Hintbook Questions

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Hintbook Questions
Apprentice
Member # 8854
Profile #0
So I'm contemplating buying the Geneforge Trilogy CD (or maybe the Avernum Trilogy CD, since it's cheaper. But I think I'm more immediately interested in Geneforge.).

And I am intrigued by the thought of the hintbooks, but given that there are walkthroughs elsewhere online, and the hintbooks are another $20 that I'm not sure I can spare, I would like a bit of assistance with my decision. Specifically, I would like to know if there's a sample from any of Spiderweb's hintbooks available anywhere. I really don't care what game, I just want to have a general idea what I'd be getting in terms of writing and specificity of content and that sort of thing.

Also: I notice that the Exile Trilogy hintbooks, when bundled with the CD, get a further price discount but the Geneforge and Avernum Trilogy hintbooks don't. What's the reasoning there?
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #1
This should probably have been posted in GF. Can someone move it?

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #2
No, this shouldn't be posted in the Geneforge forum. It's at home here. If you read the forum description for General, it says:

"A general discussion forum for our company and games."

This includes all general things, as well as non game specific questions. Asking for how useful the hintbooks are is general.

Now, to answer the question, you most likely wouln't need them. The games are fairly selfsupporting, and even then walkthroughs can help you. I, alas, can't post a bit of the hintbooks though.

--------------------
Pass the sauerkraut and chips please.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #3
Posting hintbooks would be slightly illegal, methinks. Or am I backward again?

--------------------

Apprentice
Member # 8854
Profile #4
Heh, I know I don't *need* them. But there's a strong likelihood I want them. Especially if Jeff wrote them himself. :)

And I'm not asking for people to post hintbooks, I was wondering if Spiderweb had ever made a sample available. I could swear I saw something like that a long time ago.

[ Thursday, May 31, 2007 12:49: Message edited by: malkav11 ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #5
You could get walkthroughs for free. Look up Schrodinger's.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
Part of the hintbook is usually included in the manual you download with the games as the walkthrough for the beginning. Not all the games include it, but some earlier ones do. I'm not sure when (or if) Jeff stopped. Mostly I've paid progressively less attention to the instructions.

—Alorael, who thinks you can skip the hints with ease. Online walkthroughs are usually much more thorough, and while it's nice to support Spiderweb it's not necessary to break your bank account for it.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #7
They have instructional stuff, for the basics. As you said, it is included in the game file and in the download file.

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #8
The Hintbooks are nice, even if they aren't needed. I've still got the Exile ones sitting neglected in a box in my room. Eventually, I'll senile, forget everything I know about Exile, and need them again. But if you can't afford them, don't bother. I'm pretty sure most of the Hint Book costs are the costs of actually making the book. Take the money you would've spent on Hint Books and buy more games.
Apprentice
Member # 8854
Profile #9
Yeah, I wound up just buying the Geneforge Trilogy CD (and Blades of Avernum, since there's that discount for purchasing it alongside something else).

But maybe if I feel the urge I shall snag 'em later.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #10
The best part of the hintbooks is the maps. Jeff prints out the world map and most of the significant dungeons. Everything else is availble online or you ask for help,

Some of the games do have annotated maps online so check first before buying if you need the money.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #11
The best part about the hintbooks is that you don't have to ask a question here, only to have it criticized and not answered at all.

You don't need the hintbooks. gamefaqs.com You may want the hintbook to fully explore things, as the gamefaqs may not have every detail worked out. I bought the Ex3 hintbook and didn't regret it. Especially for the golem factory. Stupid belts...

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Some Slimy Idiot:

Especially for the golem factory. Stupid belts...
A-freakin-men
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #13
I'll take conveyor belts over a beam puzzle anyday.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #14
I like the hintbooks, I end up using them every once and a while and it's nice not to break the mood to go search the internet when I'm playing, just grab the hintbook n go on my way.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #15
There is something the be said for having a physical book to look at, rather than the computer.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #16
In my opinion, any obstacle that comes your way can be solved using your own intellect. I only recall one incident where I "needed" assistance, and it turned out I failed to follow directions.

--------------------
WWJD?
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

In my opinion, any obstacle that comes your way can be solved using your own intellect. I only recall one incident where I "needed" assistance, and it turned out I failed to follow directions.
Now we know what comes after sliced bread.

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #18
I'm very obsessive compulsive, so I like to explore things in the order that they are numbered in the hintbooks. Unfortunatly, this meant I was really thrown off when Cotra appeared right in the middle of Dark Waters in Avernum 2, and I was totally lost when there was no longer an outdoor map in Avernum 4. But in the end, it is still nice to have those nice, printed maps on hand.

--------------------
You lose.
Warrior
Member # 8872
Profile #19
I have most of the hintbooks and I think it is worth it. They have lots of great information and are very easy to use. I think it is much more pleasent to browse through pysical pages. I confirm that the maps are very nice. I find the hintbooks very efficient, and in the end, I find that they are very satisfiying, especially the fact that you voulantarily gave more money to Jeff. ;)

--------------------
"The mouth is like the city gate. Opening it lets the soldiers of stupidity into the world."
--Shaper wisdom from G2

Porcrastinators Unite...Tomorrow!
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #20
By the way, Fractal, your sig quote is (basically) from G2.

quote:
The mouth is like the city gate. Opening it lets the soldiers of stupidity into the world.
Dikiyoba bets your hintbooks didn't tell you that. :P
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #21
Nalyd doesn't touch them until he's completely finished the game, and then he looks to see what he missed.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Warrior
Member # 8872
Profile #22
Dikiyoba,
Foolish me! Bad memory. I haven't played G2 in a long time (about a year).
Is it just me, or am I the only one who truly cares about having a collection of enjoyingly written hintbooks?
EDIT:
quote:
If that is what Dikiyoba thinks, Dikiyoba is completely correct!

[ Wednesday, June 06, 2007 01:16: Message edited by: Fractal ]

--------------------
"The mouth is like the city gate. Opening it lets the soldiers of stupidity into the world."
--Shaper wisdom from G2

Porcrastinators Unite...Tomorrow!
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #23
Nalyd enjoys it. . .

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Apprentice
Member # 8854
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by Fractal:

Dikiyoba,
Foolish me! Bad memory. I haven't played G2 in a long time (about a year).
Is it just me, or am I the only one who truly cares about having a collection of enjoyingly written hintbooks?
EDIT:
quote:
If that is what Dikiyoba thinks, Dikiyoba is completely correct!

No, you're not. That's a large part of why I was even considering ordering the hintbooks - generally I rely on Gamefaqs or other internet walkthroughs unless no such thing exists for that game or I badly need pictorial references that Gamefaqs is unable to supply.

Having something I can refer to in my lap playing console games is also nice, but doesn't justify $20 for a guide. And is of course irrelevant for my computer games, where I'm sitting right next to the Internet or its local outpost at any rate. :)

But I've been known to buy a strategy guide without owning the game if it's sufficiently entertaining. Working Designs guides are a hoot. I just wish I'd picked up the Arc the Lad Collection guide when I had the chance.

Unfortunately, I like games better than guides and not starving to death better than games (although only barely), so I don't think hintbooks are in the cards right now. As a separate (precisely the same price) purchase in the future? One never knows.

Pages