neat idea

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: neat idea
Apprentice
Member # 8633
Profile Homepage #0
Hey I've been playing Geneforge and I've come up with a cool idea for a game, that would most likely be easy to make since you have the engine and the like already made.

Basically, it'd be called Geneforge Arena, and it'd allow for multiplayer battles or Skirmish battles using the geneforge universe and battle system, which is quite fun.

There'd be 3 modes:

1) Skirmish Mode
-Basically, you create a character, using as many skillpoints as you want, and then either choose the exact foes you wish to face, or you'd just choose the difficulty level of a group (the monsters would depend on your character's level and which difficulty you chose). Then you have a little bit of time to summon creatures, and then the battle starts.

2) Multiplayer
-Basically like skirmish, but you'd be facing another person either on the same pc, over LAN, or (I dunno how experienced you guys are with this, but) internet, and you'd agree on a set number of skill points beforehand. Then each person summon their creatures and then the battle starts

3) Story
-It'd basically be a weak story about being in the underground shaper creation fights, just to get you used to the system, battles and the like. After completing it, perhaps you'd unlock some things for the other modes.

What do yuo guys think?
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #1
I'm sorry, but the chance of there being an MMORPG is highly unlikely.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, but not sanity -Iffy
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.
I like this image
Not in your shed -We are still under developement, but help would be nice. By the way, most of the conversation goes in the Moderator forum, in case your confused.
Iffy= Infernal Flamming Muffin. The y is added to make a word.
lol teh stupd text spek is lik ubar dum lol
Apprentice
Member # 8633
Profile Homepage #2
It's nowhere even close to an MMORPG. You one of those weir dpeople who thinks any game with online competition is an MMO? :eek:
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #3
Well, it might not be an MMORPG, but your idea does still raise the question of how Jeff benefits from it. For any kind of online element, Jeff would have to maintain some server space, an investment which would not necessarily do much for the company's profits.

So basically, it seems like a bit too much work for too little payoff. It might be cool, but meh.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #4
He could, however, have a two player arena within the game on the same machine. Since it's turn-based combat, it would be pretty easy to implement.

--------------------
In today’s America, there are more World of Warcraft players than farmers.
Apprentice
Member # 8633
Profile Homepage #5
Well, LAN would work just fine, and there's always direct internet connection, which doesn't really have an upkeep.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #6
Are implying on a Diablo-ish Geneforge? :eek:

--------------------
Humans fight to enter insanity.
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Apprentice
Member # 8633
Profile Homepage #7
No. Just a multiplayer or skirmish version of the geneforge battles.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #8
Hello there. Welcome to Spiderweb Software Message Boards, please leave your sanity in the jar by the door.

This sort of discussion is better suited to the Geneforge discussion forum, for your future reference.

--------------------
We as a race have grown complacent with our computers and thinking machines. The Old Ways of thinking have been lost for millennia. Now, they have been found.
Apprentice
Member # 8633
Profile Homepage #9
Yeah, i realized that after I posted, actually. :P
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #10
I agree with Ephesos as far as actually creating such a game.

"Geneforge Arena," as you call it, would be a innovative and fun game at first, but I would quickly grow tired of it.

--------------------
"On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and the tossing of the sea" Luke 21:25
Apprentice
Member # 8633
Profile Homepage #11
The thing is, there's already all of the graphics made, the engine's made, the battle system's made. Even the arena's could be made from already done areas.

It likely wouldn't take a huge amount of time to create (comparatively), and could be released as a budget title at about 15 bucks or so.

Even without internet, LAN and hotseat play would be quite fun IMO. I'd definitely buy it. And I'm sure others would as well.
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Azuma:

Are implying on a Diablo-ish Geneforge? :eek:
Combining my two favorite RPGs? I'd buy that. :P

--------------------
"We were meant to live for so much more. Have we lost ourselves?" - Switchfoot
----
My poetry
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #13
Watching fyora's breathe at each other, and manically casting healing spells doesn't seem like much fun to me...

