Geneforge or Avernum Series?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Geneforge or Avernum Series?
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #25
1. Avernum.

2. From what I've heard of A5, I'd say Avernum.

3. Too long... ohh, trying to work it out now... five or six years, so not too long.

4. I own only a PC, although I downloaded A4 for Windows from a school Mac...

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #26
1 - Geneforge

2 - Geneforge

3 - Since Nethergate.

4 - Mac.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #27
1. The Exile trilogy is the best.

2. The Geneforge series seems to me to have most promise for the future [although, like others, I would prefer to see an entirely new series before long].

3. I started playing Exile II in 1999, and I'm still playing it, in between all the newer ones.

4. I play on a PC.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Warrior
Member # 7735
Profile #28
1. I prefer Geneforge for many reasons, but most simply because there are canisters.

2. I've heard that G4 was superior to A4, but I haven't played much of anything other than G1-3 so I have no opinion.

3. I've played since... maybe 2002? Geneforge 1 was the first game I've ever played.

4. PC, I want a Mac to play the games earlier :(
Apprentice
Member # 7592
Profile #29
Ok. Here's my answers (I finally got around to posting).

1. This was a pretty hard question, but in the end I'd have to say Avernum series, though I might reconsider this.

2. I think, though Avernum started strong, Geneforge is definitely looking up for a good future. Avernum 5 could change everything if Jeff does it right, though.

3. I've only been playing since Avernum 3 came out (I think) in 2002, though I started with Avernum 1. I also took a long break in late 05' from the games and didn't start up again until October.

4. I play on a PC. Always have and (probably) always will, though it does make me furious that I have to wait for the games.

[ Tuesday, January 02, 2007 11:39: Message edited by: thedudealex ]
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #30
1. I like the Geneforge Series the best. I don't like the "confinement" in Avernum 4, where you have to follow a set story line. I haven't played Avernum 1-3, the Exile Trilogy or Nethergate, but I have gotten the impression that they are also confined to one path, except for Nethergate. I plan to play Nethergate's second version, but didn't play the first version because I found the eating aspect very annoying. I stopped playing Avernum because, from the demo, I didn't think it would be worth it to buy. I didn't play Exile because it had the same story as Avernum.

2. I personally think that the Geneforge Series has the brightest future. The plot is different from anything I have ever played or read. People get tired of the same, "kill the bad and save your country" plotlines, and with the choice yours, as to who you join, the plotline is stronger than the average story(excluding Geneforge 3.

3. I've only been playing since Geneforge 2. I hadn't heard of Spiderweb Software before, but when I played the Geneforge 2 demo, I got hooked.

4. I play on a Mac, which is by far the better of the two choices for preformance.
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Kyrek:

4. I play on a Mac, which is by far the better of the two choices for preformance.
Let's not get into a Mac-PC war here. Besides, performance has more to do with the hardware than the software. There are certain PCs that perform better than certain Macs and vice versa. :P

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #32
Actually, a lot of software takes significant performance or system requirement hits when it's ported. Fortunately, Spiderweb isn't all that performance-intensive in the first place, and I think the porting is all done fairly competently.

—Alorael, who is sure that those who insist on pointing out that Jeff is not a brilliant programmer would take exception to this. The games work, though, and nobody seems to be unable to run them on reasonable machines.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by To each his Spain.:

—Alorael, who is sure that those who insist on pointing out that Jeff is not a brilliant programmer would take exception to this. The games work, though, and nobody seems to be unable to run them on reasonable machines.
Hah. Reasonable machines. I like how that's worded. I have, still in use, a Performa 578 and an original iMac G3. Neither work excessively well, in fact both are well on their way out. If I can get the Classic thing to work on my dual processor, I will retire both computers of my uses. (I've got the links to the instructions, I just haven't had a whole lot of time to look at them.)

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #34
Oh! Oh! I have a great idea! Let's start a PC vs. Mac argument, but instead of debating the virtues of the platform itself, let's talk about the software that comes bundled with it! I'm sure that would make a great commercial!

--------------------
This post sponsored in part by the exclaimation mark.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #35
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

This post sponsored in part by the exclaimation mark.
Really??

How unique.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by thedudealex:

I have a few questions I want to ask people.

1. Which series do you think is better? the Geneforge series or Avernum series

2. Which series do you think has a brighter future (i.e. more games, more popularity, etc.)

3. How long have you been playing either of these series. Who started the day A1 was released?

Thanks for your answer.

1. In my opinion, Geneforge.
2. Probably Avernum. Not Geneforge. Sniff...
3. I started playing Geneforge when it was packaged in the software bundle 10 For X.

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Infiltrator
Member # 2245
Profile Homepage #37
1. Which series do you think is better? the Geneforge series or Avernum series

Geneforge series

2. Which series do you think has a brighter future (i.e. more games, more popularity, etc.)

Given that Avernum 4 was a flop, I don't place much faith in the upcoming Avernum 5. Also, since I've heard that Geneforge 4 is a great success, I'd have to say that the Geneforge Series has a more promising future.

