How did you guys begin?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: How did you guys begin?
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #0
I'm just wondering on how you guys begun.
And what I mean is how did you begin with posting and such?

Please put a link to one of your first posts/threads or place an example.

How I started can be found at this link.
As you can see, I have much improved.

--------------------
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.
I like this image
Iffy= Infernal Flamming Muffin. The y is added to make a word.
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #1
I came when I was 12, which should tell you the quality of my posts.

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #2
I began posting with pretty much my current diction and persona right from the get-go. (Language like a thoroughbred should be cared for in the stable as if worth a thousand pounds, and ridden in the field as if it werent't worth half a crown. Edit for commas.) Minerva from the brow of Jove was never in it: just age. When you join a board at 36, you're learning that community, but not community as such. Between physics, Christianity, and the infantry, I was already adequately chummy with the lowest of the dead.

Which those who are closer to thirty than twenty years younger should take entirely as encouragement: hang on, it gets easier. In particular, Master Iffy: everyone has juvenilia but not everyone has persistence, so relax, you're doing fine.

This message brought to you by a bottle and a half of good Pfälzisch wine and the fact that my wife is back from a business trip. If half of it were liquor, blest be the vintage. I give after-dinner speeches at reasonable rates.

[ Saturday, October 20, 2007 10:35: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #3
By registering. How else? :P

A naive BoA enthusiast. After going through a phase of being a complete and utter moron, I've progressed to what you see today.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaEl PresidenteWhere the Rivers MeetA Visit to the Madhouse
AvatarAphobiaIMAGINE THIS SCENARIO
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #4
Oh please, you were always so incredibly well-behaved and articulate, I was shocked to find out how young you really are.

I started posting on some BoA thread, having successfully registered the member number I was after. Man, the search function for the archives is both fun and easy to use.

[ Saturday, October 20, 2007 14:31: Message edited by: Redstart ]
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #5
I wasn't shocked. ;)

I'm fairly sure I posted something, probably in Avernum, when I registered in 2001, but the archive only has posts from Geneforge 3's release in 2005. A selected chronology of posts:

1 - my first appearance in the archive is, predictably enough, probing the mechanics of Geneforge 3.
26 - first defense of Exile graphics
41 - first proclamation of SoT's wisdom
58 - first Torment challenge

I then took a break for six months, and came back for Avernum 4:

87 - reappearance, complaining about broken nephilim
94 - first argument with Synergy
125 - first research into EE topics
126 - first discussion of how 80's RPGs were better
132 - first facepalm
140 - first syntactic analysis
164 - first rant about Chitrachs
182 - first attack on Vahnatai Creationism
201 - first argument about prescriptivism

It wasn't until post 252 that I so much as clicked on the General forum, and we all know the horrible events that have ensued. The amusing thing is that my posting habits don't seem to have changed much at all in the admittedly less-than-a-lifespan that's passed.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Making poorly-sourced claims is not the same as determining something."
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #6
I ventured in after finishing the Avernum Trilogy and wishing to make comment upon my experiences and preferences. I gave my critiques of the games, what I liked and what I didn't. I really don't like mazes to this day.

Next I inquired into party sizes and singletons, which I had not experimented with much yet, but soon came to enjoy.

Next, after having undertaken a number of BoA scenarios to maintain my Avernum fix, I was compelled to provide a passionately antipathetic review of TM's Canopy scenario. I felt personally insulted being forced to be the puppet of his personal madness in order to finish that scenario. Somehow, this, if anything, ingratiated me to TM, though he was presently banned on SW, as usual.

Shortly thereafter, my contributions (d)evolved into three primary categories:

1) Silly banter, wordplay, jabs, teasing, joke threads, an ongoing unstoppable seepage of particularly painful puns, and an irrepressible penchant for alliteration I have never been able to get under control entirely. Nothing is sacred. All things, including oneself, are fair game for good-natured derision and ironic observation.

2) Lusty debating and arguing on science, metaphysics, and spirituality/religion with anyone whom I permit to get me going. Which occasionally still happens, and is always a telling exercise for me, and which I enjoy, even when I don't.

>Intermission< ... Synergy made a point of his departure from the clutches of the Spiderweb, and actually managed to leave for a half a year to pursue "real" relationships and "real" life. He finally came back to beta test GF4 and never quite slipped off again.

3) Synergy Lists and Singleton Stories.

HONORARY BONUS CATEGORY: Locking the inane threads of others. Perhaps one of yours.

-S-

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #7
I have no idea. Probably started when I was 10 or 11. Some meaningless post on the old ikon or icon boards, whatever they were called. The first topic I started that got meanigful replies was Nephilim vs. Slith.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #8
I started at 11. I've already tried to find my first few posts with no real luck, but I think it was either a question about GF2 or anwering a GF2 question.

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
CSM RIFQ
Neopets Do join, it's fun. Do you know what is the answer to the greatest question ever? It's here.
Shock Trooper
Member # 10374
Profile #9
I started about month and a half ago so I am sure I started with this topic.

And I think I have improved since then, and also this post is my first use of URL.

--------------------
If you listen to LakiRa@ all will go well!
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #10
The first post I found in the Archive was one speculating what was behind the Mysterious Door of G2, which we now of course know was Ghaldring. However, I am fairly certain my first post was actually a topic of suggestions for G3, which included among other things a fellow Shaper student who could fight beside you.

