Why did Starman Get Banned?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Why did Starman Get Banned?
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #0
Why did starman get banned? :confused:

--------------------
Viva la Drayks
Viva la Khyryk
Viva la Serviles
Viva la Travokites
Mr. Moose likes to eat
Tastes like Bambi, delicious
Uranium chicken
I put random stuff in my sig, take that all non-clutterists!
My name is Jester, I like spanking myself and bleeding confetti.
Uh, hi my name is Roy and I'm a magic addict. Hiii Rooooy.
"Why would some one in their right mind pee/poop on the Geneforge?" -Safty
People who don't like my sig can eat tuna for all I care!
If you don't want to type my full name, call me Xel.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #1
Because he was a moronic noob with no regard to the CoC or common decency.

In before one of these: IMAGE(http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubb/lock.gif)

--------------------
Hz'ii'zt a'iiencf coxnen a'bn'z'p pahuen yzpa'zuhb be'tt'phukh'kn az'ii'ova mxn't bhcizvi'fl?

Nioca's Citadel - A resource for BoA graphics and scripts, as well as my scenarios.
In Last Hope's Light RP - The end is near...
Shock Trooper
Member # 10374
Profile #2
I think its only temporarly as stated in avernum poll befor getting locked.

Let me say:In before the lock.

--------------------
You must show me respect becouse...never mind why but do respect me!
All hail me, your...something.
Don't contradict me or I'l...GUARDS!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
Because he posted what he posted in the Avernum 4 board "Avernum Poll" thread after multiple warnings and broke exactly the rule that I said that he broke in that thread.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #4
Members who don't read/follow the CoC usually get banned quickly.

Common sense is such a rare gift among us...

-waits for lock-

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

In before one of these: IMAGE(http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ubb/lock.gif)
quote:
Originally written by Toenail Returns:

-waits for lock-
Predicting that a thread will be locked should be a bannable offence.

Also, X-dawg, do you really see no problem with the fact that your sig is 13 times the length of your average post?

[ Wednesday, January 09, 2008 12:42: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #6
A deadly duo prehaps?

--------------------
"Fear that which mortality has rejected" -Galvin Magnus
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #7
Oh wow. Never saw that poll in the A4 until it was mentioned here. How unfortunate.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
I'm still bothered by the signature's errors. Fix it or remove it. Actually, why not do both?

—Alorael, who has a few more little pointers: "los" is the masculine and mixed plural definite article in Spanish, which is what you should be using instead of "la" in most cases. Khyryk is a name, and therefore the "la" should be removed. You don't say, "Long live the Eric!"
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
Can there be some sane compromise between having an open and transparent administrative system and not starting a thread every time some noob gets a strong hint to stop acting like an idiot?

When somebody like Alec or TM or TGM gets banned, that's controversy. There is room for debate and argument. They're abrasive, border-line profane, while a good part of their contributions has actual value. I'll go out on an NPOV line here and say even Tully or Infernal have been banned controversially.

The same cannot be said for most of the members who have been banned recently. If you want to find out why they're banned, use this URL to find their recent posts. Usually the reason for the ban is among the last 10 posts:

http://pied-piper.ermarian.net/search/post/author/{####}

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by 404 Error - PDN Not Found:

"los" is the masculine and mixed plural definite article in Spanish, which is what you should be using instead of "la" in most cases. Khyryk is a name, and therefore the "la" should be removed. You don't say, "Long live the Eric!"
Although in Spanish one does refer to "el Sr. Alorael" (or the like). But I think that rule only applies when you actually have a title in front of the name.

While we're at it, fix the conjugations of the verbs. "Viva" is singular. You need something else ("Vivan," I think, but it's been a while) for the plural.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
It would be nearly correct if it were Esperanto, but the imperative gets a u, not an a.

This way you're saying "Alive, the Drayks", etc.

--------------------
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #12
Ah, another BANNED announcement...what a surprise.

--------------------
I dub thee...
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

It would be nearly correct if it were Esperanto, but the imperative gets a u, not an a.

Except that Esperanto isn't real. It has the same value to the world as, say, Nicothodes' made up language.

Spanish has a rather well defined and elegant system of expression, ser aside, which is why it is one of the more prevalent languages in the world.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #14
How come Thuryl didn't get banned for saying that both Starman and Iffy sucked? Play favorites much, Stareye?

--------------------
You lose.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

quote:

Except that Esperanto isn't real. It has the same value to the world as, say, Nicothodes' made up language.

Spanish has a rather well defined and elegant system of expression, ser aside, which is why it is one of the more prevalent languages in the world.

Good idea, let's turn this into a thread on linguistics. We might even manage to salvage something of this burnt out grave!

