Excellent lockings

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Excellent lockings
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #0
1) Aran recently achieved what I consider the best locking ever. "Goodbye peryui" joins my lexicon. It's not so uncommon, alas, to have to express what it expresses so well: calm acceptance of the fact that athough bafflement remains, dismissal is necessary.

2) The only real reason for making a whole new thread here is that, while I was composing a post congratulating Aran as above, in another recent thread in which a remark about thread locking seemed not to be too much of a non sequitur, Imban locked the thread.

3) I invite any further commendations of our moderators for their work. If none are forthcoming, I can't imagine what will happen to this thread.

[ Sunday, February 18, 2007 12:40: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #1
My only regret is that I could not also add "I hate this thread."

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

I invite any further commendations of our moderators for their work. If none are forthcoming, I can't imagine what will happen to this thread.
I agree that the 'Topic for conversation... ...' and 'Most stupid thing you can think of.' threads neeed to be locked. But I think Imban may have gotten a little trigger-happy when he also took out the 'What do you hate. . .' thread. That one had actual potential for conversation, and at least should have been given a little more time to steer back on track before it was shot down. Less than decent typing aside, that topic was somewhat interesting, if bizarre. But I suppose that's just my two cents on the matter.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #3
All locked and misteriously all from the same starter... :cool:
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #4
It gives at least an interesting end to threads that are doomed to go. Sometimes the mods just lock and leave without explaining why. At least lately there has been more of an attempt to educate.

How long before this gets locked after stroking mod egos?
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #5
I don't think they will lock this...they may be bussy with the infernal muffin thing... :P
Those topics werent that bad, at least not with the propper posting guidance. Im sure that even more stupid post have been posted here and got a lot of replies :P
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Aran recently achieved what I consider the best locking ever.
What can I say? I am but a humble artist. There is not much skill to locking a thread, but it is a deeply philosophical process.

A few seconds of concentration.

Fingers hover over the "Reply" link, they click.

A mental checklist.

Pithy phrase? Check. Gimmick picture? Check. "Close Topic" checked? Check. It's kind of embarassing to write a locking post without actually locking the topic.

By usurping the last word, we must make sure that the words are indeed worthy of being the last. To a good joke, they must be the punchline. To a question, they must be the answer. To a debate or conflict, they must be a resolution that preempts all rebuttal. It must not invite or even leave room for further debate, for this only leaves its readers with an unsatisfying lack of closure.

To lock a topic is to exercise dictatorial power arbitrarily - do it on the wrong occasion, and it costs your head. A topic locking must not be an execution. It must coincide with the natural death. Like the Death of Terry Pratchett's Discworld, or the Abhorsen of Garth Nix's Trilogy, the moderator does not kill threads. She or he just makes sure they stop living once they die.

All these leads to the more serious considerations - is the thread bad? Can it lead nowhere worthwhile? Is it a blight on all that is good on this green earth?

A short period of introspection...

Cursor draws a circle around the "Add Reply" button...

It briefly hovers...

*click*

And it's locked.

IMAGE(http://ermarian.net/images/humor/thread/aran_islands.jpg)

Edit: All right all right, it's re-opened already. I was just making a point. For the effect.

[ Sunday, February 18, 2007 14:11: Message edited by: The Sorcerer ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #7
I need to nominate a custom title for Nioca.

Mini-mod

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #8
quote:
...the moderator does not kill threads. She or he just makes sure they stop living once they die.
Aran, you have outdone yourself. Bravo!

IMAGE(http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:Iaa0EMA3jQfbhM:http://www.prompt-communications.com/pics/applause.jpg)

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

I think Imban may have gotten a little trigger-happy when he also took out the 'What do you hate. . .' thread.
I would have been banned if that topic had stayed open.

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Spent Salmon:

Mini-mod

It's actually somewhat interesting that, of all the times you should bring that up, you do it a few hours after I became a moderator on Shadow Vale

Honestly, though, I doubt that it will get nearly as hectic as it can be here.

quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

quote:

I think Imban may have gotten a little trigger-happy when he also took out the 'What do you hate. . .' thread.

IMAGE(http://tyranicus.dreamhosters.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Perhaps it was a good thing that the thread was locked when it was.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #11
No, I'm pretty sure that that makes it a bad thing that it was locked.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #12
No, I believe it is a good thing. It's nice to have Tullegolar around. Even if his views are a little sdrawkcab. :)

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #13
Sometimes it is good to have him around, others however.....
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #14
Anyway, the reason I said "Perhaps it was a good thing that the thread was locked" was because I honestly didn't want to know whether I was on that list or not.

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #15
You are. Don't bother asking.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #16
Originally by Salmon:

quote:

Mini-mod
Nah, that's just typical responsible newbie behavior. Nioca doesn't become Spiderweb moderator material until he becomes cynical, engages in backdoor agreements with an admin or mod, and actively plotting against someone/everyone. Even then, there's so many canidates out there that the odds of getting the position is ridiculously low.

Originally by Nioca:

quote:
Anyway, the reason I said "Perhaps it was a good thing that the thread was locked" was because I honestly didn't want to know whether I was on that list or not.
You, Dikiyoba, and Drakefyre are probably the only ones not on that list. :P

[ Sunday, February 18, 2007 18:43: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

quote:

The more you claim to be a victim of persecution, the harder it becomes to target you.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
Untrue, thanks to Spiderweb's policy of staffing admin and mod positions with heartless evildoers. Tully should be proud of us, really.

—Alorael, who likes arbitrarily banning people. It's even better when he can do it and largely be cheered on for his efforts.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #19
quote:
—Alorael, who likes arbitrarily banning people. It's even better when he can do it and largely be cheered on for his efforts.
Which is why Lord Gardener needs to be given these powers/mightily wrest them away and claim them as his own.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #20
I plan against someone/everyone...

And arbitrarily, at that!

--------------------
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by moonear:

Lord Gardener needs to be given these powers/mightily wrest them away and claim them as his own.
Who is this Lord Gardener? A pruner of posts, perchance?

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #22
Emperor Tullegolar (because of a statement in the empire thread, though Dikiyoba doesn't remember what).
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #23
I agree with Nioca here, as I too thought that the "what do you hate" thread could have been a conversation-worthy thread. Not to mention that I had contemplated on starting such a threadonly two days ago. I eventually didn't start it, as I knew people were gonna say "I hate you" or something like that, and I wasn't in the mood for it.

So, right now I'm thinking which board should be blown up when I finally get round to make that nitroclycerine (believe me, I can actually make it. The store to buy these things isn't very far away), which member should be killed first, and if my PC finally deserves it too be thrown down of a twenty-story building.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #24
Wow. What a spamfest this place has become. I can name several people who would have been banned already if I had the power to do it, simply because they're friggin' annoying. :mad:

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge

Pages