It's About Time

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: It's About Time
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #0
www.blizzard.com
Warrior
Member # 6923
Profile Homepage #1
I have one thing to say.

:D

That is all.

--------------------
"There are no turtles anywhere" Ponder Stibbons
One, Two, Three, Pfhor, Five…
Avernum 2 AM Status
- Maps - Tomb of Dahris-Bok
- Annotation - Fort Draco/Ganrick Spider/Areana Caves
I have an interest in "custard titles". I want one. Now!
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #2
You think that's exciting? I thought we were RPG lovers here. 17 days!

--------------------
You lose.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #3
On one hand, it's another Fallout. On the other, I've had trouble caring about Bethesda's stuff for a good while now, whereas everything Blizzard makes is made of gold.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Imban:

On one hand, it's another Fallout. On the other, I've had trouble caring about Bethesda's stuff for a good while now, whereas everything Blizzard makes is made of gold.
I'll concede on that last point. But I think you underestimate the power of the Fallout... and Bethesda. What does everyone have against the Elder Scrolls series?

--------------------
You lose.
Apprentice
Member # 8406
Profile #5
starcraft sucks.
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #6
Not any more than rest real-time "strategy" games. Actually, it sucks less than most. In fact, it sucks so little I actually had fun playing it years back on local library's computer. I'm still sad they deleted it...

But, Starcraft 2? As the site said: Hell, it's about time!

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

I'll concede on that last point. But I think you underestimate the power of the Fallout... and Bethesda. What does everyone have against the Elder Scrolls series?
I didn't mind Morrowind and liked what little of Daggerfall I played, though I found doing combat in Morrowind kinda boring. Oblivion bored me to death before I even finished the first dungeon, what with needing to juggle a sword and a torch.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #8
You do need to like RTS to like Starcraft. Most will admit Starcraft is the best in its field. I didn't think it was so much better than my personal favorite, Warcraft II. I'm still happy to see the continuation of the series, though.

So Imban, you found real time, first person, sword slashing, magic shooting, good graphics combat boring? I don't understand how one can enjoy Spiderweb games and not appreciate far more sophisticated ones. They're more anal than Jeff when it comes to placing forks and spoons, and you can even read every book you find on the shelves. It's really the next level of RPGs.

By the way, you can turn up gamma in the game menu to render torches obsolite...

--------------------
You lose.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #9
Spidweb games have combat that's really all about tactics, whereas Morrowind's combat was just kinda about running away while shooting arrows until stuff fell over in a pile.

I should have tried the gamma thing, though. Maybe if I ever reinstall Oblivion.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #10
Plus, the Spiderweb plots are better in my professional opinion(and my unprofessional one, too).

But yes, StarCraft 2, which was set up in one of the bonus levels that apparently not everyone found, has been set up for since the StarCraft expansion. It should be good. Not sure if it'll be better than C&C Red Alert 2, or even C&C Generals(I hate you EA Games and your not being as cool as Westwood Studios, and announcing the release of First Decade just after I get Generals), but it should be good none the less.

[ Saturday, May 19, 2007 10:46: Message edited by: Bandit Keith ]

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Warrior
Member # 5302
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

So Imban, you found real time, first person, sword slashing, magic shooting, good graphics combat boring? I don't understand how one can enjoy Spiderweb games and not appreciate far more sophisticated ones. They're more anal than Jeff when it comes to placing forks and spoons, and you can even read every book you find on the shelves. It's really the next level of RPGs./QB]
If Oblivion is the next level for RPGs, I think I'll go back to tabletop.

Yeah, they put forks and spoons all over the place, and yeah, there's lots of books to read. Most of the books were copied directly from Morrowind (and if I recall, some from Daggerfall before that) and honestly, who cares about cutlery? I'd rather have a great RPG with a few neat details than a subpar first person shooter with lots of details.

On topic… I'm really looking forward to Starcraft 2. I just hope they don't do something stupid like throw in the WC3 hero system.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #12
Some people clearly do not appreciate the attention to detail that goes into creating the life-like environment that Oblivion tries to portray.
Though it is one of my all-time favorite games (and Imban, if you boost your brightness a hair, you never have to use a torch in the entire game), I do not believe Oblivion to be the next generation of RPG... instead, I believe it to be the next step in a major transition toward a realistic form of gaming that will rival the medium of film in the necessity of experience and portrayal of reality.
Some people will simply not like this new form.

