Name Choice

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Name Choice
Warrior
Member # 8872
Profile #0
I've recently been wondering how Spiderwebbers chose their names. So, I've put together a simple poll to find out. Please post your response as well.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 1 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=wtIWNHVzekSX"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=wtIWNHVzekSX"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Feel free to rate my karma. Please. I like to have an idea of what people think of me.

The Mystic: "Vista is a funky and finicky OS to begin with."
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #1
It reminds me that posting on a message board is stupid, and I should instead be fishing.

--------------------
Vogel - "10% off on all of [our] products for the month of October. ... this discount applies to games, CDs, bundles, and even already discounted products."

Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #2
Mine is from the Pendragon Cycle by Stephen R. Lawhead.

[ Monday, October 29, 2007 17:57: Message edited by: Taliesin ]

--------------------
"We were meant to live for so much more. Have we lost ourselves?" - Switchfoot
----
My poetry
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #3
Current moniker is short for Jewels of the Forest which references my characters in an RPG of yesteryear. Put down it reflected my interests since it seemed the closest. I do enjoy my gems... and the forested outdoors.

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
I was aware of the Spidweb pseudonym tradition in the vein of Alcritas, so I wanted one of my own. Kelandon was a character in a story I wrote (not the protagonist, and not a character that I particularly identified with, but a rather snobbish elf prince).

I originally came up with the name in the way that Asimov came up with R. Daneel Olivaw: I took a normal name (Landon, as in Landon Donovan) and mucked with it. The "Kel" syllable seemed vaguely elf-ish.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #5
We need to start creating new topics. Given that I have like no originality for nicknames, I used my real name. M. is short for it.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #6
My name was passed down to me from my father, who received it from his father before him. Meaning "Star Hammer" in the tongue of the ancients, the first Tullegolar named himself for the very weapon he used when he first forged the empire in the heat of battle.

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #7
Okayyyy. Welcome back, Tully. I don't think we have any stars to hammer around here right now, but now I know whom to call, should it come up.

As for my elucidation:

H. - None of the above, though "A. - It reflects my interests" is close.

Synergy reflects my values, whether it's a gaming, social, mechanical, chemical, culinary, romantic, or spiritual context.

And I like things that start with 'S'.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #8
Mine came from reading the "Dark is rising" by Susan Cooper. i ment for it to be Rowan like the wood that one of the seals was made from but dyslexic spelling took over and made me write Rowen. I like it so I kept it.

My new name that I use because of Rowens growing popularity is Nixak. I like that one too.

--------------------
Rahhar...
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #9
Mine's a random variation of an old nickname. Actually the UBB never accepted my original registration so I changed it when I tried again and never bothered to change it in all this time.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
Arancaytar is a combination of letters that follows the phonetic style of Tolkien's languages. It isn't specifically Quenya or Sindarin, but it is meant to sound nice when pronounced, like cellar-door.

I thought of the name long before I started using it. This must have been in 2001 or so, when I was 14 and had my alter-ego with godlike powers. I suppose it's fortunate I didn't start roleplaying around then.

On my first forays online (between 2000 and 2002), I used a short form of my real name ("Chris") or various characters from Tolkien. I remember leaving comments on the ADOM site as "Gollum", "Smeagol" and "Aragorn" (it only had guest-posting). At the online game Mankind, I used "Earendil" and "Elrond". My first email alias was "elven_mage" (which I no longer use because it sounds rather... anyway.)

When I first registered at a forum with the intention of staying longer than a few posts (Santharia, April 2003) I used "Arancaytar Ilyaran". Only weeks later, I had my first email address with "arancaytar". When I registered at Spiderweb in May, I was so used to the name that I decided to use it everywhere.

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Warrior
Member # 7254
Profile Homepage #11
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belial
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
What about your other name? :P

(Never mind.)

--------------------
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Warrior
Member # 7254
Profile Homepage #13
It's rather self-explanatory, now isn't it?
Shock Trooper
Member # 10374
Profile #14
Laki is my nickname, Ra are first two letters of my last name and @ is there for better apperance.

Its not very creative I know but I can't bother with making up my name so LakiRa@ it is.

I could always change it if I find more creative name.

--------------------
If you listen to LakiRa@ all will go well!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
Mine is euphonious even if the teeming Philistines can't pronounce it right.

—Alorael, who uses random character generation and adds and removes letters to taste. The fact that his name sounds like an Old Testament angel is purely coincidental.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #16
I found the name in the book The Merlin Conspiracy, by Diana Wynne Jones, misspelled it when setting up an AIM account(in the book it's Nichothodes), and continued to use the wrong spelling.

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Lolology:

—Alorael, who uses random character generation and adds and removes letters to taste. The fact that his name sounds like an Old Testament angel is purely coincidental.

Aylorayel? Allorah-ell? Ahloräl?

quote:
I was aware of the Spidweb pseudonym tradition in the vein of Alcritas
That's quite a bit of research to do before registering somewhere. Spooky...

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
Ah-lore-æl (that's an ash, the last syllable rhymes with gal) and Al-or-ale are my favorite pronunciations. Nobody really calls me Alorael verbally, so pronunciation isn't something I worried about when I picked it.

—Alorael, who realizes he also misunderstood the poll. It's about PDNs. Most of his are picked either for his own amusement or as very oblique references to what's been happening in his life. Some of them contain secret messages. He has, in fact, given out most of his personal information encoded in PDNs.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #19
Nalyd's original name was "Doomer". He was ten. Give him leeway. After not posting for several years, Nalyd changed his name to "-X-", and began posting. After a period of name-changes, including "Dr. Strange", Nalyd settled on "Thoughts in Chaos", a Starcraft quote. "Nalyd" is Nalyd's real name, Dylan, backwards.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Warrior
Member # 8872
Profile #20
My name comes from the complex geometric pattern--at the time of signup, twas one of my great obsessions. Here's a definition.

--------------------
Feel free to rate my karma. Please. I like to have an idea of what people think of me.

The Mystic: "Vista is a funky and finicky OS to begin with."
Shock Trooper
Member # 10374
Profile #21
I don't seem to understeand people who change their names constantly to something that doesen't have any conection with previous.

For some of you I am not sure is it you by different name or someone else?I get very confused and sometimes don't realise who is posting.

--------------------
If you listen to LakiRa@ all will go well!
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #22
I started posting as Goldenking. Then I started messing with the name choice randomly, sticking to the basic *Insert Noun Here* -king.

--------------------
"This is the King of the Knob Goblins. All Knob Goblins everywhere bow to his rule! Which would be impressive, if there were Knob Goblins anywhere except Cobb's Knob."
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Lolology:

Alorael = IMAGE(http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/texte/images/euphonium.jpg)

My name is the nickname of my actual name, which is Andrew Miller, my original display name.

--------------------
In today’s America, there are more World of Warcraft players than farmers.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #24
Drew: Awesome.

My name was originally a fictional character back when I had it in my head to write some sort of novel. My short-lived attempts all seemed like ripoffs of Zelda storylines, but this character stuck around. I mean, I guess it still appeared in one of my half-baked stories, but other than that, it's just the name I use everywhere.

It also happens to be a Turkish city where camel wrestling apparently takes place. Pure coincidence, but imagine my surprise when playing Civilization as the Greeks and one of my new cities pops up as Ephesos. :P

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

Pages