--------------------
"This is the King of the Knob Goblins. All Knob Goblins everywhere bow to his rule! Which would be impressive, if there were Knob Goblins anywhere except Cobb's Knob."
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #11
My first post was (surprise, surprise) in the Nethergate forum asking a question.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #12
Nalyd cycled through several bad gimmicks, including Urrrachti, being the offspring of notable members, etc. He settled on plain old third-person and angst before adding necromancy. Before he added necromancy, there was his "mini-mod" phase. He's moderately less annoying now. Nalyd's first post was. . . somewhere. He remembers something about Nethergate. . .

[ Sunday, October 21, 2007 11:23: Message edited by: Thoughts in Chaos ]

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #13
It was actually in the BoA Forums. The archives are both boon and bane in that respect.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaEl PresidenteWhere the Rivers MeetA Visit to the Madhouse
AvatarAphobiaIMAGINE THIS SCENARIO
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #14

I like beta testing.

--------------------
Vogel - "10% off on all of [our] products for the month of October. ... this discount applies to games, CDs, bundles, and even already discounted products."

Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #15
Did Salmon really begin as "Smoked Sturgeon"?

-S-

P.S. - See my previous post—now with fascinating, exciting, and handy links!

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #16
delete me

[ Sunday, October 21, 2007 13:22: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #17
Is this gonna turn into one of those sappy "where they came from" shows?

--------------------
Vogel - "10% off on all of [our] products for the month of October. ... this discount applies to games, CDs, bundles, and even already discounted products."

Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by VCH:

The first topic I started that got meanigful replies was Nephilim vs. Slith
The first incarnation of the topic? o_O

I've told this story far too often, so "2003-05-20", "15 years" and "Avernum 3 didn't work in NT" are the condensed version.

All of these numbers are counted backwards from the number of my posts on PPP. About 800 are missing from there, so the number quickly becomes extremely inaccurate.

#1: Tech support question
#60: "note to self: never visit desperance if I value my sanity" (I chose this post because it represents a pearl of insight amid an embarassing mass of crap).
#92: I wrote a long ballad about Erika Redmark, which had some second-language idiosyncrasies, but with some editing is better than most of the poetry I've written since then.
#120: I "explain" the four-fold system of alignment (or "D&D Political Compass") as best as I understood it (I had first heard of it days earlier). Funny how odd "good chaotic" now sounds to me - since then I've learned that Lawful/Chaotic comes before Good/Evil.
#122: I "intend to read Phillip Pullman again in 10-20 years to see if my outlook changed". Awesome - it didn't take 5 years, and I didn't even need to read it again.
#169: I make a contribution of debatable value to a political discussion topic, the aftermath of which is the source of the name of my blog.
#206-#260: Build-up to what will eventually become...
#261: The Encyclopædia Ermariana, first mentioned online. (Pretentious ligature since dropped from title.)

(... oh ye gods, I'm so dumb. This is painful to read. So many hundreds of posts, so many emoticons, so much idiotic spamming. At least about 400 posts are missing from this time, and I have no particular urge to see them again.)

#979: My first ever RP post!

#1053: We reach some ugliness again. Sorry Johnnyfeds. You've annoyed me on AIM a few times, but that was out of line.

But I got my comeuppance - if memory serves, Djur gives me a good smack a few pages later... (which has disappeared though - all that remains is the first reference to "Elfy McSpamface").

Quotes:

"What the hell is wrong with Ezboard?"
"I'd make a terrible mod."
"And what is a 'blog'? My dictionary doesn't have it."

Wow. It has taken most of a day to make this post - I've done other things in between searching the archives, though.

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #19
I think my first post was on August 20, 2007 in the G4 board on the topic "ornks". I'm relatively new, but I had been going to these forums for almost a year before that. One reason I don't think I'll be an oldbie is I often don't check the forums for days on end. Also, looking back, I've noticed that dikiyoba seems to be watching over me. She has already reached the status of god, hasn't she?

--------------------
Let's all just shape gazers and hope it goes away.

I make guacamole at work
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by Iffy says Hell is overrated:

I'm just wondering on how you guys begun.
"I was born a poor black child."

Actually, I think my first post involved a question about VotDT, but my first substantive post was in response to FBM (#618) regarding Wicca and Beltane. Looking back, I find that I have over the years become much less tolerant and patient, and much more childish. Maybe it's because the same arguments get rehashed over and over. Liberal burnout and almost 2.5 years of law school may have something to do with it as well. :)

EDIT: Whatever happened to spy.there? She was pretty nice, as I recollect.

[ Sunday, October 21, 2007 18:56: Message edited by: Drew ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #21
I'm pretty sure my first post was something bemoaning the nature of A3's plot compared to A2. I can't find it in the archives 'cause they're lame. :P

Then I kinda latched onto this Blades of Avernum thing.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #22
My first post bemoaned the idiocy of not separating fanfic from canon, which some *cough* *Drakefyre* *cough* are in the habit of failing to do.

It's pretty remarkable how direct my path was from the beginning. Right around that time, I started work on Bahs, and my threads pretty much said what I was going to do.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #23
Eph: Pre-2004 content of the game boards was the province of PPP2, which has never been fully recovered. Specifically non-Blades content is missing from that time, unless a few of the original PPP2 participants send in their stuff...

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #24
Apparently, it was asking for help in Nethergate. I remember making that post too. Ick.

Edit: Sigh. Those were good times. Mangoes. The weather ballon. Stuggie...

[ Monday, October 22, 2007 03:04: Message edited by: Ballad ]

Pages