Oldbiehood

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Oldbiehood
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #0
EDIT: Please vote before reading other people's opinions below.

Inspired by the topic about types of spidweb entrances, this poll attempts to determine what exactly the current community thinks an oldbie is... and just how much this differs from the traditional understanding of the term.

The list of members in the second question is somewhat arbitrary, but it is not random. It was chosen to provide a cross-section of reputations, current activity levels, methods and dates of entrance, member numbers, post counts, spam levels, name-changing tendencies, custom titles, etc., in order to yield a fruitful analysis.

[ Thursday, February 15, 2007 07:22: Message edited by: Hashi the Drug-Sniffing Canine ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 65 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=PMTdOaCnyFtB"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=PMTdOaCnyFtB"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #1
No TM?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
Yay for popularity contests.

I note that you included Alec in your list, but not Thuryl (Edit: And yeah, no TM either). From one thread I read, both of them are considered so old that nobody else really remembers when they arrived. Alorael is clearly an oldbie, and so, by extension, are Motrax and I.

Kelandon is border-line. He's been here for years (2004, and in the 4000s), he's a prolific designer and active on the Lyceum and Desp, but he is not in the BoE community - and he hasn't been here long enough that his tussles with Alec and TM have become a kind of cordial ritual.

You have a low member number, but didn't return until 2006. Salmon, Nioca, Randomizer, Tyranicus and Dikiyoba are definitely of the new stock. I'd consider Zxquez and Sullust nominal oldbies, but they're not particularly prolific.

Ed and Upon Mars are neither oldbies nor newbies, but ageless noobs.

[ Thursday, February 15, 2007 07:21: Message edited by: The Sorcerer ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #3
This was something I was actually pondering over the other day. I consider myself an oldbie, even though I'm probably not one. The things that swung my being an oldie, in my opinion, include:

a) Being here for almost 4 years.
b) Remembering a time when Misc was still fresh in the minds of all who sailed her.
c) Actually remembering waiting for the release of BoA
d) Not being able to read posts by newer members without thinking "well, that's just totally wrong."

I was going to embarrass myself by finding my first ever post on the PPP, but there doesn't seem to be a serach function. :(

Edit: By Aran's reckoning, what am I??

[ Thursday, February 15, 2007 07:25: Message edited by: Umph. xx ]

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #4
Aran, did you read the paragraph explaining how the list was chosen?

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Umph. xx:

This was something I was actually pondering over the other day. I consider myself an oldbie, even though I'm probably not one. The things that swung my being an oldie, in my opinion, include:

a) Being here for almost 4 years.
b) Remembering a time when Misc was still fresh in the minds of all who sailed her.
c) Actually remembering waiting for the release of BoA
d) Not being able to read posts by newer members without thinking "well, that's just totally wrong."

I was going to embarrass myself by finding my first ever post on the PPP, but there doesn't seem to be a serach function. :(

Edit: By Aran's reckoning, what am I??

Same as me, I think. I'm not sure if I'm an "oldbie", but I tend to think I'm in a "grandparent" generation by now at least. The "parents" would be members like Marlenny, Thralni, Dikiyoba, Tyran and Salmon, and the "children" include Randomizer, Nioca, Tully and Nemesis.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #6
Ha. I'll be interested to see what the exhaustive Slartanalysis concludes from all this data. Ideally we should develop an infallible test for oldbiehood, based on what set of people one considers to be oldbies. The true oldbies will (of course) all know each other, so will all answer the test the same way. All others will miss certain less prominent oldbies, or misidentify prominent newbies. No doubt there is a sociology dissertation in these hyar hills. Quite likely it has already been written.

From that sort of self-consistent-subgroup definition of oldbiehood, it would seem quite possible for a community to have two or more different sets of oldbies. The oldest oldbies might mostly have moved on, and so only be properly recognized among each other, while a newer but more active set of members might well hold oldbie status as well, according to the sort of test I am proposing.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #7
By Aran:
quote:
Same as me, I think. I'm not sure if I'm an "oldbie", but I tend to think I'm in a "grandparent" generation by now at least. The "parents" would be members like Marlenny, Thralni, Dikiyoba, Tyran and Salmon, and the "children" include Randomizer, Nioca, Tully and Nemesis.
A simple 'generation' scheme doesn't cut it; this is SpidWeb, after all. I suggest we use the 'Circle' ranking system characteristic of most secret societies. Anyone who was on the Ikonboard is a member of the 'First Circle', or 'Inner Circle'. Those who fall under the accepted definition of oldbiehood (no one remembers when they joined) are members of the 'Second Circle' (Aran's 'Grandparents'). The 'Third Circle' and 'Fourth Circle' correspond to Aran's 'Parents' and 'Children'.