Just sayin'.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - pretty, pretty?
Apprentice
Member # 8633
Profile Homepage #14
Why would you play geneforge if you didnt find the combat fun?

Just asking...
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by falco1029:

Just asking...

[Looks around like a moron]

Well u no i might like te stoyline yuno?

--------------------
MoM is back!!
Apprentice
Member # 8633
Profile Homepage #16
Im aware that combat isnt the only thing. But I wont play a game for its storyline alone. It needs to have good gameplay, and that includes combat. Otherwise I'd go read a book.

Thus why I'm questioning why he'd play it if he find the combat boring.
Apprentice
Member # 11690
Profile #17
I agree if your going to play a game like geneforge, you have to enjoy the combat system. As for a the concept of geneforge arena it sounds like a good concept but i agree with Excaliber i would find the concept fun at first but would definatly tire of it.
Apprentice
Member # 8633
Profile Homepage #18
Well if it was 15 bucks, you'd likely at least go through the story and enjoy some multiplayer. That'd be a good 5-10 hours worth of enjoyment right there, worth the money alone.

And it's the sort of thing you'd likely go back to a while later, and get a few more hours of enjoyment out of, you know?
Lifecrafter
Member # 375
Profile #19
quote:

The thing is, there's already all of the graphics made, the engine's made, the battle system's made. Even the arena's could be made from already done areas.

I'm just tossing an uninformed opinion here, but I thought that the engine would have to be rebuilt from scratch to change from a single player game to what you have proposed. The battle system too, probably. And, correct me if I'm wrong, the maps aren't designed for a deathmatch in mind.
So... you'd probably be creating an entirely new game. *shrug*

--------------------
"I liked white better."
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #20
There are several varieties of combat systems in RPGs, some of which don't appeal to me. I prefer systems in games such as Avernum and EV Nova.

--------------------
"On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and the tossing of the sea" Luke 21:25
Apprentice
Member # 8633
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by ezAndy:

quote:

I'm just tossing an uninformed opinion here, but I thought that the engine would have to be rebuilt from scratch to change from a single player game to what you have proposed. The battle system too, probably. And, correct me if I'm wrong, the maps aren't designed for a deathmatch in mind.
So... you'd end up creating an almost entirely new game. *shrug*

No, the engine would need to be aletered to have all orders come from a player (for same pc), or add some code to have orders come from 2 computers. The engine itself wouldn't be altered, just the input. Much different. The battle system is fine how it is.

As for the maps, there are plenty of areas that they could snip from the different games to create the arenas. What exactly defines having deathmatch in mind to you? There are plenty of boss fights and large scale battles that have maps that work for that....
Lifecrafter
Member # 375
Profile #22
quote:

quote:
Originally written by ezAndy:

quote:

...And, correct me if I'm wrong, the maps aren't designed for a deathmatch in mind.
So... you'd end up creating an almost entirely new game. *shrug*

As for the maps, there are plenty of areas that they could snip from the different games to create the arenas. What exactly defines having deathmatch in mind to you? There are plenty of boss fights and large scale battles that have maps that work for that....

Well, I would have thought that a single player map would use exploration as a goal so the user would check out every corner for hidden treasure (this is used in tandem, of course, with the usual quest of killing everything or picking up the special item, etc.) Whereas a network map would be used for players to get quickly to one spot to the other. I'm reminded of a guideline in _Marathon_ network maps; you have to have a flow, as to not frustrate people with a slow lag or whatever. I'm sure someone else could explain this better.
Anyway, I know that this isn't Marathon, but shouldn't the basic principles be the same?

--------------------
"I liked white better."
Apprentice
Member # 8633
Profile Homepage #23
There were certain areas in all of the games that were used for larger battles. Those are the parts im saying would work as maps.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #24
quote:

Just asking...

I do find the combat fun. Especially when it augments the plot, and other factors. There's a difference between playing the whole package, and having a few creations try and kick the crap out of one another repeatedly.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - pretty, pretty?

Pages