Where You At Now?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Where You At Now?
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #25
Political science sophomore (possibly becoming a senior next year), and I don't intend to leave higher education without at least two PhDs.

Poli sci is definitely one of them; my specialization in the politics of oppression means that the other is liable to be either history or sociology. (Economics is a horrible thing to have to study in an American university.)

My career arc ends with one, two, or all of tenure, the bar, and political office.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #26
Long since graduated and stuck in a rut.

At least I've got Nethergate: Resurection to keep me going. Jeff doesn't like Roman druids, but they like killing faeries.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by Protocols of the Elders of Zion:

I don't intend to leave higher education without at least two PhDs. ... Economics is a horrible thing to have to study in an American university.
You've got a while to think about this yet of course, but two PhD's are very rare, for good reason. A PhD takes a long time, especially in the humanities. Most people are quite sick of being a student after the first one, and want to get on with doing something with their lives. Nor does high ability really allow you to speed up the process: if you're really good at the stuff, pumping out an average thesis in half the time will only destroy your CV, so the thing to do is produce a really good book over the usual six years.

And there's no real need to take two degrees. University departments are arbitrary divisions, and the words on your diploma are irrelevant. What matters is just what your advisor does, what you learn, and what publications you write. None of these is constrained by departmental affiliation.

Writing off all American econ programs seems a bit hasty. There are definitely American versus European preferences in any field, but American academia is huge, and I'm sure you can find any viewpoint in the world represented with distinction by some US academic. But why restrict yourself to the US, anyway? Higher education is global. And for the interests you state, I would think you'd really better train in economics, or you might spend your life haranguing about how things should be, and getting shot down by people who claim to know how they must be. Being able to fight fire with fire is a good asset.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #28
Finishing up my second year of college majoring in Aerospace Engineering. Like Kel, I'm struggling along with Thermo, but Dynamics is even worse, in my opinion.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #29
I am actually in 7th grade. Right now is spring break, and after that will be more CSAP ( Colorado Student Assessment Program)

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.
Muffins n' Hell. Note that revisions of the first part is down the list.
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #30
Second year in vocational institute, studying heating, plumbing and air conditioning. Only a Little bit more than a year to go before graduating.

EDIT: Stupid typos.

[ Saturday, March 17, 2007 09:41: Message edited by: Frozen Feet ]

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #31
Plumping?

See Saps?

-S-

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

Perhaps you would like to ponder the aesthetic of less is more. Quality over quantity. Ah so. :P

I do realize how giddily exciting is just to see oneself in print here.

-S-
LOL!!! Excuse me while I roll on the floor a while. The irony is killing me, really. At least you're better then you used to be, man! :P

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #33
The thing to watch out for in graduate academic programs is that there will be a decent advisor in your area of interest that will be around for years. Otherwise you can spend years having to grind out a dissertation on something you don't care about because that's what your advisor wants.

Also watch out for bigotry. Some departments like psychology are know for having narrow minded approaches on how their area is to be approached. You can find that a different interpretation is graded as wrong even if you can support your view.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #34
Hmmm....umm, Jewels—have a look at my post count and my starting date. Now note the same for any of our vocal noobs, perhaps making some mathematical extrapolations.

There is also something to be said for saying something well in even fewer words, and I also aspire toward that, but I meant quantity in terms of posting, not how many paragraphs and words one uses.

-S-

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #35
I'm a little late to the thread, but congrats anyway, Synergy!

As several other people seem to be, I am an undergrad in my sophomore year. I'm pursuing a degree in Environmental Studies, to eventually end up... doing something. But the material interests me, and I'd rather spend my academic career in a field I enjoy than in one where I'd have a guaranteed job.

Of course, with the amount of time and energy I put into improv, I might just end up in Second City or somewhere similar one day (insert obligatory dream-crushing here). There's a possible point against the whole "can't get a job outside your major" idea.

And then again, if I could ever actually get a job in the game developing industry, I'd be ecstatic. Of course, I can't program outside of Avernumscript... but there's got to be room for creative consulting, writers, and people who make pretty towns, right? (more dream-crushing goes here)

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #36
quote:

Hmmm....umm, Jewels—have a look at my post count and my starting date. Now note the same for any of our vocal noobs, perhaps making some mathematical extrapolations.

There is also something to be said for saying something well in even fewer words, and I also aspire toward that, but I meant quantity in terms of posting, not how many paragraphs and words one uses.

-S-

Ya,ya. I know what you meant. I just found 'less is more' incredibly funny coming from the guy who composed a PM so big an empty box rejected it.

*peeks at own post count and start date*

Hmmm... :P

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #37
Seventh grade. GPA= 3.8.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #38
Ninth grade. Pure hellishness, I tell you.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #39
quote:
Originally written by Death Twisted:

Seventh grade. GPA= 3.8.
I graduated with a 2.4. UNLV technically shouldn't have accepted me.