Seeing as I came up with the idea, it's only fair that I receive honourary induction into the Inner Circle. Let the hidden rites commence!

--------------------
Order of the Stick! Your broken corpses will taste delicious lightly seasoned with nutmeg!
- The Monster in the Darkness (OotS #103)
La Canaliste
Member # 5563
Profile #8
;-;

I was one of the evil ones who crept onto the ubb before it was officially open... then it ate my number.

Since then I maintain a policy of non-postification.

--------------------
I am a mater of time and how .

Deep down, you know you should have voted for Alcritas!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #9
I don't think any of Aran's grandparents are beyond others' memory of joining.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by The Sorcerer:

Actually, I'd say we're part of the "adolescent" generation. The "children" generation consists of members like Sarasaphilia, Kyrek, Foxman, Infernal Flamming Muffin, Tarrasque, and Nico.

That said, who voted for me as a oldbie?

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #11
Conspiracy.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #12
Kyrek actually predates you, Nioca.

Anyway, adolescents and children aren't really two different generations.

--------------------
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #13
quote:

and so, by extension, are Motrax and I.
First rule of newb-hood. You think you aren't.

quote:

Salmon, Nioca, Randomizer, Tyranicus and Dikiyoba are definitely of the new stock.
I object to being grouped with them. They are >6000. If anything, I should be grouped with Fatman.

quote:

Ed and Upon Mars are neither oldbies nor newbies, but ageless noobs.
This could have been more specific. Was the question refering to Ed Lemur? I assumed so, and voted no for lack of participation past the newb-stage.

And who are the goofballs that voted for me? What perverse set of rules are some people following? Just because Drakey was drunk and gave me an asinine title doesn't make me anything more than a target for people like Slarty and Kelandon. Honestly, all I ever wanted was to be left alone so I could play N like all Vogel-fearing ubbians.

*sob*

[ Thursday, February 15, 2007 09:15: Message edited by: Spent Salmon ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Hashi the Drug-Sniffing Canine:

Kyrek actually predates you, Nioca.
I'm not counting his days as I_AM_A_MINOTAUR.

quote:
Anyway, adolescents and children aren't really two different generations.
Tullegolar, Nemesis, Nylad, and myself have been around for about five months. At any rate, we aren't complete newbies.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #15
I think the concept of oldbie has moved on from being a matter of experience to a matter of definition. To me, an oldbie is someone who takes it upon themselves to criticize people they don't consider to be oldbies for really petty things. Thuryl is the pinnacle of this, since he constantly makes it his job to correct others for simple grammatical errors and such. This is also why I consider Nioca an oldbie, because he fits the mold in that he likes to explain the rules to newcomers. Dikiyoba would also be an oldbie, because she understands or pretends to understand the Imban joke.

This is why, no matter how long I remain, I will never be an oldbie. First of all, I hate the stupid inside jokes. And second, it doesn’t seem sporting enough to attack weak newbs, I much prefer making life difficult for oldbies.

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

This is also why I consider Nioca an oldbie, because he fits the mold in that he likes to explain the rules to newcomers.
Um, I'm not the only one who's done that. In fact, you did it a few times as well.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #17
Well, I have a somewhat looser interpretation of oldbie, I guess. I wound up voting for most of the list, and I agree with Dintiradan about the circles idea (not about his inclusion in the innermost one, though :P ).

So it appears I am not an oldbie, by popular decree. *sigh*

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #18
I don't think oldbiehood is an absolute property. First of all, it comes in degrees. TM, Aran, and Diki are all non-newbies, but they are not equal in oldbieness. Second, I believe oldbiehood is relative: I may be an oldbie to people who are newish to me, but Alec will never look upon me with anything but scorn and derision.

—Alorael, who can of course think of reasons besides oldbieness for Alec to scorn him, but despite poor choices of example the concept holds. Everyone is an oldbie to someone with the possible exceptions of Ed and company.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #19
Oldbies are the ones with drool on their keyboards.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

Um, I'm not the only one who's done that. In fact, you did it a few times as well.
Did not. Do you realize how out of character that would be for me?

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #21
I will refrain from posting 'Did too' as a response. But you did.

On a separate note, can someone give me another vote? I don't want to be compared to Ed!

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #22
I registered in July '06, while Nioca registered in September '06. So how can Nioca be an "adolescent," and I am a "child?"

My post count is lower because I probably don't have as much free time.

And I will see if MacGuyvere will vote for you, so you will not be compared to Ed.

[ Thursday, February 15, 2007 10:39: Message edited by: Sarasaphilia ]

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #23
Because you only recently started posting on a regular basis.

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #24
That would be because my schedule only recently cleaned itself up.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.

Pages