What makes a great game a great game..

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: What makes a great game a great game..
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #0
When we play video games what do we look at? The graphics? Mostly if a game has good graphics..its good..

I like those games with eye-candy graphics..but here I am playing SpidWeb games..

In RPGs..do we just look at the graphics? Or do we consider the storyline? How about the gameplay? The story of the game? The soundtrack?

In the Battle System..do you care if the game is Turn-Based or Real-Time? How about if it's typical Hack and Slash or Strategical?

Or, heck..do you even look at the moral dilemmas?

Of course..this poll is not limited to RPGs..there are great non-RPG games out there.."Crash Bandicoot" to name one.."Halo" to name another..

Ya can choose up to two..do explain your point(s) of view..

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 1 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=WXKwwOKGWtZD"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=WXKwwOKGWtZD"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
This is reality. No one can help you. Sit back and enjoy the show.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #1
I've gotta say its them all. I mean, all of those things combined would make a brillaint game.

Moral dilemmas are fun for me. I'm generally an ass in game and my dilemma is more if I can get away with killing them and robbing them for their -
Weapons/ammo/houses/horses/armor/clothing/coupla bucks/experience.
I love the kinda games that allow me to do that, such as Morrowind/Oblivion.
Warrior
Member # 5302
Profile #2
I really like games where I have a lot of options, but far more so than that, I want my actions to have an actual impact. I too enjoy being a complete ******* in games but honestly, it didn't matter at all in Morrowind. You could slaughter an entire town and it would only amount to a couple thousand dollars on your head and maybe a broken quest line or two. The worst part was killing one of the major gods and the only difference being the main quest being ruined and a single dialogue change for every single cookie cutter NPC.

Wow, okay, back on topic. Graphics are nice, but I'd rather have a game with lots of style as opposed to a high poly count. I've never noticed background music and usually just listen to my own. Battle systems are great when I have lots of tactical options but mostly combat just gets in the way. I don't even know why moral dilemmas is seperate from storyline.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #3
Yea, it does seem kinda stupid that an entire town can die with little to no consequence. Speaking of that, does anyone know of any good games where what I do does actually make a large impact?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Kingy:

Speaking of that, does anyone know of any good games where what I do does actually make a large impact?
Well, there's Fallout and Fallout 2, but chances are you've already played those. Actually, pretty much anything by Troika Games (a studio founded by three of the guys who made Fallout) is good for that sort of gameplay, if you don't mind tracking down fanmade patches to fix the bugs.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Apprentice
Member # 9351
Profile #5
hmm... im not sure about games that make a constant impact depending on what you do but in the fire emblem series, if you lose a character, you are rarely able to get them back, which Could amount to a large impact overall through the game, as well as certain characters unavailable because of the dead units along with less support conversations(which give units, overall, small upgrades.)
in Dynasty warriors, what yo do does effect how long you hvae before you win or lose with each battle, but otherwise, theres not much impact.
Oh and what you said on slaughtering a town and whatnot, reminds me of fable.
Now, on the thing that makes a game great for me... well, A combination of everything. Graphics are okay but not mandatory. the battle system really only changes how you play, fps, rts, turn based, real time. For the sound track, i may not need much music, but I would rather be listening to something at least interesting that changes once in a while(sonic music:D). Storyline gets people hooked, but so does the gameplay. if the story is possibly the greatest thing ever however the gameplay is very poor, than some people may still play it. At this point, a combo of both good gameplay and storyline is needed.
well now you'e heard my '8-bits' of info on my part :D

--------------------
Hullo, have fun:D
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #6
You should have given an option to be able to put in more than two. I wasn't able to answer the poll because it wasn't two of them, or all.

But one thing that is really important is the story line.

Oh, and examples of great games are Avernum 2 and Geneforge 4.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #7
Gameplay is critical. Just think of all the simple games we are addicted to...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #8
"Good" graphics actually make me less want to play a game. I don't know why, I guess I just like simplicity. It's why I got bored by live-action movies and shows as a little kid; simple cartoon art made me much happier.

[ Wednesday, August 15, 2007 08:16: Message edited by: Screen Name of...Wool Sweaters ]

--------------------
"Of course, not all technology is good. Some is exactly the opposite (bad)." — Dave Barry
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #9
Storyline is good, but I think that gameplay is critical. I mean, some of the games I've played are so bad, no matter how good the story is, that I just can't play it.

--------------------
i dont ned noo steenking signachur.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #10
Storyline to get me interested enough to try the game, gameplay to keep me entertained enough to keep playing.

Dikiyoba does need some graphics in a game, but they don't have to be fancy, just functional enough that Dikiyoba can tell what something is at a glance. Music, combat, and moral dilemmas don't have to be present, but they can't be terrible if they are.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #11
Well I meant of story line as one of the factors. I think game play is essential too.

Also, if music is included with the game...I can't just mute it. At all. Even for Spiderweb Games.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #12
I think for me with music and sound effects I generally listen to them the first time around so I can get the full effect of the story that they are trying to show me. Second time around since I already know what happens I usually turn off their music completely, play with the sound effects half down and have my own music going in the background.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #13
I chose Soundtrack and Gameplay..

I chose Soundtrack cuz' sometimes you get that nostalgic feeling that you want to play a game if your hear a certain music that is closely related to it..

And Gameplay..as I said..a great isn't great without great gameplay..

--------------------
This is reality. No one can help you. Sit back and enjoy the show.
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #14
If a game has a good soundtrack that matches the storyline (i.e: Majora's Mask, Song of Healing during Dead Goron's flashback), it gets my seal of approval.

And I'm sure no one wants to play a game with bad graphics.

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!