But I got a perfect verbal score and a fairly high math score on my SAT, so I got in automatically.

The more you know.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #40
It seems average age here is increasing. I wonder if this reflects a change in the age of Jeff's audience, or simply hostility towards younger members.

About me, I graduated university a little over 3 years ago with BS CS and BA Math. (At some point I realized that I could get a math degree by taking just a couple extra classes, so I went for it, because an extra piece of paper is always good to have.) Currently I am working in a software company (QA automation to be exact). I got a new job recently, which requires a lot more actual work than my old one, so I can no longer waste hours at work browsing forums like this one.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #41
Zeviz, I'm glad you chose this thread to waste your time in.

Alec, you've got such a sharp mind. What were you doing with it in high school?

Frozen Feet, when you graduate, maybe you can install something to thaw out your toes. Which reminds me of one of the ironies of my alter career: When you are an electrician, you don't have any decent lighting until you are done with the job.

Jewels, yes you are a model of self-restraint now, aren't you?

Ephesos: a man of integrity and ideals. I'm impressed.

-S-

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #42
That's a lot of bread to butter.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #43
quote:
Originally written by Death Twisted:

Seventh grade. GPA= 3.8.
4.0 :P

'Cause I can...

--------------------
Bring back TM or [i]DIE.[/i]

To spread the hype, as well as cause your crush's name to appear on the screen, copy this into your signature.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #44
quote:

Alec, you've got such a sharp mind. What were you doing with it in high school?

I was generally too busy sharpening it to bother showing it off.

To wit: having a 2.4 was the result of getting no lower than a B on any test (or an A on any non-math-and-science test) and never submitting any homework less substantial than a term paper.

I had better things to do than to spend two hours a night demonstrating I knew something four or five times in a row.

[ Monday, March 19, 2007 18:45: Message edited by: Protocols of the Elders of Zion ]
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #45
Two and a bit years into my current job, and starting to think about possible career moves - not because I'm unhappy where I am, I like the job, I like the people, and I get regular large pay rises. But I just don't want to stagnate careerwise, so I'm looking at other options. Decent amount of cash saved up. Considering proposing to my girlfriend.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #46
Yay I've been sigged! Huzzar!!

I have just applied for a degree in English and Philosophy, starting this fall. This is for a couple of reasons - I was going to go last year, but then decided not to. It's not as if I regret the decision, but now I've had a year sat on my assets, I realise that I want to do something more. I'm not one to sit around. Hopefully I'll get in - I have way more points than the required number to get in, but I'm a bit late in applying, so it could go either way.

Plus, I want a nice gown. :)

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #47
quote:

I'm not sure that even expiates you, Synergy, if you account for the rather long period of time during which you were absent from the boards. In your heyday you were usually in the top 10 posters list, no? Anyway, I had the same reaction Jewels did... it was a humorous comment coming from you.

quote:
Originally written by Protocols of the Elders of Zion:

I graduated with a 2.4. UNLV technically shouldn't have accepted me.

But I got a perfect verbal score and a fairly high math score on my SAT, so I got in automatically.

I don't actually remember what my high school GPA was anymore, but it wasn't good. My situation was almost identical to Alec's, right down to the SAT scores. I got into a top-rated school off of recs, scores, and good writing alone. I remember hearing a few bitter comments from pencil pusher classmates.

quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

It seems average age here is increasing. I wonder if this reflects a change in the age of Jeff's audience, or simply hostility towards younger members.
Hostility towards newer members + the aging of the original populace. I'm always somewhat surprised when I realize how young many of the oldbies were back in 2001. Pre- and neoadolescents! I can only imagine how our septuagenarian eskimo felt then...

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #48
quote:
Originally written by 227 Chitrachballons:

quote:

I'm not sure that even expiates you, Synergy, if you account for the rather long period of time during which you were absent from the boards. In your heyday you were usually in the top 10 posters list, no? Anyway, I had the same reaction Jewels did... it was a humorous comment coming from you.

Eh, fair enough. I don't think I've ever been accused of being spammy though, if that's anything in which to take comfort. I think I made top ten about four times, but that could be selective memory. I'm rather pleased to hear some of you aren't playing the good little student game and are still shining and making things work for you. I think there is much to be desired with what we consider the education process and with what we actually get for our money. The insane cost of higher level education still ensures something of a class divide in our "classless" society.

-S-

--------------------
La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #49
May I show off a little?
BA in Engineering. (Unusual sort of degree, yes)
Worked
MSc/Diplome d'Ingenieur in Materials
Worked
Cert Ed (teaching qualification)
Worked, married, had 3 children, worked
PhD in mathematics education
Worked
Stopped working to cope with high maintenance family.

--------------------
I am a mater of time and how .

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!

Pages