3. How long have you been playing either of these series. Who started the day A1 was released?

I've been playing ever since Exile 1 (version 1.0) was released for Mac. Yes, I'm an old school fan. Surprise surprise.

--------------------
VIVE LA TAKERS!
VIVE LA REBELLION!
VIVE LA GHALDRING!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by Waylander:

Given that Avernum 4 was a flop, I don't place much faith in the upcoming Avernum 5.
Call it a travesty if you wish, but "flop" implies that it was bad and didn't sell.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #39
Given that Jeff does pay attention to feedback from his customers, and that he is on a new roll with G4 (and the A4 engine,) I predict that the next game will be the "best" and that:

1) The reworking of Nethergate will be a significantly bigger success than its first outing; what a great game! I'm eager to see this, because I never quite finished the original due to its engine.

2) A5 will do very very well and should be at least as good as GF4, considering Jeff seems well aware of what didn't go over well with A4 and his announcements for A5 sound promising.

-S-

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Warrior
Member # 7000
Profile Homepage #40
quote:
Originally written by 7Synergy7:

The reworking of Nethergate will be a significantly bigger success than its first outing; what a great game! I'm eager to see this, because I never quite finished the original due to its engine.
What was wrong with engine? If you have a problem with the engine, don't expect 2.0 to change that. It will still use the Nethernum engine.

[ Tuesday, January 09, 2007 16:06: Message edited by: Tyran ]

--------------------
"It's sort of like Star Wars. Except Jeff didn't make Erika shoot first in Avernum 3, nor did he introduce annoying computer-animated aliens." —Arancaytar
The Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #41
The dialog system

The encumbrance system

800 x 600 and the map overlapped anything else on the screen in order to be visible

Can't look at equpiment stats without unequipping them

Clunky way of handing gear between PC's.

There are a couple other similar things that bothered me, but I can't think of them. The point is that I get annoyed at or impatient with games where an action is repeated many times, and I can't do it in an intuitive or simple fashion. Jeff keeps improving on such things in each new game engine overall. When I get used to better interfacing and more streamlined tasking of basic things like this, it is even harder to go back to something clunky and old.

EDIT: What Jeff said reconfirms it's not an engine change, but sounds like a significant engine tweaking. I can be happy with that if it takes away the tedium factors that killed my earlier attempts to finish.

-S-

[ Tuesday, January 09, 2007 16:43: Message edited by: 7Synergy7 ]

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Shock Trooper
Member # 7662
Profile #42
From what I could see, Avernum 4 was deliberately simplified to speed up game play. Maybe Jeff was trying to appeal to arcade game enthusiasts? Possibly he took the simplification a bit far. It also had a more linear plot than usual. To top it off there were no boats or means of flight.

On my PC the Exile graphics are nice and bright, relatively realistic for 2D versions. While BoA graphics are dull and as angular as any skyscraper. (I mean that outside clff graphics are angular.)

Blades of Avernum has a theoretical potential to be more versatile than Exile but this potential is not always realized. Move to new town can only be called by stepping into a special encounter&&. Certain things possible in Exile are not possible in BoA, for instance Recall Crystals.

As for the future, the only way to tell is to see how Avernum 5 turns out.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #43
Nethergate could reasonably have most of the engine tweaks up to A3/BoA, and that would be lovely.

—Alorael, who still prefers the Nethergate engine to the Geneforge engine. Real time is for people who react faster than molasses. And playing cursor hunt on fast-moving people you need to talk to is really unnecessary.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #44
Nethergate

From what Jeff said, most of the tweaking will be in the inventory part that is archaic. I'm looking forward to the new dungeons that he plans to add. A little new plot so the game isn't a complete repeat.

Avernum 5 - I'll wait on the release to see if it should be subtitlted - Wait, I seen this before.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #45
I agree with Synergy. Though I didn't find it unplayable, there were many minor annoyances. The map was probably the worst for me. Where are you supposed to put that damned thing?

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
Originally written by Tyran:

quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Played since late 2000... Started playing Exile series on Windows 3.1
You were still using 3.1 in [i]2000?![/i]

What's so odd? I remember starting to use Windows 95 back in '98 - I was using 3.1 before.

And then moving on to NT4 in 2000... I even remember a time when I loved XP.

*shudders and washes hands*

[ Wednesday, January 10, 2007 02:25: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #47
Originally by Synergy:

quote:
Jeff keeps improving on such things in each new game engine overall. When I get used to better interfacing and more streamlined tasking of basic things like this, it is even harder to go back to something clunky and old.
Well, most of the time. Dikiyoba just hopes the new encumbrance system in G4 is really good, because it appears to have the same "improved" inventory screen that drove Dikiyoba nuts in G3/A4.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #48
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Well, most of the time. Dikiyoba just hopes the new encumbrance system in G4 is really good
It is. Encumbrance has changed from an arbitrary hindrance to a balanced game mechanic.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!

Pages