Xbox 360 XBLA support

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Xbox 360 XBLA support
Apprentice
Member # 9882
Profile #0
Hi All,

I just sent an email to Jeff & then noticed he
had a board. I'm wandering if he'll ever try to
port some variation of his games over to the
Xbox Live Arcade system (XBLA) suitable for
downloading his games. Or produce his own boxed,
DVD versions. Any possibility?
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #1
He already prints disks, you can order them from the website (I do, Just like to keep them around for some reason). I don't see a benefit to porting them to XBLA the games are designed for a keyboard and I don't think it would translate well to a controller. The games are lightweight enough that any computer made in the last 10 years should be able to run them so I don't think there is anyone that's really clamoring for a console version. There's a lot of expense involved in developing for XBLA anyway, plus clearing MS anyway (they have full control over what is released on XBLA).

[ Monday, August 20, 2007 11:18: Message edited by: macdude22 ]

--------------------
http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join.asp?idr=412684821
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
He makes things for Macs. Then, because he needs to stay in business, he ports them to Windows. He has repeatedly rejected going to consoles.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 9882
Profile #3
That's too bad. I don't really see playing
retro games such as these very strange on a
console. Clearly, it would require some thought
in managing the button commands & possibly
movement, but I'm optimistic that it could
work. But perhaps, there is some issue
with going through MS to put your game in
XBLA. I don't know what that entails, could
be a large upfront cost. Still, it could be
worth it, from a marketing & audience
perspective.

I'm guessing that if the Xbox or gaming consoles
& their networks really take off, it will
hopefully get easier for the indies to offer
their games over XBLA.

Centisteed
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #4
Jeff, as an independent business owner, has the fortunate ability to pick and choose his audience. I suspect that as long as he is able to make enough money off of the Mac and PC crowd, he will avoid the extra work necessary to cater to another audience. If there comes a time that he can't survive off the current markets, he can make a decision about console games. In the meantime, it is highly unlikely that his time will be spent porting games to a multitude of consoles, when it could instead be devoted to designing new games for the console-challenged markets.

--------------------
WWtNSD?

Synergy - "I don't get it."
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #5
I am actually very interested in XBLA. Every Indie developer is. It is, by all accounts, a very lucrative place to put a game.

However, it is also very difficult to get in, and my sorts of games are not something they are clamoring for. I have to compete with far bigger development houses.

I am watching events on XBox very carefully, though. Porting a game to XBox is something we'd be very interested in doing if the opportunity opened up.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #6
That was unexpected.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Kingy:

That was unexpected.
It sure was...

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Apprentice
Member # 9882
Profile #8
Awesome! I hope XBLA will work out for the Indies.

Thanks for the comments,
Centisteed
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #9
It's been brought up before, and answered the same before. It's a pretty huge market, and the upside of classic RPGs not being well represented is that Spiderweb isn't as likely to be muscled out by a larger company.

--------------------
To lose one parent, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.
- Lady Bracknell
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #10
"That was unexpected."

Don't see why. There is a world's worth of difference between online distribution and manufacturing a jillion CDs/cartridges. Sony, etc. will never let me make a full game, but these channels for indie developers are intriguing.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #11
Nothing would please me more than to kick back on the couch and hit a Spiderweb RPG on my big ol HD TV. Oh man higher res sprites and wide screen..... I'm droolkinating already.

--------------------
http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join.asp?idr=412684821
Apprentice
Member # 9882
Profile #12
I was reading some info about the XBLA & it
stated they were looking for short games. However,
they are porting board games, such as Talisman,
& old PS2 & PC platformers (such as Prince of
Persia & Castlevania: SotN). None of these are
very short, IMO. So I think they'll make exceptions on length. There are lot's of retro
games to entertain us with. I think Vogel's work
fits right in.

Demand to get into the XBLA environment is huge,
so MS will hopefully cave in & expand this to
include the multitude of games that want to be
on its system one of these days, I would hope.

