard T.V.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #34
I've never seen Help or Yellow Submarine, or Hard Day's Night for that matter. Always wanted to though.

quote:
The animated movie the Yellow Submarine is as close to LSD as you can get...
You've never heard the album Magical Mystery Tour I bet.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #35
Help was very good. Haven't seen that in so long.

Regarding Labyrinth... I must say I was listening to David Bowie right before I logged into Spiderweb, which is an interesting coincidence. I thought the movie was rather strange, but the Escher-esque room was very cool, and David Bowie was cool. Some of his costumes were better than others, but overall I enjoyed it.

--------------------
Love is the movement.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #36
quote:

quote:
The animated movie the Yellow Submarine is as close to LSD as you can get...
You've never heard the album Magical Mystery Tour I bet.

Or seen the movie either. Freaky.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #37
The blue meanies say you are lying!

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #38
If you say so, Young Fred--or is it the Lord Mayor?

I've seen both Yellow Submarine and Magical Mystery Tour, and will agree that they're both fairly high on the scale of weirdness.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #39
I heard they made a movie of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band in the 70's starring the Bee Gees and Peter Frampton. The cast alone makes it sound weird.

I finally saw the Lord of the Rings. It's not an old movie, but I found it very impressive.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #40
quote:
Originally written by The Mystic:

If you say so, Young Fred--or is it the Lord Mayor?

I've seen both Yellow Submarine and Magical Mystery Tour, and will agree that they're both fairly high on the scale of weirdness.

You just haven't drunk enough to appreciate them.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - Come back to Camden, and I'll be good.
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #41
A Hard Day's Night and Help!, both directed by Richard Lester, greatly influenced the Monty Python troupe, as did Lester's other work.Help! even has a short, silly intermission at a tense point in the movie, which I think is funnier than the one in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. A Hard Day's Night pioneered many camera techniques that are still used in films, especially music videos, today, in addition to being hilarious. Both excellent movies, as is [/i]Yellow Submarine[/i], another innovative (and beautiful) movie.

I also love Magical Mystery Tour, but I may be an exception. Interestingly, it has a scene where John Lennon and George Harrison gawk at a stripper backed by The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band performing a lounge rendition of "Death Cab For Cutie". McCartney and Starr, perhaps the more reserved half of the band, are absent from the scene.

Regardless of the quality of the film, I think the soundtrack is vastly underrated. The American "album", which (for the sake of the uninitiated) was the tracks from the British MMT double-EP plus various singles from that year and was used for the CD release, is one of my favorites to listen to while shoveling snow.

EDIT: By the way, you don't really have to be any more drunk to understand Yellow Submarine than you do to understand Alice In Wonderland. Just because the visual style, scenery, and characters are inspired by hallucinogenic drugs doesn't mean it doesn't tell a coherent story. It's just a really fantastic one.

[ Wednesday, March 05, 2008 05:50: Message edited by: The Almighty Doer of Stuff ]

--------------------
My Myspace, with some of my art
The Lyceum - The Headquarters of the Blades designing community
The Louvre - The Blades of Avernum graphics database
BoE Webring - Self explanatory
They Might Be Giants - Four official websites for one of the greatest bands in existence
Apprentice
Member # 414
Profile Homepage #42
http://akas.imdb.com/title/tt0139738/

That's the oldest movie I've ever seen. The oldest GOOD movie that I've seen would have to be a Melies short.

--------------------
An Agent, An Agent Of Doom
Apprentice
Member # 414
Profile Homepage #43
quote:

[QB]I heard they made a movie of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band in the 70's starring the Bee Gees and Peter Frampton. The cast alone makes it sound weird.

Oh god, it's horrible. Never, ever watch it.

--------------------
An Agent, An Agent Of Doom
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #44
To tell the truth, I have never seen the magical history tour, but I can guess what it is.
quote:
You're just saying that because you were intimidated by his massive codpiece. IMAGE(http://curlyknitter.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/davidbowiebuldge.jpg]http://curlyknitter.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/davidbowiebuldge.jpg)
For some reason, the word "Codpiece" amuses me, anyway thats probably stuffing or an infection, either way I don't think it intimidates too many people.

quote:
You just haven't drunk enough to appreciate them.
Not true, I haven't ever touched alcohol and I loved it.

[ Wednesday, March 05, 2008 12:03: Message edited by: Xel'Raga ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #45
quote:
Originally written by Xel'Raga:

To tell the truth, I have never seen the magical history tour, but I can guess what it is.
quote:
You're just saying that because you were intimidated by his massive codpiece. IMAGE(http://curlyknitter.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/davidbowiebuldge.jpg]http://curlyknitter.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/davidbowiebuldge.jpg)
For some reason, the word "Codpiece" amuses me, anyway thats probably stuffing or an infection, either way I don't think it intimidates too many people.

Actually, it's neither stuffing nor an infection. It's a codpiece.

—Alorael, who thinks you have perhaps confused the garment by that name with its contents.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
By Xel'Raga
That typo just made my day, thanks! :P

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #47
I don't see a typo. :confused:

--------------------
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #48
You said "history" instead of "mystery." :)
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #49
quote:

You said "history" instead of "mystery." :)
For once, you're wrong.

It is a well known fact that the Beatles, nearing the break-up, were planning on undertaking a massive charity project, the Magical History Tour. They were going to use the profits from the White Album and on to support the project, which would be massive with all of this cash.

Of course, the charity project consisted of teaching kids about history with hallucenogenics to stimulate the mind and bring forth the actual historic scenes to help educate the children. Optimistic reports had it going from the Fertile Crescent all the way to the present, while pessimists had it starting in the six hundred BC's. John Lennon said this on the subject in an interview after the splitup:

"It was going to be amazing. Every child would see The Truth, and be free from The Man's oppression. All the wars would stop, famine and drought will be forgotten, and everyone would delve into Inner Space. But then the breakup came. There was some discussion of continuing the project with all our own individual bands and albums, but Starr wouldn't have anything to do with it, and Harrison and McCartney wanted to keep too much money. It brings a tear to my eye."

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy

Pages