Starcraft 2... my roommate is going to be weeping for joy...
I'm looking forward to a continuation of the storyline, myself. And, of course, the fact that it's going to use the Havok physics engine.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin has requested to use my room as pie storage for the duration of my sojourn.
I denied this request on account of the cooling system that he had intended to implement... Filling a room with liquid nitrogen and then tossing pies in is not going to help him any.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #13
I have heard a lot of good stuff about Oblivion. Or at least, my friend found it good stuff, but I was not entirely convinced. The problem lay for me in the plotline, which I found, to say it bluntly, boring. The lifelike environment, as Lenar said, did seem very good and one thing that is certaily good. What also seems good to me, is the feeling of a huge world, that the mountains you see in the distance can be actually travelled upon.

Again, though, I didn't play the game, so I might find it very boring, too.

But actuaklly, of RPG, it's actually only the SW games I like. That's basically only for the plot and the feel of the game, the huge world and the talking to other people and discovering things. I dislike the combat, anbd I dislike it in every game. Take a FPS like Prey, and I enjoy it, but why? It's because of the sheer greatness, not the combat. I enjoy looking around, seeing the architecture, looking at details. I like exploring alien worlds.

There was a time I liked RTS, and then mainly AoE. Now though, I find it sort of boring. I heard of Starcraft. never seen it, never played it. but odds are I'll dislike it.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #14
Mmmm. Starcraft 2. I'm very excited! Too bad Blizzard's site isn't more dial-up friendly.

En Taro Adun!

Oblivion is boring. And the archery and riding systems suck. That is all.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #15
Edit: HAukgahg HAGhL:GKAGIEIH KDJ:GGISG:Ldg HAUGLAGHALGIEHGALGUAGHAGLHAGHALGH!!!!!!!11!!1!1!!!

[ Saturday, May 19, 2007 13:33: Message edited by: Enraged Slith ]
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #16
Is it too late to rag on Oblivion? It is? Oh well, I'm going to do it anyway.

That game was boring as hell. It's like what Shadow Warrior(from the guys who brought us Duke Nukem) would've been with a more interactive, detailed environment, better(excluding people) graphics, and a lot less coolness factor.

From an artist stand-point, what I find especially crappy is the custom character generation. Those stupid basket ball headed freaks really got to me quickly. And the textures... my god they were horrific. Soul Calibur 3 and Def Jam Fight for New York had far superior character generation set ups and much more interesting storylines and better replay value.

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Arachnid:

I just hope they don't do something stupid like throw in the WC3 hero system.
And just what was the matter with the hero system? It was great. You guys will complain about anything, won't you?

I agree that Spiderweb games have better plots. I've always said it's the reason I play them. I hate their combat, which is why I always cheat, but I always come back for a good story, which is something Elder Scrolls is indeed lacking.

Now that I think about it, the Starcraft plot can really only go downhill at this point. The expansion ended with Kerrigan victorious, which is the best ending I could have hoped for and most of the people I didn't like all died, which was awsome. I really hope Kerrigan doesn't pull a Darth Vader in the end.

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
Although I've never owned Starcraft, I'm excited for the sequel. Expression of joy!

—Alorael, who liked heroes well enough in Warcraft III. They were, in fact, a logical expansion of all the unique characters in Starcraft. Heroes seem like they should be unique in Starcraft, though, because the spirit of the game is things exploding and dying messily, not things surviving to wreak indefinite havoc.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #19
Agree with Alo on both counts-- heroes were fine in WC3, without heroes it was just SC with a lower food limit. But the hero system doesn't really fit in SC, carrier fleets and zergling hordes tend to discourage wasting too much time building up heroes.

I'm looking forward to it, Blizzard has yet to do me wrong (Alright, Beyond the Dark Portal was awful but I'll let it slide....)

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Apprentice
Member # 8596
Profile #20
The vast armoies of Zerg grow larger... and now have cat ears. Kekekekeke.

--------------------
ni~pah
Apprentice
Member # 8615
Profile #21
I just hope Blizzard won't pull a "Starcraft: Ghost" on us. I was looking forward to that one.

--------------------
~ Eschar Blacke
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #22
Zug' Zug'!
Lok'thar!

Oops..sorry wrong game..

En Taro Adun!
And probably a noobs favorite: Power Overwhelming!

POWER TO THE DARK TEMPLARS!!

--------------------
Oh you're a cute Adze-Haakai you are..
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #23
Since I haven't played WC3... What are Heroes in Warcraft, and are they anything like the units in the C&C games that progressively ranked up as they killed stuff? Or are they people like Tanya or Borris?

I need some clarification....

--------------------
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #24
Heroes are units in Warcraft III that can gain up to 10 levels. Each hero has four unique skills/speels: three skills which can each be invested in three times, and one "Ultimate" skill which can be invested in once at level 6. Heroes can also use items to boost their own stats.

EDIT:
My biggest hope for Starcraft II is that Battle.net does not allow custom made maps for regular melee games. Starcraft was destroyed by the fact that most people wont play anything but money maps.

[ Sunday, May 20, 2007 07:12: Message edited by: Enraged Slith ]

Pages