I'm rootin' for Spiderweb games to make a dent.
:)

Centisteed
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
I am actually very interested in XBLA. Every Indie developer is. It is, by all accounts, a very lucrative place to put a game.
If you haven't checked it out yet, JV, I highly recommend the XNA Framework (and the XNA Studio Professional release coming out fairly soon). Granted, it makes hell for porting to OS X, but you can write code that runs without extensive change between the XBox 360 and the PC.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
Jeff programs for Mac first, though. Hell to port backwards probably isn't his cup of tea, and starting on PC probably isn't either.

—Alorael, who at least hopes not. Getting the games first is nice Mac perk on Spiderweb. (Cue Mac vs. PC flamewar and queue topic lock to follow.)
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #15
Probably not, but that's the simplest, best way to work with the XBox 360.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

"That was unexpected."

Don't see why. There is a world's worth of difference between online distribution and manufacturing a jillion CDs/cartridges. Sony, etc. will never let me make a full game, but these channels for indie developers are intriguing.

- Jeff Vogel

Because all posts at the beginning of this thread say the same: "Jeff has tunred it down before and will do so now again." Now you come and post, and say you think it's a good idea. Therefor, we are taken by surprise a bit. Espacially because there have been a lot more of these topics in which is also said that you will not release your games for consoles.

I will not buy an Xbox, never. I have heard too many bad things about it.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

Agreed. Any console that has regular problems with catching on fire isn't really on my list of good investments.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #18
For me, it is that consoles are really only good for one thing. At least with a computer you can pretend that you might get some worthwhile work accomplished.

But if Jeff is interested in expanding the fanbase, moving away from computers and into consoles might be the right direction. It is just that other similar approaches have been rejected out of hand that this comes as a surprise. But I admit to knowing a comfortable nothing about xbox, so it may be the next sliced bread for indie game designers. Anything is possible I guess.

--------------------
WWtNSD?

Synergy - "I don't get it."
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #19
XBOX would be a bad idea. Many people who have an XBOX/XBOX 360 like games where you can blow off your friends' heads.

Though I could be wrong. After all, I here about XBOX mostly at school.

--------------------
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.
I like this image
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #20
That's not limited to XBox. Almost every game console has had at least one game where you could do that, usually several. And comparing one console to another from the same generation, in my opinion, is like comparing apples to more apples. They all do the same thing, and have extremely similar methods of getting there, excluding Wii.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Variable Seasons:

Jeff programs for Mac first, though. Hell to port backwards probably isn't his cup of tea, and starting on PC probably isn't either.

—Alorael, who at least hopes not. Getting the games first is nice Mac perk on Spiderweb. (Cue Mac vs. PC flamewar and queue topic lock to follow.)

Actually XBOX games were first tested and demoed on Mac computers when the XBOXs weren't ready. Microsoft regularly developes graphics on Macs and then ports them to PCs.

I love that Jeff releases games first on Macs. Considering how few games have Mac versions it's a definite perk.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

quote:
Originally written by Thralni:

Agreed. Any console that has regular problems with catching on fire isn't really on my list of good investments.

I didn't hear about that one, actually. Now it's just one more reason not to buy it, though. But what I was reffering too, was the enorous amounts of complaints of people in Holland whose game CDs got very badly scratched because of astupid mistake Microsoft made while designing the XBox: they forgot these tiny cushions that should make it impossible for the CD's surface to touch the lasereye and that way get scratched.

Yes, Microsoft is still denying any reponsibility and says it's the owner's fault, even though there are hundreds upon hundreds of people who have the problem.

Randomizer: yes, Bill gates indeed admitted that in that interview he had together with Steve Jobs. Apparently it was when the Xbox was about to be released and games were designed, when Microsoft ordered the biggest amount of Macs in the history of Apple. How ironic is that...

[ Thursday, August 23, 2007 00:19: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Iffy:

XBOX would be a bad idea. Many people who have an XBOX/XBOX 360 like games where you can blow off your friends' heads.

Though I could be wrong. After all, I here about XBOX mostly at school.

Yeah, I think it has to do more with your audience than the Xbox's. KotOR I and II are two of my favorite console RPGs.

--------------------
It's only an eye, my lord.