Esperanto isn't a real language in the respect that it was naturally developed, but it was developed with full intent of it becoming an IAL. Having failed this, it still manages some sort of use for "mystery" languages. It's the realest of the fake, well above, say, Pig Latin.

On Spanish however, you're blatantly wrong. Spanish didn't become predominant because it's more "defined" or "elegant", it got predominant the same way English did: Good Colonization. Spain planted their population in large tracts of Latin America, spreading their language on to the natives. And now, those Latin Americans are going to the US, spreading themselves even further. Then of course, there's the Spaniards themselves.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
The Two Universal Truthes:
"All I know is that I know nothing" -Socrates
"I think, therefore I am." -René Descartes
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #16
You're trolling, Salmon, or you should do better research. Esperanto has been and is being applied for practical purposes. It is certainly of value to the world.

If Esperanto is not real by virtue of being systematically invented, neither is C, Java or Perl - or in fact most scientific languages and mathematical symbols. That is a pretty shaky argument.

[ Wednesday, January 09, 2008 16:21: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

quote:
Originally written by 404 Error - PDN Not Found:

"los" is the masculine and mixed plural definite article in Spanish, which is what you should be using instead of "la" in most cases. Khyryk is a name, and therefore the "la" should be removed. You don't say, "Long live the Eric!"
Although in Spanish one does refer to "el Sr. Alorael" (or the like). But I think that rule only applies when you actually have a title in front of the name.

Which would make Alorael right.

quote:

While we're at it, fix the conjugations of the verbs. "Viva" is singular. You need something else ("Vivan," I think, but it's been a while) for the plural.

Correct.

And because I'm feeling kind:
¡Vivan los Drayks!
¡Viva Khyryk!
¡Vivan los Serviles!
¡Vivan los Travokites!

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #18
quote:

You're trolling, Salmon
Bah, no one would go fishing in this weather. 16 foot swells every 8 seconds is a bit too rough, not to mention dangerous, in a 26 foot boat. I was just having fun, since there seems to be so little good humor left on these forums anymore.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Also, X-dawg, do you really see no problem with the fact that your sig is 13 times the length of your average post?
quote:
I put random stuff in my sig, take that all non-clutterists!
wow
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #20
Thuryl, I have a problem with you comparing Starman and I. I understand what is spam, and what is not. And I don't flip out. I did once apon a time, yet never in the fashion he did.

And you know, I kinda feel sorry for Starman. He just couldn't, or wouldn't, realize his mistakes.

--------------------
Don't judge a sentence until you know all the words.
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
Muffins n' Hell: The End is Near
Not in your shed -We are sort of done. Helpful criticism is welcome.
Everyone, just call me Iffy. Please.

Be grateful you have your unsellabe trowels -Goldenking

Just so you know, I am working on Muffins n' Hell the scenario.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
quote:

And it's actually correct in Spanish if you ignore subject-article-verb agreement.

—Alorael, who is a bit amused by his brain's processing. Viva goes with la, check. La does not go with Drayks! Fix the la! But then he missed the recursion to recheck the viva.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by The Creator:

Which would make Alorael right.
Yes, in this case, but the implication (that you use or omit the article in Spanish with names in the same way that you do in English) is not. Minor detail, but what the heck, it's a message board; may as well nitpick.

I wondered if someone would miss the point. Apparently so.
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

This gets into some thorny issues. At what point does a language cease being a natural language and become a constructed one? Turkish was seriously and deliberately modified after the Ottoman Empire fell, but it developed as a natural language previously. Hebrew was once a spoken language, died out, and was revived, but the modern version is not identical to the ancient version, and someone (mostly Ben-Yehuda) had to fill in the gaps where the ancient language was not perfectly known or lacked words for modern concepts. Esperanto did not develop naturally, but it has been used for serious literary works and some people speak it fluently. Klingon didn't develop naturally, either, but some people are fluent in it.

Drawing a line in this continuum and saying that "natural languages stop here and constructed languages begin" is harder than one might naively think.

[ Wednesday, January 09, 2008 18:08: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #23
quote:

Drawing a line in this continuum and saying that "natural languages stop here and constructed languages begin" is harder than one might naively think.
Ahh, but since it is a constructed language, I can just construct that line. It would be akin to drawing a line between the rights of humans and the rights of robots. Sure, some robots are more intelligent and likable than some people, but you still have to put that line in place. And I am just the authority to do so. So, um, there. ;)

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #24
quote:

Members who don't read/follow the CoC usually get banned quickly.
In all my time on this forum, I've never so much as glanced at the CoC, and yet I'm still here. Maybe I should consider myself lucky.
quote:

Common sense is such a rare gift among us...
Ain't that the truth. If common sense were a liquid, most people I've met (other than online) wouldn't have enough of it--combined--to fill a thimble halfway. I'll probably never understand why common sense is remarkably uncommon.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.

Pages